• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joan Piper

Joan Piper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

It was 50 years ago that God began to open up to us the truth of Phil.2.13 from a writing of Andrew Murray entitled "Abide in Jesus." We praised Him for knowing the filling of His Holy Spirit but He brought us back again and again to this truth. It took the striving and stress of our Christian walk as He reminded us that:-
- We were just a branch and merely had to let the sap flow up through us and fruit would be produced.
- Father had made a complete provision for us through Jesus' death and resurrection.
- He wanted us to walk in that relationship with Him and He by His Spirit would accomplish what was on His heart.
- There were no more 'ought to' or 'should do' but such a rest but He was at work by His Spirit.
- He waters His garden 'moment by moment' Isaiah 27:3

I am now 76 but

'It is grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.'
  • Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog and 1 other like this

#2 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

Joan,

Thank you for posting this. Legalism is a trap I often fall into, and you present the antidote. Indeed, it is all about God ... His mercy, His grace, His righteousness, and His love flowing through us when we abide in Him. I especially love your reference to Isa 27:3; what a wonderful Scripture.

Shalom,
Lori
  • Kevin Blankenship and radar like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#3 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Welcome Joan!!!! Yes, I love Andrew Murray and have Abide in Christ along with several others of that often overlooked awesome classic Christian author!!!!!! Be blessed!!! Kevin

#4 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

It was 50 years ago that God began to open up to us the truth of Phil.2.13 from a writing of Andrew Murray entitled "Abide in Jesus." We praised Him for knowing the filling of His Holy Spirit but He brought us back again and again to this truth. It took the striving and stress of our Christian walk as He reminded us that:-
- We were just a branch and merely had to let the sap flow up through us and fruit would be produced.
- Father had made a complete provision for us through Jesus' death and resurrection.
- He wanted us to walk in that relationship with Him and He by His Spirit would accomplish what was on His heart.
- There were no more 'ought to' or 'should do' but such a rest but He was at work by His Spirit.
- He waters His garden 'moment by moment' Isaiah 27:3

I am now 76 but

'It is grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.'

Thanks for posting this Joan. I wanted to highlight some of your text to make the point this was probably a long and ongoing process in your walk with the Lord. I am sure there was a lot of letting go of thoughts that were opposed to what God wanted to teach you, and that it was difficult at times. I think the underlying issue is, we can read a lot of things, but it is not until we are made to go through the refining process, that we really learn them. It would be great if you had some additional insights on this.

John
  • Lori Smith likes this