Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have just completed reading the Book of Job. I have prayed for understanding as I read. I suppose that I have gleaned a few things for that book. I really couldn't understand the attitude of Job's friend's. I thought that they would be sympathetic. Maybe it has something to do with the custom of the Middle East region. Here's why I sat that:
I was watching an episode of PBS's FRONTLINE yesterday at around 11 am entitled "Syria...etc etc" I forgot the rest of the title, but if you can watch it (online maybe) PLEASE DO. A PBS cameraman goes in and is granted permission by the Rebels who are trying to oust the present administration. This show made me want to send a donation, write my congressman about sending the Rebels help, or something.
But back to Job, and his friends attitudes, and my point: The Regime's jet plane (suppied by iran and/or Russia) came over while the camera man was in one of the villages. The jet dropped a bomb on a civilians home and it flattened it. Concrete and steel rebar is shown everywhere. Bodies. Very graphic. They were pulling survivors out, along with the dead. A teenage boy was weeping and sobbing: "My grandpa and uncle are in there!!! They are dead!! Please help them. All the while trying to find someone to console him" The leader of the village (and one of the Rebels who were attacked, and a friend....not a foe....of the teenage boy said: "Get this boy away from me! get him away!!! Make him shut up!!! And one of the guys next to the man...another full grown man, socks the boy hard in the face and knocks him down!!! Ruthlessly!!! But the boy, now bleeding from his face is still screaming and crying for his Grandpa and Uncle who were killed minutes ago by the bomb. I could have went through the TV and throttled the man who hit that boy until he had almost quit breathing. Then, let him revive, and beat him to a pulp. And then, pull him to his feet and make him get on his knees, and apologize to that boy. Same treatment for the man who ordered that "Someone shut this boy up".
I mean...they were neighbors...fellow villagers....and yet heartless and cruel to the grieving boy. The boy had nowhere to turn. His sobs and horrific grief, and possible shell shockedness where met with coldness and seeming unconcern. I STLL find myself on the side of the rebels as the bombings were senseless murders on civilians. The rebels were NOT using the civilians as human shields. At least not in this expose. (Evidently this episode was watched in America by many, because, yesterday, the US administration (since learning that the Regime has used chemical warfare) has decided (finally) to help the rebels with military (not ground troops) and humanitarian aid. While I am on the subject, I was impressed at the dedication to these Sunni Muslims are to their false god. As the citizenry, even the children, where shouting "Great is Allah". Oh....if but God would give me that degree of dedication to and for Jesus!!!
But watching that episode, coupled with the fact that I was struggling to understand why Job;'s three friends, and even Elihu, who comes along when the three friends finally shut up, are not at all sympathetic with Job's plight. At the beginning of the book, God Himself says: "8 Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.” And then goes on to allow satan to wreak havoc on Job's life after satan tempts God (it seems!!!!) and says:
9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. 10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.” I just cannot understand alot of what is said in this book. I tried reading along with a King James (by far, the hardest to understand, and NOT because of the Thee's and Thou's), the NIV, and the latest new Version which is supposed to be the closest to the original: The International Standard Version. If anyone can tell me a good commentary on Job, I will buy it at once. I already have Matthew Henry's full volume. I can barely understand what he is saying, If I had been living in Elizabethan England, perhaps it would be clearer. Any help on a good commentary is appreciated.

#2 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Any help on a good commentary is appreciated.

An EasyEnglish Commentary on the Book of Job can be read on-line at the following web-site

http://www.easyengli...ary/job-lbw.htm
  • Kevin Blankenship likes this

#3 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Kevin,

I wrote a paper based on Job once. It was one of my favorite studies. I have two commentaries:

Alden, Robert L. Job: An Exegetical and Theological Exposition of Holy Scripture., The New American Commentary.
Nashville: B and H Publishing, 1993.

Andersen, Francis I. Job, Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 1976.
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#4 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

Hi Kevin,

I don't have a specific commentary, but Chuck Missler might be a good place to start. In this story, I tend to focus on the fact that Satan and his minion were on earth and in his complete evil stupidity somehow believed he could make Job reject God. God always knew and knows that man (through Christ's salvation) will win over Satan. So, the friends of Job are just like the fleshly people we all are here. I've been less than compassionate and unmerciful at times in my flesh. I suppose there's nothing new under the sun?! So, the LORD always defeats Satan.

As far as the situation in Syria and a vast part of the Middle East, remember that these are Muslims (mostly). LOVE is not a concept within Islam. Mercy is only randomly given by Allah and love is considered a weakness by Islamic devotees. I've done extensive research on Islam and collaborated with experts, including former Muslims now Christians. This is just a common occurrence. There will be increased lawlessness in the end and this will happen here too eventually, sadly, but true. But, I know there are believers there in Syria who are making a difference for Christ in Muslim countries.

Good read (not on Job): "Captive in Iran" by M Rostampour and M. Amirizadeh. There is hope. No focusing on the fleshly idiots, but on the Lord's ultimate and final victory!

Love, Candice
  • Julie Daube, Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#5 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

Kevin,
James MacDonald has a more easy-to-read commentary book of the entire bible. Matthew Henry is so wordy - one verse is usually longer than an entire book! :)

#6 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Yes, I have noticed that about Matthew Henry. I really do not see how he finds so much to say about the small portions of scripture that he comments on. And the version that I've got is the old English version making it all the more difficult. I want to thank each and every one of you for all of your replies!!! I will get started looking them up. I have become fixated on the Book of Job. Get this: the Commentary that I downloaded into my Kindle (by a Messianic Jew...forgot the name) states that the first two chapters and the last chapter are fables!!!!!! And all of the stuff in between is a poem. He says much more......but the "fable" part stopped me in my tracks. I thought that ALL scripture was God breathed and this commentator even stated that James (in the Book of James) who talks of Job's patience (I thin I got this right) failed to realize that the chapters 1,2, and the last chapter, are but fables. So the commentator even cast doubt on the divine inspiration of a New Testament book. His book can be found on Amazon. It is the only commentary on Job that can be uploaded to a Kindle reader.

#7 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Candace, i sould have spent more time talking with you about Syria, but I had to get to Wal Mart while there was not a large crowd (I don't like crowds. has anyone noticed..lol)
But thank you for the insight on the Muslim situation. I would MUCH like to read that book you were talking about on Syria and will see, first, if it is downloadable to Kindle (so that I can have it quick) or if not, I will order it. My interests, and concern for Christians suffering on foreign soil, is growing as I watch PBS (World). I like their documentaries, even though their documentaries don't have a Christian slant. I just cannot trust anything that I see on Trinity Broadcasting anymore......except a precious few preachers who still pay for their slot on there.

#8 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Kevin, Candice is absolutely right about the situation in Syria. It's also important to note that the Syrian rebels are part of the Muslim Brotherhood, which makes them VERY dangerous. As far as helping them, our government is already doing so by sending them weapons, which is a huge mistake. The rebels are vicious and bloodthirsty and show their enemies no mercy. The following article from CNN is very enlightening in this regard:

http://www.cnn.com/2...-war/index.html

Also, an article in the Jewish Press condemns the U.S. move to arm the Syrian rebels, saying, "The weapons will be given to people whose politics encompass hatred for Jews, Christians, the West generally, and women."

See http://www.jewishpre...y/2013/06/17/0/

Please forgive me for hijacking your post. I just felt I had to say something. More than anything else, the people of Syria need Jesus. They do not need us to arm the Muslim Brotherhood or to interfere in this conflict in any way. But they do need us to pray. Let's pray that God will intervene in this situation and pour out His Spirit upon the people of Syria so that they will embrace the gospel. Also, we need to pray that the rebels will repent and turn to Jesus for salvation. Many Muslims (including former terrorists) have come to Christ through dreams and visions of Him. Let's pray that God will send dreams and visions of Jesus to the rebels and all members of the Muslim Brotherhood!
  • Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#9 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Julie,

I agree we shouldn't arm the rebels. I also agree we should pray for them to come to know Jesus! He's what this world desperately needs.

Shalom,
Lori
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#10 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

#11 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

From what I gather, as far as Muslims go, there are the Shiites and the Sunnis and it is said (by Chuck Missler) that they hate each other worse than they hate the west, Something to do with their Prophet Mohammed. Now I don't know what the deal is in Syria, but I have just been reading the latest news (from the Jerusalem Post and other sources) and The Israelites say that they don't really have a preference over either the president's regime, or the rebel faction. And that Israel will not really benefit either way. That is what I have read so far.
Anyway, the point of my post was the Book of Job and the coldness (and even cruelty) of his three friends, which God later rebukes them for and has Job pray for them.
The only thing that I know about Syria is what I have read (since y'all started posting about it) and Frontline, which I watched the other day. I only used them as an example as I wondered if Job's three friends were being cold and callused because it's a "middle-east thing" or was this just an isolated incident, unique to the book of Job. Anyway, I have acquired a couple of good online commentarties on it, thanks to ya'll. I think i'll skip on over the Koinonia House and see what they say abut the Syria. I'd be interested to hear Missler's views as he seems to 'know his stuff' when it comes to current events and how they relate to us, as Christians.

#12 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

I have been reading yet ther news where the Security forces (NOT the rebels) were firing upon a a funeral procession. One parliament member stepped down saying that he could not be part of a regime that killed it''s on people. We all must be watching different news. If I had a bully shooting at me, (in a war-type situation) I would want something other than rocks to throw back at them!!!!!! I see that the dividing line between 'arming rebels' and 'not arming rebels' is very gray. More later. As far as hijacking the thread, that is quite okay as far as I'm concerned. These current events effect us all. I am going now to the website World Net Daily. They seem to have an unbiased view of things. Let's see what they say.
CNN is one of the news icons that help put Obama (who claims in his own biography to be a Muslim) in office. I don't usually listen top them. If I watch any television news, it ix Fox News. I know that THEY are biased too, but at least they lean in the same direction as me. But what we REALLY need, is a completely unbiased news company. They say that World Net Daily is just that. Me? I haven't a clue. I can only read it and hope that what all of these people are reporting is the truth. But unless I step foot on Syrian soil and make a vast circuit through the country, and listen to both sides, I really will not know anything more than what......CNN? Fox? and so forth is telling me/us.

#13 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Kevin. I thought I should make it clear that my understanding about the rebels is not based soley on the CNN link I posted but is also based on what I have heard from Christians living in Syria. The rebels do not represent the people of Syria; they serve Satan and will never bring freedom or justice to Syria but only more Islamic oppression.

Just so you know, I generally don't trust what CNN (or PBS) says. That's why I also posted the link from the Jerusalem Press. However, in this case the CNN report confirmed things that I already knew from other sources I do trust, including Glenn Beck, who is one of the most outspoken champions of liberty and justice in the media today. In the following video, he shows a chilling clip of how the Syrian rebels treat their enemies: https://www.facebook...294976200639003. This is not meant to be a defense of the government of Syria; it is simply evidence that the rebels aren't any better than the current government.

Getting back to Job and his "friends," I honestly don't think we can compare them to the horrific evil we see in the Middle East today among radical Muslims. Yes, Job's friends were callous and even cruel, but their treatment of Job pales in comparion to the brutality and oppression seen under Islam. I've heard of Muslim women who were horribly burned by their husbands; years ago a Muslim woman was buried up to her neck in a stadium and stoned to death by the crowd. The list could go on and on. Islam is from the pit of hell, and the Syrian rebels are simply another manifestation of it. I cannot emphasize this enough: I have it on very good authority from believers in Syria that the rebels are not the good guys.

Thanks for being willing to consider my perspective. Let's keep praying for a mighty move of God among the people of Syria. Also, pray that God will protect His people there; although hundreds of thousands of Syrians have fled to neighboring countries to escape the violence, many Christians have chosen to stay so they can minister's Christ's love to their countrymen. They desperately need our prayers.
  • Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#14 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

Kevin, here is what World Net Daily has to say about the Syrian rebels:

"A new report from a ministry worker who visited a remnant of Syria’s Christian community confirms the worst: Rebels battling President Bashar al-Assad for control are imposing Islamic law, giving Christians the choice to flee or die."

See http://www.wnd.com/2...ns-flee-or-die/

#15 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

I guess we would all say "AMEN" to one another's posts and replies. Great informed responses (and video-Betsy).

I do very much believe that the Lord loves Muslims (do not take that wrong-He is no respecter of persons) in that there are so many Muslims who are seeking truth after being so deceived and observing and experiencing the obviously ridiculous hypocritical rules of religiosity within Islam. The LORD has sent and continues to send Christians to minister to those seeking, many Muslims in Middle East countries have had visions and dreams of Christ and have come to saving faith as a result. I work with a ministry (Vision Beyond Borders) in Bozeman, MT. They take great personal risks bringing bibles, etc. to those truth-seeking Muslims. So, the LORD knows their plight, and as long as we pray, much can and will change. Satan will never win as Julie alludes.

The Muslim Brotherhood has infiltrated upper levels of the US government, including some receiving highest level security clearances. If you go to Frank Gaffney's website, he has video series on detailed and intricate facts on who is who in the government and their direct ties to Muslim Brotherhood. I'm sorry, but Dearborn, Michigan is already almost totally Muslim, many areas of Paris are "no go" for police or anyone non-Muslim, as a parts of London and other places. It is predicted by some that we will have mostly Muslims in government within 50 years, leading to Sharia law. Sharia banking is already part of large corporations such as Bank of America.

We have been duped by our own lack of concern. But the LORD knows it and will prevail.

Walid Shoebat, a former Hamas terrorist, now Christian, has some very interesting YouTube videos (sponsored by Chuck Missler). He gives a talk which includes Judges 8:21: "Then Zebah and Zalmunna said, "Rise yourself and fall upon us, for as the man is, so is his strength." And Gideon arose and killed Zebah and Zalmunna, and he took the crescent ornaments that were on the necks of their camels."

Judges 8:26: "And the weight of the golden earrings that he requested was 1,700 shekels of gold, besides the crescent ornaments and the pendants and the purple garments worn by the kings of Midian, and besides the collars that were around the necks of their camels."

I find these scriptures so thrilling. They give us the very symbols of Islam thousands of years ago. A direct warning of things to come? Perhaps.

Kevin, those who are supposedly direct descendants of Mohammed are those clerics who wear the black clerical "turban" (not to be confused with turban of Sikhs). Even this is arguable among the sects of Islam, be them Sunni, Shiite, Ahmadi, et al. But who cares? Just another bit of their religiosity.

One man who is helping me with a book I'm writing (very slowly) is Nabeel Qureshi. His website is creed 26.com. He has many videotaped debates with Muslim clerics on his site. These can be quite interesting in hearing for yourself what these clerics say about Jesus and their views about who they say Jesus is and the end times role the LORD plays in their beliefs (which differ within sects too!)

Jesus will prevail.

#16 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yes....AWESOME WORDS!!! JESUS WILL PREVAIL!!!!!!! I will keep an open mind on this Syria deal. Really, me just talking about it reveals to you that i haven't really studied up on it.......and to my shame I say this. As a born again childm holy and dearly loved, I should keep abreast of the facts. I'll read those links after I have had a shower. I still have got a bit of work a hilling my corn. I am drenching wet with sweat. But I need to hill it (I just roto-tilled it) after side dressing with Urea (0-0-34) nitrogen. Then.......a good warm shower and lots of ivory soap and my long brush to scrub from head to toe. As my mother so sagely pointed out one time (many years ago): "kevin, you know what the Bible says....'cleanliness is next to Godliness'." I said: Momma....that is NOT in the Bible. She argued with me!!! She WANTED it to be because I was grimy ....head to foot!!!
  • Julie Daube and chipped china like this

#17 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:18 AM

Sorry, I did kind of hijack this topic. I have been trying to educate myself on what's going on, so this is all very interesting to me. One thing I do know is that Satan is at the core of all this and we should all be praying hard for God's glory to overcome. Come Jesus Come!
  • Julie Daube, Lori Smith and Kevin Blankenship like this