Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible and life accounts from saints of years past
  • I am a Missionary

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:27 PM

Living and working daily among people who do not see any need for Jesus, in fact worship many gods and spirits and have no thought of sin, I wonder . . .

What is sin?

Is sin in today’s world what sin has always been, both OT and NT?

Is there original or inherited sin?

Do we sometimes need to repent of something after being saved?

I’m asking these questions out of my own curiosity of what “Christian” people believe today.

My personal belief is; sin is any want (lack) of conformity unto or transgression of the law of God. Which goes along with Easton’s Bible Dictionary definition.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

#2 Tony Davison

Tony Davison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Retired Electrician by trade full time christian by Gods choice.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:45 AM

Sin is anything with" I" in the middle it has to be about Jesus doing it all

There are about three types of Christian churches in the world I am not talking about denominations because there are way more than this. I would like to tell you about them and would like you to decide which one is your favorite.

Even though avoidance of Satan and sin is great we could start to think that "I am good because of my strength I have to avoid these things". We have to remember that it is our position by being in CHRIST that gives us the Victory. Christianity is not DO this and Don't do this religion, or it would be just that another religion. Being a believer  in CHRIST is a Done religion, because He did it all "It Is Finished" was his response on the cross.

“A dead Christ I must do everything for; a living Christ does everything for me.”
? Andrew Murray, Jesus Himself

The holiness movements of today have none of the rugged reality of the New Testament about them. There is nothing about them that needs the death of Jesus Christ. All that is required is a pious atmosphere, prayer, and devotion. This type of experience is not supernatural nor miraculous. It did not cost the sufferings of God, nor is it stained with “the blood of the Lamb” (Revelation 12:11). It is not marked or sealed by the Holy Spirit as being genuine, and it has no visual sign that causes people to exclaim with awe and wonder, “That is the work of God Almighty!” Yet the New Testament is about the work of God and nothing else.

#3 Tkulp

Tkulp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Studying the Word as the Spirit directs.
    Sharing what I learn about the Truth of the Word of God.
    Aquaponics / rooting plant starts / Living on God's provisions
    Learning about wild edibles, Herbs and God's natural provisions for life, both physical and spiritual.
    Raising cattle
  • I am a Layperson

• Coop Prairie

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:28 PM

reader,

Your topic encouraged me to address the eternally, most critical subject of "Christ in you, the hope of glory" Colossians 1:27 (His presence in the heart and mind brings the evidence of a life that looks just like Jesus; we are following His example.).

<https://ecommunity.c...t-means-to-me/>

Here are some additional thoughts on the subject...

Jesus gives at least two illustrations where 'sin' was not an issue in the fact that individuals were rejected, apparently from eternal life. The reason was that Jesus did not, in the English translations, know them even though they did great deeds in His Name, or had the Holy Spirit and purity.

I do not see the evangelical church in the U.S. believing in the death of Christ as enabling anyone to be delivered from the nature of selfishness and disobedience, the sin nature..

I find most modern 'Christians' to believe in some type of 'faith' cover-up, where the Father does not really see you any more, as the sinner you continue to be, because of your belief and confession of Jesus Christ; you are considered to be 'saved' (have eternal life in heaven).

Most Americans, I believe, still consider themselves to be 'Christians' for one reason or another, without any need for repentance, any life-style changes or "separation from the world"; whatever that may mean to each individual.

Sin originated in Heaven. Satan was the first to lead a rebellion against the Father. Since the failure of Adam, sin has been and will be in the world, until this world, as we know it, is destroyed by fire.

Salvation is both now and an eternal rescue and deliverance from the powerful sin nature. It requires repentance, death to the self life and flesh. It can only be accomplished and maintained by obedience to the Spirit of Christ that actually comes to live within the human body, directing and empowering a Christ-like life.

With the Spirit of Christ truly living within, totally surrendered to and in control; the flesh totally crucified, repentance will become a thing of the past life,

If the flesh is spiritual dead and the Spirit of Christ is totally alive, the seeds of the world and temptation to selfishness and disobedience have no soil to grow in.

How can one disobey when their life's ambition has become selflessly hearing and walking with the Good Shepherd, doing the good that He puts in your way and shows how you to do?

If Satan can get and individual to stop feeding on the blood and body of Christ grafted into the vine, anyone definitely could be spiritually weakened to the point of disobedience.

My experience is that the instance I miss the Spirit's direction I want to know why. If the Spirit points out some area of my life that needs to change, I want to get right with it.

King Saul had the Holy Spirit taken from him because of disobedience. David pleaded with God to not take His Spirit from him because of his mess-up. (Why did he mess up? Because he was on the roof of his house when he should have been in the field of battle leading his troops. Leisure and pleasures can lead to failures.)

The double minded individual (the two spirited person) with one part of the mind under divine influences and the other under the influence of this world, will definitely have need of repentance and forgiveness. The question then is, "Have they really been delivered or rescued (saved) when they chose to go back to the mud hole to play? Only God knows the motives of the heart and mind.

Here is how John sees it... "...everyone who has this hope focused on him purifies himself, just as Jesus is pure.  Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; indeed, sin is lawlessness. And you know that Jesus was revealed to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. Everyone who resides in him does not sin; everyone who sins has neither seen him nor known him." John 3:3-6

The LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry, and why is your expression downcast?”

“Is it not true that if you do what is right, you will be fine? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at the door. It desires to dominate you, but you must subdue it."  Genesis 4:6-7

Because of Calvary we can now have a Deliverer, who has been here and temped in all ways, as we are, but without a slip, to live withing us, helping us to care the load He sets before us.

Without Him I can do nothing, With Him why should I accept a deception of bondage to fail.

Tim