• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

A hospice nurse will be coming in tomorrow (Friday, 9/26) to evaluate Charlotte to see if she qualifies for in-home hospice care (they are pretty certain she will, based on my description of her condition). This is a major answer to prayer, as the strain of caring for mom by himself was becoming too much for my husband. He was exhibiting signs of severe stress, including chest pain and fatigue (I am very limited in how much I can do because I work full time). I was having heart palpitations the other night, so the stress is affecting me as well.

We couldn't get the hospice people to come right away because they were insisting on a referral from a primary care provider, and she didn't have one here (she just moved here this summer and was putting off finding one). The earliest appointment we could get for one was for next Monday, but the hospice relented when I made it clear how urgent the situation is.

For those who aren't familiar with hospice, it entails providing for the patient's comfort without aggressive treatment (which she does not want at this stage of her life). Another term for it is palliative care. I've heard it's not just for people who are close to death but also for those who have serious health conditions and just want to be kept comfortable rather than receive aggressive treatment.

Charlotte's condition was deteriorating so rapidly yesterday that we thought she wouldn't make it through the night (among other things, she was incoherent when she spoke with her daughter on the phone). Her daughter (Lori) drove back here from New Mexico to be with her after coming last week. Charlotte revived somewhat when Lori arrived, but her pulse wasn't good (this may be because she stopped taking her meds after they upset her stomach). Lori got her to agree to take only the two most important pills (she was on 11meds and has a lot of trouble swallowing pills).

Please keep those prayers coming! We are specifically praying that God will supernaturally speed up the healing process or that He will end Charlotte's suffering by taking her home if it is getting near her time (she said she is ready to be with Jesus and has a DNR; she also says she will not go to the hospital again).

In addition to praying for Charlotte, pray for God's peace and health for Alex and me and against the physical effects of stress. Pray especially for protection and healing of Alex's heart (he had a mild heart attack four years ago and has to be careful of stress).

Thanks so much for praying!
  • RuthAnn Nicholls likes this

#2 RuthAnn Nicholls

RuthAnn Nicholls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Upper St Clair Alliance Church

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

I'll continue to hold your mother-in-law, your husband and you in my daily prayers. 

• Julie Daube likes this

I want to live my life so that every morning
when I wake up Satan says, "Oh, no! She's awake!