• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

It is time to take a hard look at "Christian" fiction. I'm certain that our Lord would not want to be identified with some of today's offerings. Let me hasten to say that God values that with which the writer truly wanted to honor Him. That doesn't mean that He is pleased with the actual content, in many cases. I'm alarmed with the implicit endorsement of worldly entertainment and standards in not a few novels. I'm offended with the swearing in some stories. (Do writers realize that "OMG" is swearing unless they are truly calling on God)? Where is the call for separation and holy living in many of today's novels? Is drinking in moderation now acceptable for Christians? Hardly! God has not changed His standards but some Christian writers have given up defending them. Writers and publishers claim that we have to be relevant or we will not be read. If we have to compromise then maybe we should consider a different calling. We are not commissioned to go with the tide, but instead to demonstrate a Godly alternative to the sunken standards of a fallen world. Sugar coating worldly standards with some Scripture doesn't eradicate the smell. Now, I thank God for those Christian writers whose wholesome novels challenge and inspire us to receive salvation and to live Christ-honoring lives. May their number be multiplied! Good novels can have a powerful impact in many lives. "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my Redeemer" (Psalm 19:14). May the words in our novels be acceptable also! Selah! May He smile on our uncompromising determination to be pure.   Thinker   (Ron)