Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • The Bridge

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

Love is a verb. Noun is a thing. Noun is a person, place or thing. Love is an action, it moves. The bible says God is love :D God's spirit living in our bodies will produce fruit if we choose to let Him have free reign and not be held captive to things that try and shut Him down. I love how God helps me learn more about him through all kinds of ways like prayer, reading his word, listening and just being still with him, wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ who share their stories,triumphs,and trials. And yes even correction when I am wrong-(which is often I am not afraid to admit) He is great and perfect, not me...love to all and thank you too
  • Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#2 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

Elizabeth,

You have a sweet spirit that always blesses! I love how you say that God will do things when we don't shut Him down. I agree! He spoke the world into existence. Imagine if we let Him loose in us! :D
  • Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog and chipped china like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#3 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

I agree with Lori on everything she said concerning you Elizabeth. You DO have a sweet spirit. You junt canot hide it. It shows through in your writing. And your topic has touched upon a subject that I have been really thinking about for the last few days. Namely: LOVE.
The scripture says, in not exactly these words but with this jist: "The love of God has been poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit."
I grew up in a home where the word "love" was very rarely spoken....if ever. It's usage was always foreign to me. I am a bit on the cold side, as CS Lewis describes those of us who are not naturally passionate people. He went on to say, and I paraphrase: "If we are not 'loving types', that we should not try to manufacture a loving feeling towards others, but rather ask ourselves: 'If I loved God or my fellow man...what would I do?' And then just go and do that." He was addressing people who, by nature, are not really loving types, and how we can still BE lovers of God and lovers of mankind. Well, his reasoning (the book is Mere Christianity) served to give me no small amount of ease in my spirit and I set out to do just what he suggested so that I could (and would) be a keeper of the Great Commandment passed on to us by Jesus Himself. I have been doing a fair job of it. But I must admit that it is not really emotionally satisfying. Sometimes, I want to FEEL the love as I attempt to dispense it.
I also have a problem with receiving love. It can really send a convert into a real tizzie when he reads the words: "This is how we know that we belong to Him, that we love one another." (Again, my paraphrase). And then I read the Word again which says: "God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit" and of course, I surely needn't go into detail about the turmoil that creates in a heart like mine.
My Love for God, lately, has taken a back seat to the day to day activities of just living. How EASY IT IS to start looking at this world's toys to provide for emotional fulfillment and it never fails to leave me feeling empty....like I feel right now. And then, when I get to feeling miserable enough, I will cry out to God for relief from this horrid feeling. But I asked for it. I prayed, a couple of years ago when I recognized a fault in me, that God would remove from my heart the passion for ANYTHING that stands in the way or that waters down my love for Him and His people. And this prayer has been answered. To the tee. I find NO pleasure in the things that use to bring me great satisfaction. But I really need God to now Pour out His love into my heart by the Holy Spirit. And to not with hold it from me any longer. I realize that being cold and loveless is HARD-WIRED into me, as my folks where the same way, I NEVER saw Momma and Daddy show ANY signs of affection, at all. Unless they were feeling tipsey on Paul Masson Chenin Blanc (a white wine that they often shared on weekends, although they were certainly not sots). But when they were 'feeling good' I MIGHT see them peck each other on the cheek. Nothing more. And maybe once a year...IF that.
So...for you belivers who are able to actually FEEL a LOVE and an EMPATHY towards others.....feel blessed!!!!! Because you are!!! I certainly cannot wait to shake off this mortally messed up body of mine and enter into the glory prepared for us.
And PLEASE OH PLEASE, don't any of the other members of this forum take this post as "Uh Oh, he's doubting his salvation....again." Or even: " This fellow can NEVER be satisfied". Remember that I am using this forum as my church and I am talking to y'all as if I was talking to a fellow Christian friend. It is well with my soul. Christ made sure of that. Great thread. It acted as a catalysist for me to share an area of struggle for me. (And I am not blind to the fact, that if I wasn';t so introverted, and intro-focused, that I wouldn't have to say "me" and "I" all the time, and that this might be much of my problem.)
  • Lori Smith, elizabethcog, Charles Miles and 1 other like this

#4 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

Kenin,

Please keep up your honesty and explainations of how you are dealing with life. I was also raised in a home where love was simply not expressed openly. Oh, we knew the parents loved us because they worked hard and long hours to provide for us but the words "I love you son", were just not spoken to us children. Like you, I never heard mother or dad say "I love you" to each other...and that is just plain sad! Kevin, we are both having to overcome that situation by learning to say "I love you" to family and friends....starts off being hard doesn`t it?
I read scripture and understand that much of it is God saying "I love you" to me!! Wow! Who would have thought He would have gone to so much trouble to let me know that fact? I praise Him because He first loved me, when I was certainly unlovable. Maybe that is what we call "devine love".

In Christ,

Charlie
  • Lori Smith and elizabethcog like this

#5 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Sometimes, I want to FEEL the love as I attempt to dispense it.
So...for you belivers who are able to actually FEEL a LOVE and an EMPATHY towards others.....feel blessed!!!!! Because you are!!!

Hi Brother Kevin,
Throughout your writing on this forum, I see love come through from you. And, I also see you receiving love from others here. Love isn't this gushy sentiment. Yes, we ought to "say" it and "feel" it at times. I was never told by my parents (mother died when I was 9 years old), but my father, about the last ten years of his life, started saying it. This meant a lot to me later on.

Never feat because....there are the spiritual gifts of the HOLY SPIRIT. You seem to me to have a gift of discernment. I can say personally that this gift sometimes creates a sense in us of negativity, introspection and lack of love to others. However, this is not the case brother! I am also discerning and have actually complained to GOD for giving me the gift. A bible study leader I once had said that having the gift of discernment is very important to the church, but is often rejected if it is negatively applied. This is the case with me. How about you?

I believe that Tozer had the gift. He was actually criticized by his wife after his death, along with some of his children, for not "demonstrating love" to them. But, look at the love he had for the FATHER! His writings have blessed many and that is love (IMO).

You are blessed, not just us who have "empathy". Your giftings are just as much a blessing to others as any empathy. You are far more empathic than you see. If you were really so unloving, I don't think I'd see the responses as very loving. I believe others here would agree.

Like I said, and I repeat for emphasis, some of us have giftings that are compassion, etc. Yours may very well be an extra gifting in other areas, i.e. discernment, that make you special to any body of believers, here on this forum, in a physical church or ministry.

Blessings to you,
Candice
  • Lori Smith likes this

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Elizabeth,
Reading over your opening words to begin this topic, it gave me great pause to meditate this through. You are so right on, especially "if we let Him have free reign". And that reminds me of horseback riding which I LOVE. I think of trust between rider and horse. I have a horse I ride ocassionally named "Hudson". He is beautiful and so loving. This animal (so powerful and able to kill you if it weren't a prey animal without a desire to do that) needs the rider to trust him. For some reason, Hudson is particularly this way (more than other horses I've ridden). He knows if I don't trust him on a specific day. There's just this subtle breakdown of relationship. If there isn't that trust, the harder it is to obtain cooperation. Free reign seems to be rooted in trust. Trusting Hudson by giving him free reign to do what he is designed to do.

Similarly, our allowing God to have free reign is really just a matter of trust. If I don't the LORD, He is Spirit and knows it by His omnipotence. There is always a resultant lack of communication and a breakdown of relationship and fellowship. There is this subtle break and, the longer it goes on, the more the trust breaks and it all just falls apart. Similarly, can God entrust us with ministry, love of others, etc. without our really trusting him (giving him free reign)? I just don't think so. As I trust HIM, He trusts me more with discerningly and freely speaking into the lives of others - literally or figuratively. How can giving him free reign be anything but complete trust, submission and growh??

Love you Elizabeth,
Candice
  • Lori Smith, elizabethcog and Charles Miles like this

#7 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Elizabeth,
You're really started it up for me with this topic!! Really! I think of this and God and it's all coming back to me, even from years when I rode horses in my teens and my learning to trust.

Trusing HIM alone gets you home (heaven and here on earth in fellowhip and obedience to him). If I ride up the mountain from my home on any horse and don't trust him to find his way back by giving him free reign (which is always better than me trying to hoop him around trails to find the way back down), we loose mutual trust. The horse ALWAYS finds its way home with FREE REIGN. I can get distracted on horseback and really not fear a thing!

I am definitely going to spend an hour or so with Hudson today! He is a physical reminder of that "action" of love via complete trust in HIM.

Blessings,
Candice

#8 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

I just want to say that Y'all are so awesome and you are all really blessing me! All of you! Y'all are great!
  • elizabethcog likes this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#9 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Candice,

I like the horse and rider analogy of trust. I used to judge bird dog field trials, which involved 8-9 hrs in the saddle for 2-3 days in a row. One of my horses, a big(16.5 hands) dapple grey named Jack, was simply the best horse I ever rode. When I mounted him, he would look around as if to say...oh, it`s you doc...get comfortable and enjoy the view...I`ve got it under control for you now. Horses seem to know, as soon as you mount, before they even take a step, if you are a rider or a passenger. There is nothing like a ride on a good horse that trusts you and you, in turn, trust him. Movement is easy and smooth.
Trusting the Lord makes the trip through this world easier....not without problems, but when problems are encountered, they should be turned over to Him...He has it under control. Sometimes that is hard to do, but we all know it is the thing to do...don`t we?

Lord, help me to turn all the mess and concern in my life over to you. In my heart I know you are in control and that you do love me as your child. Without you Lord, none of it matters anyway.

Praise Emmanuel,

Charlie
  • Candice likes this

#10 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Ditto to everything. What a blessing I've had with all of you today. Our Lord has been lifted up and worshiped.

Kevin, I think I speak for all of us here that it's been joyful getting to know you and we love you!
  • Candice likes this

#11 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Charles and Betsy,
I'm glad to know there are horse-loving folk here. Although those days of riding are mostly over for me. I really believe that the LORD made these animals so that we would know just a fraction of what it is like to touch HIM!

Blessings,
Candice
  • Charles Miles likes this