Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • family home church

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

I just put a a 21 pound turkey in the roaster. The distinct aroma of Thanksgiving will soon claim my house. In all my years of making home, I have lost count of how many Thanksgiving feasts I have overseen as chief cook. Forty maybe? Maybe more. Though it sounds like bragging I think I could probably make this meal blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back. I have operated on auto pilot for many years now, never double-check a recipe, never measure anything. Instinct drives this bus.

But in spite of the mindlessness of the process there is one thing that always happens as I chop and stir and add too much sage. I feel an overwhelming humility. I am so very grateful for the years, the tears, the good, the bad, the plentiful, the lean that this day sums up. I am unreservedly thankful for the whole of my life as God has guided me from moment to moment. Everything I am belongs to Him because He shaped me. I have been the clay, He has been the artful potter. I haven’t always yielded quickly to His molding so I am doubly grateful that he did not give up on me.

Today, as we deal with all the things that life throws at us, let us thank Him for all of it even when we don't understand the why of it. Oswald Chambers put it this way:

We are not fundamentally free; external circumstances are not in our hands, they are in God’s hands, the one thing in which we are free is in our personal relationship to God. We are not responsible for the circumstances we are in, but we are responsible for the way we allow those circumstances to affect us; we can either allow them to get on top of us, or we can allow them to transform us into what God wants us to be.

Happy Thanksgiving.

For Christ, Meema

• Lori Smith and chipped china like this

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Meema,
Enjoy what God has obviously blessed you with - a gift to serve, hospitality. Thanks for sharing!
Candice