Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Therefore rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if you do these things, you shall never fall. (II Peter 1:10)

I am NOT trying to push an agenda. I am not a 5 Point Calvinist. My personal creed had been so influenced (through study) that I cannot help but believe that Christ died for all mankind. There are good points for each side or there would NOT be a schism among believers about this topic.

So please, brothers and sisters, let us PLEASE NOT turn this into a "Calvinist versus Armenian" debate. There are many threads on THAT subject already in the CMA DNA sub-forum.
I simply want to know what this scripture means. From you seasoned Christians, how do I ACTUALLY apply this scripture to my life beginning today.

"Diligence", according to an online dictionary means 'to give steadfast application'. But give steadfast application to what??? If I slam my finger with a hammer, or if someone squeals their tires to pull out in front of me and then drive 20 MPH, am I to withhold my mind and my tongue and demeanor from giving them a HARD LOOK when I happen to get a chance to see them face to face?? I use the 'driving' example because the drivers in my small town really bring it out of me!!! lol

Does it mean "PRAY MORE, STUDY MORE,..."

The Bible promises that I shall never fall IF I "GIVE DILIGENCE TO MAKE MY CALLING AND ELECTION SURE". I mean no disrespect to the Holy Spirit Who inspired Peter to write this sentence. But it seems vague to me.

How do I make my calling and election sure???........so that I will never fall?????
I REALLY look forward to receiving some feedback on this scripture as it has been on my mind for almost a month now. But I cannot get my brain wrapped around it. But then..."But the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (I Corinthians 2:14) I add this, not to imply that I am not God's own, but because I may be guilty of trying to apply human reasoning to this scripture. Even though I now belong to God, I am still quite able to use human reasoning.
  • radar likes this

#2 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Matthew Henry says it best:

2 Peter 1:1-11

Faith unites the weak believer to Christ, as really as it does the strong one, and purifies the heart of one as truly as of another; and every sincere believer is by his faith justified in the sight of God. Faith worketh godliness, and produces effects which no other grace in the soul can do. In Christ all fulness dwells, and pardon, peace, grace, and knowledge, and new principles, are thus given through the Holy Spirit. The promises to those who are partakers of a Divine nature, will cause us to inquire whether we are really renewed in the spirit of our minds; let us turn all these promises into prayers for the transforming and purifying grace of the Holy Spirit. The believer must add knowledge to his virtue, increasing acquaintance with the whole truth and will of God. We must add temperance to knowledge; moderation about worldly things; and add to temperance, patience, or cheerful submission to the will of God. Tribulation worketh patience, whereby we bear all calamities and crosses with silence and submission. To patience we must add godliness: this includes the holy affections and dispositions found in the true worshipper of God; with tender affection to all fellow Christians, who are children of the same Father, servants of the same Master, members of the same family, travellers to the same country, heirs of the same inheritance. Wherefore let Christians labour to attain assurance of their calling, and of their election, by believing and well-doing; and thus carefully to endeavour, is a firm argument of the grace and mercy of God, upholding them so that they shall not utterly fall. Those who are diligent in the work of religion, shall have a triumphant entrance into that everlasting kingdom where Christ reigns, and they shall reign with him for ever and ever; and it is in the practice of every good work that we are to expect entrance to heaven.
  • chipped china likes this

#3 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Thanks Radar!! I like Matthew Henry's commentary.
  • radar likes this

#4 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hi Kevin,
How is your mom??? I pray for her and you time to time as you all come to my thoughts.

1) No one on earth can tell you if you're saved or not.
2) Assurance is via the Holy Spirit and the Word only.
3) Armenian v. Calvinism - don't stumble on these - they are from men, at best.
4) Abide in Christ in prayer and meditation on the Word and He will show you what your "calling" is and your election will be sure. His Word is Christ..."in the beginning was the Word..."
5) Also, freedom from bondage will make your election sure. If you have bondage, you will not have assurance of salvation.Neil Anderson's book "Victory over the Darkness" is great for going through strongholds, etc. May not instantaneously be worked out, but for many, this has been the case. You may have lifetime of assurance immediately.
6) Read II Pet. 10. But, always read the verses before and after for context and application.
6) Here's what William MacDonald's commentary writes. He's a bit easier read than Henry who, in my opinion, is quite loquacious for my short attention span.
"And so Peter exhorts his readers to confirm their call and election......We cnnot make our call and election more sure than they already are; God's eternal purposes can never be thwarted. But we canconfirm them by growing in likeness to the LORD. By manifesting the fruit of the Spirit, we can provide unmistakable evidence that we truly belong to Him. A holy life proves the reality of our salvation. Living a holy life will keep us from stumbling. It is not a question of falling into eternal perdition; the work of Christ delivers us fromt hat. Rather, it refers to falling into sin, disgrace, or disuse. If we fail to progress in divine things, we are in danger of wrecking our lives. But, if we walk in the Spirit, we will be spared from being disqualified for His service. God guards the Christian who moves forward for Him. The peril lies in spiritual idleness and blindness.

With respect to the "driver" example you used: now this is a FUNNY STORY to me - something that "happened" to me this morning. I went to have snow tires put on my car since yesterday I slid off the road, tried to shovel myself out, but finally had to get a tow truck to pull me out. It would have been less expensive to call an ambulance to take me to town!! :angry: So, after my studded tires are put on, I walk to my car and slide out on ice, landing hard on my elbow. It is certainly broken (time will tell, but not keeping me from typing) Thank God! After recovering from nausea and nearly blacking out from pain, I got up, my old black labrador in tow, and went back into the tire shop. I calmly, in the Spirit, told them I fell and that they really ought to salt/sand their lot since cars are running over it all day long melting ice and creating more ice. I thought of James "Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to wrath". However, I called my hustand proceeding to tell him what happened and that they were a "bunch of lazy dummies who would get sued. Some elderly person will fall and die out there". Then, my flesh was mad because I always have to load up the snow tires, go down there and take care of it. IMO that's a man's job. But, I said nothing like that to my husband (because the Spirit would not allow it) and he said he regretted not doing it - thinking that I would not have fallen had he done it. I said "no, the LORD knows. You don't have to do it". Believe me, I wanted to say "yeah". So, the flesh battled, but the LORD won. Sometimes we lose a battle; it's the war that counts.

So, you see, I don't believe I'm not saved because I told my husband what I really thought. But, I was careful not to blow my witness to the guys at the tire shop. It's a small town and word gets around here with only one degree of separation between any one. Although, I really do believe that they knew I was (painfully) upset inside. These things happen because of our nature and "the fall" We respond in the flesh and eventually get to the place where the Spirit of God will temper our temper if we abide. I fail every day, but He is faithful. Think of where you were "back then" and where you are now and thank HIM!

Kevin, I'm praying for you and your mom!
Love, Candice
  • Lori Smith and radar like this

#5 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Kevin,
Also, honestly, if you don't want any replies from me, just say so. No offense will be taken. Not sure if I'm giving you what you seek. I cannot give you, nor can anyone, give you what you deeply seek and need.

#6 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

While surfing the web for scriptural teaching I found this site. http://www.biblebb.com/index.htm You can enter a scripture and it will give you orations from different scholars.
I read this one http://www.biblebb.c...avedbygrace.htm by John Bunyan that was really a blessing.
  • Gordy likes this

#7 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

http://www.biblebb.com/index.htm

http://www.biblebb.c...avedbygrace.htm

Hope this works.

#8 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Candice, I appreciate all of your replies. All of them. I was a bit afraid that people would read into my thread something like: "Oh...poor fellow, still struggling with his salvation I see." When actually, I woke up feeling pretty good about the Lord's and my relationship. I had read that scripture a few nites ago and wanted to get some fellow Christian's take on it. I have all the commentaries. Even Mr. MacDonald's (he's Calvinist by the way, and seemed to interpret that verse from a Calvinistic point of view).
But no matter. Not really important to me at all. What's important is one sister or brother edifying another. And while I admit that I struggle in certain areas of my faith....it is still faith and worth more than gold, according to Peter. When I do my serious, daily, communicating with God.....I KNOW that He hears me. The whole RECONCILIATION thing was all GOD'S idea. He was the one that made the great sacrifice so that we could be reunited with him. I believe this.
But if I have a question, or if I ask for several people for feedback to a certain scripture....I want anyone who wants to reply, to feel totally free to. I don't sit here and whisper under my breathe: "Oh, it's him/her again!" LOL We are just sharing back and forth. And by the way, I SURELY appreciate the prayers for momma and me.
  • elizabethcog, Gordy and radar like this

#9 Thinker

Thinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

Kevin, I have just a few moments so this will be necessarily brief. If you look at Verses 3-9 for context, Peter seems to be saying that the development of these qualities is what gives credence to the validity of our calling and election. In other words, if there's fruit, there's a root. We are called and elect, if God in His foreknowledge knew that we would receive Jesus as Savior and Lord. If we have or will, fruit is inevitable, nourished by the Word in the good soil of Scripture. I agree with you that Christ died for all but it only benefits those who open their lives to receive the gift provided by His sacrifice on Calvary. It's like having great wealth in a bank account. It can only be used when we draw on it. Not a perfect illustration but gives the idea. Sorry for the brevity. Wishing you His Best! Thinker
  • Kate Curry and Charles Miles like this

#10 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thanks Thinker, I appreciate the feedback, no matter how brief. You were able to explain something to me as thoroughly as if you used twice the words. And I fully appreciate that, and I appreciate you. Merry CHRIST ......mas.
  • mark fernandez likes this

#11 scott trickett

scott trickett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Long Beach Christian & Missionary

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Just a note... being married to an Armenian... not an Arminian has made all the difference in my salvation:). The food... literally of their culture alone has a salvific affect on my soul... again i smile.Please note that there is a difference between the two nouns Armenian vs. Arminian... i also found it somewhat amusing in "All For Jesus" p.64 that the same mistake was made. If you ever do get to experience Armenian culture i recemend the Lamajoon... excellent!
Blessings,
scott
  • Kate Curry and Kevin Blankenship like this

#12 michelle34

michelle34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

read colossians1:9 as I pray this for you please pray for me .We have a purpose and God wants everything we touch to be fruitful .Crucifed we Christ .To put our face like flint run for Jesus .This is how I see it .Get passed the darts and Run with the the Gospel .Telling all who will listen .
  • Kevin Blankenship likes this

#13 rickywayne

rickywayne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• Sandy Lake C&MA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

A person is not saved by good works, but by Grace through faith. Paul wrote that we are saved for good works, not by good works (ephesians 2:10). I believe Peter is saying the same thing; that if you truly belong to the Lord Jesus your hard work and faithfulness will prove it, in other words be committed and willing to press on to the upward call, no matter what the outcome or opposition we face down here! God Bless
  • Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#14 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Greetings Ricky,

I think sometimes we complicate things and it's good hear just the simple Truth! Blessings, Betsy

#15 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Yes, I happened to ask this question while going through the valley of doubt. I finally found that source of my problem was NOT whether or not I was "elected" or not. That, by the way, was what was so troubling to me about that scripture.....the "election" part. But since then I have had several good Bible teachers, including the ones who have shared in this thread, clarify for me what was going on. When your living a lukewarm Christian life as I was, where my heart was being divided, it is very difficult to FEEL or even BELIEVE a that my name is indeed written in the Lamb's Book of Life. My own heart was condemning me. And I was taking the part of the True and Righteous Judge. I have this problem sometimes and perhaps others can empathize: What GOD thinks about me, and what I think about me, are sometimes two different things. "But let God be true, and every man a liar." (I am placing ME in the part of 'every man' in that scripture) Many, if not all of the replies here have been instrumental in getting my focus BACK on Jesus, and OFF of ME ME ME. For that, I am VERY grateful.

#16 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I have had many of the same thoughts (issues) as you friend,anymore I just do not have the heart to argue or question much but I know who Jesus is because I choose to believe that He has shown Himself to me through blessings, trials,actions, miracles,aand not least of course His Word(God breathed) I cant even try to guess because I just believe.I love and pray for all the people everyday,He says I should so I do even if I dont humanly like someone(their actions) I will believe I love them cause Jesus says to.Such a peaceful place to not have to figure it all out or try and save everybody,myself included.Peace ,Love and Christ's blessings friend=D
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#17 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

This "election" subject used to bother me, especially as a youth in the Southern Baptist church, but please do not construe this as a complaint toward the Baptists. The problem(for me) was ignorance of the Word. If "election" means the same as being "chosen", then there is very, very good scriptural evidence that it is an actual fact. The first chapter of Jeremiah is an example. God told Jeremiah that he word speak His word to the people, but Jeremiah resisted with some of the same excuses we might even use today....(paraphrase) "I don`t speak well, "I don`t like to get up in front of crowds,"What would I say that would make any difference". God said..."I knew you before you were even made, I watched you grow in your mother`s belly, and it really doesn`t make any difference what YOU want because I have chosen you for a job that I want done, and you will do it".
Here is the deal then, God knew us all before we were born, in fact, He knew us before time began and we are all precious to Him. We all have a purpose, maybe not like Jeremiah, but we do have a purpose in this life. One of them, maybe the main one, is to worship the Father to reflect back to Him at least some of His glory.

Your brother in Christ,

Charlie
  • Thinker likes this

#18 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Kevin,
Also, honestly, if you don't want any replies from me, just say so. No offense will be taken. Not sure if I'm giving you what you seek. I cannot give you, nor can anyone, give you what you deeply seek and need.

Candace, I just caught this post and it embarrassed me. No no....not YOUR fault. But I should have had the Christian courtesy to reply back to someone who took the time to craft such a reply as yours, and one so helpful. Candace...trust me....it was simply an oversite. I sort of put this thread on the back burners at that moment. You posts, threads, replies, and feedback have been extremely helpful to me and as full helpful as any other. Yes, I DO want to hear your feedback. I have learned something, and as ususal (chuckling....sigh) I'm a bit late on the draw. What I learned is: If I am going to start a thread, then I need to be courteous enough, and loving enough to see it through. Ans the same goes for all the other repliers. My deepest apologies. In HIS love, and hopefully WITH HIs love...kevin
  • Thinker likes this

#19 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Therefore rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if you do these things, you shall never fall. (II Peter 1:10)

'If' ye do these things! (See verse 8)
I don't know a whole lot about the extended meaning of that verse, but I believe that one of the ways we can make our calling and election sure is to look for evidences of genuine faith. To me a companion verse might be 2 Cor 13:5 Examine your own selves, whether ye are in the faith; prove your own selves. Or know ye not as to your own selves, that Jesus Christ is in you? unless indeed ye be reprobate.In other words we should examine our selves in light of the Scriptures to see whether Jesus Christ lives in us. For me some of the evidences are the fruit of the Spirit which are mentioned in Gal. 5:22-2Other evidence of genuine faith which seem obvious to me are a hunger and thirst for God. A desire to spend time alone with God in prayer and in His word, allowing God to speak to us and revealing His will for our daily living. And last but not least a love for the Christian brotherhood.
  • Dave Dagwell likes this

#20 tombaker62@gmail.com

tombaker62@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Just starting on the MSP program, and am in the Ordination Track at the Central Pacific District.
  • I am a Pastor

• Stockton Alliance Church

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

HI Kevin,
I struggle also, especially with driving, but I am learning to trust Jesus more. We need to keep asking God to fill us with the Holy Spirit, daily. Our sanctification will not be finished until we are with our Lord and Savior. We need to keep reminding ourselves that our God's sense of time is not our time. He holds the future, and sometimes we need to be slowed down to be able to meditate on Him, or to keep us from being killed by someone running a red light up ahead of us. God knows all. Thank God we don't, and thank God we don't have to judge others, as that is His job. Just remembering that we are in the control of the Almighty God of the Universe, who has our best interest in mind, is where we should focus our minds, especially when we are in any angst producing situation.
Tom