Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

For SO long I have been caught in the trap of performance-based salvation. Joseph Prince's new book entitled Right Believing has been real good at pulling me from the far end of the spectrum. But I do not want to go TOO far. So.....I finished the book.....and am presently back to reading The Pursuit of God (for about the thousandth time.......slightly exaggerated).   I am doing this to balance out what I read in Prince's book. In Prince's defense.....I MUST say that he glorified Jesus all throughout the book. But there are some theological issues that I cannot agree with. But, I don't, at all, see his book as your basic Word of Faith, "name it  and claim it", claptrap. 

I will start reading the four Gospels again and in between.....do a little supplemental reading in Tozer's book.  (I have em all...as do most here I assume).

Let me share with you what I have just done.  I bought one of those ROKU TV boxes that allows your TV to receive signals from your computer's router.  In short.....I have been watching non-stop episodes of Downton Abbey, Doc Martin, and a few British documentaries. I use to get to bed by ten (central time). But now, I often find myself getting to bed at 12:30 or even 12:45 am.  Just ONE MORE episode.

I started that morning, watching the stuff. Giving very little time to my spiritual life.  And now, I am reaping the benefits of my actions. My conscince condemns me. I feel about as unspiritual as ever.  I called my aunt tonite and asked her if she wanted the ROKU box for half price (I gave 96 bucks for it before taxes). Then, you have to get on your computer and sign up for ACORN streaming TV, (About 7 bux a month).  But I just LOVE British TV.  I was trying to LOVE British TV and my love for God just kept getting more and more anaemic.  Anyway, today I decided that enough was enough. I mean,....what if Jesus comes back and I am kicked back watching Series Three Episode Four of Downton Abbey.  There I'll be!!!!! With absolutely NO oil in my lamp.  Are y'all ever frightened that y'all be caught unawares when Jesus comes to get us.  I mean....while doing something utterly meaningless. I mean......it would have been quite different if I placed my time with the Lord as FIRST PLACE and PRIORITY and THEN........during a time that was set aside for entertainment,,,,,,,,I would watch an episode and then go on with my life with the full knowledge that Jesus lives within me and has much more pressing matters.......like spreading the gospel message......or just thinking about somebody other than myself.  I notice that TV seems to have an almost hypnotic element to it. You just sit there and look.  You don't have to do anything but just look and listen.  Anyway.....whew, I was glad to get that off of my chest. 

• Candice, elizabethcog and Ginger like this

#2 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

Well, I like British TV too, in fact I changed my computer start up screen to BBC news instead of MSN because the majority of their stories are entertainment, sports, celebrity, bla bla bla . Now with that said; you have an addictive personality like I do. I pray the Lord would take it away and He has to some extent but I can't imagine it being totally gone until eternity. It's been a thorn in my side but without it I may not have answered the Lord's call.

So I'm glad you got that off your chest and I will keep you in my prayers. I wish I would get addicted to prayer. I don't pray enough but usually feel the Lord is never far from me (or should I say; I from Him). I talk to Him a lot but serious prayer is lacking. The Lord through this group has helped deepen my desire and understanding of prayer's importance. Speaking of prayer, I have something to talk to God about so later.... keep the faith dear Kevin, and shape up! ha!

• Kevin Blankenship, Candice, elizabethcog and 2 others like this

#3 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:22 AM

We simply need moderation and balance in our life. Start the day with Jesus and end the day with Jesus and let God lead and guide you in all things in between those two times

• Kevin Blankenship, Candice, elizabethcog and 1 other like this

#4 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

It is so cool how God uses us and the things of us to speak truth in each others lives.....and His Holy Spirit which leads us at times against our own will but then like you pointed out brother that is the point and thank you for yet again your honesty of your humaness,encouraging again..... :) ( I like smiley faces)

• Kevin Blankenship, chipped china and Ginger like this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D