Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

I often wonder what is in the heart of people who say, “It’s not about me me, me, or you, you, you!” Are they advocating Buddhism, where we eventually lose all sense of ourselves and where our personalities evaporate into the cosmos?

Perhaps they are saying it’s not about the flesh! Certainly I agree with that! It is good when the old man stays dead. However, the new man is not without a personality. Even Scripture writers added something of their own personalities to the text of the Bible. In fact, the Holy Spirit sought out those He desired according to their natures.

Thus, personality is good, but the flesh is bad. However, it takes a lifetime to sanctify the flesh, and it is done best through the teaching of the Holy Spirit. Often when we try to sanctify another, we end up destroying them in some way.

What then do we do about the flesh, and this ego that rears its ugly head? For one, grace is an instant leveler of pride—it makes us all equal. When we realize that all men are unique, with a special touch from God, we are able to enjoy one another without trying to compete with them. Indeed, where is competition when we understand that no two are alike, and that all of our gifts complement one another?

Thus, I think grace, and a proper understanding of God’s mercy and work in our lives, is the best solution. He knows how to bring us to maturity when we yield to Him. Moreover, we are ALL going to have fleshly days. Therefore I believe we should all receive God’s mercy and grace—extend it to one another, and enjoy the unique personalities and gifts that God has wrought in our brothers and sisters. Then there will be less insecurity amongst us, and less of a desire within us to try to prove ourselves.
  • elizabethcog likes this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hi Lori,
I sense others have said this common remark to you: "It's not about me" or "it's not about you" in response to something said in conversation with you or someone else. I have heard it, said it and there is a feel to the remark that can have a bit of truth to it. This flippant remark can be a way to end a conversation about something someone simply doesn't want to hear. Is that true for you? It's really prideful to think we can put off others by attacking their own flesh. I've been hurt a time or two by this remark. How about you?

Any common phrase in pop culture (which this remark is) tends to be an excuse of some sort or a manipulation of conversation. What do you think?

Candice

#3 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Candice,

I have an effervescent personality. Today I went to the nursing home and I jumped around, smiled, and expressed my joy. However, I have been in church situations in the past when my joy has been met with a cold stare. They accuse me of being fleshly and prideful. It actually helped me in a way because I learned to press in to God. I have also learned how to submit my heart and will to silence. So, it is a good thing. But, I also think it is quite hurtful to feel misunderstood, and I think it is actually more prideful for others to take a superior tone when I'm simply being happy.

I bring it up because it hurts when I see it done to others. I have learned to shrug it off for the most part. However, when I see an enthusiastic Christian express oneself, only to be met by "Get over yourself!" My heart is crushed, for I know that their eagerness has just been met with a verbal baseball bat.

That's why I mention it. I think when any of us feel we have arrived, and we feel entitled to take another down to size, we've actually showcased our own pride rather than identifying it in another. I just think it's really unkind. Love is more important than whether we can get another's behavior under control. Believe me, when Jesus infiltrates a heart, that heart will change without my help.

Hope this makes sense. I'm just grieving over what I see as harm disguised as: Let me help you grow.

Lori
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#4 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Very good thoughts for meditation today. Your first thoughts about Buddhism and eventually losing all sense of self struck a connection in me. If you expect to get what you want in life, even if those things are inherently honorable and don't get them you tend to pull back and not expect so much. Part of that is growing up.. we aren't the center of the universe, part of it is learning discernment and wisdom, and part of it is learning the least we expect the least we have to lose. That's where Christ comes in, He's a sure thing, He'll never leave you or forsake you. Setting your hope on eternal life helps. Mother Teresa said " She is a pencil in His Hand" The old man was gone and Christ lives.

We are all created by the Lord and none of us are junk, it's who we belong to that counts.

So when someone says to me, it's all about me me me. I usually agree and give it up. However, if I'm exclaiming my deep joy over Christ, and offense happens they can stick it. Go Lori!!! HA, The Lord still has lots of work to do with me.
  • Lori Smith and elizabethcog like this

#5 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

I agree with what has been said so far. Jesus took on a body of flesh, and he selected sinners from different stations in life as his twelve closest. Peter, who probably had a quick wit and could make ya belly laugh at the drop of a hat. John and James, who seemed to want special rank and privilege. They even made the other twelve angry with them for their request to be seated at Jesus side when the Kingdom was fully established. Ohhhhh....I really don't know how I can add anything to this. I was trying to make a point but forgot what it was. We have distinct and separate personalities. I am a bit more eager and can sometimes be quite effervescent myself and have seen how other believer's react to it. I suppose they feel that their reputation as a very solemn and very mature Christian is being threatened so they immediately take on the role of WISE SAGE. But then, their personaltiy is different from mine. I must learn to love them. In spite of their unsavory behavior. And not just believers, but everyone within my sphere of influence. I'll try replying to this thread later, when I am able to collect my thoughts better. I am feeling scatterbrained this morning.
  • Lori Smith and chipped china like this

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

What then do we do about the flesh, and this ego that rears its ugly head? For one, grace is an instant leveler of pride—it makes us all equal. When we realize that all men are unique, with a special touch from God, we are able to enjoy one another without trying to compete with them.

Hi Lori,
I keep coming back to this topic you posted because I've said this myself, "It's not about me". Thinking about this, I think it is just pride that motivates the phrase in response to something threatening or causing insecurity in the heart.

I know I have been rebuked for my sense of humor. Sometimes that comes up in times when things are going wrong and my flesh shifts from walking in the SPIRIT to the flesh. It's a kind of default that goes back to high school and farther. This is my pride coming to the surface. But, sometimes, admittedly, it is a way to control a conversation, situation or person. Ugh!

Sincerely, what you say here as a quote is really the very best response - as you well know. It's just activating grace when others default to the flesh isn't it?

Blessings,
Candice
  • Lori Smith and chipped china like this

#7 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Candice,

I agree totally! It all comes down to grace ... we receive it and give it! That was actually the point I was trying to make in a convoluted way.

Betsy,

Amen, God didn't make junk! The One who made the stars knit us together in the womb.

Kevin,

I think the point you made about the apostles is perfect. Look how rough they were around the edges! Jesus called them friends. Thanks for the great example!

Love in Jesus to all,
Lori
  • chipped china likes this