• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 childofrevival

childofrevival

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Sports, music and, above all, revival - God making Himself manifest.
  • I am a Retired Alliance Worker

• I attend an Alliance church
  • PacRim Alliance

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Continuing my search for the greatness that Jesus commends:
We have already seen that to be 'great' I must be (i) as the younger (Luke 22:24-26) - a stranger to this world, non-political, learning to wait for God's timing, etc; (ii) as a child (Matt 18:4) - not holding offenses, not hypocritical, dependent, transparent, etc.

Now (iii) - as the least

"And an argument arose among them as to which of them was the greatest …. ; “for he who is least among you all is the one who is the greatest” Luke 9: 46-48
No prizes go to the least. There is no competition where the goal is to be the least. Those who are the least are not there for the glory it offers.
It is only possible to be willing to be the least if you are comfortable with yourself and who you are. If it is injurious to ‘lose face’, you will never be willing to be the least. If we have an unhealthy need for recognition and applause, we will not easily go in the direction of ‘least’.
Many pastors have found rewards and honours a good way to manipulate people to do what they want. Even Bible Colleges offer honorary degrees to get man ‘on board’ in order to give the college some better standing. I know of men who brazenly use honorary doctorate degrees in their name. We have often compromised ourselves for the sake of temporary honours and acclaim. - How unlike Jesus who made Himself, “of no reputation”. (Phil.2:7)
"How we can ignore the warnings of Scripture and continue to use honours for manipulation is a dangerously unanswered question." (Gayle Erwin)

Jesus speaks very clearly to us about those who seek and need honours - (Matt 6:1 - 2). They have their reward but no commendation in the Kingdom of God. Greatness in His kingdom is measured in terms of being willing to be the least. There is only one prize that we should seek, “the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus (Phil 3: 14), and only one thing that we can boast in. Paul writes in 2 Cor 10: 17-18, “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord. For it is not the man who commends himself who is approved, but the man whom the Lord commends.”

Not only do we seek honours for ourselves but also for our church or denomination. Look at the church advertisements in any Canadian/American newspaper! Trying so often to outdo one another. No wonder it is the least read page in the newspaper.
We struggle to be at the top; in the inn called fame and fortune, but we find the place is filled. There are so many others vying for the same honours and position. No one wants to be left out. However, many go through life, feeling inadequate and unimportant as the world (of the church) passes them by. They never make it to the inn - but there is always plenty of room in the stable, not many people are willing to be there, the place of being the least.

Being the least is not the same as being the lowest of the indolent, lazy, useless people. Instead, it is a willingness to let others have the honours and acclaim even though you have done the work and made the effort. It is a willingness to lift others up and to be unnoticed in the effort.
Such people are “great in the kingdom of Heaven”.

God's toolchest is made up of weak and foolish things, low and despised things, things that are the least, but He chooses them to shame the wise and the strong (1 Cor 1:28).

"O Lord, make my heart wiling to be the 'least' so that my King might be glorified in living His life through me". Amen
  • elizabethcog and chipped china like this