Photo

Where is the C&MA on End Times Doctrine?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:07 PM

PreTrib Rapture Churches:

These are churches that have clear, doctrinal/ theological statements and historical commitments in support of the Rapture preceding the Tribulation followed by the Second Coming of Jesus Christ:

1. Independent Baptist Churches
2. Assemblies of God
3. Independent Bible Churches
4. Calvary Chapel
5. IFCA International Churches

PreTrib Rapture-Leaning Churches:

These are churches that have many members, pastors and teachers who support some version of the Premillennial view of the Rapture. However,these groups do not have clear doctrinal/theological statements about the Rapture> Tribulation> Second Coming sequence of End Time events, leaving room for other eschatological views through this doctrinal "loophole" (i.e. mid-Trib, post-Trib or no Rapture at all, but only a Second Advent).

1. Church of the Nazarene
2. Southern Baptist Convention
3. Evangelical Free Churches of America
4. Missionary Church USA
5. International Church of the Four Square Gospel
6. Church of God (Cleveland, TN)
7. Open Bible Churches
8. Christian and Missionary Alliance

Churches that Accommodate Multiple Views About End Times:

The following churches have people from a wide variety of eschatological perspectives (Amillennial, Preterist, Postmillennial, Classical Premillennial, Dispensationslist, etc.):

1. Churches of Christ
2. Wesleyan Church
3. Christian Church
4. Free Methodist Church USA
5. Church of God (Anderson, Indiana)

Generally Anti-Pre-Trib Churches:

You will most likely face open opposition or even ridicule for supporting the view that the Rapture precedes a literal Tribulation followed by the Second Coming of Jesus Christ in the following churches:

1. Presbyterian Church (USA)
2. United Church of Christ
3. American Baptist Churches USA
4. Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA)
5. Presbyterian Church of America
6. Episcopal Church
7. Roman Catholic Church
8. Disciples of Christ

#2 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:10 PM

Have I characterized the C&MA correctly/ fairly? If not, let me know. I would love to hear from you.

#3 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

Or for that matter, have I given a fair description of the other denominations with regard to eschatology? Let me know, if you have the time, interest or inclination.

#4 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:08 PM

The C&MA Statement of Faith does mention the Second Coming being personal, visible, and premillennial. To read the entire Statement of Faith, go to the "about us" tab at the top-right. Then go to "Beliefs" and scroll down to "Statement of Faith."

#5 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:35 PM

Yes, I realize that. This is why I placed the C&MA where I did, noting, "These are churches that have many members, pastors and teachers who support some version of the Premillennial view of the Rapture." But the C&MA doctrinal statement does not make it clear that the C&MA subscribes to a Rapture before seven years of Tribulation. Thus, it leaves room for those who might take a Mid-Trib Rapture or even Post-Trib Rapture viewpoint. "Premillennial" by itself only means sometime before Christ's 1,000 year reign.

#6 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

Alan,

I think some of the churches that "officially" adhere to the pre-trib view have members that subscribe to the other views. That has been my observation. I personally started my journey with a particular viewpoint, but modified my position early on. I continued for many years in the same denomination with an opposing viewpoint on the rapture. I knew of others who likewise held the same.

For some reason, I would venture to say that the opposite is not as true. That is, those in a Reformed denomination probably hold more closely to their "official" view.

• Julie Daube likes this

#7 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

I've gone back and forth with my viewpoint on the rapture over the years and am trying not to be too dogmatic about my position. I started out pre-trib and then became post-trib because I felt that lined up a little more with Scripture (as I understand it). However, recently I've been hearing some good arguments from my pastor for the pre-trib view. So I am pretty much open to both possibilities now but still lean a little more toward post-trib.  

• Marvin Harrell likes this

#8 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

One thing I find helpful is to throw out the word rapture and do a study on the "resurrection," the term the Bible uses.

• Marvin Harrell likes this

#9 Marvin Harrell

Marvin Harrell

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Content strategy; branding development; examining the why of what I believe as well as the how; raising 2 beautiful kids and loving God's gift of my wife; being the hands and feet of Jesus and therefore getting out of my comfort zone.

• First Presbyterian Church Colorado Springs

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:52 AM

One thing I find helpful is to throw out the word rapture and do a study on the "resurrection," the term the Bible uses.

How do you mean ADVRider? I like where this is going but am looking for more of what you mean. Is resurrection another word for the word rapture? As the word rapture doesn't appear in scripture are we all discussing the passage in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17 when we are talking about rapture? Good stuff here!

Marvin Harrell
Web Manager :: C&MA U.S.
www.cmalliance.org
Email me

#10 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

How do you mean ADVRider? I like where this is going but am looking for more of what you mean. Is resurrection another word for the word rapture? As the word rapture doesn't appear in scripture are we all discussing the passage in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17 when we are talking about rapture? Good stuff here!

Marvin,

There are many scriptural references to the resurrection. The concept of being "caught up" in 1 Thess. 4 that you reference, the classic Rapture passage, is in fact, one of many parallel passages speaking of the resurrection.  

Scholars of a particular camp often have a method of isolating passages that refer to the same thing, and then claim the passages are speaking of two (or more) different things. Thus, the many passages that clearly use the word, resurrection, are conveniently ignored and not compared with each other. If we look at all the references that speak of the "resurrection," we see some similarities emerge, rather than differences, and the exegesis that formerly yielded two different (events, in this case) now begins to show one event, just described many times over and over again.

Hope this helps a bit. If I can, I'll find some particular parallel verses.

• Julie Daube, Marvin Harrell and KruJuice like this

#11 KruJuice

KruJuice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Apologetics, Biblical studies, scholarly works, being a good Samaritan, Orthodoxy(Church history), Muay Thai, MMA, combat sports, fitness, science fiction, fantasy, literature,
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Grace Old Brooklyn

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

I fully concur with this viewpoint.

I study using a lot of resources from Biblical scholar Michael Heiser and have correspondence with him; he refers to this as "Splitters" and "Joiners".

In other words he says that those looking for a pre trib view have to dissect passages and pull them from their context in order to make their argument, while those that hold to a post or amil view harmonize scripture.

• Julie Daube, Marvin Harrell and ADVRider like this

Godspeed, KruJuice, BCS.