Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Granbury Church of the Nazarene

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

I have ben using a devotion book of writings from Andrew Murray, and I have copied today's here below.

"Bread is indispensable to life. We all understand this. However strong a person may be, if he takes no nourishment he will grow weaker and eventually die. Even so with the Word of God. Bread must be eaten. I may know all about bread. I may give it to others. I may have bread in my house and on my table in great abundance, but that will not help me. I must eat the bread. If through illness I am unable to eat it, I shall die. Likewise, mere knowledge of God's Word and even preaching it to others will not help me. It is not enough to think about it. I must feed on God's Word and take it into my heart and life. Bread must be eaten daily, and the same is true of God's Word. The psalmist says: "But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night."(Psalm 1:2) "Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day."(Psalm 119:97). To secure a strong and powerful spiritual life, spending time in God's Word everyday is indispensable. When on earth, the LORD Jesus learned, loved, and obeyed the Word of His Father. If you seek fellowship with Him, you will find Him in His Word."

I have to admit, that there have been few devotions that I have read lately that have stayed with me throughout the entire day.  But this one keeps creeping into my thoughts.  I think of the words of Jesus in John 6 to eat His body and drink His blood, and I think of Ezekiel told eat the scroll.  And I ask myself, do I fully consume the Word, Jesus, The Bread?  Do I drink in Jesus, the Living Water?  Do I step completely into the Light that is Christ, and leave behind the darkness of this world?  And sadly, I have to confess that I do not.  As Murray writes, I have bread (the Word) throughout my house, and I read it every day...but I do not but occasionally actually consume it, chew on it and swallow it down into my inner being.

Lord, help me to hunger and thirst for You, to earnestly seek You, to be totally surrendered to You.

• elizabethcog, Charles Miles, chipped china and 2 others like this

#2 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Good food. I find I want to take it all into my heart but have trouble retaining it, making it all work together. I kind of understand surrendering and sometimes I am His vessel but it's hard work letting go of self continually. The old nature is such a nag!

Thanks for sharing. bets 

• elizabethcog likes this