• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Interests:Missions, Africa, Cleveland and Ohio Sports
  • I am a Missionary

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Northview Alliance Church, Wooster, Ohio

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Our day changed quite suddenly last Wednesday as we received the news of the homegoing of our father, H. Robert Cowles. Andrew and I were teaching our classes at Maranatha Bible School in Burkina Faso and within a few hours we were on our way to the capitol city of Ouaga to get a flight back to Carlisle, Pennsylvania. The Lord made a way for us to find space on the plane for our whole family. Our loss is huge, but in the midst of our family's grief we are sustained by our father's example of contentment in God's purpose for his life, a characteristic he admirably demonstrated amid the many challenges he faced. Pray for us as we return to Burkina, that the hope we have in Christ Jesus will be seen in us as we receive the many visitors who will come to greet us on our arrival.

• Lori Smith and jdoty like this

#2 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

That was lovely, inspiring and full of the Lords peace. I'm sorry for your loss of him here on earth but so thankful of your confidence that you'll meet up again in eternity. Blessings

• Andrew/Esther Schaeffer likes this

#3 Douglas Wicks

Douglas Wicks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Thank you for posting this tribute to Bob Cowles. I greatly admired him as a good friend, mentor, and brother in Christ. My sincere condolences to his entire family.
Doug Wicks
Colorado Springs, Colo.

#4 Douglas Hautz

Douglas Hautz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Radio DJ PureFire WKTO 88.9FM
  • I am a Pastor

• Ormond Beach Alliance

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Praying for your family ... the team ... your void in Burkina. The All Sufficient Christ has you in the palm of His hand. Overcoming by the word of our testimony
Doug Hautz

When you and I stand together in the presence of God- knowing and seeing who He is and all that He has done in His sovereign power to move us from birth to "that Day"- we will pour out our thanks and praise to Him, joyfully doing our best to shake the rafters of heaven.

#5 Janet Howard

Janet Howard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hi Esther,

I'm so glad you posted this on the site. Your mom and dad were very special people - full of love, compassion, commitment, kindness and were some of our prayer warriors. Your mom and then later your dad would respond to my emails and tell me they were praying for us.

I knew your parents well when they lived in Nyack and went to Simpson Church. All that your dad went through with his polio only reinforced his humility and total dependence on God.

It's good that you were able to be home for the funeral and to have a sense of closure, so important in the grieving process. God graciously opened the way for you.

I share your sadness, yet joy, as you remember your dad, a gracious man who excelled in all he did.We share the wonderful heritage of parents who loved God with all their hearts. May our children and grandchildren "find us faithful" too.

With warm regards,
Janet King Kuhns Howard
  • Merilyn Lauffer likes this