• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

I just have to ask . . . . I cannot resist this need to ask question that I have wondered about for some time, and don't have an explanation for nor has the Lord really given me any impressions on this. I don't mean to offend here on The Forum who God has given the gift of tongues.

Why does it seem that (within my knowledge and those I know personally or know of) the only people who seem to have the gift of tongues are Assemblies of God or Pentacostal or one of the denominations along those lines??? To me it is odd - and I mean this with respect, honestly - that I've never met a Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, et al, who have the gift nor have I heard of it.

If the Lord chooses the gift each believer is to receive, then why doesn't he give that gift to others outside of these groups?? Any explanations? Maybe some of you are aware of something to the contrary?

Maybe it's as simple as this. People who discover they have the gift of tongues just naturally decide to attend AOG Churches where they can have something in common with others who speak in tongues. Or maybe tongues is developed in them at AOG Churches. Guess we need to ask the AOG people.

#22 Big John

Big John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hi, everyone.

I am new both to this forum and new to ANY forum, but I have to say that I just so enjoyed so much of what
I have been reading that I just felt like I had to get involved. I generally always shy away from sharing my own thoughts as I don't like to feel like I am imposing my views.

There are so many lines of thought in this that I don't know where to start, so I just will.

I guess that one of my first observations is that when I was a teenager I attended a presbyterian church. And the pastor was (I think, so called, sprirt filled) and we had occasions where there were speaking in tongues and prophecy. This was not common and I didn't really get it but it was kinda cool. I myself was not "filled with the spirit" and didn't speak with tongues but I accepted it in this very reserved presbyterian environment. Though I have to say I viewed it with a bit of a jaundiced eye. lol So while the whole speaking in tongues was not prevalent, it certainly was not AOG. lol

Also, I think another thing is something I heard once, kind of answers the question of "why do these gifts only appear in cartain denominations" is, you get what you preach. A lot of churches don't get many people saved (not a criticism, just an observation) but that is so often because thats not what they preach or teach. Same with tongues. They teach it, they get it.

Yes. IMHO, too many people place too much emphasis on gifts. And that whole idea that someone is coming up to you and asking what your gift is, is kind of offensive. But I also think that the gifts are meant to be fairly (don't get me wrong) common, as in, not unusual. This is the place of the church. A body of believers who are able to minister to the needs of the body through these God given gifts. We need Gods input to minister to anyone. I'm afraid that all I have offer is my own intellect, generosity, empathy, etc, etc, etc and that simply has no comparison to what God has to offer.

Anyway, another great scripture that has intrigued me from the first time I read it was in Numbers 11 where Moses appointed a bunch of elders to aid him. And the Spirit of the Lord came on them and they all started to prophesy (that sounds like it could be a little confusing too, all of these guys prophesying at once). And Joshua wanted Moses to stop a couple of the elders from prophesying cause they weren't in the group. They weren't doing it right! Numbers 11:29 But Moses replied, "Are you jealous for my sake? I wish that all the LORD's people were prophets and that the LORD would put his Spirit on them!"

I love church history and it seems to me that an awful lot of what we commonly believe today was considered anathema at one time or another. Not saying we should just accept everything that comes down the pike but there is way too much to God to figure out everything. Can't tell you how many things that have come along that I really thought was not good and I had to end up repenting and accepting.

So, hey I have so loved what I have read here this morning. Thanks to all of you who have been doing this for some time. I look forward to reading more

Big John
  • ADVRider and Lori Smith like this

#23 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

Big John,

Great to meet you! I hope you will feel at home here! I also like your thoughts on the topic (above).

Blessings,
Lori
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."