• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

I went to sleep last night with a verse on my heart and mind. Woke up with it there too. I read in my new Bible study on Isaiah with Chuck Missler, specifically called out in Isaiah 1:3, where Chuck, in his audio presentation, makes an interesting point on this verse (paraphrased):

The ox knows his owner and the donkey his owner's crib

"How many of you have pets? As a contrast to God's people, consider your pet. Does it know you? Does it respond to you? Does it come when you call?......"

This pet (hopefully) knows you as master, follows you around, obeys, looks to you for everything (food, water, companionship, etc.) since you really are all the pet has in this world. I know this is true of my 11 year-old labrador who looks me in the eye for determining every move he makes, follows me to the point of annoyance sometimes, does exactly what I ask and has served others as a therapy dog, He does what he's created to do. I know animals have personalities (souls) but no spirit. Consider that, no spirit. We have GOD'S HOLY SPIRIT!!

Are we as conscious and devoted to the LORD? Isn't this the attitude we should have towards the LORD?

Now, on the other hand, what do YOU say about this verse? How do you see it?

Candice
  • Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship and Charles Miles like this

#2 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Candice,

First let me say that I absolutely love Chuck Missler`s teaching. I have just finished his commentary on Daniel and it was enlightening, to say the least. The man is brilliant and knows his bible.
Isaiah is one of my favorite books and probably my favorite prophet in the bible For me, this verse fits along with Jesus saying..."I am the Good shepherd and I know my sheep. My sheep know me and know my voice.". If we have never had a relationship with the Lord, we probably won`t know His voice when He is speaking to us. Your dog, by living around you and following you every day...knows who you are and knows the sound of your voice. The dog responds to you because he wants to please you in any way he can. I feel that our situation is a bit different that of a pet, but we learn the Master`s voice and His will the same way your animal learned yours.....he stayed with you and listened to you EVERY DAY. Often people ask, "How do I know if it is the Lord speaking to me?"...well, have we listened for Him and to Hime before? If His voice and His will are not familiar to us, maybe we need to "hang around" the Lord by staying in the Word daily, praising Him daily, and listening for Him and to Him daily. Jesus said that if we ask, He and the Father will come and live within us. How hard should it be to hear His word and understand who is speaking, if He lives within our heart and communicates with us daily?
Let me say that I do not get this done correctly all the time. I still stray away like a sheep on occasion, but Oh God I pray that you, your Son, and the Spirit will live within me and so close to me that there can be no doubt or misunderstanding about you voice or what you say to me. Maybe we should accept the fact that Jesus meant what He said, and after accepting His offer, understand that His voice should be coming from WITHIN our hearts and not from the outside.

May we all ask for and recieve the indwelling Holy Spirit who makes Jesus` voice unmistakeable,

Charlie

• Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#3 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

I have a Golden retriever male named Ranger. He loves to be with me.
Posted Image
He hears my voice and comes running. But I too, feel that my relationship with the Lord is difficult to compare with that of me and my dog. In frustration, sometimes I cry out to God concerning prayer-time: "God!!!! This has been a one sided conversation for many many days. I need to hear from YOU!!!!!! And I don't mean just Bible reading......I mean, I need to hear from YOU!!!! Like in the early church. Or even like in the old Testament when you communicated with people."
Sad to say, I'm not a people person. I can be quite content to stay by myself. But then I start realizing a need for fellowship. I cannot be the only one who is communicating. I need to hear a response.....to my prayer. To KNOW that Someone is listening. I'm feeling that right now. This post may be way off topic. If it is, I apologize. I've been having trouble concentrating lately. I don;t know why.
EDIT: Can I get some more info on Chuck Missler?? I found the Koinia (spelling?) House website which I assume is their website. I am interested in the Old testament commentaries. Thanks. By the way, great topic Candace.
  • Lori Smith, chipped china and Ginger like this

#4 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hi Kevin,
I know exactly what you mean by needing to HEAR from GOD and struggling with what seems to be one-way communication. I find when I am distracted and unable to concentrate, I feel it is one way. The frustration of not focusing in prayer leades to further feelings of it being a one-way experience in prayer. However, I know deep in my heart, and you ought to be encouraged to know (I'm sure you do), that this is just a feeling; not reality.
Be encouraged to try relaxation and listening to worship before prayer too. Not emptying the mind though! Often, God nudges me - not in prayer - but in everyday life: conversations with others, times of trial with others, etc. This is maybe what I'd call "Pedal to the Metall" responses from the LORD. I think this is how HE responds to me - not really so much in quiet times. Does that apply to you as well?

With respect to your specific bout of lack of concentration, you can give yourself a break. After all, you're caring for your mother and that is mentally and emotionally, if not physically, fatiguing.

Your dog is precious! Loyal too I'm sure.

With respect to Chuck Missler, yes, his website is khouse.org. He is an awesome teacher. So many bible studies to choose from; some free, others need to be purchased as MP3, etc. His radio studies are free, i.e. Isaiah.
The Seven Churches of the Book of Revelation is really great. That alone is worth weeks of study.

Be well Brother. This life is but that of a gnat!
Candice
  • Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#5 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

Brother Kevin,

Your picture made me smile and God's love is shining down on you and Ranger. You know, I'm not sanguine either, more melancholy. If we were made by Him, it's not sad to say. The world needs all kinds of people and the Lord knew that. I also believe that if you ask God to help you reach out more that His love will stretch you. The Lord has been helping me seek out humans in a meaningful way, one on this site and also through volunteer work. This may sound silly but I try to do something as simple as just saying God Bless to people I meet throughout my day. It's amazing that in a split second you either see the Spirit or not. And I find it very disturbing that the world no longer feels comfortable blessing people you don't know.

And I agree with Candice,one of the best ways to hear from God is by talking to another true believer. We are Christ on earth, what an honor!!!!

I am ever so grateful to have been saved and called by our Lord and Redeemer. God Bless you all, Sister Betsy with 10 dogs.
  • Lori Smith and Kevin Blankenship like this

#6 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

There times in prayer, certainly not EVERYTIME......but certain times, where I feel the distinct closeness of God. (Ya know that feeling ya get when, even though your eyes are closed, you KNOW that someone is in the room with you???) Well...it's not much like that. Why? Because there is always a certain amount of fear attached to that. But the closeness of the Lord brings (and has brought) a ...feeling? that all is well, that I am loved and considered worthy of HIS attention. Joy.
(I'm veering way off topic now but please just give me liberty, I don't want to have to THINK right now and that is what is required to find a topic to slip this into): But lately, I have been feeling a faith, or rather, a sense that God is helping me. I feel that over the course of the last couple of years, when I really saw that it would be very wise for me to go as far with the Lord as fleshly possible. I remember praying: "GOD, please show me myself. Show me how sinful I really am." And He did. And I entered into that crisis ....state, where I would get terribly depressed and feel totally hopeless at changing one thing about me. And I saw a whole lot that needed/needs to be changed. But I am starting to detect a passion for others, especially those less fortunate. I see a young man walking down the road and he does a quick switch off into the liquor store. And I'm brought to tears because I know that just a few years ago, that was me doing the EXACT same thing. I feel strongly compelled to lift him up before the Lord. "Show me Lord what I must do to help that man". And I'll go for a while in that mode. Then.... I'll get tired of the boredom of sitting around the house and I'll buy me a metal detector....and my focus gets on that. I start researching everything to do with metal detecting....even at the expense of my daily time with God. And brother and sister, I suffer for it. The peace goes. The joy goes. A month later I look over at the metal detector, that was supposed to merely be a pasttime but became an obsession, and i see it for what it really is. A temporary little thing to fill in some time and have a little fun doing it. NOT a THING TO BECOME OBSESSED WITH! I repent, get back in line with my time with God ( He is STILL a jealous God!!!! He doesn't change) And pretty soon, I am enjoying the true happiness that comes when I am in right relationship with Him. I have SO MUCH to learn. SO MUCH of the flesh that has yet to be crucified. But we're getting there. "Ye can do nothing without Me" Jesus STILL says. And I still listen.
  • chipped china likes this

#7 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

Kevin,

I just want to say that I am so blessed by the picture of you and your dog and your words this morning (and every other morning that you post for that matter).

Lori

P.S. I'm also struggling with burnout--I can relate to that scattered brain feeling; although the cause of my burnout isn't for as reasons as altruistic as yours.
  • Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."