• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

Commercials use "catchy" tunes to lodge in your sub-conscious so that you'll be influenced to buy the product promoted. Super markets often use slow music on Thursday nights so that you'll slow down and see more to buy. On Friday and Saturday, the music is faster. People move faster and make way for other shoppers to carry on the intended cycle. Music can create moods. Martial music motivates to action. Quiet music soothes. These are some ways that music is used to influence us. The danger is that music often bypasses our faculties of discernment and can motivate us in wrong ways. "Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tablets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created" (Ezekiel 28:13). This is commonly thought to allude to Satan aka Lucifer. It is commonly believed that he was at that time the leading musician of Heaven. Any way that we look at it, Satan knows how to use music. Romantic music can be nice. It can also be used to lull a girl into a submissiveness that makes her vulnerable to a guy with wrong intentions. "Nice" music can be hi-jacked to impart wrong concepts. Little by little, good music has eased many undiscerning people into some of the music that we have today that is demeaning and destructive. Some so-called music has influenced illicit sex, drugs and even suicide. Beware of any music where the instrumentation obscures or conceals sinful or shallow lyrics. Selah! A disciple will not allow music to override his Biblically developed Spiritual discernment. He will act on sound principles and not be manipulated emotionally to compromise on holy standards. Tomorrow, Lord willing, we'll look at God-ordained uses of music. Thinker (Ron)
  • Lori Smith likes this

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thinker,

Coming from a less philosophical sense and honing in on the practical, my personal experience with most music is that it is, for me, Satan's way to distract me from truth and reality. Music can create distraction that leads to fantasy which is a lie of Satan. I used to run a lot, even up to about six months ago; but no more. I need music to distract me so I can complete the run. My mind would go everywhere. If I listened to Christian music, it would be better. However, my sinful nature just could take it to a different place. No necessarily horrible thoughts or anything. Just like an imaginary child. Just knew in the Spirit to end it. Satan does put thoughts into our heads. That's biblical. So, I just had to eliminate the stronghold.

Now, I interval train and will listen to some music and watch the news with the sound off. I can't concentrate on both or either, so my mind doesn't go anywhere. It seemed to work. I just focus on the next sprint and look at my watch for the 20 minutes to be over!

#3 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Candice, thanks for sharing your negative experience with music. I can't help thinking what a tragedy it would be not to be able to enjoy the wonderful gift that God gave us in music. I guess almost anything can become a stronghold, and it's good to recognize those when we encounter them. However, as a former artist turned writer, I absolutely cannot imagine life without music. When I used to paint and draw, listening to music would help me imagine the scenes I depicted on the canvas (on a related note, I also believe that imagination is a gift of God as well; without it, there would be no art, poetry, or books; even clothing and machinery could not be designed without the use of imagination). When I spent several years writing a novel, music was essential to creating the right mood conducive for writing each scene. For instance, while working on an action/suspense scene, I would play the soundtracks from some of my favorite action/adventure movies.

Like many things God created for our enjoyment, music can be used for good or evil. The enemy can seek to co-opt it for his own benefit, but we don't have to let him. When listening to music, we can intentionally choose to focus our minds on Christ and even pray that He will help us to do so. For instance, I enjoy love songs and romantic music, and when I listen to it, I often find myself thinking of God's love, imagining that I am singing the song to God or that He is singing to me.

Satan knows how to use music, but let's remember that it was God who created music in the first place. And just as God is pleased when we use the talents He blessed us with, I am sure He is pleased when someone made in His image creates beautiful music for man's enjoyment.

#4 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hi Julie,
I hear what you're saying Sister! I love music and, believe it or not, am in process of writing a Christian novel wherein the music has inspired me for scenes, etc. It has helped me, while on a long run, to visualize scenes, dialogue, mood, etc. I just know that sometimes it is distracting more than helpful.

I guess I've become a bit legalistic. Also, I believe that we have to balance our areas of stumbling as opposed to what is just plain legalism. I think it's fine to listen to all kinds of music, but if it is a stumbling block, then no. My son is 15 years old, and believe me he likes the pop stuff on the radio in the car for the 20 mile ride to school each day. I don't like much of it, but I allow it so I know what he likes and doesn't. It's a teaching opportunity for learning discernment. But, wow, it isn't just the Beatles anymore!
Love, Candice
  • Julie Daube likes this

#5 Thinker

Thinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

Candice, I once asked (at a conference) the speaker, who has made revival a lifetime study, what his thoughts were on contemporary Christian music. His response was enlightening. He believes that persecution is not far off for us. He said that if he were locked up in some unpleasant prison that he would want the older hymns with real Biblical meat in them to help him through that kind of ordeal. He felt that most of the later music would not go very far in sustaining him Spiritually. A helpful test for me has been: Does the music support the message or eclipse it? And do the lyrics present a solid God-centered message or a man-centered one? Those questions aid us in getting the blessing of good current hymns while we don't abandon the time-tested ones. Wishing you His best! Thinker (Ron)
  • Candice likes this

#6 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Actually, Ron, I think a lot of contemorary Christian music is very biblical. Many of the contempory worship song lyrics we sing at church (we also sing the old hyms) are taken right from Scripture. Two of my favorites are Revelation Song and How Great Is our God.

Here is the vdeo of Revelation Song, along with the lyrics:
http://www.bing.com/...RE1&adlt=strict
  • Lori Smith likes this

#7 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Julie and Thinker,
Both of you make fine points. Lots of Christian music is self-centered, i.e. "I", "me" and it's just on the edge of worship. I remember being in church a few years ago and the pastor's wife sant Mandesa's "Jesus Take the Wheel". While Mandesa's voice and the song has beauty, not exactly worship music for that setting (IMO). When the pastor's wife sang it, it reminded me of what you might hear at country bar down the road from me!

If the LORD is the object and subject, then fine. Each should be convinced in his own mind of this. Then, again, our hearts can be worshipping in the midst of any music. Many times, I just listen to others at church singing and I am quiet and blessed to hear them all in worship. I believe the old hymns are great and have been completely abandoned by most churches that I've attended. As Tozer said (I paraphrase). " It used to be that the bible and a hymnal were enough (in the churches). Now it takes a van load of equipment to keep people happy." Please let's not get on me for quoting this!. This is really a minor issue IMO.

I have Bach and Schubert on my cell phone rings. I love classical music and don't find anything offensive in it. But, there are those who may differ and it boils down to avoiding personal stumbling or being a stumbling block in your walk with Christ to someone else.

#8 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Oh, this one is such an example of stumbling.
I like Paul Simon (Simon and Garfunkel) and had a ringback tone on my cell phone of "Mother and Child Reunion". I got so many questioning and borderline judgemental comments on that ringtone! "What song is that??". Of course the question is asked more like "why do you have a secular song on your ringback?" Well, it was just a song I heard while bored in the car ride two hours away. I added it out of sheer boredom. Not led the the Spirit. So, I created a stumbling block and recently removed the song and went back to Bach or Schubert or Christian tunes! Ugh!

#9 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Here's the lyrics to the Paul Simon song which, since this song was popular when I was in high school, it reminded me of my mother who died when I was nine. When I became a believer, that song still has meaning to me, but in an obviously different way. So, you all tell me if this is wrong. I really don't know.

No I would not give you false hope
On this strange and mournful day
But the mother and child reunion
Is only a motion awayOh
Little darling of mine.

I can't for the life of me
Remember a sadder day
I know they say let it be
But it just don't work out that way
And the course of the lifetimes runs
Over and over again.

No I would not give you false hope
On this strange and mournful day
But the mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away

Little darling of mine,

I just can't believe it's so
Though it seems strange to say
I never been laid so low
In such a mysterious way
And the course of a lifetime runs
Over and over again.

But I would not give...

Oh
The mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away
Oh the mother and child reunion
Is only a moment away.

#10 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Candice, I think you need to give yourself a break lol! :) I don't see anything wrong (i.e., sinful, offensive, or objectionable) in those lyrics. And I know plenty of Christians (including my colleagues at the C&MA National Office) who have secular ring tones. Since I don't have a cell phone, that issue doesn't apply to me. However, years ago my husband and used to have the chorus of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" playing in the background on our answering machine. At worst, I think the lyrics are somewhat vapid, but it sure is a catchy tune (we got a lot of complements on it from people who called us).

And by the way, I am a big fan of Art Garfunkle and am not ashamed to say so. ;-)

By the way, Ron, I agree with you that the Lord should be the focus of all worship music, and that it should exalt and magnify the Lord. If it doesn't do that, then something is wrong. On that note, I have found that some contemporary praise music is so vacuous that it is almost an insult to sing it. One such song that comes to mind goes something like this, "These words are from my heart. These words are not made up." It sounds like something a child would write (Oops, I sure hope this isn't the favorite worship song of someone on this board! I apologize if it is.)

#11 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Julie,
LOL here too! Not to be legalistic for my own musical tastes. I don't apologize or hide my liking Paul Simon's music, along with some other secular music. It just makes some people stumble - secular music.

Here, in Wyoming, there's lots of country music floating about with lyrics that are sometimes a bit lusty, drinking-buddy stuff, etc. I had a young guy tell me he stopped listening to it, even though he was a full-fledged cowboy. I told him "whatever, however the Lord leads you. It's not a matter of right or wrong. I'm not the judge here." I just know people here in my larger realm (must be small-town Christian church thing**) will go off on something like this secular piece of music. It's just happened to me. I'm spinning thread off to another topic of similar flavor: "Holy Yoga". This should topic might light up the board; hopefully, so.

**By the way, there are 70 plus churches in a town with a total population of about 17,000 (now). Many of these churches have a grand total of 12 people in regular attendance (not necessarily a bad thing). That should explain a lot!
Smiles