Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

This morning the Lord pointed me to John 10:17-18 which says, “For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. NO ONE TAKES IT FROM ME, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from My Father.”

What the Lord was showing my about this passage is the freedom Jesus has to act, and how our works can’t make Him act. This was freeing for me, because I often allow myself to become burdened by expectations. I think that I must do this or that in God’s Kingdom to get Him to act.

Certainly, our prayers and our efforts get His attention and are part of His plan; however, when we place our faith in these things, we are really placing all of our faith in ourselves. Then we have no rest. Indeed, if it is all up to us, we place ourselves on a perpetual treadmill of do this and do that.

However, when we understand that Jesus came and died for us of his own accord, we realize that He continues to act on our behalf. Indeed, the troubles of this world are in His hands, not our own (although He works through us to meet the world’s needs). Of course He doesn’t always do what we hope He will do—and our prayers are important. But if we’ll look at the effort He made regarding our redemption, we can rest in knowing that He is on our side and will do what’s best in the end.

I also want to add that I am not speaking about the salvation process. Indeed, I am not saying that our actions are meaningless. I am simply saying that the weight of the accomplishment of things is in God’s willing hands. Thus, we can simply enjoy Him, and trust Him do all things good; in our own lives, and in the lives of others.
  • landonmark, elizabethcog, Charles Miles and 2 others like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#2 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Lori,

Thank you for that post. Sometimes I find myself struggling to overcome and the effort simply wears me outphysically and mentally to the point of almost giving up. Such utter frustration just can`t be good for us but we all want to see progress in what we are doing. Sometimes all we get to see is what some of us would call "no change" in the problems that confront us, but His ways are higher than our ways, His thoughts are higher than our thoughts, and His TIME is certainly not our time. Maybe we are simply to "plant the seed" and step away, allowing God to continue in whatever plan He wills.

I am learning this(slowly) and your post reminds me that without the Father, I can do nothing anyway. The quicker I can turn seemingly hopless situations over to Him...the better. After reading your post, I have "turned over" some situations to the Lord, and now I have been blessed with a peace I have not had in weeks. Frustration and worry do not belong in the life of a child of God! Than you again.

In Christ,

Charlie
  • elizabethcog and chipped china like this

#3 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

Thank you Charlie; God bless you. I really appreciate the grace and encouragement you always offer to us.

Lori
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."