Photo

Found a new book!!!!!! Gotta share it!!!! (and further musings and gratitudes)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

The Author is: Jefferson Bethke and the name of the book is: "JESUS>RELIGION"  Underneath the title it says: "Why HE is so much better than trying harder, doing more, and being good enough." 

The book receives good reviews from Governor Mike Huckabee  and several more. I have read two chapters. And I am going to read more.  Also, type his name into Youtube.

Of course, those who are trying to keep the institution alive that has been called "church" for so long might want to read it to. So that they can dislike it and give it bad reviews. lol   (light-heartedly said)

I paid 15 bucks at WalMart for it. I'm not sure if there is a Kindle E Book out for it yet or not. Anyway....

I want to take this time, here right at bedtime, right after I had my buttered toast and seedless blackberry jam (hope it don't give me weird dreams),  to give to you who have been praying for me, out of the very sweetness of your heart, my most sincere thanks!!!! IT WORKED!!! Your prayers have been answered. I have come across to the other side and am rapidly climbing up and enjoying a time of rest. I didn't totally forsake the Faith while enduring my chastisement. Indeed, if I was NOT a Christian, I would be a bastard-child and would not care, one way or other, if there was a valley or a peak. I'd simply....probably, just drink myself into oblivion every night. But that has not happened. I find myself singing Praise songs that we used to sing (while I played the keyboard/piano) while I attended Christian Life Center Assembly of God. You know, I have often not spoken well of some of the stuff I witnessed while there, but in reality....all in all.....I was VERY VERY BLESSED to have around me a circle of friends who REALLY loved Jesus!!!! I was SO blessed. I am going to try and cut back on dissing my previous places of worship because it accomplishes nothing and it builds no one up. Just another manifestation of my propensity to be selfish and self centered.

But I fee a special nearness of God tonite.  I told on myself a few mornings ago for putting worldly pursuits before my morning time with God. So now, to equalize it....I am sharing with all of you (who may care)  about what life is like on the glorious mountain. I pray that I have learned much while trudging through the dark place.  A new trust in Jesus. An added intensity of fervor in crying out to Jesus when I feel that I am sinking. And, perhaps, more trust that Jesus will indeed reach out and pull me up when things just get to foul.  James said: "Count it all joy when you suffer divers trials and temptations...."   But all I do, much of the time, is hang my head and declare "Woe is me...." But....enough of that nonsense.  I thank God that He loves me enough to chastise me properly so that the peaceable fruit of righteousness will result.  I WANT to be GOOD.....NOT bad. I want to be SELF-LESS.....NOT selfish.  I want to be righteous....not unrighteous.   And I/we  am/are  the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus!!!!!   Going to bed with a happy song in my heart. Good night sisters and brothers in Christ. I am learning to love you more and more each day.  The hard-pan soil of my heart is giving way to the breaking plow of God's Spirit.  And without your prayers.....it would not/could not............happen.  So....thank you SO VERY MUCH!!!!!

• Julie Daube, chipped china, noah22x and 1 other like this

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hi Kevin,

So glad to hear you're on the mountain,  This really is just like the Good Shepherd who promised to diligently lead all His sheep to safety despite our own human frailty.  We really are just like sheep....all of us. 

I think you should read A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller.  I think you'd be blessed by this simple, but very truthful fulfilling read.

I will check out your book reference!

Love, Candice

• Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#3 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

Thanks Candace!!!! I will defintely check out the bok you are talking about. I'm heading to Amazon now to see if there is a Kindle version available. If not, I'll just order the book. I like books better anyway.  For the most part.

#4 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

Sounds like it might be a good book Kevin. Glad you found it. Amazon has it for $8.34 in paperback. Kindle too.

#5 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Wow, I should have waited intil I got home from Wally World and got the Kindle edition!!!! Saved some dollars.  In this day and age, a dollar saved is a dollar earned.  Well, it's really always been that way.

Hey y'all.......I am travelling 90 miles to a Field Target airgun match tomorrow.  Just a bunch of us middle age guys with our toys having some friendly competition. I am happy to say that at least half of them are true blue followers of Christ. The Match Director included. We have prayer before every match.  And many times, we share our faith.  As my extended cyber-church (I know, I know, it's not replacing "in person" church), please pray for me and everyone to have a safe journey.  (I'm pointing this to all of you prayer warriors out there.......you know who you are!)

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

Kevin
Prayed for your safety, fellowship and enjoyment tomorrow with your buddies

Peace to you,
Candice
  • Kevin Blankenship likes this

#7 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:29 AM

Much obliged, Canice!!!!!!  Thank you!!!!