• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

The right kind of music (which, incidentally, is not discordant or left hanging at the end without the appropriate resolution) gives enjoyment, uplifts, encourages, inspires, calms and challenges. It has even been known to aid in physical healing. For the Christian Disciple, it is a vehicle for worship, praise, teaching and rejoicing. The lyrics to many hymns help us give expression to much that God has worked into our hearts that we find ourselves unable to articulate. Hymns offer comfort, hope, joy, reasons to trust, assurance, instances of God's faithfulness and provision, as well as His guidance, and they often encourage us that God is in control and knows what He is doing and that it's right. Godly music will be in accord with Scripture. One thing that I hope you, the reader, will never do is to sing the hymns without thinking through the message. For too many, singing of hymns has become a thing that is done as a religious form without much, if any, thought about the message. In Godly music, the instrumentation will not eclipse the message but support it. There's a whole wonderful area of exploration in our hymns. We are even blessed by timeless hymns written hundreds of years ago. As to some of our contemporary Christian(?) music, is it God-centered or man-centered? Is it Scriptural? Does it have sustaining value? Does it motivate Godly behavior and attitudes? Does it have real spiritual meat or a slight taste chewed over and over, ad infinitum; ad nauseum? Does the music enhance the message or is it more of the "ditty" type? Music must not manipulate us but rather it should serve us in the pursuit of living to bring pleasure to God and spiritual growth in our lives. Selah! Try to picture, in your mind's eye, how God might view our music. Thinker (Ron)

"They shall abundantly utter the memory of thy great goodness, and shall sing of thy righteousness;" "While I live will I praise the Lord: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being;" "Sing unto the Lord with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God" (Psalms 145:7; 146:2; 147:7).
  • chipped china likes this

#2 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Ron,

Last year we had a minister from somewhere in Ark(he has moved since then) to visit our church. He is also a concert pianist who discussed the old hymns, their history, the writer, and the circumstances surrounding the songs.....then played them as only a trained concert pianist can play them. It was one of the most worshipful services I have ever attended and I don`t think there was a dry eye in the church at the end of the service. Anyone who can hear the story behind "All is Well With My Soul", listen to a remarkable playng of it, and then sing it while considering the whole situation behind it will have a worship service right there! Several of the other hymns such as "Amazing Grace" also have an almost overwhelming reaction to the story behind the song.

#3 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Yes, that song "It is Well with My Soul" was sung at my late husband's funeral service. Even unbelievers were amazed at the story behind it and humbled, left pondering the LORD even more than the words of the pastor!

The beauty of the Hallelujah Chorus by Handel cannot be outdone yet. Itis repetitive, but worshipful in doing so. Sadly, it is often sung (in NYC, etc.) by secular choir. I won't say any more lest I cause anyone (including myself) to stumble.

Thanks for sharing.

#4 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Speaking of music, and I love music, especially the great anthems of the church. And the hymns,....but what does the word SELAH mean??? I have read several SUPPOSED meanings such as: a musical interlude, or pause. When King David, or the Choir director was singing, did he actually sing the word: SELAAAAAAHHHHH!! Or is it added into the Psalm to show the reader that there was a pause in the music. Or was it added by David (in his psalms) as a word of instruction to the chief choir director???
Or is it even a word that is associated with music???? I have always assumed so since I only saw it in the Psalms. And then later on, in Thinker's threads. By the way, great thread Thinker. I played piano/organ/keyboard at a couple of different churches over the years, and learned the power of music to act upon the emotions. As for it's intended purposes:
I remember, as the pianist at an Assembly of God church, when it was alter time, or getting close, the Pastor would give me the nod and I would slip up to the piano ( a digital Korg, but sounded nice) and I would select Piano/Strings and play some soothing rendition of (Surely the presence of the Lord is in this place) or another of any number of 'alter songs' in my repertoire. And as people would come forward for the laying on of hands to be healed, or filled with the Spirit (hopefully the Spirit and not spirit), or anointed with oil, or standing in the gap for lost loved ones, sometimes the pastor would lead people in singing softly as I played to set the mood.
Sometimes, we would have a travelling Evangelist come in, usually a fiery one who wanted more upbeat music being played in the background: "Abiding in the vine" and "We bring the sacrifice of praise (unto the house of the Lord)" comes to mind. I remember well many alter services lasting an hour and my fingers would be numb. I would pull them up from the keys to shake some blood back into them and the Evangelist would admonish: " Keep playing!!! Keep playing" "He's almost here!!!" Keep playing!" And I'd just keep repeating the chorus tunes over and over and over. Sometimes I'd hit a sour note, and probably slowed God down from showing up, but I couldn't help it. It's hard to play when your hands are cramping. One time I remember thinking: "Well, if He's coming, I wish He'd hurry it up a bit." I was hoping that God had a bit of a sense of humor and was willing to tolerate my facetiousness. Anyway....that's the way it was in the charismatic church that i belonged to about 20 years ago (during the couple of years that I managed to stay sober and get involved with a local church). Anyway, that was music's intended purpose form my view: to set the tone for a move of God's Spirit during the alter coil. I'll never forget the Evangelists yelling: get those hands up saints and worship Jesus!!!!! Some fond memories. Also some memories that made me ask alot of questions.
  • chipped china likes this