Photo

Spiritual disciplines. Everyone list theirs, ......please?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

Also, I am going to ask you to be as candid as you are comfortable (sharing one a public forum). Please note if each of these Spiritual disciplines are ones that you attend to EVERY SINGLE DAY without fail.

Here, I'll start:

Prayer: Daily...without fail.

Bible reading/study:  Not daily, but when I finally feel rotten enough because I KNOW that I should commune with God via the Scriptures...and then put earthly endeavours ahead of Bible study.  It happens far too often for me.

Witnessing: Rarely. When the opportunity presents itself, I will not hesistate tp share my faith and use the the titles: Jesus Christ, God the Father, etc...instead of ..."The Man Upstairs...or the Good Lord.....etc etc.

I have a confession to make.  Here at home, I dip skoal. Yes, I already know that my body is the Holy Spirit's temple....if, indeed, He dwells in me. I am trying to taper off. I find that BOREDOM is my biggest obstacle to quitting.  I have heard people say that God " delivered me for a spirit of tobacco"!!!! Well, that hasn't happened to me even after much pleading with God.

So, one of my Spiritual disciplines would be:

Keeping myself unpolluted from the world's offerings.

I also take an anti-depressant.  I fee somewaht condemned in my spirit, that a true man of God should be able to function in this world without being tethered to the world by it's medicines.  Medicines....or, in the greek..."the original Greek roots from "Pharmakos" imply sorcery or even poison"  (wikipedia)

So, fellwo Christians. About all I got going for me is faith. I KNOW that when I pray, God is hearing me. But "faith without works is dead".   The only thing in life that I want to be absoluitely POSITIVE OF, is that my name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life!!!!

Anyway....feel free to share with your fellow, cyber: brothers and sisters in Christ, your Spiritual Disciplines and how faithful you are to carrying them out. With love for each of you!!!!  (And I STRONGLY desire your prayers on my behalf. I want to be FULLY FREE and FULLY UNTETHERED to this wold. Paul said:.." ...the cross, through which I am crucified to the world AND the world is crucified to me".  Thanks in advance.

Note: when making this post, I had a fairly string concern that my family here may not think that I am as spiritual as I have been letting on. But....it was a concern that was trumped by the desire to be as candid as possible. Besides, I have quite yearning for the brags of men...the pats on the back....the Spiritual Pride which rears uo in me when people tell me how spiritual I am. (I'm not).  But confession is scriptural. "Confess your fualts one to another ...THAT YE MAY BE HEALED!!"  One ould conclude that inconfessed sin creates a breeding ground within one's-self fo all manner of sickness.....physical, or spiritual............or mental. Y'all have a great day. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME that God's Will will be done in my life and that Kevin Blankenship's will be dashed on the ragged rocks of Sinai.

• Lori Smith, chipped china and Ginger like this

#2 noah22x

noah22x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Brother, Jesus was tethered to this world, for a time. I struggle in a very similar way. I have to remind myself that this isn't about being smart enough to enter heaven, or spiritual enough. Job was perfect, Moses the most humble, Solomon the wisest ever, David after God's own heart. Satan at the court, and talking with GOD directly.

What chance do we have?

What process are we going to follow, without fail? I speak for myself here, when I say none. I have nothing, but to rely completely on Jesus Christ. What does that make a day in my life look like? Honestly, I grin a lot. I chuckle at my own obsurdity even more. I try. I fall asleep imagining what it would be like to see the look on my son's face when he's done here and first lays eyes on Jesus. I hope I see that on the other side of the veil. How he'd let go of my hand and reach to Him. That always makes me go through a list of other people I know. Seeing that look on their faces. My wife, my mother, that guy that flipped me off for being where he wanted to be. It doesn't matter. On and on.

I admire your depth of hunger immensely. But don't forget the joy brother.

With love and respect, hope this helps, and if it doesn't, remember to forgive me.

Smiling,

Noah

• Julie Daube, Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship and 1 other like this

#3 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for sharing about your struggles, Kevin. I admire your wililngness to be transparent and vulnerable with your brothers and sisters in Christ. I'd like to encourage you with the following Scripture: "There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8).

There are two spiritual disciplines I practice that have been life-changing for me. One of them is to continually focus on who I am in Christ. I, too, have often struggled with feeling condemned, but since I've been meditating on my identity in Jesus, I have found victory in this area. Go to any search engine and type the words "who i am in christ," and you will find tons of Scripture about our identity in Jesus. I recommend speaking them out loud so these truths will really sink in. "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17

Recently, I discovered another spiritual discipline that has made a huge difference in my life: I begin each day by speaking the Word of God over my life, my family and all that pertains to me. Also, whenever I have a need, I declare what God's Word says about how He will provide for that need. This is something that may help you in some of your struggles.

I pray that God's will be done and His Kingdom come in your life, today and always.     

• Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship, chipped china and 1 other like this

#4 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

Greetings Brother,

The more I get to know Jesus, the more I've learned that I don't have to measure up in some way. I just can't! I've tried to be perfect, and I fail every time. I'm glad Jesus did all of the measuring up for me. So, my disciplines are about staying in touch with Him. I read my Bible in the A.M. after I check my emails. I check my emails first because I don't wake up in a good mood--I never have. So, I have to disentangle myself from my morning ugliness before I talk to God. Then I open my Bible and I read until He stops me. I don't have a reading plan. I generally stay in the Gospels because that is where Jesus is and I want to focus on Him. I open to a place that comes to my mind and I read until I come to a place where I can't go forward. I get to a stuck place and I meditate on what God wants to show me. Then, I rest in Him while He brings bits of revelation to me about my life, where I am, and where I need to be.

However, I've also learned that I can't have these moments with God if I've come under some legalistic teaching. For instance, if I go to a legalistic church, they distort my perception of God by claiming that He has all sorts of oughts against me. When I rely upon God to teach me that doesn't happen. He shows me what needs to change, but He never does it in a condemning way, nor does He tell me to do something I can't do. Instead, He shows me new pieces of wisdom that change how I perceive a situation. Then I can change how I act because I see things through His eyes.

My goal to sharing Jesus with people is for them to know His love for them. When I go to the nursing home, I tell the people they matter to God--that they haven't been forgotten. I believe that is the message He has given me for people. He is quite passionate about each and every person, and He will move mountains to draw them to Himself without coercing them. For example, look at the cross. The cross shows how important we are to Him, for that is how far He was willing to go to win them.

God loves us. Blessings to you Brother; thanks for starting the conversation! You are a blessing.

• Kevin Blankenship, chipped china and Ginger like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#5 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi brother!
First, if we really "list" all our disciplines, we can cause stumbling, be self-righteous, and get hung up on legalism.
I read the bible every day! Oh, yeah, I forgot to read this morning cause the hybrid wolf down the road was here again terrorizing the cats, so I had to get the wolf off my property (sweet wolf, but loves to engage the cats). Then hubby wants me to go to town. So, tonight, I will literally lock myself away and read the remaining chapters Amos for ladies study tomorrow. Last night, I read bible for two hours in a study "beloved disciple" by Beth Moore but I am thinking while reading the work boo that I think I am done with Beth Moore. Great thoughts to have while spending time in the word. Not that I don't like her. I have moved on somewhere else and not sure where The Lord will lead. But, after about a dozen Beth Moore studies, I know I need a new word from The Lord.

So, will I actually finish the last three chapters of Amos in preparation for 9 am bible study? I will if my son does not need me to engage with him or if my husband does not ask me to make the oatmeal cookies I was going to make on Sunday til I discovered that squirrels (???) ate half of the chocolate chips I was going to put in them! So, need to buy more chic chips today and find another hiding place cause they always manage to locate them.

That rambling above has a point to it. Isn't this typical in some of our lives?
Unfailing? No. Many days are spent in the word first thing in the morning after getting the guys off well fed and organize. Prayer is best spent right off before my feet hit the floor in thanks. But, as Julie said, I am now spending time reading identification verses on some days which I would like to be daily as she recommends. It is important!! Unfailing prayer? No. Often times in the car. I have been praying hard for an undivided heart because that means being unlinked by my hubby and son. That does not feel like a good wife or mother. But I must do all things in prayer and the word when they are gone.

Great advice in the replies of others here. Disciplines? It must be defined in God's terms with each of us and our lives. I believe we do what we want. I think I need a new country where I see suffering and acute and constant need

Last night I wAs reading the word. My son comes in and tells me he wants revenge on a kid who is bothering him at school and maybe he needs counseling so he won't make a bad decision. I gently asked if he wanted to tell me details. He said no. Then, he says he doesn't know how anyone can believe in God. I gently tell him what Romans 1 says. He says it makes no sense. I tell him he can always ask Jesus to show him if he really wants to be shown. No. Ok

So, again do I digress? No. It is life. What do I do? Tell him I am busy? Is this serving The Lord by allowing my son to interrupt my study of his word? I believe we all have these distractions. I cannot wait to get off this ball of spinning mud. I would kill myself but would not be able to repent of that.

I am praying for you daily and pretty much unfailing I dare say. Now something will happen to disrupt that!

Kevin, maybe read Simpson's devotional for today. There is enough grace in that yo get me through

As far as chewing - don't know

Antidepressants? Don't know except that we must ask if our brains can be sick like everything else and only God knows. Seek His confidence in those matters. You know

Blessings
Candice

#6 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Someone once said, and I believe it's so true . . . "You're only as close to God as you want to be." 

As a disclaimer, before I start, I am not composing this article to condemn or judge anyone, but rather, this article merely reflects my personal experience in the times in which we live. 

I spend quite a bit of time in solitude mainly because I don't like what is out in the world. I attend Church regularly and am a member of the Church which I attend. I also am involved in adult small group Bible studies but don't feel as though I am being fed through either of those mediums. I feel as though most of what I hear in the messages at Church, in times of Christian fellowship, and in Bible studies is becoming watered down and sugar-coated to appeal to itching ears. 

Having said that, I personally feel and sense God's presence the most when I get away to a quiet place alone with God, and prayerfully read His word. It has to be a time when I am wide awake. During such times, God speaks to me through His word and reveals His will for my life and guides me on the narrow and strait path which leads to life. His presence in my life brings joy and unspeakable peace as well as adoration for my Lord and Savior.

I'm not alone in my thoughts and feelings. Below are a few quotes from spiritual leaders which reflect my current view pertaining to my previous comments about no longer feeling as though I am being fed spiritually in the Church.

Much that passes for New Testament Christianity is little more than objective truth sweetened with song and made palatable by religious entertainment. (A W Tozer)

Right now we are in an age of religious complexity. This simplicity which is in Christ is rarely found among us. In it’s stead are programs, methods, organizations and a world of nervous activities which occupy time and attention but can never satisfy the longing heart. - A.W. Tozer

Our churches no longer have the power of God to attract the people. They go down to Egypt, borrow its music, its dancing, it's entertainment, hoping for a crowd! No passion for souls - just crowds! Church growth at any cost! Look at the average church bulletin; it looks like a theater calendar. - (Dave Wilkerson – Times Square Pulpit Series – The Great Apostasy – May 7, 1986)

The reason most preaching is ignored today is that it deserves to be." - Alistair Begg

The religion of many today is based on nothing more than their own self interests; what helps them, benefits them, contributes to their own well being. Such is not the religion of Jesus Christ  (William C. Nichols)

Shalom and Blessings

#7 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

About all I can think of to say this minute is this: I love all of y'all.  Thank you for participating in my little....query?  It was for my benefit (as usual.....lol) to see if I was being a good Christian and if the things I mentioned tarnished my walk. But one can tell by my language that I am still a VERY selfish person. I mean....I JUST read what I have written so far, in this post, and I can see that my focus is too much on myself....my struggles. I seriously believe, and several of you touched on this, that if and when my (or anyone's) focus becomes being a disciple of Christ (DEFINITELY not the denomination), and living my life in love with the One Who experienced GREAT and TERRIFIC AGONY for you and me, then I will decrease.....and HE will increase. I think, I really believe, that THAT is the correct order of things. John the Baptist said it first, But we, too, can assert that same phrase  (the 'I decrease and HE increase' phrase).

See, my mind is all jumbled up sometimes.  But I have come to the stark realization that if God does not affect a change in me, then it will NEVER happen. I am not talking about merely quitting this and quitting that....but rather.....changning the entire entity that is called 'me'.  The "me" was crucified with Christ 2000 and some-odd years ago. Now....THAT is the TRUTH.  The Last Adam has made a way that I can be reconciled to God...and THAT!!!...was God's own idea...not mine....not anyone else's. But the first Adam disobeyed God, and therefore, the curses that befell him, and the separation from God that befell him, has also befell us...who are Adam's offspring.  The Devil, that old serpent, had a hand in that, and clapped his gnarly hands gleefully when Eve, then Adam, took a chomp off of that fig, or pear, or apple, or mango, or whatever it was. Disobedience.  But then, even in those ancient days, our GREAT GOD..Who is full of compassion, and slow to anger, initiated an series of events that would transpire over several millenia and would result in our (the human race) having a 'WAY back' to the Father (if we place our faith in Jesus Christ, as Messiah, soon coming King, Baptizer in the Holy Spirit,  etc etc).  Paul the Apostle said: "Be reconciled to God!!!!!!" I personally think that it was a blanket statement, written to the entire human race, breathed by the Holy Spirit. Paul may have penned it...but the Holy Spirit told him to. Because the plan of redemption.....is ALL God's idea.  Why am I harping on the fact that it is/was/always will be.....God's idea?? Because THAT is a perspective changer.  It is an accurate view of how God looks at us, as humans.  He paid a horribly terrible price.....that WE can be reconciled to Himself. HE WANTS IT!!!!!  HE WANTS US! HE WANTS ME! HE WANTS YOU!!!  So....I'll happily respond to Him.....God.....I WANT YOU, TOO!!! My life is not worth living without YOU. True, I have my issues, and baggage. But that DOES NOT take away from the fact that I WANT YOU. And I rather like it that YOU want me.

People......I'm sorry. This has nothing to do with my original post. But I needed to say it. If I'm going to be "transparent" as some have called me (and i like it)....then I may as well go whole hog and let ya know what runs through my mind all day.  Well, that...and the fact that Archery Deer season opens Saturday morning. I will have my Kindle E reader with me in my ground blind. I could not care less if I bag a deer or not.  But I love to read in the woods. And brothers and sisters.....PLEASE...I BEG YOU.....Pray for me.  I DO NOT want to miss this. For anything in the world.

• chipped china, Kenny and Ginger like this

#8 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

Discipline.... reckon the LORD KNOWS each of us and loves each of us perfectly.  Each day all I can see with my human sight is so limited and tends toward opinionizing as I came to call it.    Each morning God grants me breath and knows all about all and my opinionizing begins and God lets me be all right with Him and little by little things just are.... most folk have folks to be with and things with an for  or jobs or whatever ....So those of us who can mosey from thought to thought can become amazed with the tender mercies that are so perfectly tailored to the situation and the person at hand.  Sometimes I just  think of Jesus interacting with Mary, with Martha, with Mary His Momma... With Peter, Thomas, and marvel ... then there's Phillip and Nathaniel... And then I'm sort of transported into a wonder of it all. O and my mind wanders all over the place and becomes distracted with what's wrong with me and what I fail to do or not do.  Little by little it just gets where whatever it is doesn't matter so much.  Perhaps being old has some perks too.  What you each write, what teachings I listen to ... a bit of food, rest, and just accepting that Only God can change me from the inside out.  To be grateful for being allowed to exist just as I am moment by moment.  thought by thought... and to think of Jesus smiling... just sort of seeing a brief view of Him looking, standing ... was it by a door... doesn't matter now but that Jesus smiled at me, at us and it's all gonna be alright.... Because He LIves... He Lives.... He LIves.... Christ Jesus lives in me.... He walks with me... He talks with me.... along life's narrow way.... O Praise you Lord... thank you for each of these dear folk... thank you for their hearts and for sharing their thoughts... Thank each of you!!!!

Kevin, before I signed up you post let me know I was in good company.... thank you my brother for being you and I praise our Lord for being baptized in water and Spirit ... So it don't matter what I have to say so long as I remember Christ in me.  Thank you for giving me a place to come, to be, and to share with Him and you  communing from our hearts and souls.  God bless. God be Praised.  Thanks to God for each of you, and that we are HIs workmanship and the sheep of His pasture... Reckon He picks each of us up and carries us as needed.... and gives us still water ... may we give as He gives and find rest in Him ... we are family... we are HIs.  Reckon He can makes sense of us  and gives sense to us even when we can't make sense about all the stuff...

Shalom,

Ginger

• Lori Smith, elizabethcog, Charles Miles and 2 others like this

#9 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

That was good Ginger, I too reckon Jesus can make sense out of us even if we can't make sense about all the stuff. We can always rest in Him. love to you all, betsy

• Lori Smith likes this

#10 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

Just got this on my mind this early early morn. Here I am....up at 3:30 am. May as well talk to the Body of Christ this morning while my brain is fresh, and my defences are down, and I can just say what I REALLY mean without all the window dressing:

"Disciplines". It is a word that definitely is NOT in vogue today in Christ's Church (if watching TBN is any indication of what is going on is Christ's Church....which I think one can get merely a partial picture but It's all I got).

But it seems that the preachers of today are trying really hard to paint Christianity up as being "You can still have you laughter,(via Christian Comedians and Jesse Duplantis. You can still have the same kind of music (but with Upliftingly spiritual lyrics). You can still dress like the world: after all....'we are FREE!'. (Clothes that would make member's of Christ Church blush a mere two generations ago).

In short. In my area. And on my Facebook page....and I have several Pastors who are 'Friended' on my Facebook page....you get a Monday morning report that sounds like this: We had 257 in church in the FIRST SERVICE!!!! We had four 'come forward' to 'receive Christ',  three baptisms,  and one Baptism in the Holy Spirit.  We are a Church on the move. Praise God!!!"

But today, let us not say the word DISCIPLINE...lest we scare people off. After all, Christianity (today's model) is a feel good, health and wealth and happiness type of affair.

And America continues to go straight to hell around us. While in our micro-cosms, we are accepting the mundane (not that someone getting truly converted is mundane...not at all). When I go to Wal Mart (in our small town you bump into everyone at Wal Mart....twice or even thrice....IN A DAY!..lol) you cannot tell the redeemed from the unredeemed. Now...I cannot set here and say...."Accept me, of course".  Now...how prideful would that be? And arrogant?  But I will say this:  As I head from the parking lot into this mega-store....the Holy Spirit (I strongly assume) instantly reminds me that I am a representative of Christ. In a flash,  I realize who I am IN CHRIST.  A smile, and a joy, steals over my heart.  And by the time I am walking the aisles, (headed for the Sports/ Hunting/ Fishing section no doubt....and the yogurt section.......well.....the 'whatever I need' section....I am just daring (in my heart) for someone to ask me why I am in such a good mood. (I suppose that this has something to do with our blessed Eternal Life and the joyous hope that we Christians possess. The price of gasoline can go to 5 bucks a gallon. We are STILL heaven bound. We are STILL admonished to be content with food and clothing (by Paul the Apostle).  The stock market can crash. The gubment can shut down. But we are of a different ......GUBMENT. (I know...Government).  Jesus said, continues to say: In this world, you will have trouble....but I (Jesus) have overcome the world.

And Jesus promised/promises a Comforter...the Holy Spirit. So, true, we Christian have ALOT to be joyful about.  So we let our lights shine. We let our pearly whites gleem in a world of dark chaos where many a furrowed brow on worried faces passes us by. They will soon wonder...."why is that person not worried sick like the rest of us?" "Why is he/she walking through Wal Mart, whistling, singing?" (yes, I sing and don't care who looks at me like I'm a nut job).

Back to 'disciplines'. It used to be a good and needful word. Paul said: "I beat my body...et cetera"  Paul also discoursed (with one of the leaders, who was questioning him) about self control. 

Praying and Bible reading and witnessing ARE disciplines. But, like many, I have always associated 'discipline' with gettin a whoopin for being a bad little boy.  But nowadays, I associate it with engaging in ANY exercise which the flesh doesn't get some benefit from.....only the spirit.  So, in light of that, shouldn't we EMBRACE spiritual disciplines?  Joy is the fortunate, but unsought for, result. Our goal is: "Until Christ be formed in us".    Okay, I'm through for now. lol  

• Lori Smith and Charles Miles like this

#11 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Discipline and antidepressants...hmm....I have been told that I was misdiagnosed when I was in the Navy and now have Bipolar 1 with PTSD from my military time..do I claim this? No, do I ignore this and stand on faith alone? no....faith without works is dead.  Things started going south for me in 2009..went to the VA and it took three years to get the right mix of antidepressants to balance out the chemistry in my mind..my ups and downs are not as severe as they used to be...Since the antidepressants are not narcotic, I view them just as I view my heartburn medicine or blood pressure pills. Luke was a doctor. I believe God heals, and sometimes uses doctors to do it. Counseling. The VA wanted me to be counseled along with taking my medicines, but their counsel was based on world views instead of God's. So I went to my preacher with my shredded mind. He wasn't sure about bipolar as he thought it more of a sin issue, but told me to continue taking my meds. I can say now after 3 years my mind is the mind of Christ. Godly counsel worked where worldly techniques didn't. I am still taking my meds. During the 3 years of struggling to get my mind back I was unable to work. So I applied to the VA and Social Security for disability and was rated 100 percent. Do I feel disabled? no, but during this time God rearranged my entire life. God has blessed the church to be supported by a tithe. He has also blessed that the homeless mission is completely funded. I am now in full time ministry where otherwise I would have been working a secular job. I am 58 years old and it would have been tough to find a job, but trusted God that this was the path he wanted me to go. When I got the money, which also included my retirement from 20 years in the Navy, it was more money than I had seen in my life. I got really anxious. I told my preacher I felt like I was not disabled anymore and I was taking money I should not be taking. I also told him that i was really afraid being a steward of such a large sum on money coming in monthly. He told me that God would not have allowed it if He could not trust me with the stewardship. He also told me that anything that the Government offers take it and sow it back into the Kingdom of light, He said the Government will be out of money one day and not to focus on the government because God was my source. Felt better as it made sense. Then comes the accident with our preacher and funding drys up as people leave to go to other ministries. That's okay because God provided a way that we could stay in ministry with what I had been entrusted. So now we come to discipline.

Daily Discipline...during the three years of searching, have developed the following disciplines. Eyes open, sometimes 3am to 5 am, Thank God for another day, praise Him for who He is and what He has done. Put on the armor of God as it says in Ephesians. Meditate and pray in God's presence. Sometimes praise and worship music, all night if feeling stressed,very low in the bedroom. Bible opened beside my bed stand. Drift of to sleep for and hour or two. Wake up around 7 or 8 and read the daily verse on my bible app on my smartphone. Then I read via the e Sword a chapter of the new testament with commentaries and then read out loud progressive Psalms...the next day I read a chapter in the old testament, with the commentaries and a chapter of proverbs. When I have read all the Psalms and all the Proverbs, I start all over again. I have now read the entire Bible twice in 3 years and I do not know how many times I have went through Psalms and Proverbs. I write down each day what chapters I read so as to know where to start the next day (short term memory!)....I then read the five devotionals on the e sword, read Stedman's devotional, The Bridge devotional by Pastor David Mcgee, and Tozer's devotional. Check the forums when I have time (which I haven't had too much lately.) During these times of study I pray as led by the Spirit. After reading these things I pray and ask God prayers for myself first, such as forgive my sins and give me a pure heart and clean hands so that my prayers will not be hindered. I then pray for my family, my fellowship and ministry, other Christians around the world, the sick, the homeless, the ones running from God that they would run right into him, pray for those that have no one praying for them, Pray for those in jails and other things along this line as the Spirit leads. I pray for our President, leaders and nation, our troops, and the peace of Jerusalem and any other matter that the Spirit leads. I then ask God what word he wants preached when I go to the Father's table feeding ministry at our home fellowship where we feed the souls in the projects and minister to them. We also give them clothes, shoes and furniture from our storehouse and receive donations from kind people who bring these things to us for the poor. I then get in the car and travel to the next town over and at noon preach out of the Word whatever chapter God lays on my heart. we always give a prayer for salvation and re dedication and any other needs those in the community have. While I am driving there I play praise and worship music and get really get loud for the half hour trip. I then pick up the food to head back to the southside of my hometown for our Homeless mission to feed the people coming in there. We have much prayer, and listen, listen, listen as these homeless sometimes get their only meal or human contact for that day during the 4-6pm time frame that we are there Monday thru Friday. I then go to Wednesday service at 7pm at my home fellowship and Thursday I go to another town north of where I live to Pastor McGee's church The Bridge, for praise and worship and chapter bible study. Things start at seven and go to around 10:30pm. I then go home and catch up on facebook, and do  a little news reading with a Christian perpective, and from time to time do a personal study at some of the bible teaching sites I have bookmarked. I then have my evening prayer for protection and review the day for repentance for the glory of God.....Saturday are the prayer/study is the same but that is the day I get caught up on my chores such as housecleaning, running for groceries, washing clothes, cleaning the cars etc...Sundays the same prayer/study before morning worship, and then after church watch a Nascar race or a NFL football game..then more reading interesting internet bible studies or youtube teachings, no Sunday services that I can find that are truly word based, evening prayer and bed. That pretty much covers the disciplines for me. I am so happy and blessed that I now have the time to do these things and it is without a doubt the best work I have ever had in my life. THANK YOU JESUS!

PS  I do take days off to visit family and take care of business such as doctor's appointments and other things I can't do on the weekend. I call ahead and get another brother or sister to fill in on the ministry duties I cannot do for that specific time.

Home this helps, I learned a lot of this stuff from my preacher when I asked him for a blueprint of how he spends his day.

Shalom,

radar 

• Kevin Blankenship likes this

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#12 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

BTW, the above is a template. I don't do it that way everyday and do not want to appear legalistic. The Spirit is who directs, and some days just like today He changes the order of some of the things that I do.  Feel a bit guilty for laying all that stuff out there, but i am pretty impulsive and just wanted to fellowship and relate.

Shalom,

Radar

• Kevin Blankenship likes this

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#13 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

Radar....that is a great template. I might borrow it...or a variation thereof, if'n you don't mind!!! I think it;s awesome. Troublesome days lie ahead. I will need all the fortification, spiritually speaking, that I can get. Thank you so much for the reply.

• radar likes this