• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hi Candice

I think my main focus of the quote from Tozer was the phrase; "it may be fatal to believe everything"

After really reading this over again, I see what you're focusing on and it makes sense. I guess I was assuming Tozer was asking us to question scripture and not just take it at face value. I didn't see the point of him saying this.

I can relate to this thought though in that I've experienced some really ridiculously false ideas coming from supposedly very discerning pastors. We belonged to a church here when we first arrived. The pastor was all over everyone homeschooling (good thing to do it you can do it), and very much into opinionizing from the pulpit far more than preaching the word. He made good points and used a seeker-sensitive approach to sharing the gospel and basically tried to make it very comfortable while maintaining a strict message of the gospel. However, one Sunday, he decides to start showing videos by Rob Bell. I had never heard of him so I didn't get alarmed. But, shortly into the video, I got the "red flag" bumps on my arms and was so disappointed. I asked the pastor, "how could you buy that junk?" He didn't like my candidness, but if he is going to have a church that is trying to draw unbelievers, he is obligated and will incur strict judgment for doing this. Needless to say, we don't go there anymore because of numerous things like this.

It is frustrating that it is so obvious to me that there is just such false teaching going on in the church. Better to stay home I fear will be the only choice soon.

Candice

#22 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Great discussion. It certainly rings true with me. I still consider myself somewhat of a "babe" with the Word of God. But what I do know has kept me from going astray several times. I very much believe the Holy Spirit points you to the necessary verses/study when you are grappling with something that someone has distorted. There was even one time I was reading literature from church group and although I couldn't pick up anything blatantly wrong with it the Holy Spirit gave me uneasiness and I stopped reading it. They turned out to be people who believe God has forsaken the Jewish people and the whites were now the chosen people. Pretty scary ugly stuff.

• Charles Miles and Ysa like this