Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

As I consider praying one thing that keeps coming to mind is the example any Christian sets before another person be it on the forum or in our personal lives.  

The only person I can examine is myself and pray that where the love of Christ has not been seen and experienced by children, grandchildren or any person young or old may the Holy Spirit change whatever He wants changed in me so I may be of use by Him for His purposes and His glory....

Sometimes it surely seems like people do their best to be supportive of another Christian and I wonder what Jesus sees that none of us see, in our individual life and the life of those we are related to by birth family, or by adoption (very long ago, I gave a boy child up for adoption and pray for him and his parents), and there are the extended generational families that we may never see.

Jesus said that His kingdom is not of this world and we are to be in the world but not of it...

My personal failures are what they are, GOD KNOWS much better than I will ever know so how from this moment forward may I decrease and Jesus increase? 

So much for trying to encourage can be only words that are not heard But our prayers and a willingness to repent of whatever is not honoring Christ is what I'm asking prayer for.  I need a 'true' spirit of repentance is what comes to mind.

Seems that I can't see Christ in me so I do wonder if there is anything that I may do to be of use to Him besides to pray for knowledge of Him and what He'd have me to pray for any other person... sometimes prayer is all a person is able to do....

Please forgive me for not knowing how to share a concern regarding examples that are put before others, especially young children because they hear and they do observe... 

God does know our hearts and He does work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure .... sometimes I'm left wondering about His good pleasure and our being corrected because He loves us too much to let us hurt another by a bad example, especially younger  children....

Some of God's children may be older in years so isn't more required of an older child of God, especially if we are parents and grandparents?  God does not have grandchildren so I've heard.... we are all His children because of believing in Him and in the Cross and all that He has done...

It is not about us it is about God and His purposes because He created us for His pleasure.... and I do hope to never hear Jesus say, "Depart from me.... " 

...Thanking God for all the people that have cared do care and for their prayers.  More than that I am so very grateful that Jesus is our High Priest.

May children and grandchildren be spared from hearing us speak words that hinder them in coming to know Jesus as Savior and Lord and hinder their growth in faith, hope, and love.... my words have left and leave an example to my adult child and my grandchildren.  Asking for God's grace and His tender mercies and His redeeming love to others from my failing to set a godly example.

May all children know that we care about them and that they are loved, that they are significant, and may we provide a place that is spiritually secure for them.

May we make a difference now and forevermore because Jesus cares about each person that has been or will be born...  Every person has to be born 2 times to be saved.  And some grow up and some I wonder about, mostly I wonder about my own growing and that is not really selfish, if I don't grow up and mature in Christ how can I be of any use to God for His purpose?

This post is not well written at all, it's just thoughts and concerns for some and about some Christians who are struggling with a lot of things that I may not know how to even pray effectually about... I admit to being upset about some things and GOD KNOWS so I will pray and give thanks in all things because of Him.

• chipped china and DonnaA like this

#2 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

I am glad your shared this Ginger because I too have been "judging myself so that I will not be judged." for a few weeks now. So you are not alone in this. I find myself praying more and more Luke 21:36 as I should be.

So I am learning to cast my cares upon the Lord in a real and literal way. To think that Jesus learned obedience through the things that he suffered....it is mind boggling for me to see Jesus, The God/Man, having to learn obedience but the scriptures are very clear that is precisely what he had to do. So if Jesus wasn't exempt from suffering things to learn obedience, why do I sometimes deceive myself into thinking that I will be different? My will be done? Or. Thine will be done! I pray that I not be deceived.

I know I refer to my old pastor a lot, as He was a good teacher and example of Jesus. He would tell me at times like this to keep my eyes on Jesus. Keep my eyes on the prize!

Shalom,

chris

• chipped china and Ginger like this

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#3 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

Thank you Chris (Radar),

The individuals who have posted are special and do have a special place in my heart. 

Your shares about your old pastor (and the website you shared back whenever) have helped me to look to see and sometimes I believe God has touched me by your old pastor too.

When he became disabled as some would call it.... well GOD KNOWS is what keeps coming to mind as I deal with my stumbles and fumbles ....

So many years ago my husband became a paraplegic and when we went forward in a prayer line and God didn't raise him up out of a wheelchair some would say it was because we lacked faith.... All these years since ... again, GOD KNOWS...

Some of the things that are in our individual lives are not dealt with by just common sense measures.... if something does not work normally GOD KNOWS and it's up to Him and to us individually to come and surrender and learn to learn to learn to ....

A lot of practical and common sense things do not work if something in a person won't work as it used to.  Broke or being broken can have many connotations and all my 'ideas' or 'ideals' will not change some things and beating myself up for failing in being practical and/or functional leaves one place to go...

Jesus paid it all and all to Him I owe.

How do we come to Jesus and just be with Him for Himself? 

How do we love Him or learn to love Jesus as He is?

All that I can do is come and come to believe that all is well because Jesus is in me by faith in Him and His doing then perhaps I may be ready to learn something that Paul speaks of ...

I don't know much but I do pray to learn to just love Jesus and let all the 'stuff' be the stuff Jesus KNOWS ALL about and it or me or others matter to Him ...

Doing practical things are beyond some of us... Why?  GOD KNOWS.  What is practical to Him in this moment?  Come unto Me and I will give you rest.... learn of Me.... all that Jesus says to each human heart in any given moment is what matters most and He did and He does make all things new and renews faith, hope, and love.... moment by moment by His marvelous grace ..... and Tender Mercies.

Love and prayers to all here and in Christ's body.

Now to pray and pray to minister to Jesus first and be in Christ as He wills

Thank you again.

To God be the glory.

:-)g

• radar likes this

#4 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Ginger, I see Christ in you with the things you say and don't say. :) 

I've been working on my pride lately. It's amazing how subtle it can be sometimes. I keep asking the Lord to point it out to me. Our worth comes from Christ in us and not what we do on our own.

I too worry about our children, just watch Dr. Phil once in while to see the condition some families are in. If I don't set my eyes on Jesus it can get down right depressing.

Thank you for sharing about the son you put up for adoption. It must be so hard still, wondering who he became and how he's doing. I know it was a loving thing you did.

Peace, mercy and faith to all of you. In Christ's love, betsy

• radar and Ginger like this

#5 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

I may be way, way off here, (and if I am, please forgive me)but will someone please show me where in our scriptures that God had to "learn" to be obedient?  Jesus did suffer, but it was for me,  He died on the cross, but it was for me.  I am always wanting to learn all I can about our Lord and His life here on earth, but maybe I just missed where my omniscient, omnipotent, eternal, sovereign God...who always was and will always be, needed to learn obedience.  Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one, and as such are inseparable.  I know we are to understand the suffering of Christ, but we are also to understand that it was all planned before time began and was not an act of random violence that took the Lord by surprise.  He knew what was to happen to Him, and knew it for a very long time. 

I guess what bothers me about any statement suggesting that God had to "learn" obedience.  If that is true....He is not omniscient.  I am going to go way out on a limb here and say that my God cannot "learn" anything.  If He is going to "learn" obedience....who is He going to "learn" it from?  If I worshipped a God that had to learn anything, He wouldn`t be of any use to me because that would mean that there is another higher power teaching Him something.

Praise God because He is who He is....and He is who He SAYS He is,

Charlie

• radar likes this

#6 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hope this helps....

Heb 5:8 (KJV) Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

Hebrews 5:8
Barnes' Notes

Though he were a Son - Though the Son of God. Though he sustained this exalted rank, and was conscious of it, yet he was willing to learn experimentally what is meant by obedience in the midst of sufferings.
Yet learned he obedience - That is, he learned experimentally and practically. It cannot be supposed that he did not “know” what obedience was; or that he was “indisposed” to obey God before he suffered; or that he had, as we have, perversities of nature leading to rebellion which required to be subdued by suffering, but that he was willing to “test” the power of obedience in sufferings; to become personally and practically acquainted with the nature of such obedience in the midst of protracted woes; compare note on Phi_2:8. The “object” here is, to show how well suited the Lord Jesus was to be a Saviour for mankind; and the argument is, that he has set us an example, and has shown that the most perfect obedience may be manifested in the deepest sorrows of the body and the soul. Hence, learn that one of the objects of affliction is to lead us “to obey God.” In prosperity we forget it. We become self-confident and rebellious. “Then” God lays his hand upon us; breaks up our plans; crushes our hopes; takes away our health, and teaches us that we “must” be submissive to his will. Some of the most valuable lessons of obedience are learned in the furnace of affliction; and many of the most submissive children of the Almighty have been made so as the result of protracted woes.

• radar likes this

#7 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Betsy,

Thank you so very much!!!

Back then it was considered bringing shame upon a family when a young female became pregnant and was not married.  I was told it took more love to give a child up for adoption than to keep a child and not be married, especially a boy child.  They didn't want us to see the baby we were giving up.  I asked if it was allowable and told it was. 

To this day I still believe this was the most beautiful boy child I've ever seen. 

It is hard now when I hear a person who has been adopted that speaks that they have had a lot of things happen that were not good...

It seems that in Hebrews it speaks about not letting a root of bitterness grow up and defile many... adopted children do have children and the cycles of family dynamics go on generation after generation.... The blood of Jesus cleanses is all I know...... again thinking of younger children and praying ...... Salvation to the uttermost, please and thank you LORD..... for your namesake and your glory.

I know about the root of bitterness and Jesus can heal all this too.... Sometimes I've lamented over wrongs and not looked deeper....

It is written that we are to confess our faults or sins and pray for one another that we may be healed.... ............

I've been a very rebellious person especially so when things have not been the truth or fair............  we all have our thoughts.......

Only GOD KNOWS... in Ezekiel comes the words, "Thou knowest"..  All I know is I don't know much and that if I think I do I do not yet know as I ought.... that is in one of the books of Corinthians....

Just believe I fail and God KNOWS.... sometimes we have long standing consequences.... Failing to honor my parents was a huge fault and sin of mine too....

I am redeemed by the blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony... I ask forgiveness and can only trust that GOD KNOWS and saves us to the uttermost....

Consequences are not always earned either.... but most of mine are seemingly the results of my choices.....   Grateful for Jesus purchasing me and that He began a good work in me and He will complete it.

I post things now just because and trust God for this also.... perhaps my failings may illustrate how important it is to repent and be healed.... or else be given the grace that is sufficient....

If I never get any better or do better in some ways my Lord Jesus is gracing me with comfort about His loving me, loving us; and that what I think about 'stuff' is not that big a deal unless I'm holding onto stuff for self-centered reasons.... Otherwise, "All" things work together for my good because I do love the LORD and am called according to His purpose.... my failings are not that bad to own when He gives His grace to overcome in a way that I cannot explain..... wanting to Know Jesus is the most important thing ..... and obeying God and trusting Him with all the consequences..... Thankful for listening to Charles Stanley for this pearl of wisdom to hold and pray to learn....

My sins of pride show up anytime there is contention, just as Proverbs speaks of the sin of pride and contention.... God has been dealing with me about pride and humility for a long time.... hopefully I'm not frustrating the grace of God and learning to learn of Him...

God bless you Betsy!!!

• chipped china and radar like this

#8 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

Ginger,  Thank you for your explaination of the "learning by suffering" statement.  It was a bit stunning for me, even though I have read the passage many, many times.  I don`t guess we will ever know what was on the mind of the writer when those words were written, and in reality, I don`t think it would matter anyway.  In my opinion(so what comes after this doesn`t matter either), we often miss the forest for a tree or two that stands in our line of sight to block the whole picture.  I know I`m very guilty of this in certain situations.....don`t know if others are or not.     After reading several commentaries, several translations of the Bible, and speaking with a ThD or two, I still have not come away with a clear meaning for that sentence..Heb 5:8.  I have, however, come up with a much clearer view of the "forest" behind the tree. 

As Barnes stated.. It can`t be supposed that Jesus didn`t know what obedience was, or that He was disposed to be disobedient until He experienced suffering.  Jesus said that He did nothing unless He was told to by the Father.  He never said a word that was not given to Him by the Father.   "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father"..."I am the truth and the way".....These statements, along with many others do tell us that Jesus Christ was God, who happened to be living here with us(Emanuel).  All that is what makes Heb 5:8 one of those "trees". 

After much prayer, seeking, searching of soul, and reading....can I offer my interpretation of what was said here?  I know what is written, but also understand translations and bias of translators in an effort to help readers, and I don`t even know if that is even the case...but here goes the passage as it is pressed into my mind.

Though He were a Son, He demonstrated perfect obedience for us through suffering. 

I hope this interpretation does not offend anyone.  I was just trying to sort through a bit of a problem that is probably just my own. 

Peace,

Charlie

• radar likes this

#9 Glenn Rogero

Glenn Rogero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

x

#10 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for that clarification Charles. I did not answer since someone else explained my understanding of that scripture. But as you pointed out, there is much more to this scripture upon closer examination, especially in light of what the bible relates to it by other scriptures. From my E-sword study resources, here are the comparative translations to that verse:

Hebrews 5:8

(ABP+)  thoughG2539 beingG1510.6 a son,G5207 he learnedG3129 [2fromG575 3whatG3739 4he sufferedG3958 G3588 1obedience].G5218

(ASV)  though he was a Son, yet learned obedience by the things which he suffered;

(BBE)  And though he was a Son, through the pain which he underwent, the knowledge came to him of what it was to be under God's orders;

(CEV)  Jesus is God's own Son, but still he had to suffer before he could learn what it really means to obey God.

(Darby)  though he were Son, he learned obedience from the things which he suffered;

(DRB)  And whereas indeed he was the Son of God, he learned obedience by the things which he suffered.

(EMTV)  though He was a Son, He learned obedience by the things which He suffered.

(ERV)  Jesus was the Son of God, but he still suffered, and through his sufferings he learned to obey whatever God says.

(ESV)  Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered.

(GNB)  But even though he was God's Son, he learned through his sufferings to be obedient.

(GW)  Although Jesus was the Son of God, he learned to be obedient through his sufferings.

(ISV)  Son though he was, he learned obedience through his sufferings

(KJV)  Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

(KJV+)  ThoughG2539 he wereG5607 a Son,G5207 yet learnedG3129 he obedienceG5218 byG575 the things whichG3739 he suffered;G3958

(LEB)  Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered,

(LITV)  though being a Son, He learned obedience from what He suffered

(MKJV)  though being a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered.

(Murdock)  And though he was a son, yet, from the fear and the sufferings he endured, he learned obedience.

(NKJV)  though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered.

(RV)  though he was a Son, yet learned obedience by the things which he suffered;

(Webster)  Though he was a Son, yet he learned obedience by the things which he suffered;

(WNT)  Although He was God's Son, yet He learned obedience from the sufferings which He endured;

(YLT)  through being a Son, did learn by the things which he suffered--the obedience,

I then went on to see what other respected commentators had to say on the scripture: 

--------------

2. Being a Son, the text goes on to tell us that He had to learn obedience. How near this brings our Lord to us, that He should be a Son and should have to learn! We go to school to Christ and with Christ, and so we feel His fitness to be our compassionate High Priest.
3. Jesus must needs learn by suffering. As swimming is only to be learned in the water, so is obedience only learned by actually doing and suffering the Divine will.
4. The Lord Jesus Christ learned this obedience to perfection.
5. Our Lord learned by suffering mixed with prayer and supplication. His was no unsanctified sorrow, His griefs were baptised in prayer. It cost Him cries and tears to learn the lesson of His sufferings. He never suffered without prayer, nor prayed without suffering.
III. Behold the Lord Jesus as A SAVIOUR.
1. As a Saviour He is perfect. Nothing is lacking in Him in any one point. However difficult your case may seem, He is equal to it. Made perfect by suffering, He is able to meet the intricacies of your trials, and to deliver you in the most complicated emergency.
2. Henceforth He is the author of salvation. Author! How expressive! He is the cause i,f salvation; the originator, the worker, the producer of salvation. Salvation begins with Christ; salvation is carried on by Christ; salvation is completed by Christ. He has finished it, and you cannot sad to it; it only remains for you to receive it.
3. Observe that it is eternal salvation: “ the author of eternal salvation.” Jesus does not save us to-day and leave us to perish to-morrow; He knows what is in man, and so He has prepared nothing less than eternal salvation for man.
4. Furthermore, inasmuch as He has learned obedience and become a perfect High Priest, His salvation is wide in its range, for it is unto “all them that obey Him.”
5. Note, that He is all this for ever, for He is “a priest for ever.” If you could have seen Him when He came from Gethsemane, yon think you could have trusted Him. Oh! trust Him to-day, for He is “ called of God to be an High Priest after the order of Melchizedec,” and that order of Melchizedec is an everlasting and perpetual priesthood. He is able today to plead for you, able to-day to put away your sins. (C. H. Spurgeon.)

-------------------

Poor Man's Commentary (Hawker)

One word more on this interesting passage. The Son of God it is said, learned obedience by the things which he suffered. By which I presume is meant, that he learned, not as Son of God, but in his human nature, by personal feeling, in human sufferings, and human exercises. He acquired in that school, the full apprehension of suffering obedience, in suffering distresses; and, in a personal sense, of what we feel, he knew, what our exercises are. Sweet thought! In that he himself, hath suffered, being tempted; he knoweth how to succour them that are tempted!

-------------------

Matthew Henry

(1.) By these his sufferings he learned obedience, though he was a Son, Heb_5:8. Here observe, [1.] The privilege of Christ: He was a Son; the only-begotten of the Father. One would have thought this might have exempted him from suffering, but it did not. Let none then who are the children of God by adoption expect an absolute freedom from suffering. What Son is he whom the Father chasteneth not? [2.] Christ made improvement by his sufferings. By his passive obedience, he learned active obedience; that is, he practiced that great lesson, and made it appear that he was well and perfectly learned in it; though he never was disobedient, yet he never performed such an act of obedience as when he became obedient to death, even to the death of the cross. Here he has left us an example, that we should learn by all our afflictions a humble obedience to the will of God. We need affliction, to teach us submission.

-------------------

Believer's Bible Commentary

5:8   Now once again we come face to face with that profound mystery of the incarnation—how God could become Man in order to die for men.
Though He was a Son, or better, Son though He was—He was not a Son, that is, one of many, but He was the only begotten Son of God. In spite of this tremendous fact, He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. His entrance into this world as a Man involved Him in experiences which He would never have known had He remained in heaven. Each morning His ear was open to receive instructions from His Father for that day (Isa_50:4). He learned obedience experimentally as the Son who was always subject to His Father's will.

--------------------

John Wesley Explanatory Notes

Though he were a Son - This is interposed. lest any should be offended at all these instances of human weakness. In the garden, how frequently did he call God his Father! Mat_26:39, &c. And hence it most evidently appears that his being the Son of God did not arise merely from his resurrection. Yet learned he - The word learned, premised to the word suffered, elegantly shows how willingly he learned. He learned obedience, when be began to suffer; when he applied himself to drink that cup: obedience in suffering and dying.

------------------

Vincent's Word Studies

Though he were a Son (??????? ???? ??????)
For were rend. was. His training for the priesthood involved suffering, even though he was a son. Connect with ???????? learned, not with the preceding clause, which would mean that his position as a son did not exempt him from the obligation to godly fear, which is true as a fact (see Heb_5:7), but is not the point of emphasis here.

Learned he obedience (???????? ???? ?????????)
Omit he, since the subject of ???????? learned is ???? who, Heb_5:7. Jesus did not have to learn to obey, see Joh_8:29; but he required the special discipline of a severe human experience as a training for his office as a high priest who could be touched with the feeling of human infirmities. He did not need to be disciplined out of any inclination to disobedience; but, as Alford puts it, “the special course of submission by which he became perfected as our high priest was gone through in time, and was a matter of acquirement and practice.” This is no more strange than his growth in wisdom, Luk_2:52. Growth in experience was an essential part of his humanity.
By the things which he suffered (???' ???? ????????)
Or from the things, etc. Note the word-play, ???????? ????????. So Croesus, addressing Cyrus, says, ??? ??? ??? ?????????, ??????? ??????????, ????????? ????????, “my sufferings, though painful, have proved to be lessons” (Hdt. i. 207): so Soph. Trach. 142, ????' ?????????? ???????? “mayst thou not learn by suffering.”

-----------------

I know this is rather long, but for me this deserves a deeper look, after all, this is the Deeper Life Forum. These are but a few examples that illustrate the more common thinking among noted scholars through the ages. I think the last example by Vincent fits closely to what you are saying.

To sum it up for me, Jesus set aside his Godhood in that he, being made fully man, set aside certain rights and privileges as God to lower himself as a servant to the Father, with the same temptations and afflictions which are common to a fallen humanity. This was so we could know that He understands our temptations and afflictions with compassion. He "suffered" to learn obedience to the Father as an example of a man with human frailties that depends solely upon the upon God alone. His remarkable example includes the death on the cross!

Since He suffered on all points as a human, His sacrifice in perfect obedience to the Father qualified Him exclusively to the promises of God in such that death could not hold him since he was sinless, but as a reward for obedience, God exalted him to absolute power of all creation, including the full satisfaction of perfect Justice dovetailed with perfect Mercy. He acted as the only acceptable substitute for our death due to sin, and with the authority to give "whosever believes"  the right to inherit eternal life.

This has provoked a good amount of study by all on this thread, which I do not think we could have explored if you had not shared and I thank you for causing me to dig deeper into the Word!

Shalom,

chris 

• Charles Miles likes this

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#11 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Glenn, the way I understand that Jesus could be tempted is that  Jesus set aside certain rights and privileges as God and was made fully human, with the same frailty that we have as fallen creatures. Jesus suffered the temptation that faces every man but he did not sin as an example to us so we could know that when we go to Him with our burdens, that He understands perfectly our weaknesses in that he suffered as we do. If Jesus was not man, he could not be tempted. The devil knew this and the only hope that Satan had was that he knew that Jesus could be tempted as man. If Satan could get Jesus to sin by disobeying the Father to satisfy his lower nature as fully man by appealing to Jesus' hunger, temptation to the Father by placing himself in mortal danger, and the power to inherit the Kingdom by circumventing the Father's will, the plan of salvation would be destroyed, and the Godhood compromised. Given the  light of God's word available to the man Jesus as revealed in the book of Deuteronomy, that same word defeated the devil. If Jesus had not obeyed the word of God, the devil could argue that God was not absolute in His justice and use that as a legal evidence to God, that God "winked" at sin. That would entitle Satan to re-admittance to the heavenly realm for all eternity. We have the better promise in that we have the whole word of God revealed to us. That is the way I understand that difficult question and I hope this helps.

In His service,

chris

• Glenn Rogero and Charles Miles like this

#12 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

I do so dearly love to study God`s word.  When I come to a place, verse, chapter, or simply a comment that is confusing, I now know that there is a lesson there for me. A passage that totally" slaps my reasoning in the face" used to be a place I would skip over, or just pass on by....but no more!  When radar wrote that statement about Jesus having to suffer to learn obedience, I almost choked!  All my fiber screamed no, no, no, that`s wrong!  Then, after reading the verse, chapter, and re-reading the book of Hebrews, I decided that Holy Spirit was about to teach me something here.  That is usually the way it starts...    After prayer and study, a gentle inner voice something like..."you don`t understand, do you?"  "Lets look at it again and apply less of your reasoning and more of My Spirit into this study."  Ah, the lights come on and the confusion clears.  THEN I start to learn a spiritual principle never brought on by that part of Hebrews. 

Thanks to all here who stimulate the Holy Spirit within us to do what He only can do....teach, remind, and comfort.  What a glorious few days I have spent with the Lord just submerging myself in His enlightenment of His Word. I feel like I have had the most refreshing shower of my life.  I always do after a session such as this.

Thanks again to all,

Charlie

• radar likes this