• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

"Love is a commitment that will be tested in the most vulnerable areas of spirituality, a commitment that will force you to make some very difficult choices. It is a commitment that demands that you deal with your lust, your greed, your pride, your power, your desire to control, your temper, your patience, and every area of temptation that the Bible clearly talks about. It demands the quality of commitment that Jesus demonstrates in His relationship to us."
Ravi Zacharias

I realize after time alone with God this evening that I have wandered so far from the above framework and realities. This is especially true in dealing with control. How can we (I) believe we can control one bitty thing, even (and, perhaps especially) when our motive is love and (what one believes) for righteousness' sake? What a paradox of love and giving up control.
  • Kevin Blankenship, Charles Miles and Kenny like this

#2 Big John

Big John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:43 AM

Wow!

You really hit on a key.  Talking about control.  I had an interesting discussion with a young woman on friday night about giving up control.  I have known her for a few years and she has a catholic background that she mostly discounts.  And she is not a believer.  She tends towards a more meta-physical perspective.  Maybe a little more of a cosmic consciousness kind of perspective.  Anyway, she was talking about how she has always wondered about "fitting in".  She had always been resistent to planning and would rather be spontaneous.  I observed to her that it was interesting that she found herfself working in the insurance industry which was so circumscribed by rules and regulations. 

She said that she felt like the problem was that she didn't like yielding what she felt was her control of whatever situation she was in.  I'm having a little trouble recalling all of what was said but the upshot of it all was that (and it just hit me like a thunderbolt while she was tallking) I just felt that she was losing most of the battles she was describing because she was resistant to, not willing to submit to, the strictures she often felt.  Most of the time, when dealing with a combative person, the simplest way to disarm them is to acquiesce.  Not to attempt to argue.  To let the person "beat the air".  You can't let them "beat" on you, of course, but so often people are jsut dealing with some emotion and/or frustration and they need to be allowed to vent it.  So, in a way, you are submitting to that expression of emotion (or pain?).  And once expressed it can be more readily dealt with. 

Don't know where I was exactly going with all that but most control that we think we have is only "perceived" control anyway.  Whats more, one doesn't gain control by being the loudest or having the last word or being proved right, etc.  If we christians really believe in God as the omnipotent, omniscient power of the universe, then we also need to acknowledge our lack of control.  If we here who converse via these threads had been born in a third world country we would have a much different view of the kinds of things we could or could not control.  I hear so many, many people talking about the fact that we are living in the last days.  But the reality is that many have been preaching the end times since shortly after Jesus was born.  I am somewhat of a student of church history and I think that you could name many, many times in the history of the church and the world that were much more horrific times.  Times of much more moral depravity and paganism, etc.  So, I believe that a lot of people preach stuff like that because it gives them a perceived feeling of control.  Too much time is wasted on "getting ready" for Jesus to come back and not near enough time getting to know Jesus. 

I didn't name anything that might be wrong. Or that you might feel ashamed of. Maybe. But if we take the time to really get to know God and get good at hearing God then we will be able to have confidence that when we do any of those things or other things that we are being directed by Him.

A lot of people on here quote Tozer. I really like him too. He sure wasn't perfect but he ran his life in a way that he believed fit with the revelation of what God had shown him. Very frugal. Very austere. etc And he could be someone to emulate but it would be a lot more exciting if you were getting your marching orders from God, yes.

Why are you saved?  Why are you here?  Is it to build a portfolio you can retire on?  Is it to get a nice set of matching dishes?  Or a nice outfit to go to Christmas service in?  Or run more often to make you more cardiovascularly fit?  Get more education?  Have more kids?  Buy a ranch?  Anew car?  To make more money so you can give a really good missions offering?  etc etc etc etc

I didn't name anything wrong in that list.  Nothing one should be ashamed of.  Maybe.  But we do owe it to ourselves to get to know God really well so that He can really talk to us and we can hear.  Then we won't have to be too fearful about missing what God is really wanting us to know and do.

Anyway, I'm not too sure that there was a very clear thread to what I just typed, so I think I'll quit. Was going to bed over an hour ago.

I'll leave you with what we used to say in our christian fellowship in college. "Here, There or in the Air!" lol

Big John
  • Kevin Blankenship and Charles Miles like this

#3 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:55 AM

I just listened to a tape by Chuck Smith. I need to listen to this one every day until I get it.  The site is Firefighters for Christ MP3 download site, tape number 42291, Entering into His Rest. Sorry I'm having trouble with copy and paste.

• Kevin Blankenship likes this

#4 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

Firefighters for Christ have quite a few websites. The one I use is Thru the Bible Series.

#5 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

I so agree with Big John on this topic of worry and frustration in this life.  I certainly don`t think we should just live in the moment and not try to look ahead to the future for our family, but I think way too many people become obsessed with worry about things that "could" happen and panic.  As I said in another post somewhere, about 99% of the stuff we worry about we can`t do anything about anyway. For me, worry is a lot like anger....it will eat you up from the inside and cause mental and health problems down the road.  We should do what we can do for the future, which isn`t much, and then just put all the concern down.  I think that giving your family and friends your love, as well as trying to be an example that shows what God`s love can accomplish, will be an excellent inheritance to leave.  I dearly love my family and I will do what I can to help them in the future, but it will do neither them or me any good at all to have me worry about it until I become ill.

This certainly is the season many people get depressed and have a difficult time with life, but it is also the season in which we celebrate God`s gift of His Son who was to be a sacrifice that offers us freedom from all this mess.  The sacrifice was once, for all, but many people still fail to see that.  All sin has been forgiven if we will take advantage of the offer.  The author of worry, deprssion, anxiety, confusion, and panic, has been defeated and made a specticle in front of his own demons.  Satan doesn`t even have the keys to hell anymore, so all he has is a bluff.  We all still have to confront issues here, but the battle has already been won by Jesus, who has never lost a battle and who never will. We are more than victors, not because of anything we did, but by His victory....maybe we should act joyful like a victor should when we are confronted with issues we can`t control.  I have trouble always responding as a victor but I am working daily to act the way I should during these confrontations.

Sorry about the rambling post, but John`s post got me "stirred" up.  May God bless all of His family.  I know He will because He said He would.

In Christ,

Charlie

#6 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Amen Charlie and Big John.

I woke up this morning feeling good and joyful. Resting in God sure takes a load off. With our minds and hearts set on Him we've got to stop trying so hard and enjoy what the Lord has given us.

• Charles Miles likes this

#7 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

I just listened to a tape by Chuck Smith. I need to listen to this one every day until I get it. The site is Firefighters for Christ MP3 download site, tape number 42291, Entering into His Rest. Sorry I'm having trouble with copy and paste

Betsy
Just how God works: I Am on my way to Denver (last Ortho follow up hopefully ) and listening to this sermon on the way!! Many times. Staying with my friend in Fort Collins a couple of days Her husband was Calvary Chapel pastor and knew Chuck. Praise The Lord for your resource here. Always good stuff.

Just had to stop for a brief break and let you know. Just passed Cheyenne. So elated to be blessed with friends here!!

Love
Candice