• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

It was brought to my attention on another thread, and I believe it was Spirit led, to ask the question how sorrow and joy can coexist in a Christian.  I know that Jesus was  a man of sorrows, and that for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross. I am in a sore trial now in ministry and the devil is throwing everything he can to prevent the Gospel from being carried out. I know that Jesus has already prayed that my faith fail me not (Lu 22:31-34, Jo 17:20), and that any trial sent is allowed by God (Job 1).

I would like to hear some thoughts on how joy and sorrow can coexist in a Christian. Thank you friends!

Shalom,

radar

• Candice likes this

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#2 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

"But for the joy set before Him, Christ endured the cross...."  I do so wish I could send music through as a resonse to this, but since I can`t, let me say something here.  My wife, who passed away suddenly, was a writer of praise music, both lyrics and music.  She wrote a beautiful song about just this topic and it opened my eyes to what exactly happens here.  The "joy" set before Christ was me!!! And was YOU!!!  Yes, there was sorrow in that man had left and lost the relationship with the Father, but Christ counted as "joy" the act of His sacrifice for us.  I am stunned by His love for me and what it took to redeem mankind.  Notice that Jesus did not ask the people in the upper room if they appreciated what He had done, He didn`t tell them that they should be so thankful for what He suffered, He just loved them and gave them comfort in that time of fear. He was "joyful" that He was able, more than able, to correct a terminal condition of man....death.  If we only accept it as fact and act on it.

One of the most humbling thoughts, maybe THE most humbling thought for me, is to think that during the crucifiction Jesus saw through the pain and suffering to "count as joy" all that for ME!!  Wow!  How much does God love us? We cannot even begin to fathom God`s love when He "counts as joy" the suffering on the cross and the torment in hell, and it is all for us.

Praise God for loving me, a sinner,

Charlie

• Kevin Blankenship, Candice, chipped china and 3 others like this

#3 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

A precious word, Charles. If might I would like to add this:

If you are being tested hard, just listen, trust and obey and you’ll find joy there in the new dimension that faith creates. I’ve caught myself grinning from ear to ear at the most inappropriate time because my spirit knew a deeper truth than the tribulation around me and I had no way to explain it. 

There is an incredible freedom, in trusting that God is in charge regardless what our circumstances might be, that produces a joy that is different from joy as defined by human happiness. I think it is best described as being a more mature emotion, or soul joy. It comes from knowing there is nothing this world can do to you. Yes, the world can hurt us physically, torture and kill us but they can’t kill our souls, which is the most important part of us. I cannot tell you how joyful I am to know that satan can’t have me. It makes him so mad!

That kind of joy sees the horizon, not just the ground under our feet.

Joy in believing we’ll be spared hardship will always abandon us when hardship comes, rather true faith allows that joy suddenly finds us in the middle of being tried and tested. 

'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops

What if Your healing comes through tears

And what if a thousand sleepless nights

Are what it takes to know You're near

What if my greatest disappointments

Or the achings of this life

Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy

And what if trials of this life

The rain, the storms, the hardest nights

Are Your mercies in disguise

Lyrics from “Blessings” by Laura Story 

For Christ,

Meema

My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9).

• Candice, chipped china, radar and 2 others like this

#4 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

"But for the joy set before Him, Christ endured the cross...."  I do so wish I could send music through as a resonse to this, but since I can`t, let me say something here.  My wife, who passed away suddenly, was a writer of praise music, both lyrics and music.  She wrote a beautiful song about just this topic and it opened my eyes to what exactly happens here.  The "joy" set before Christ was me!!! And was YOU!!!  Yes, there was sorrow in that man had left and lost the relationship with the Father, but Christ counted as "joy" the act of His sacrifice for us.  I am stunned by His love for me and what it took to redeem mankind.  Notice that Jesus did not ask the people in the upper room if they appreciated what He had done, He didn`t tell them that they should be so thankful for what He suffered, He just loved them and gave them comfort in that time of fear. He was "joyful" that He was able, more than able, to correct a terminal condition of man....death.  If we only accept it as fact and act on it.
One of the most humbling thoughts, maybe THE most humbling thought for me, is to think that during the crucifiction Jesus saw through the pain and suffering to "count as joy" all that for ME!!  Wow!  How much does God love us? We cannot even begin to fathom God`s love when He "counts as joy" the suffering on the cross and the torment in hell, and it is all for us.

Praise God for loving me, a sinner,

Charlie

Wow, this response by Charlie cannot be improved upon; at least not by me in a personal sense. My own "appreciation" of this act of God through Christ sometimes seems head knowledge; other times, I am saddened that mankind was so fallen and had to be redeemed in such a brutal and unfair way in Jesus's suffering. It is almost painful to say that His suffering seems so massive; yet, it is personal and I know that.

So, personally there is the fruit of the Spirit which includes "joy" and that is not manufactured in the spiritual sense. Example: I joyfully bear some things in my concern for the lost, especially lost family. But, it is joy if I were to be persecuted because I know I'm in the sheep fold so-to-speak. This joy isn't an emotion. It's something that is spiritual in that I always acknowledge it as Christ in me for if He were not present, I wouldn't care for the lost nor risk being rejected for Christ and talking about Him. I've not been persecuted like those who really suffer in the underground church or Iran, et al, but it does still have that "joyful sting" to have some rejection and scoffing by those you love most.

Then, sorrow is that which isn't spiritual (IMHO), but where Christ shares in our sufferings and knows what it is like to be human and experience what we go through. To me, it is the dualism of Spirit and flesh. It is painful to have Satan mess with us. But, I have noticed some help from The Helper, The Comforter knowing that He is on my side despite all. However, believe me, I am still swinging in my soul oftentimes. Yet, it's not reality. That battle is going on right next to you in the spirit realm. So close, you can almost feel it sometimes, like breathing. I've had dark figures over me in the middle of the night before during times when Satan most wanted me destroyed. Thankfully, I had a great bible teacher who told me about rebuking demons.

I bring up the above simply because when you are getting knocked down in ministry, especially sharing the Gospel, it is really spiritual in nature. I keep going back and rebuking, but always praying. Really, saying "May the Lord rebuke you". He can take care of it.

Radar, I hope this helps. I don't have an "answer' except from that personal experience you requested. I think Charlie's response is really the crux of it. It is about Christ and the enemy has no power over us.

I pray in Jesus's name Father God, that Radar would receive your blessings on him as he ministers, shares the Gospel and serves you and loves you that You show Him your love and make him aware of what's going on and how he ought to respond in faith. Bless Radar and give him perseverance to pursue despite the enemy. Give him reminders daily to take up Your "armor" and just believe.

Blessings,
Candice

PS Must have been writing this as Meema was writing her response. I agree with her too; wholeheartedly!
  • chipped china and radar like this

#5 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

Amen!

For Him,

Meema

#6 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Great fulfilling responses from everyone. Thank you. Radar, I too pray for the Lord to keep building your ministry. Cast your cares upon Him. Joy is knowing we have found eternal salvation, we are free from our sins, from the alarms of conscience, and from the terror of the law. (Barnes notes on the bible) Happiness is something that comes and goes depending on our circumstances.

New Living Translation 1 John 4:4
But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world.

Joyful Joyful Joyful!!!
  • radar likes this

#7 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:36 AM

Radar,

Sometimes the sorrow I have may not be godly sorrow.  If I'm truly sorrowful over sins and for failing to honor God or for grieving the Holy Spirit then I believe that is having godly sorrow.   These are what I forget to remember to think about.  Like even now....I'm posting and remembered a very little about making a pre-posting prayer... So consider if any of my words are even worthy of your attention... okay?

A big failing on my part is to see if I even thought of whether God's glory had even been given a passing thought.  Most of the things I have sorrow over are not trivial but it seems the focus is my thinking that I've failed to please God and only please myself.  Have a Dear Brother that's posted some and would 'understand' what I'm attempting to share about.  

The joy that does coexist deep inside of me along with sorrow is because Jesus is the Who and I'm His and He defines the What of anything that touches me or my life; and He processes it too.   Sometimes I just don't have a clue.  This keeps my Hope in Him and lets me experience Joy and sometimes 'wonderment' or 'awe'.  And there are times Jesus  processes me right out of His way so He can do whatever is best for me even if I don't know 'come here' from sickum.   Makes me think of having a Big Brother tell me to move over and let Him do it.... So thankful that Jesus is the I Am and loves me so much.

Only the Bible and good old sound teaching by His Word and by His Spirit keep me moment by moment.  Sometimes all I'm able to do is listen to audio after converting documents to mp3s.  Reckon having NaturalReader, e-Sword, and MS Word with e-Sword add-in lets me use e-Sword right in the MS Word docs.  being able to convert them to mp3s surely helps combine Scriptures with commentaries easily.

Joy cometh because Jesus gives me comfort in the midst of whatever I'm having sorrow and difficulties about.  

A pastor of long ago had a terrible lot of sorrow and melancholy and suffered terrible and also had knowledge and experiences of profound joy.  He lived his life the best he was able and experienced a lot of 'sorrow'....His name, David Brainerd.  Jonathan Edwards had him come live with him when he believed it was necessary.  David Brainerd Diary is in Vol 2 of Jonathan Edward's works.  Reading and/or listening to the words of David Brainerd and Jonathan Edwards are showing a lot about Sorrow and Joy Coexisting in a Christian. 

May all of God's spiritual riches bless you mightily as you traverse this portion of your Journey of Faith.  Grace, mercy, and peace dear brother.  A lot of Christians suffer and there is a comforting Jesus who ministers and somehow He is our joy in the midst of sorrow.

It is an idea of mine that some men are true elders and been chosen to be an elder by the Lord and been matured via trials.  How wonderful to have men who are the planting of the Lord and can lead and disciple others because He is the One who is the teacher. Some of our elder brothers have gone on before us and left us a legacy in their works and these still mentor us when we let them. 

Reckon I don't know what the reason is or what the trying and testing difficulties your having to deal with are but God KNOWS and I reckon He will provide all that is for His glory and for your best. 

Bless you Brother Radar. 

Thank you to Jesus and in His name, please for your glory Lord, please and thank you, amen.

Love and prayers,

Ginger

• chipped china and radar like this

#8 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:11 AM

Wow! Such amazing answers, and I get it! I also have some things I can investigate and see if they assist me in my walk. Want to know the results of your prayers? Yesterday I didn't come to the forum. I teach a class of new believers who are part of a 90 day drug and alcohol recovery program we have at our ministry. I asked the question because even a new believer may have a worthy answer. The group did not have answer, but expressed a keen desire to hear my results from you guys when I go back to teach next Thursday. Isn't it a wonderful thing when God takes something that I asked for and it goes way beyond myself and has  unforeseen consequences. Not only am I strengthened but my new brothers can be strengthened too! I could have never imagined!  My joy returned in the midst of the sorrows, and it was a great time of fellowship and learning as this teacher is also a student, 

I want to thank each and everyone of you dear Saints who encourage and exhort me. May the Mercy, Grace, and Peace of God OUR FATHER be multiplied to you through our dear Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, whom all the Praise, Glory and Honor belong!

radar

• chipped china likes this

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#9 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Wow! Such amazing answers, and I get it! I also have some things I can investigate and see if they assist me in my walk. Want to know the results of your prayers? Yesterday I didn't come to the forum. I teach a class of new believers who are part of a 90 day drug and alcohol recovery program we have at our ministry. I asked the question because even a new believer may have a worthy answer. The group did not have answer, but expressed a keen desire to hear my results from you guys when I go back to teach next Thursday. Isn't it a wonderful thing when God takes something that I asked for and it goes way beyond myself and has  unforeseen consequences. Not only am I strengthened but my new brothers can be strengthened too! I could have never imagined!  My joy returned in the midst of the sorrows, and it was a great time of fellowship and learning as this teacher is also a student, 

I want to thank each and everyone of you dear Saints who encourage and exhort me. May the Mercy, Grace, and Peace of God OUR FATHER be multiplied to you through our dear Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, whom all the Praise, Glory and Honor belong!

radar

So glad to hear this; His word does not return void. Amen!
  • radar likes this

#10 Fireweed Trekker

Fireweed Trekker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:19 AM

This is a topic I need to chew on.

Radar as one veteran to another, welcome home and thank you for your service.

• radar likes this

B?  & C?

#11 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

Charles Spurgeon was another great preacher who experienced times of deep depression. I'm not implying that your situations are similar......as Spurgeon's seemed to happen frequently and he would isolate from everyone until they passed.  But there DOES seem to be a pattern emerging: True men/women of the faith dealing with depression/sorrow.

I head it said of another great preacher from the past but cannot recall the name.  I am DEFINITELY not a great preacher of great man of Faith, but I do slide down into deep depressions.  But this ain't about me.

I am praying specifically for you in your time in the valley (so to speak).  "weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." Psalm 30:5

#12 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Thanks Kevin for letting me know about Spurgeon's depression.  I have googled and found a a wealth of information that Spurgeon had to say on that subject. Being diagnosed as a Bipolar I, things are very challenging for me at times. I guess that is my thorn in the flesh so to speak   :rolleyes:  (keep looking up!)

Shalom,

radar

#13 Glenn Rogero

Glenn Rogero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

x

• radar likes this

#14 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

There is an incredible freedom, in trusting that God is in charge regardless what our circumstances might be

AMEN

• radar likes this