• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tkulp

Tkulp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Studying the Word as the Spirit directs.
    Sharing what I learn about the Truth of the Word of God.
    Aquaponics / rooting plant starts / Living on God's provisions
    Learning about wild edibles, Herbs and God's natural provisions for life, both physical and spiritual.
    Raising cattle
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Coop Prairie

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:31 AM

Tozer Devotional

Thu, June 28, 2018    https://www.cmallian...s/tozer?id=1221

Compromising Crosses

Strange, is it not, that we dare without shame to alter, to modulate (Fix or adjust the time, amount, degree, or rate of) the words of Christ while speaking for Christ to the very ones for whom He died?

Christ calls men to carry a cross; we call them to have fun in His Name. He calls them to forsake the world; we assure them that if they but accept Jesus the world is their oyster(Their pearl of fortune). He calls them to suffer; we call them to enjoy all the bourgeois comforts modern civilization affords. He calls them to self-abnegation and death. We call them to spread themselves like green bay trees or perchance even to become stars in a pitiful fifth-rate religious zodiac. He calls them to holiness; we call them to a cheap and tawdry happiness that would have been rejected with scorn by the least of the Stoic philosophers.

Verse

Anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. Matthew 10:38–39

Thought

We've fashioned crosses of gold to wear around our neck or on our lapel. We place crosses on church steeples. Have we forgotten that for Christ the cross was an instrument of death? And our cross for us is a means of death to self.

Prayer

Forgive me, Lord, for trying to take cross-bearing out of my daily life. It is not innocent fun I need, it is holiness.

Do you want Prosperity or the Cross?

The modern definition of prosperity is:  1. An economic state of growth with rising profits and full employment 2. The condition of prospering; having good fortune.

The Old Testament KJV translates a number of different Hebrew concepts as "prosperity".  The Hebrew understanding would be along the following thoughts; good, well;  secure, successful, tranquil; to push forward; good.

The English word "prosper" carries such Hebrew thoughts as; to push forward, to be circumspect, intelligent.

Proverbs 28:13  He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

It is interesting to me that the New Testament KJV does not use the word 'prosperity' at all and only uses the word 'prosper' once; and the Greek concept, of  the English word prosper, is used only four times, unless you include the idea of blessing. That says to me that the idea of 'prosperity' was NOT a very important issue for the writers of the New Testament. The cross is mentioned over thirty times.

The Greek concept of 'prospering' is; to help on the road, that is, (passively) succeed in reaching; figuratively to succeed in business affairs. Something that you wish for others or you have to share with or give to others.

3 John 1:2  Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. (It appears that the prosperity of the soul is to be number one, most important!)

1 Corinthians 16:2  Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.  (Here the increase is to be stored up to share with others, of the brotherhood that had needs)

----------------------------------

With all of that information in mind, I found myself in a rather unusual situation today. I was working in an environment that had Christian radio on continually. (The Radio and TV media influence are not existent in my chosen environments,  home and vehicle; be it Christian or otherwise. I used to listen to select music, but rarely even do that any more.) I really do not care for most radio preachers, but I had to get the job done and was thus stuck. I had to listen, like it or not.

(I did not listen to the link that I am including but will assume that it is what I heard. I am sure that most of you will like it, even if it may not be the exact words, I do not think that the concepts would change.)

https://www.oneplace...ity-664976.html

Do you want material prosperity or, for you soul to prosper?  Can you have both?

If you have come back after listening to the link, I would like to share some thoughts that have been on my mind regarding Adrian Roger's message.

I think that Adrian Rogers is sharing Wisdom from the Word of God on having financial responsibility or success. Those that follow the concepts taught in the Bible will always receive some benefit from doing things the way that God says is the best way for it to be done! Following the principles or laws of God brings success, if you are looking for 'success'!

I want to emphasize my belief that their is only one way to intimately know God the Father, and that is through the person of Jesus Christ!

With that in mind I also believe that their are different ideas or concepts of success. If an individual wanted to get rich, I believe that the Bible tells you how to succeed. If I want to succeed in relationships with people, the Bible has the way. I hope you get the idea that the Bible has all the answers. All that you need to do, to have success is follow the directions!

Directions are something that most people do not like to read or follow. Give them pictures or a modern You-Tube Video (Most times recorded by someone lacking experience or the skill. They are  just out to make money off of your curiosity and hits, views) and most people will "try" most anything. That is why there is so much deception and confusion, when it comes to real "Truth".  I am not sure how to separate truth from "Truth". (There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. Proverbs 14:12)

Adrian Roger's radio message is truth, the way to financial responsibility. It is God's way to have financial success.

Adrian is not sharing error, to my knowledge, it is financial wisdom from Solomon; but is it the kind of truth and wisdom that will bring more intimacy with my Heavenly Father?

In and of itself, No! It will give me success in my life in this world. Something that can enable Satan to use to encourage pride, independence and self-reliance rather than a true, not a false faith or presumed, dependence on our Heavenly Father.

I want to switch to another example, in a spiritual area, that is parallel to the idea of financial success.  It is the ultimate of spiritual success in certain denominations. The power (miracle power) of faith, faith in the name of Jesus, faith in faith, if you would. The idea of knowing that something is going to happen because; maybe you have followed all the directions and believe the reliability of the source or of all the instructions?

There are several areas that I see Jesus talking about that kind of faith, but the one that I want to focus on is in Matthew.

Matthew 7:21-23  "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the kingdom of heaven only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

On that day, many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, didn't we prophesy in your name, and in your name cast out demons and do many powerful deeds?'

Then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you. Go away from me, you lawbreakers!'

These people had faith; faith in the power of the 'Name of Jesus'!  Sadly, More outward evidence of  faith than what I see operating in my own life.  The problem, with them, was that they were not doing the will of the Father!

Here is the conclusion. I can do all the right actions according to my way of thinking, according to my understanding and training, but miss the relationship with the Holy Spirit and obedience to God's idea of what His will is!

Proverbs 16:25  There is a way that seems right to a person, but its end is the way that leads to death.

Most people have the tendency to do what Adrian referred to as presumption. He used it in regard to trusting God to supply our needs without any action on our part.

I really wonder if he would apply the same truth on presumption to 'life purity' or 'holiness' as God does, throughout His Word?

There is obviously a 'faith' that leads to success here in this world, but leads to eternal death!

Paul, I believe, shares the only answer to presumption in this matter. The ability to really KNOW the perfect will of God, without presumption! There must be a transformation that even you can see in your own life, by Jesus Christ living inside of you, totally in control of your thoughts, words and actions.

Therefore I exhort you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a sacrifice — alive, holy, and pleasing to God — which is your reasonable service.

Do not be conformed to this present world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may test and approve what is the will of God — what is good and well-pleasing and perfect.

For by the grace given to me I say to every one of you not to think more highly of yourself than you ought to think, but to think with sober discernment, as God has distributed to each of you a measure of faith.  Romans 12:1-3

You have got to get your mind out of this world and into "Truth", NOW!!!

-------------------------

If you can understand Old Testament law as being concerned with our actions. The New Testament teaches us that Jesus came to fulfill the law. That means that we are now held accountable for what we meditate on in our mind, before those thoughts become words or actions.

The reason being that we are to be the temple or dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. Jesus is to live within our mortal bodies influencing our thoughts or feelings (mind) which is real grace influencing how we speak and act.

Solomon had the Spirit of Wisdom which he shared with us through the books that he wrote. When we follow that Wisdom we benefit, but it does not mean that we have a daily, intimate relationship with the Spirit of Wisdom as Solomon had. Wisdom, as well as wealth, for Solomon, was a gift from God. It was personally given to Solomon, because of his prayer and what he asked for.

In the same way, I believe, according to the teaching of Jesus, that people can operate in the power of His name and faith and see miracles, but it does not mean that the Holy Spirit is in control or directing your daily life, intimately.

Is it possible that as one can benefit from the Old Testament laws without knowing or serving the law giver so one can benefit from the New Testament spiritual laws without knowing or truly serving Jesus Christ?

Tozer Devotional

Wed, June 27, 2018   https://www.cmallian...s/tozer?id=1220

Happiness or Holiness?

We inhabit a world suspended halfway between heaven and hell, alienated from one and not yet abandoned to the other. By nature we are unholy and by practice unrighteous. That we are unhappy, I repeat, is of small consequence. Our first and imperative duty is to escape the corruption which is in the world as Lot escaped the moral ruin of Sodom. It is of overwhelming importance to us that we should seek the favor of God while it is possible to find it and that we should bring ourselves under the plenary authority of Jesus Christ in complete and voluntary obedience. To do this is to invite trouble from a hostile world and to incur such unhappiness as may naturally follow. Add to this the temptations of the devil and a lifelong struggle with the flesh and it will be obvious that we will need to defer most of our enjoyments to a more appropriate time.

Against this background of fact our childish desire to be happy is seen to be a morally ugly thing, wholly foreign to the Spirit of the Man of Sorrows and contrary to the teaching and practice of His apostles.

Any appeal to the public in the name of Christ that rises no higher than an invitation to tranquillity must be recognized as mere humanism with a few words of Jesus thrown in to make it appear Christian. But only that is truly Christian which accords with the Spirit and teachings of Christ. Everything else is un-Christian or anti-Christian, no matter whence it emanates.

Verse

Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. Hebrews 12:10

Thought

There is peace and joy in following Christ. However, that peace and joy are sometimes experienced in the difficult times of life which are not "happy times." Sometimes we must choose between happiness and holiness.

Prayer

Thank You, Lord, for discipline that leads to holiness. It may not make me happy but it grows me in Christ.

------------------------------

https://www.cmallian...mpson?mmdd=0629

Inspirational Readings by A.B. Simpson

Days of Heaven on Earth

Friday, June 29, 2018

Do not fail to mark these two stages in Christian life. The one is the Spirit's work in us, the other is the Spirit's personal coming to abide within us. All true Christians know the first, but few, it is to be feared, understand and receive the second.

There is a great difference between my building a house and my going to reside in that house and making it my home. And there is a great difference between the Holy Spirit's work in regenerating a soul-the building of a house-and His coming to reside, abide and control in our innermost spirit and our whole life and being.

Have we received Him, not as our Guest, but as the Owner, Proprietor and Keeper of the temple He has built to be an habitation of God through the Spirit? (Ephesians 2:22).

This is my wonderful story,

Christ to my heart has come,

Jesus the King of glory

Finds in my heart a home.

I am so glad I received Him,

Jesus my heart's dear King,

I, who so often have grieved Him,

All to His feet would bring.

Scripture

He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you —John 14:17

------------------------------

A. W. Tozer and A. B. Simpson agree on what it means to live the deeper life!

Do you agree with them? ...with the Spirit of the Word of God?

Do you live in a 'false assumption;  presumption' or a 'true intimate relationship'?

-----------------------------

You and others will know if it is 'true' or 'presumed (false)'  by the fruit your life produces.  What comes out of your mouth and the things that you do are a result of the influences you are under, accepting and meditating on!

#2 Phil

Phil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, Holy Bible, Hiking, Photography
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Northgate Community Church

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:26 PM

That's a lot to think about. Thank you for sharing! 

#3 Tkulp

Tkulp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
    Learning about wild edibles, Herbs and God's natural provisions for life, both physical and spiritual.
    Raising cattle
  • I am a Layperson

• Coop Prairie

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

Self-Control  a must for anyone wanting a 'Deeper walk'!

Tozer Devotional   Mon, July 02, 2018

Achieving Self-Control

For this reason the beautiful word temperance occurs strategically in the theology of the New Testament. Temperance is the helmsman in easy control of the powerful ship as it ploughs through the sea with all parts working in harmony. Temperance is that in the Christian man's life which brings every faculty into harmony with every other, and the total personality into accord with God's plan for the whole man. In a life so directed there can be no place for excess.

Two things need to be added. One is that temperance is not automatic. It is listed among the fruit of the Spirit, but it requires prayer, Bible reading, cross-bearing, hard discipline, obedience and self-denial before it can become a fixed part of the Christian's character.

The second is that a man or woman in Christ who has achieved true self-control may expect to be very much out of step with the world. Human beings given to excess will not take kindly to the Spirit-filled, temperate soul living among them. After he is dead they may build his sepulchre or name a college after him, but that will be a bit late for his comfort. He had a tough time of it while he lived.

Verse

Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. Titus 1:8

Thought

Necessary to the experience of self-control as a fruit of the Spirit is uprightness, holiness, spiritual discipline. You didn't forget to take up your cross today, did you? Bear it daily. Don't leave it locked in the closet!

Prayer

Father, how much I need to grow in the exercise of spiritual discipline. Forgive me for neglecting to take up my cross in following Christ.

#4 Phil

Phil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, Holy Bible, Hiking, Photography
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Northgate Community Church

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:02 AM

Self control isn't easy, but it's very important. That's for sure! 

#5 Evans Ngosa

Evans Ngosa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

I have been blessed a lot by the topic on deeper life.I would like to follow this up by reading "The crucified life " by A W Tozer.If any brother has e-book of this copy send to evansngosa@rocketmail.com.

#6 Tkulp

Tkulp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
    Raising cattle
  • I am a Layperson

• Coop Prairie

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

Evans,

Romans Chapter 6 kind of sums up the Deeper Life. It means that I stop living for selfish reasons and start living to do the will of God and serve others and righteousness.

The following are two articles or booklets that talk about this. I hope they help to you.

http://www.goodnewsa...com/Oct04-1.htm

https://ecommunity.c...-the-self-life/

#7 Janitor

Janitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:06 PM

In Revelation it tells us that Jesus holds the keys to death and Hades. In the garden the serpent said "you surely will not die". My question is that may be a half truth. We can not die to ourself with out Jesus. Without the cross we are left to ourselves. Praise God that we can die to self and live in Him!

#8 Tkulp

Tkulp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
    Raising cattle
  • I am a Layperson

• Coop Prairie

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:50 PM

Janitor,

I never really connected the two concepts of dying. In the garden it was a half truth, the better to deceive. Adam and Eve brought death into the world as well as sin, the rebellion that says I believe my way is better; disobedience, and the knowledge of good and evil.

Jesus said we should take up our cross and follow Him. I believe that Jesus demonstrated that in the garden as He prayed before He was taken away to be crucified on a physical cross.

It is recorded that as He prayed to the Father, Jesus said,  "Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me. Yet not my will but yours be done." Jesus was dying to His will, submitting to the will of the Father even though it meant a horrible death and worst of all, that the Father would forsake Him when He became sin for us.

As part of the new covenant the laws are written on our hearts. I consider that to be my conscience. I believe that we all know what is good and bad, but our lower nature wants to do what is fun and feels good, even if it hurts others around us. Children will sometimes just want to do what they are told not to do. That is the self that needs to die.

Through repentance and turning to follow Jesus we can be free from that selfish power of sin.

If we invite the Holy Spirit to live in us, He will encourage us to die to that selfish nature and always do what is beneficial for others. Obeying the Holy Spirit is a type of putting our selves to death, especially if we know that we are obeying the Holy Spirit's still small voice in agreement with the Word of God.

Grace and peace [that special sense of spiritual well-being] be multiplied to you in the [true, intimate] knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. For His divine power has bestowed on us [absolutely] everything necessary for [a dynamic spiritual] life and godliness, through true and personal knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.

For by these He has bestowed on us His precious and magnificent promises [of inexpressible value], so that by them you may escape from the immoral freedom that is in the world because of disreputable desire, and become sharers of the divine nature.

For this very reason, applying your diligence [to the divine promises, make every effort] in [exercising] your faith to, develop moral excellence, and in moral excellence, knowledge (insight, understanding),   and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, steadfastness, and in your steadfastness, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly affection, and in your brotherly affection, [develop Christian] love [that is, learn to unselfishly seek the best for others and to do things for their benefit].

For as these qualities are yours and are increasing [in you as you grow toward spiritual maturity], they will keep you from being useless and unproductive in regard to the true knowledge and greater understanding of our Lord Jesus Christ. For whoever lacks these qualities is blind--shortsighted [closing his spiritual eyes to the truth], having become oblivious to the fact that he was cleansed from his old sins.

Therefore, believers, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you [be sure that your behavior reflects and confirms your relationship with God]; for by doing these things [actively developing these virtues], you will never stumble [in your spiritual growth and will live a life that leads others away from sin]; for in this way entry into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly provided to you. 2Peter 1:2-11