• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Does the LORD Jesus and the Father, maybe His Spirit too, have a sense of humor?

Does God laugh?

Does He think anything is funny as we see it as funny?

You know, Jews have a particular sense of humor - sarcasm, irony and cynical all wrapped into one subtle line. Difficult to describe. But there's an inner joy in it as well IMO. I've heard it many times and laughed a great deal since it seems to hit that "funny bone". I think of Billy Crystal (not really the best example). It is natural, for me anyway, to wonder about this since we are made in His image. I've heard of rabbis who have wonderfully humorous personalities.

I think of this verse which seems to have humor (the humor seems to be there to me even in the Kings James version):

"He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me. "For a woman whose young daughter had an unclean spirit heard about Him (Jesus), and she came and fell at His feet. The woman was a Greek, a Syro-Phoenician by birth (a Gentile or non-Israelite), and she kept asking Him to cast the demon out of her daughter.

"But Jesus said to her, 'Let the children be filled first, for it is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.'

"And she answered and said to Him, 'Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs under the table eat from the children’s crumbs.'

"Then He said to her, 'For this saying go your way; the demon has gone out of your daughter.'" (Mark 7:25-29)

I realize that we don't have the entire scenarios here. But, in Mark 7:25-29, do you believe Jesus laughed as he said this last verse (v. 29)?

Can you think of other verses and why you believe Jesus was using humor?

Do you have personal experiences with this humor?

My thinking (fleshly at times, but definitely truly seeking spiritually) seems to question why the LORD would create such ugly creatures as cockroaches. I'm not particularly fond of monkeys either (just personal). He must have used humor in some creation. Was he playing in creating some animals and plants? Or, are we so far fallen that we just see it all through grey glasses?

Blessings,
Candice
  • Kevin Blankenship and radar like this

#2 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

If I may opine: YES. Why?....maybe someone asks. Well, we are made in the image of God. And mirth, and humor, and laughter, are part of our make up. Hollywood has exploited this basic emotion. As it has other good and natural things about us.
I had some more written here, but after sleeping on it for a few hours, felt that it was not needed tp answer the question.
  • Julie Daube and radar like this

#3 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

I think the expression the Lord spoke-"You strain out a gnat and swallow a camel" should be said in a hyperbolic (humorous) Jewish way (Mt 23:24). ;)
The relationship I have with God reveals to me One who is very humorous. He says things to me all of the time that I think are funny.
  • Julie Daube and radar like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#4 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Good example, Lori! The following verse has also struck me as humorous hyberbole: “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?" (Matthew 7:3) I can picture Jesus' audience chuckling at the image.

One of my favorite sounds in all of creation is the sound of laughing children. Kids just seem to love to giggle, and I have even seen babies laugh uproariously. It is clear that from the time we are very young, God created us with the inclination to laugh - to respond to humorous things and situations. It logically follows that God Himself has a sense of humor, since we are created in His image.

On a related note, I have often read that laughter has a number of health benefits, including a decrease in stress levels and lowering of blood pressure. The Bible itself clearly shows that there is a relationship between good health and having a sense of humor, "A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones." (Proverbs 17:22)
  • Lori Smith and Charles Miles like this