Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

In Exodus 20, God met the children of Israel at Mount Sinai to speak to them. When He appeared, He showed up in a cloud, upon the mountain, with lightning and thunder and trumpet blasts. He wanted to set the fear of the Lord in them, so they would know His might and not sin against Him. Yet instead of revering and worshiping Him, they told Moses that they did not want to hear God’s voice, but instead that God should speak through Moses. As we see in verse 20, God was testing the Israelites to see what they would do.

There are times where when God is revealing something to His people, He will wrap it in “lighting and thunder”. He will reveal it is such a way where it may go against our long held beliefs or what may seem right to us. He places the choice where we can accept His perfect will, in the form in which He reveals it, or our will and miss out on the blessing that He has hidden in it.

#2 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

What that also shows me is that some are content with the mundane, and they are not held spellbound by God's majesty. It's easy to let someone else go up and receive God's message. To climb the mountain-brave the storm-feel the wind takes single-minded interest. It means turning aside from the pleasant life and pursuing the dangerous life with God.
  • Jay Turner, Kevin Blankenship and Charles Miles like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."