Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • The Bridge

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:08 AM

When a storm is coming there are certain things that come first,and after having weathered some we,if we pause a bit, are equipped to discern the things that come first as to what might come next.When it is going to rain the pressure drops ,the clouds hide the sun, the wind stirs things up.Even the birds and bugs sense of change and prepare for what they "feel" is coming. Somedays even if you prepared things do not come about as you thought.The clouds go away to reveal the sun,(it was never really gone only obscured from your view for a time) the wind calms and it is a beautiful day.Well how is this you might ask,to be wrong when all the evidence and past encounters told of what was to come.Well I will just go about my business and trust in my senses as i certainly shouldn't judge incorrectly again.I must decide each day or better with every breath and thought where I will place my trust and in what I will believe no matter what goes on around me in this rather unreliable climate (world). as always with love,in Christ...
  • Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship, Charles Miles and 3 others like this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#2 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

Amen! Not only that, but the weather charts of those that have gone before show patterns of other lifetimes lived long before ours...let us lean into the master over the storms!

#3 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

Elizabeth,

Thank you for Fresh Bread for this day. 

.... Gifts of Beauty, Discernment, Depth, Wise Counsel, and Love in Christ.

Bless you!!!  

Gratitude to God for His Tender Mercy and Grace,

Ginger 

• elizabethcog likes this

#4 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Amen! Brother Marvin.  Amen.

• elizabethcog and radar like this

#5 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

Elizabeth,

Your words really touched me as do most of your writings.

The Lord used the scenario you described to show me something: rain is generally a good thing. It waters the earth. Normally, it is contained in fluffy clouds that float in blue skies.

A storm, however, is different. Instead, the good thing can be used against us in a harmful way. Indeed, winds and pelting rain can destroy and even kill. 

Well, people can do that with the Word of God. It is meant to be shared through men who have the fruit of the Spirit-gentleness, for example (see Gal 5: 22-23 for a list). But, men who are not abiding in Christ can use the same Word of God like a weapon, so that it becomes a storm in our lives (legalism). Indeed, angry men in the flesh can use what is meant as words of reconciliation to God as a means of separating people from Him. Threats, rather than the open-arms of Christ are presented. However, Jesus came to save, not to condemn (John 3:17). He demonstrates this in His actions towards the woman "caught in the act of adultery" (John 7:53-8:11). A group of religious leaders dragged a woman before Jesus because she had committed one of the big sexual taboos of the day. Despite Roman rule, Pharisees and the religious leaders would kill women caught in adultery (this was against the law for them). But, Jesus responded differently. He did not condone her sin, but He didn't condemn her either. Instead, He protected her from her accusers, forgave her and told her to stop sinning.

That's our beautiful Savior. He is full of mercy and grace.

• Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog, radar and 1 other like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#6 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

When I was in the Navy years ago, I had a buddy who was a weatherman and gave us briefings every day. He once told me that it was never smart to give a weather report with one`s back to the window. Maybe we are in this situation somewhat in our daily walk with the Lord and we attempt to choose future actions based upon what has happened in previous similar situations, and I would say that this has worked many, many times for us all. It`s called learned behavior and is taught in schools all over the world. Maybe, just maybe, some of the impending storms, some of the minor disturbances, cloudy days, and situations that make us uncomfortable, are used to be learning tools for us. Not always and not even regularly. Maybe we, as born-again Christians and children of the living God should NOT expect the same outcome as before, but an outcome with God`s fingerprint on it. I dearly love the mountain top and all the good feelings that go with the spiritual "highs", but I find that most of my education about Holy Spirit, dealing with others, and just solving of problems usually happens when I have problems or potential problems that need solving. I also find that many of my learned lessons are "hard learned" and not just an accidental reading of a few Bible verses one day. As much as I would like to have an easy lesson, I know myself and the Lord knows me even better, so most of them come through these "storms" that Elizabeth describes above. I do try, and try, and try, to accept a "storm" that arrives in my life as a potential learning event, but sometimes these storms hit with such force that the mind is stunned for a while and during that time, there is danger. What satan means to cause harm, the Lord will use for our good, if we go to h Him as His children and ask for understanding and help. Reassuring us that He loves us, no matter what, giving us peace, comfort, and doing all that He said He would do for us. He wants us to come to Him and has given us His own righteousness through Jesus so we are able to do just that. We do have LEGAL standing to approach the throne and make requests. Not only that.....we have a mediator standing there who is a MAN and will plead our case! Did I forget to mention that this heavenly court procedure is already rigged in our favor? Your brother is the defense attorney, your Father is the judge, and the verdict is already written out in the New Covenant.

In Christ`s love,

Charlie
  • Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog and 2 others like this

#7 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

After reading Charlie's post part of a verse immediately just came to mind. e-Sword helped me to find the verse.

1Co_4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

Please pray for me to learn ....to learn.... to learn to.

O to be taught of the Lord in all the stuff that I can get into mental storms over... and for me to love and pray that  I may learn to not be afraid to trust that God is working on both sides of  situations where I can feel unrest.  I'd rather feel joy and begin with a smile about how the very folk that I need to reconcile with in my heart and mind.  God's  love is steeping (like a cup of tea) in my soul and I will trust in that.  Thank you Jesus... What a Savior...

Please excuse me for boiling over with words....

Sometimes it can be hard to not be hurt by words and to not react ... underneath I can be fearful and afraid to trust.

Even where pain  and fear reside where I'm not aware of the seeds my thoughts planted ... well  Praise God for His tender mercies and grace to not blot out a longing for reconciliation.  That verse about how blessed it is when brothers get along together... will do a search for it and give thanks for your posts that help generate a perspective to foster healing.

I can see that I have been blessed been blessed by the very people that can be or have been hurtful  .... what am I going to think on?  

Think I'll think on the post above and  1 Cor. Chapter 4. Pray, give thanks for each of you and some other folk too. 

Please LORD help us all and thank you for all the brothers and sisters who post and share.

Thank you all.

God bless.

In Christ's love

• Lori Smith and elizabethcog like this

#8 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

Ginger, God is steeping like a cup of tea in our soul......i like this thoughtfulness of mind=D makes me feel nice to consider this.
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#9 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

PRAISE REPORT....   LOVE moved the dark clouds away and the SON is shining.  PRAISE HIM!  The LORD has rearranged some emotional and mental elements bringing a breeze of gentle movements in my soul and letting communications be shared between 2 souls.  We came together and enjoying some healing virtue being poured on us and I also believe into us.  :)  Reckon it was like drinking cups of love steeped in God's love, served and poured by the Master Himself without our truly realizing that the Hands with nail prints were ministering in us ....  This is beyond my ability to explain....

Thank you all for your prayers, and for posting ....

In Christ's love