Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

Days of Heaven on Earth (Simpson Devotional)

Monday, March 11, 2013

Have you ever thought about the strange way in which God is calling a people out of a people already called? The word ecclesia,or church, means called out, but God is calling out a still more select body from the church to be His bride-those especially prepared for His coming.

We see an illustration of this in the story of Gideon. When first he sounded the trumpet of Abiezer there resorted to him more than thirty thousand men; however, he was instructed by God to reduce the number. A first test was applied, appealing to their courage, and all but ten thousand returned home. But there needed to be an additional elimination, and so a second test was applied appealing to their prudence, caution and singleness of purpose, and all but three hundred were refused.

With this small but select band, Gideon raised the standard against the Midianites. Through the power of God he won his glorious victory. So in this present day the Master is choosing His three hundred, and by them He will yet win the world for Himself. Let us be sure that we belong to the "out and out" people.

Scripture
But ye are a chosen generation, . . . a peculiar people—1 Peter 2:9

I think Simpson makes a good point here. The bride is a people called out of a people already called. As believers, we are all a people called out by God. But what does it mean to be the called out amongst those called out? Is it a differentiation between those who are "true believers" and those who are not? When we look at the story of Gideon, God selected His army by narrowing it down to a select few of 300. If this is a parallel to how God will choose the bride of Christ, what will this look like? From what you see in scripture, what will the standards be for those chosen and compared to those not?
  • childofrevival likes this

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hi Jay!
Hope all is well with you.<p>I read and reread your topic. This is an exciting question and one that really requires a good deal of consideration of scripture and%

#3 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hope this comes through this time - not posting.<p>
I read and reread your topic. This is an exciting question and one that really requires a good deal of consideration of scripture and guidance of the Spirit of God in answering to His glorification.
First of all, I am not called to be a teacher. Therefore, I don’t want that accountability since few are really to teach. But, I’ve considered this topic myself in the past. This has come up naturally through the course of reading, bible study, conversation, etc. A study of the Book of Revelation by Chuck Missler really galvanized the stand that I’d take if I had to take one.
I see the answers to this question ranging from simple to more complex. Is God the God of confusion or is Satan? In its simplest explanation, this calling out is referring to those who are in the world, but not of it, who are set aside for God’s purposes. “Carnal Christian”? No; I don’t think so.
Getting a bit more specific, this can really boil down to Jesus’s statements, “He who has an ear to hear, let him hear…” because, in the end, there is either the one who believes in the rapture of the church before the tribulation period or those with other thoughts and beliefs. Did you know that there is a crown for those who are awaiting the rapture?
When we read the first chapter of the Book of Revelation and move into the explanations of the seven churches, we see the churches past, present and to come symbolically and literally. So, there are only two churches (representing literal churches then, now and to come – also individual believers) that have no criticisms and are described as being “OVERCOMERS”: Churches of Philadelphia and Smyrna. Only two. Two had only criticisms: Pergamus and Sardis – the churches of the world. Could be specific churches (denominations)%2
  • chipped china likes this

#4 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Sorry, this webpage keeps expiring when I post. Will post in parts so it doesn't slow down and cut it off...

I read and reread your topic. This is an exciting question and one that really requires a good deal of consideration of scripture and guidance of the Spirit of God in answering to His glorification.
First of all, I am not called to be a teacher. Therefore, I don’t want that accountability since few are really to teach. But, I’ve considered this topic myself in the past. This has come up naturally through the course of reading, bible study, conversation, etc. A study of the Book of Revelation by Chuck Missler really galvanized the stand that I’d take if I had to take one.
I see the answers to this question ranging from simple to more complex. Is God the God of confusion or is Satan? In its simplest explanation, this calling out is referring to those who are in the world, but not of it, who are set aside for God’s purposes. “Carnal Christian”? No; I don’t think so.

#5 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Getting a bit more specific, this can really boil down to Jesus’s statements, “He who has an ear to hear, let him hear…” because, in the end, there is either the one who believes in the rapture of the church before the tribulation period or those with other thoughts and beliefs. Did you know that there is a crown for those who are awaiting the rapture?
When we read the first chapter of the Book of Revelation and move into the explanations of the seven churches, we see the churches past, present and to come symbolically and literally. So, there are only two churches (representing literal churches then, now and to come – also individual believers) that have no criticisms and are described as being “OVERCOMERS”: Churches of Philadelphia and Smyrna. Only two. Two had only criticisms: Pergamus and Sardis – the churches of the world. Could be specific churches (denominations) of yesterday and today, but I won’t mention these.
There are prophetic promises to the overcomer. The promises are there in the letter. There is an explicit message to the second coming of Christ. For example: Philadelphia is promised that it will not go through the Tribulation; it will be delivered out of the trial. The church of Thyatira is warned that it will go through the Tribulation; called Jezabel (false doctrine).
In Matthew 17, prophetic mysteries are revealed in the seven parables of Jesus that correlate with the letter to these seven churches as well. “Another instance where Jesus says “He who has an ear, let him hear…”. For instance, the sower parable – the tiny mustard seed grows into a massive bush, then grows into a tree so big that the birds lodge in its branches (of the devil).
Then, Paul also writes seven letters to the churches – Ephesus, etc. that parallel these seven churches in their behavior, even down to specific sin patterns.
Again, the promises to overcomers are in the body of the letter. It seems that the two churches (or types /believers) - these endure to the end, e.g. are overcomers.
I believe these are those who will not go through the tribulation. A peculiar people = overcomers.

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Again, I am no teacher, no biblical scholar, but I love this. I’m not even going to say that I’m an overcomer. I am often a person overtaken by the world via anxieties, desires, etc. But, I am looking up because there’s no salvation in my own actions. I’d follow Jesus where he leads even to a foreign field. Maybe past sins and life have prevented that from happening. But, even if I am not a peculiar person, I’m in His will regardless.
Maybe go through and read the parables, the seven letters and the churches that Paul specifically addressed? <p>If we’re to look at the church (of America) today, we’d really see what is described as the church of Ephesus, Laodacia. Would the Church of Iran be described as that of Smyrna? China also? %

#7 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Again, I am no teacher, no biblical scholar, but I love this. I’m not even going to say that I’m an overcomer. I am often a person overtaken by the world via anxieties, desires, etc. But, I am looking up because there’s no salvation in my own actions. I’d follow Jesus where he leads even to a foreign field. Maybe past sins and life have prevented that from happening. But, even if I am not a peculiar person, I’m in His will regardless.
Maybe go through and read the parables, the seven letters and the churches that Paul specifically addressed?
If we’re to look at the church (of America) today, we’d really see what is described as the church of Ephesus, Laodacia. Would the Church of Iran be described as that of Smyrna? China also? Maybe some of the large churches giving vast amounts of help would be the church of Philadelphia? I don’t know – it’s symbolic, individual and the church at-large.
Jay, any thoughts? I’d like to hear more!

#8 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

SORRY :( JAY - this is SO messed up!

#9 Travis Richey

Travis Richey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Granbury Church of the Nazarene

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

I really do not see a connection between the account of Gideon and the words from Peter about being a chosen generation and a peculiar people. In the account of Gideon, the purpose of paring down the size of Gideon's army was not due to their belief, courage or drinking skills. The reason the size of the army was reduced is plainly laid out in Judges 7:2 "The Lord said to Gideon, “You have too many men. I cannot deliver Midian into their hands, or Israel would boast against me, ‘My own strength has saved me.’" God was working to deliver the entire nation of Israel...yet again...from its enemies, and the overall picture of Judges is that Israel keeps "doing their own thing" until they get so deep into trouble that they cry out to God. As God uses Gideon, He has chosen a man that was not a natural leader, and that was not courageous..and does so in a way that removes any basis on which Gideon or his men, or the nation of Israel can boast in and of themselves. I believe that this account is to teach us that it is God Who is glorified, and not men. The paring down of the army was not about the members of that army, but simply about the size of it. Those troops were fearful when first called, and yet they responded, and I think they deserve credit for obedience over fear. God just used that fear as a reason to excuse them, not as punishment for that fear. Of those left, the ones who drank from their hands would have been able to call the alarm to the others if necessary and I don't think that a lack of alertness is something to prevent entrance into the Kingdom. Again, these men answered the call, and have indicated a higher level of courage, and this "fault" in them is not something that is truly a fault...even though I've heard several preachers and teachers teach it that way.

As to your question as to who those are that are chosen, I think that becomes clear through Romans 9 and 10, keying in on 10:9-13 "If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
  • elizabethcog, Charles Miles and chipped china like this

#10 childofrevival

childofrevival

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Sports, music and, above all, revival - God making Himself manifest.
  • I am a Retired Alliance Worker

• I attend an Alliance church
  • PacRim Alliance

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Thank you Jay for this topic. I have always taught that those who will be the bride of Christ are only those entitled to wear a crown (as the King's bride). All 7 letters is Revelation refer to those who 'overcome' - evidently not all believers - and to whom various blessings are added including 'the crown of life' (2:10). To the church at Philadelphia, (one without criticism) John adds "make sure no one takes your crown" (3:11). James writes about the crown of life being given to those who persevere to the end (1:12). John writes about "young men" who are 'strong because the Word abides in them and they have overcome.
It is my contention that relatively few Christians in the west qualify!
  • Lori Smith and Candice like this

#11 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

In the story of Gideon, I see how God did want to make the point of giving them victory in such a way where the Israelites could not claim it for themselves. Yet at the same time, I think it would be a mistake to not further explore the idea of how God narrowed down the army and the connections it may have to end time prophecy and the image of the bride of Christ.

When I was reading the thread, Three Kingdoms - To Which One Do We Belong?, it brought back to mind a study I did awhile ago, which spurred a train of thought for me. The, term, “the Kingdom of Heaven” is used 25+ times throughout scripture. Of those, it is used in 6 different parables, plus it is directly linked in one additional.

The first four parables start out with “The kingdom of Heaven is like”. These seem to give us some insight into different aspects of the body of Christ.
  • The parable of the wheat and the tares (Matthew 13.24-29)
    • The enemy will plant weeds in the midst of the good crops. We are to let them grow up together and harvesters will sort through the good and the bad on the day of the harvest.
  • The parable of the mustard seed (Matthew 13.31-34)
    • It will start out small, but grow to be so mighty that agents of evil will perch in its branches
  • The parable of the workers in the vineyard (Matthew 20.1-16)
    • Workers will be called at different times, some to work all day, while others for mere hours. God will pay them their fair wages as He has determined.
  • The parable of the wedding banquet (Matthew 22.1-15)
    • A father invites people to his son’s wedding, but some are too preoccupied to come. So He send his servants out to remind them and some of those invited kill the servants. So he sent out an army to kill the murderers and burn their city. This seems to speak to endtime events. Many of those invited will be half-hearted and preoccupied with other things. Some will even persecute and kill the servants/prophets sent out.
    • So the father sends servants out to invite people off the street to fill his halls. These are people who were not originally invited.
The last three start out with, “At that time (the time of the end) the kingdom of Heaven will be like”. I believe these speaks to the standards in which God has set when it comes to those chosen at the time of the rapture.
  • The parable of the ten virgins (Matthew 25.1-13)
    • All ten virgins went out to meet the bridegroom. They all brought their lamps and were waiting in anticipation for his coming, but five of them forgot to bring oil for their lamps. They asked the others to share their oil, but were forced to get their own and in the process found that the door was locked to them. The oil is a picture of the Holy Spirit and because they didn’t have the Spirit to guide their steps, they never made it to the wedding party. We cannot rely on others relationship with God. We need to know the Spirit’s voice for ourselves.
  • The parable of the talents (Matthew 25.14-30)
    • All three servants were given talents. The ones faithful and good stewards of what they were given were honored, but one who hid it away was cast out into the darkness.
  • The sheep and the goats (Matthew 25.31-46)
    • This may not be so much a parable, but it is a capstone interlinked with and wrapping up the other two.
    • When Christ returns in His glory, He will separate the sheep from the goats. The sheep on His right are allowed to enter the kingdom while the goats on His left were not. The difference between the two is that the sheep fed the hungry, gave the thirsty drink, invited the strangers in, clothed the naked, looked after the sick and visited those in prison.
We don’t want to become legalistic about this, but as individuals and as communities of believers, we need to be asking ourselves what God has placed into our hands and how we can be good stewards of these things. We want to keep our eyes and our hearts open so we can see the hurts in this world and be asking what we can do to have an impact in the world around us. And we always want to be open and attentive to the guiding of the Holy Spirit, having a willing heart to follow wherever the Spirit may be guiding us.
  • Candice likes this

#12 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thank you Jay for this topic. I have always taught that those who will be the bride of Christ are only those entitled to wear a crown (as the King's bride). All 7 letters is Revelation refer to those who 'overcome' - evidently not all believers - and to whom various blessings are added including 'the crown of life' (2:10). To the church at Philadelphia, (one without criticism) John adds "make sure no one takes your crown" (3:11). James writes about the crown of life being given to those who persevere to the end (1:12). John writes about "young men" who are 'strong because the Word abides in them and they have overcome.
It is my contention that relatively few Christians in the west qualify!

Hi Jay,

I'd like to preface that I agree with Pastor Gareth on this stand. However, not all will agree and, Christ alone knows this mystery. It is indeed a mystery. Some will care about it. Some won't. Apparently, you are interested. This is going into the deeper life, passing the milk aside so to speak.

First of all, as you know, we're not talking about salvation here. Salvation is not earned or given by what we do or don't do. In a nutshell, we are talking about the millennial kingdom and how we live our lives in context to eternity, when Christ's bride, the New Jerusalem, is presented. Some would say the "bride" is the church, or Jerusalem or a people called out. There are references in scripture to the "bride" and "land". So, this is a study in and of itself.

What I sense you are really wanting to know is how your life here will impact your eternal life. Scripture refers to eternal rewards - crowns, jewels and positions of responsibility. Will you be given rewards? Mystery! I don't think we can go around "digging for jewels". working for them in our conciousness. It appears that Jesus spoke about this and people responded with "when did we do these things?". So, to me, we should be faithfully living our lives wherever we are and whatever we do.

I may go to visit Istanbul soon, and was thinking about asking a ministry to take bibles with me to be smuggled into Iran. Will God call me to do this? I'd like to think so. But, He won't. Because I'm here to take care of my man and my son. I'd like the adventure and being a servant in danger - maybe get rewards for persecution and risking my life. Wrong motive! Just being honest. When it's got me in the equation and that's my focus - it's not right with the LORD. These works for God's kingdom cannot be worked up. I will serve faithfully where I am. God can turn the table as He likes.

An overcomer does the will of God. How about you? Are you wanting to do something to earn the crown? The jewels? A position of responsibility in the millennium? This is exciting!! And yes, these rewards are going to be there. But, they'll be given by Christ Himself. Even more interesting - it's already done.

How we live our lives will effect our eternal life. I don't think anyone here who is past the milk stage can argue that one. How that looks here on earth is between you and the LORD. If you are available, He will use you. If you sense Him drawing you, wait on Him and accept His call no matter the reward or not.

As Pastor Gareth said, I don't see many westerners qualifying. Maybe it's my knowing people in other countries who are persecuted daily that makes me think that way. Only the LORD knows.

You should keep on wondering. There's nothing wrong with that.

Blessings to you,
Candice
  • childofrevival likes this

#13 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

This is an interesting subject and like Candice, I am certainly no theologian, just a child of God who has more love poured out on him than he can imagine. I also will agree with Travis and Candice about this not being about salvation. Also the difference between a " true believer and someone who is not" is a line that is between believers and non-believers...one can`t just believe a little bit and still be called a believer...not judging here, just stating a fact. You either do or don`t fall into the believer catagory.

"What we do here on earth will effect our eternal life"....Amen and amen. Works do not make men righteous and are not the way to salvation.....but.

I used to hate to read the book of James because I knew I couldn`t do all those things he said we should be doing. The book troubled me and worried me to the point that I simply skipped it in my studies. BUT...when one realizes that all these works found in James, are DUE to the fact that we are saved by grace, redeemed, and sanctified by our Lord...then all of the works start to make sense. Doing works after becoming a child of God, and doing them because we love the Lord and wish to please Him by living as close to a righteous life as we can, then the works do mean something. When in Rev, the elders kneel and "cast their crowns before the throne of God", are not these crowns their works done in love to please the Father? I think so, but I`m not sure I can produce any scripture to back that up.

Once saved, we are saved, but I don`t think we will all sit on the same pew in heaven. We will all be glad to be there, but some will be seated closer to the throne than others. Why is that so? Only God knows for sure, and the reasoning behind His seating chart will be just and absolutely correct.

In Christ,

Charlie
  • Candice and childofrevival like this

#14 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

There is something appealing to the idea of heavenly crowns and riches, but really, those seem to pale in comparison to the real riches that God offers us. In this life, we have the chance to be living witnesses to God’s love and glory. We can help bring healing to the sick and broken hearted, feed the hungry, clothe the naked and ultimately be God’s hand working in this world. That is the real glory that God offers us. The heavenly riches are more trophies to a job well done.

As the body and bride of Christ, there is much that we should be doing in preparation for His return. We need to come together as a body, respecting the roles that each member plays, so that we can function as a body. There are so many doctrinal and praxis based issues that we get hung up on that do little more than drive us apart, when we should be asking what we can do to see past the differences to come together and truly function as a body.

I think it is important that we take a step back and reevaluate what all God has placed into our hands and ask whether we are being good stewards with these things. One, if not the most important thing to God is the people. Because of that, we need to ask what we can do to better see value in and invest in what God highly treasures. Like in the parable of the sheep and the goats in Matthew 25.31-46, the ones who invest into the lives of the sick, the hungry and thirsty, the naked and the broken hearted, were the ones allowed into the kingdom.

#15 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Doing works after becoming a child of God, and doing them because we love the Lord and wish to please Him by living as close to a righteous life as we can, then the works do mean something.

This is key and I agree with it. Anything we produce that's not of Christ will burn. It's all gonna burn as David Wilkerson would say..."that car's gonna burn..."
Personally, I will just be glad to be in His presence even if it's not in the first chair. Others who have suffered persecution, severe poverty, etc. can take it. I gladly give it up.

That is the real glory that God offers us. The heavenly riches are more trophies to a job well done.

There are so many doctrinal and praxis based issues that we get hung up on that do little more than drive us apart, when we should be asking what we can do to see past the differences to come together and truly function as a body.

Like in the parable of the sheep and the goats in Matthew 25.31-46, the ones who invest into the lives of the sick, the hungry and thirsty, the naked and the broken hearted, were the ones allowed into the kingdom.

Jay,
I agree that those crowns and rewards, etc. are something given by God and, yes, what a great thing to serve God. I would like to do that in a big way. How about you? I can see serving kids in Africa - the poorest of the poor - AIDS orphans. I'd do it in a minute. Would you? Is it necessary? No. Because Jesus told people that they did those things ("I was hungry and you fed me...", etc.), and the people asked "when did we do these things?" So, I could be mistaken and off base, but this surprised them. They weren't even aware. Now, that's beautiful! Like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing? Is that correct correlation of scripture? It was just part of the new nature of Christ in them. I don't believe anyone needs to wait for a movement of unity or a revival. That revival must take place, in action, in the individual believer as he/she is prompted by God's Spirit.

"The scriptures teaches that unless two be agreed, they cannot walk together..." There's just no telling how many churches will drop their doctrinal differences and plant their flag on the primaries. Does coming together have to be a situation where all the churches whereby all the members working as one? Yes, it happens. It happens at Times Square Church in NYC where they have combined forces, so to speak, with several NYC churches to serve the homeless, Hurricane Sandy victims, prostitutes, drug addics, etc. on a daily basis. It is unbelievable. I've seen their efforts first hand and can see Christ in NYC. It isn't perfect. Can it be done everywhere? It can if God's people will humble themselves and pray!

Suggest: The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson. God told him to just go to New York City and serve those on the streets who no one would serve. He just did it. You know what he said about the actual church building (a large, fancy theatre), "it's gonna burn!" My friend worked closely for David for 12 years. He walked with God so closely, it was uncomfortable for many [believers] to be in his presence in an intimate setting like a family gathering. Is he an overcomer? Called out of the body? Yes, I believe so. Can't know his heart. Even King David was this type of human being, and look at his goof ups and sins!

One body in Christ.

If you're prompted, just obey!

Peace,
Candice

There is something appealing to the idea of heavenly crowns and riches, but really, those seem to pale in comparison to the real riches that God offers us. In this life, we have the chance to be living witnesses to God’s love and glory. We can help bring healing to the sick and broken hearted, feed the hungry, clothe the naked and ultimately be God’s hand working in this world. That is the real glory that God offers us. The heavenly riches are more trophies to a job well done.

As the body and bride of Christ, there is much that we should be doing in preparation for His return. We need to come together as a body, respecting the roles that each member plays, so that we can function as a body. There are so many doctrinal and praxis based issues that we get hung up on that do little more than drive us apart, when we should be asking what we can do to see past the differences to come together and truly function as a body.

I think it is important that we take a step back and reevaluate what all God has placed into our hands and ask whether we are being good stewards with these things. One, if not the most important thing to God is the people. Because of that, we need to ask what we can do to better see value in and invest in what God highly treasures. Like in the parable of the sheep and the goats in Matthew 25.31-46, the ones who invest into the lives of the sick, the hungry and thirsty, the naked and the broken hearted, were the ones allowed into the kingdom.

#16 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

"You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked." Rev. 3:17

Just came to me that the above scripture reference applies to all humanity. It isn't necessarily the physically poor, naked, sick...those unsaved. They're in our midst as individuals evey day.

#17 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:36 AM

Although I would very much like to do most, if not all, the Kingdom works such as feeding the hungry, spreading the gospel, and others, I am limited by work and making a living daily. I know it is an un-christian thing to say, but by the time I start at the hospital at 0500 and get home at 1800-2000, I am just worn out! Used to not be that way, but I`m a bit older now and a 68 year old physician just wears out easier. I do help when and where I can, but it does seem so small. My tithing and gifts are my major part of helping advance God`s plan here on earth.....even though He doesn`t need my money, time, or anything else except my love and obedience. I said all this to tell a story about some who DO go out and do what I wish I could.

My close friend and evangelist, Dr John Shiver, goes to middle Africa a few times each year to hold meetings and preach. Where he goes is a muslim country and they put out a fatah(?)sp, last year to kill all the christian missionaries and any people that have converted to christianity. Scary stuff! I asked John if he was frightened and he said he knew of the order but it didn`t bother him, so he still goes. The messages and videos I get back from all these people hearing about Jesus for the first time....well, it is amazing. I asked him why the islamic order to kill doesn`t bother him because Mohammed was big on conversion by the sword, so this order to kill christians was a part of their religeous system. His answer was shocking to me....Charlie, would you believe that most muslims don`t know WHAT they are supposed to believe? I thought about it a while and realized he was probably correct, then my train of thought continued down that same path. John didn`t say it but the thought came to me immediately....You know, it is probably true that most professing christians don`t know what they are supposed to believe either!

You know, satan doesn`t bother those who don`t even know what they are supposed to know, even if they are a professing christian and go to church every week, sit and sing songs they don`t understand, recite written prayers they don`t understand, and recite creeds that mean nothing to them. Satan doesn`t even concern himself with these "christians" because he has them right where he wants them. The attacks seem to start happening when we learn about God`s love, what Christ did for us, who we actually are, and what we are supposed to be doing and start doing it. So I`ll go out on a limb here and say that doctrine is important, getting back into the Word is important, establishing or re-establishing the firm relationship with the Father is important, and maybe as important as all these is to love one another as Christ loves us. We can use doctrinal differences to divide us if we so desire, but again, that is where satan wants us to be....divided and confused. Doctrine is not a bad thing....we need to know what we are supposed to know and the doctrine of Christ is needed and needed so bad. As soon as we learn the basics, satan enters and encourages nit picking about unimportant little details that, in the end, don`t matter.....but they can and do divide the Church.

Sorry to ramble in these pre-dawn hours, but I did feel led to speak out that there is nothing wrong with doctrine, sound, true, bible based doctrine. It gives us firm footing. Let`s not argue about minute things that don`t matter....these things are not of God.

Your brother in Christ,

Charlie
  • Lori Smith and Candice like this

#18 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Charles,

You make some really good points here. You say that there is a lot that you would like to do, but due to your age and your employment as a doctor, you are limited in what you can do. We don’t all need to drop everything and become missionaries. Wherever we go, there is need all around us. Even though, as individuals, we may not be able to do a lot, each of us can do something. And the change we need to see in this world probably will not come about by a few people doing really big things, but instead a lot of little people like you and I using what we have to make little changes within our own circle of influence.

One of the problems that we see is that we have a few people seemingly doing all the work, while far too many are just taking up space on the pews. When this happens, those who do get involved tend to fill roles more because there is need and they need to be filled, instead of taking the time to seek out what God is actually calling them to do and doing what they are passionate about. I believe that many believers want to do more for God’s kingdom and to have an impact on this world, but like you pointed out, many people simply do not know what to believe or what to do.

For me, I know I have a definite calling on my life that I am working towards. The problem is that the place God has called me to is bigger than anything I could ever hope to accomplish and will require a community of people to bring it to fruition. God has given me a vision, but when it comes to the experience and the expertise, I literally don’t have the ability to bring it about.

As the body of Christ, we each have a role to play in the functioning of the body. The more we can help each individual member to realize their role and calling, and bring all the members to function as a whole, the more functional and fluid each movement of the body will become. Though you may be able to push a ball around with your head, it would be more effective to be able to pick it up with your hand or kick it with your foot.

Throughout this country, we have thousands upon thousands of churches, ministries, community groups and other organizations trying to make an impact in the world in which we live. It is not uncommon to find that there are numerous different groups that are all trying to accomplish the same basic things, each one having to find the support, the manpower and resources, and going through many of the same exact struggles. By organizing and finding ways to share information and to function more as a body, it can help alleviate many of the struggles that individual groups experience. Groups could better learn from others mistakes. They could combine manpower and resources, where applicable, which could increase effectiveness over what they would normally be able to do alone. It could lead to better ways to identify where needs exist and increase the ability to diversify to fill those needs. I could keep on going on the merits of coming together and functioning more as a body, but hopefully you get the idea.

Part of this is coming to a place where we can come together, in the midst of our differences, so we can work together towards common goals. Like you said, it is important to know what we believe, to be in relationship with the Father, to have a firm doctrinal foundation and the likes. But sometimes by holding our tongue and taking the time to listen to those who have very different beliefs, not only can it help us to get a better understanding of where they are coming from and why they believe what they believe, but God can also use it as a way to show us deficiencies in our own faith and our own walk with Him. Sometimes just because your beliefs seem to be very different from mine, doesn’t make it a case where one of us is right and the other is wrong. Sometimes the perceived differences are more in the fact that the calling on your life may be more that of an eye, where mine may be more that of a hand or a foot. Sometimes God will focus on specific aspects of ones faith or give them a certain understanding when it comes to their beliefs, in order to get them to the place He needs them, so they can do what they are being called to do. That is how I see the Calvinism/Free-Will debate. They both bring out very important aspects of God’s character and though we don’t yet understand how the two sides intersect, doesn’t mean that one is right and the other is wrong.

As individual members of the body of Christ, we each need to come to the place where we know God for ourselves and are willing to walk the path that He is leading us on as individuals, while realizing that He does lead each of us on our own unique and very distinct path in our relationship with Him. By coming to the place where we can accept that, not only will it allow individuals to thrive in their relationship with God and His calling on their lives, but the stronger the body will become as a whole. Instead of expecting everyone to conform to a single image of what a believer is supposed to look like, it give them the freedom to be who they were actually created to be. And the more our gifts can flow as a natural outpouring of our relationship with God, the more effective we will be because we aren’t continually second guessing ourselves and acting out of a need to conform to an unscriptural image of what we are supposed to look like as believers.
  • Candice likes this

#19 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Jay,
I totally agree with your last paragraph...and let me add an amen. If you will, let me say something here. If your calling is from God, your expertise and experience will be adequate and more when needed. The Lord seems to be able and willing to equip His children with knowledge and opportunity at just the right time. Peter was a fisherman with a bad anger management problem when he first met with Jesus, and even up until that thrid crow of the cock. After that, he became pretty effective. Stephen was only a regular man until he met the Lord and was able to stand in front of the sanhedran and give his testimony...where he impressed a zelot named Saul. Just 2 examples of God equiping His children with expertise and opportunity when before they met Him, there would have been none.

If you are absolutely sure your calling is of God, go for it and things will work the way they are supposed to work for His glory. Minute differences in doctrine are unimportant, but major deviations may be. I do not know all of your doctrinal beliefs, nor do I need to. Jesus said..." I am the Truth, the Way, and the Life....no one comes to the Father but through Me". "If you speak with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved" This type doctrine cannot be denied and does give one a "firm footing" upon which to base faith and hope. May God bless your efforts to further His Kingdom here on earth.

In Christ,

Charlie