Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Upper St Clair Alliance Church

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

Joe, as Marvin pointed out, nobody's calling you stupid or uneducated. I believe, if you'll look back at what I've written to you, that I have gone out of my way to affirm you. I'm not certain why you think that on the above points (that the sower is the Son of Man, the good seed are the children of the kingdom, the tares are the children of the wicked, and the enemy is the Devil) I disagree with you. You keep repeating them as if I've argued against them, which I have not.

Blessings to you! I'm not sure this particular discussion has anywhere else left to go.

Denes

Could we use the children of Israel as a subject of God's election?

God knew before he chose that nation that they would fail him. So he 'closed their ears'. (If I remember correctly).

So in this way, he elected them as the family for his Son's birth. But he knew their reaction to their election. It became a stumbling stone to them. And then Jesus became a big stumbling stone. They felt their salvation was of their heritage and the Law given to them. God seems to affirm their behavior, their reaction but 'closing their ears'.

That's the way I see election.
Right now, anyway. :D

I want to live my life so that every morning
when I wake up Satan says, "Oh, no! She's awake!

#102 Guest_Troy McLaughlin_*

Guest_Troy McLaughlin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:00 PM

Hi Jay! Sorry it took me a while to get back to you, but here I am.

I appreciate your previous comments (posted on 1/22), and I’d like to address them one at a time. Hopefully you’ll find this exercise intellectually stimulating rather than mentally tedious. So, here we go…

I do believe that God chooses us, but that that choice is more of a mutual choice.

By using the term “mutual choice,” you’re saying that salvation is a shared responsibility, or cooperative. In other words, God may have done his part, but we still have to do ours. I think there are a number of problems with this position, and I’ll list a few here:

1. This position ignores the full ramification of man being a fallen creature. Left to his own devices, man would never choose God.
2. If salvation depends on man to any degree, then man gets to take that much credit for his salvation. There’s simply no way around this. You’d not only have to admit that the effectiveness of our choice to believe depends on Christ’s sacrifice but also that the effectiveness of Christ’s sacrifice depends on our choice to believe.
3. Not only would man get to share the credit for his salvation with God, he would also have some significant bragging rights with respect to his fellow man. Think about it. How many people do you know who have been exposed to the gospel as much as you have but still refuse to believe? I know quite a few. If these people “know” the gospel as well as we do, then why don’t they believe as we do? According to the “mutual choice” position, we’d have to conclude that those people are somehow less competent than us, because they have the same gospel knowledge as we do. Therefore, we could boast in our being more competent. 1 Corinthians 1:20-31 clearly undermines this conclusion and, therefore, undermines the “mutual choice” position as well.

Moving on…

All of humanity has been chosen for adoption and is offered forgiveness, redemption and salvation through the death and resurrection of His son, Jesus Christ. But like with any gift, a gift must be freely given and freely received. The Holy Spirit draws each and every one of us, but it is in our hands whether we choose to listen and receive what is being presented.

Here, I think you misunderstand the concept of “adoption.” When a child is chosen for adoption, it’s a done deal. The new parents don’t have to wait for the child to “accept” their decision. It’s made. And so it is with salvation. If God really did adopt all of humanity, then everyone would be His child. I believe this view is known as “universalism” and is clearly not Biblical.

While the New Testament teaches that everyone is “offered” forgiveness, it also teaches that only some are chosen to “receive” this gift. Not every gift must be “freely” received. As a parent, I know this from extensive personal experience, as I’m continually giving good things to my children that they are not “free” to refuse (food, clothing, shelter, etc.). The Bible teaches that faith is such a gift, that it is not “freely” received, lest we boast in ourselves (Eph. 2:8-9, 2 Pet. 1:1).

Concerning the “drawing” of men to God, consider the following: John 3:1-8, 6:44 and 6:65. The first two passages, especially, compel us to acknowledge that the Father and the Holy Spirit draw some and not all. It’s like being caught by a spiritual tractor beam, and it’s a very good thing to be caught by.

And finally…

This should draw us into asking what is the significance of things like a bride and a bridegroom, the betrothal, and wedding. The marriage between a man and a woman should be a mutual agreement between the two parties to come together as one. The future bridegroom would present a proposal to unite in marriage with the future bride. Then she would weigh the pros and cons of the proposal and choose for herself to accept or reject. Of course there are variations when it comes to pre-arranged marriages and the likes, but the point is that Christ wants us to choose Him because we want to be with Him. He doesn't want us to say "Yes" because we were chosen by His Father, but instead because we truly want to unite with Him in marriage.

I think it was very insightful on your part to consider this analogy for our discussion. Unfortunately, as with the adoption analogy above, I believe you have misunderstood the concept of betrothal as presented historically and analogically in the Bible, and I believe this misunderstanding has led you to further misunderstand the Biblical doctrine of election.

Historically, in both the Old and New Testament, betrothal was only a two-sided decision to the extent that the groom (or his father) and the potential bride’s father would need to come to an agreement, usually of a financial nature. The woman didn’t have a say in the matter, and consequently, this analogy is used to reflect what the Bible teaches about salvation. A man (or his father) would choose a woman to be his bride, and that was that. And so it is with us and God.

Does Christ want His bride to love Him? Yes. But, in our fallen state, we want nothing to do with Christ. We hate Him. Fortunately, and because it couldn’t be any other way, when God chooses His Son’s bride, Christ transforms her (Eph. 5:25-27). As a result of this loving transformation, we, the bride of Christ, now love Him (1 John 4:19). Christ is magnified not only by our love for Him but also by the fact that our love is only made possible by Him.

In conclusion, I encourage you to take a look at the following passages, which must be reckoned with when it comes to this divisive, yet significant, issue:

1. John 3:1-8
2. Romans 9:1-29
3. Ephesians 1:3-14

The Bible, in its entirety, speaks of God’s election in salvation, but these three passages, in my opinion, are so compelling that I’d have to rip those pages out of my Bible to justify believing that my salvation, in any way, depends upon me, even the choice to believe.

#103 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:44 AM

1. John 3:1-8
2. Romans 9:1-29
3. Ephesians 1:3-14

The Bible, in its entirety, speaks of God’s election in salvation, but these three passages, in my opinion, are so compelling that I’d have to rip those pages out of my Bible to justify believing that my salvation, in any way, depends upon me, even the choice to believe.

Hi Troy. Thanks for posting these verses and the cultural contexts. I for one haven't considered it this way before and it has been really helpful to hear it from this perspective!

#104 Travis Richey

Travis Richey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Granbury Church of the Nazarene

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

A very interesting discussion. Thank you all very much for all you have to say. I was raised in the Nazarene church, so my learned doctrine is definitely free choice. I have several friends on the predeistination side of the coin, and have had some interesting discussions. THe other day, I was reading Tozer's The Knowledge of the Holy, and came across this description of the debate:

"Perhaps a homely illustration might help us to understand. An ocean liner leaves New York bound for Liverpool. Its destination has been determined by proper authorities.On board the liner are several scores of passengers. These are not in chains, neither are their activities determined for them by decree. They are completely free to move about as they will. They eat, sleep, play, lounge about on the deck, read, talk, altogether as they please; but all the while the great liner is carrying them steadily onward toward a predetermined port. Both freedom and sovereignty are present here and they do not contradict each other. So it is, I believe, with man’s freedom and the sovereignty of God. The mighty liner of God’s sovereign design keeps its steady course over the sea of history. God moves undisturbed and unhindered toward the fulfillment of those eternal purposes which He purposed in Christ Jesus before the world began. We do not know all that is included in those purposes, but enough has been disclosed to furnish us with a broad outline of things to come and to give us good hope and firm assurance of future well-being. We know that God will fulfill every promise made to the prophets; we know that sinners will some day be cleansed out of the earth; we know that a ransomed company will enter into the joy of God and that the righteous will shine forth in the kingdom of their Father; we know that God’s perfections will yet receive universal acclamation, that all created intelligences will own Jesus Christ Lord to the glory of God the Father, that the present imperfect order will be done away, and a new heaven and a new earth be established forever.Toward all this God is moving with infinite wisdom and perfect precision of action. No one can dissuade Him from His purposes; nothing turn Him aside from His plans. Since He is omniscient, there can be no unforeseen circumstances, no accidents. As He is sovereign, there can be no countermanded orders, no breakdown in authority; and as He is omnipotent, there can be no want of power to achieve His chosen ends. God is sufficient unto Himself for all these things."

#105 RuthAnn Nicholls

RuthAnn Nicholls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

Just a couple of thoughts about this subject:

First, a physicist's look at it.
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined,
and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
-S.Hawking

Second, does this parable tell us anything about Predestination?
““Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a trip. He called together his servants and gave them money to invest for him while he was gone. He gave five bags of gold to one, two bags of gold to another, and one bag of gold to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities—and then left on his trip. The servant who received the five bags of gold began immediately to invest the money and soon doubled it. The servant with two bags of gold also went right to work and doubled the money. But the servant who received the one bag of gold dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money for safekeeping.
“After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of gold said, ‘Sir, you gave me five bags of gold to invest, and I have doubled the amount.’ The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’
“Next came the servant who had received the two bags of gold, with the report, ‘Sir, you gave me two bags of gold to invest, and I have doubled the amount.’ The master said, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’
“Then the servant with the one bag of gold came and said, ‘Sir, I know you are a hard man, harvesting crops you didn’t plant and gathering crops you didn’t cultivate. I was afraid I would lose your money, so I hid it in the earth and here it is.’
“But the master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy servant! You think I’m a hard man, do you, harvesting crops I didn’t plant and gathering crops I didn’t cultivate? Well, you should at least have put my money into the bank so I could have some interest. Take the money from this servant and give it to the one with the ten bags of gold. To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who are unfaithful, even what little they have will be taken away. Now throw this useless servant into outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’”
(Matthew 25:14–30 NLT)

The man gave to his own servants. They were his. This parable shows the potential of the servants. But the one who was unfaithful with what little he had will be taken away and the useless servant was cast into outer darkness.

I think this shows potential and actual productivity is choice.
  • Tkulp likes this

#106 Wade McGarvey

Wade McGarvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, hanging out with Church buddies, talking religion and politics, checking news and current events.
  • I am a Layperson

• North Ridge Alliance, Raleigh NC

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:43 PM

I grew up in the United Methodist tradition. then in college went to Allegheny Center Alliance Church. Was baptized in "Turnbull's Lake". After college left the UMC and went to a couple of charismatic churches. Now I am part of a "conservative remnant" in the PCUSA.

Armenian or Calvinistic theology? How about Calvi-menian?

I had a guy ask for a buck so he could buy a burger. I gave him a buck. He said "you a Christian?" I said, "Well I do love Jesus." I think I fall to the point of both have scripture to back it up, and neither conflict with the other. So I love Jesus because he chose me, and I love him because I choose to, and there are days I struggle with loving him with my actions to his other kids, and those that don't know him yet.

Glad to hear there is a conservative remnant in the PCUSA.... Odd your not a Calvinist. I'm Alliance but fairly Reformed especially by any Methodist standard. Well good luck with the Cal-menian thing!

#107 Joel Stoddert

Joel Stoddert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• Green Mountain Community Alliance Church

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

Glad to hear there is a conservative remnant in the PCUSA.... Odd your not a Calvinist. I'm Alliance but fairly Reformed especially by any Methodist standard. Well good luck with the Cal-menian thing!

Just think--some Armenians are probably Calvinists! :)

#108 JayHerrera

JayHerrera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:40 AM

Why do the world's so called best "theologians" and "relgious" people have to put you into one of two categories, Calvanism or Armenianism? Why can you just not be someone's Son or Daughter??? Should we not believe what Christ taught? Matthew 13:36-43. Plain and simple...

#109 JayHerrera

JayHerrera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:57 AM

It is all Gods Plan. All we need is faith, and believe that God is real the word Christian means believer in God and He is real. I have no doubt or question why should we, everything is Gods plan and Gods world and we are here living out His creation. I'm just letting you know and if I can make a difference in one life gives me satisfaction that I'm apart of Gods team. It's very black and white God made it simple for us and gave us the BIble, I like to call it the Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth all we need is faith and belive Jesus died on the Cross for our sins, and accept it into you're heart. God best describes how our minds should be open like a child, have faith like a child we can move mountains with faith as small as a mustard seed, therefore we should not worrie about life, or tomorrow, or how this might workout, or what should I do? God said for even the birds don't worrie about food or shelter we our his children and He loves us. Being baptized in faith bring comfort to belivers becoming His children. Life bring stress and hardship with the way we have made it so complex We doubt Him and try on our own. He brings us peace and happyness and will open believers eyes as He has done to me I would like to show and tell everyone I have been to it and through it, raised in a Christian home in southern California on the Central Coast. I was blessed to attend Private Christian schools started when I was 5 and graduated from St. Joseph High and studied the Roman Catholic religion. I was chosen as a child for God and love to talk about it to anyone who has questions feel free to call 805 9048386 I'm looking for a strong Christian team who is motivated, and confident in God and love to share others the Word. I pray for you and the world and for God to bless our familys and friends and enemies, we ask for forgiveness for our sins and thank-you for dieing on the cross so that one day we will be in the Kingdom of Heaven and have eternal life, and rebuke the enemy in Jesus Christ name, AMEN. Good night and God Bless. Time for bed but I can just keep going for Him...:-)

#110 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

Absolutely yes! We can abduce that God has counterfactually predestined every person to freely choose salvation in Christ.

I walk this same line as Karl Barth, William Lane Craig, Alvin Plantinga, Louis de Molina, as well as many others. I find this ecotone in Barth's statements resonates with my complex convictions on these matters:

Thanks so much for your thoughts and the hyper-links for those words!

#111 RuthAnn Nicholls

RuthAnn Nicholls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

Absolutely yes! We can abduce that God has counterfactually predestined every person to freely choose salvation in Christ.

I walk this same line as Karl Barth, William Lane Craig, Alvin Plantinga, Louis de Molina, as well as many others. I find this ecotone in Barth's statements resonates with my complex convictions on these matters:

This is the way I see election. I'll be reading more on Barth...
Thanks.

#112 Joel Stoddert

Joel Stoddert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• Green Mountain Community Alliance Church

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

This is the way I see election. I'll be reading more on Barth...
Thanks.

Karth Barth was a brilliant theologian and Bible scholar, but also a leading light of the Neo-Orthodox movement. Neoorthodoxy responded to the liberalism of the day, which tended to deny the miraculous, often the deity of Christ, and downplayed or denied the Bible's authority. But while more conservative than the liberalism it repudiated, neoorthodoxy isn't evangelical. Barth, to give a couple examples, believed that the Bible contains the Word of God, vs. being the written Word of God. That's why if you go to, say, a mainline Presbyterian church, many of which are neoorthodox or liberal, you may hear a Scripture reading introduced with statements like, "Listen now for the word of God". Barth also separated the realms of faith and fact, unlike traditional Christian thought, which sees no need to do so. Dr. Barth explained his view using the resurrection of Christ as an example. He said he most definitely believed that Christ physically rose from the dead. But, on the other hand, if he heard about an archeological trip to the Holy Land to investigate whether or not Jesus was still buried in the tomb attributed to him, he'd want to go. He didn't see this as contradictory, since his belief in Jesus' resurrection was a matter of faith, whether it happened in history or not. Barth may definitely be read with profit, especially his commentary on Romans and his life's work, Church Dogmatics, but keep in mind what he believed.

#113 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

[quote name='JayHerrera' timestamp='1317895042' post='10011']
It is all Gods Plan. All we need is faith, and believe that God is real the word Christian means believer in God and He is real. I have no doubt or question why should we, everything is Gods plan and Gods world and we are here living out His creation. I'm just letting you know and if I can make a difference in one life gives me satisfaction that I'm apart of Gods team. It's very black and white God made it simple for us and gave us the BIble, I like to call it the Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth all we need is faith and belive Jesus died on the Cross for our sins, and accept it into you're heart. God best describes how our minds should be open like a child, have faith like a child we can move mountains with faith as small as a mustard seed, therefore we should not worrie about life, or tomorrow, or how this might workout, or what should I do? God said for even the birds don't worrie about food or shelter we our his children and He loves us. Being baptized in faith bring comfort to belivers becoming His children. Life bring stress and hardship with the way we have made it so complex We doubt Him and try on our own. He brings us peace and happyness and will open believers eyes as He has done to me I would like to show and tell everyone I have been to it and through it, raised in a Christian home in southern California on the Central Coast. I was blessed to attend Private Christian schools started when I was 5 and graduated from St. Joseph High and studied the Roman Catholic religion. I was chosen as a child for God and love to talk about it to anyone who has questions feel free to call 805 9048386 I'm looking for a strong Christian team who is motivated, and confident in God and love to share others the Word. I pray for you and the world and for God to bless our familys and friends and enemies, we ask for forgiveness for our sins and thank-you for dieing on the cross so that one day we will be in the Kingdom of Heaven and have eternal life, and rebuke the enemy in Jesus Christ name, AMEN. Good night and God Bless. Time for bed but I can just keep going for Him...:-)
[/quote
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#114 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Amen! very well said=)
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#115 Laurie Collett

Laurie Collett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Born-again Christian since 4/17/2000. Retired MD neurologist (Laurie Barclay), medical writer. Theatrical ballroom dancer, performer & owner of Rhapsody Ballroom, Tampa, with husband Richard. Adult Bible study teacher. Singer/Christian songwriter.
  • I am a Layperson

• Fellowship Baptist Church

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

Fascinating thread! In my opinion, we do have free will because otherwise we would be robots or dolls, not capable of fellowship with God, which is the purpose for which He created us. But God knows everything, and is not bound by time, so He knows, knew and will know all things past, present and future. Therefore, He knew in eternity past whether each of us would accept or reject His Son at some point in the future. This in no way affects our free will.

The analogy I use with my students is that I know some things about my husband very well, including His love for licorice and His revulsion for sushi. So I know that under most conditions (not sick, not starving, in his right mind, etc.) if offered a choice between licorice and sushi he will choose licorice. I am not in any way affecting his decision to choose and therefore not in any way interfering with his free will to choose. This is an imperfect example because my knowledge of my husband is imperfect, whereas God's knowledge of each of us is perfect and complete.

Laurie Collett, Saved by Grace
http://savedbygraceb...y.blogspot.com/

#116 RuthAnn Nicholls

RuthAnn Nicholls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

Karth Barth was a brilliant theologian and Bible scholar, but also a leading light of the Neo-Orthodox movement. Neoorthodoxy responded to the liberalism of the day, which tended to deny the miraculous, often the deity of Christ, and downplayed or denied the Bible's authority. But while more conservative than the liberalism it repudiated, neoorthodoxy isn't evangelical. Barth, to give a couple examples, believed that the Bible contains the Word of God, vs. being the written Word of God. That's why if you go to, say, a mainline Presbyterian church, many of which are neoorthodox or liberal, you may hear a Scripture reading introduced with statements like, "Listen now for the word of God". Barth also separated the realms of faith and fact, unlike traditional Christian thought, which sees no need to do so. Dr. Barth explained his view using the resurrection of Christ as an example. He said he most definitely believed that Christ physically rose from the dead. But, on the other hand, if he heard about an archeological trip to the Holy Land to investigate whether or not Jesus was still buried in the tomb attributed to him, he'd want to go. He didn't see this as contradictory, since his belief in Jesus' resurrection was a matter of faith, whether it happened in history or not. Barth may definitely be read with profit, especially his commentary on Romans and his life's work, Church Dogmatics, but keep in mind what he believed.

Thanks for taking the time to spell out Barth's basic beliefs. I knew some thought him to be a false teacher. With what I had read about him, I didn't think so, but that was very little reading.

I always try to read with red flags ready but sometimes miss the mark. Again, thanks!

#117 Gordy

Gordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Ensley Alliance Church, Pensacola FL

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

I believe in election. I Believe that God chose two groups: The Nation Israel and the Church. He chose us WITHOUT any input from us. He chose us because He Loved us. He did NOT close us to Heaven or Hell, He chose us to be His own.

I would like to recommend a paper written by Gordon Frederick Jones, Jr. titled A Young Christian's look at the Doctrines of Grace. You can only get this from the writer. His address is: jnf_min@yahoo.com. Send your mailing address and he will send it to you.

#118 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

I believe in election. I Believe that God chose two groups: The Nation Israel and the Church. He chose us WITHOUT any input from us. He chose us because He Loved us. He did NOT close us to Heaven or Hell, He chose us to be His own.

I believe in election to the degree that God chose us because he loves us, but when he chose us, he didn't just choose the nation of Israel or the church, but instead he chose all of humanity. He will not force us to accept him, so whether we accept or reject him is in our hands. He may know what each of us will decide, but he will not remove our ability to choose.

#119 Gordy

Gordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Ensley Alliance Church, Pensacola FL

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

i would like to know why it is that people who claim to believe in election claim that God will save everyone. Many back there claims by using John 3:16. I recommend that you read John 3:14-17. Then go back to Deuteronomy and read Moses' dissertation concerning this subject. And remember the best commentary on the Bible is the Bible.

#120 Guest_Troy McLaughlin_*

Guest_Troy McLaughlin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:21 AM

Hi Gordy,
Your claim here is very broad, and I am at least one exception to it. I am not a universalist, but I am very much a convicted believer in the doctrine of election. The passage you chose to highlight is an excellent text for teaching the sovereignty of God in salvation, and I agree with your assertion that the best commentary on the Bible is the Bible itself. I believe this to be especially true when it comes to understanding the Old Testament. Have a great day in Him!