Persevere, Press On

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 E.J.

E.J.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:A crucified life with Jesus Christ; searching out the mysteries of the love and affections of God in the face of Jesus Christ
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

In the third chapter of Pauls Epistle to the Phillipians, he is encouraging them to press on, press towards the mark. Press towards what mark?

In verse ten, Paul tells us that in order for Him to personally know Christ, in that he might both experience the resurrection power and share in His sufferings, that he be made conformable into Christ death. Paul wants the righteousness of God so he may obtain a personal relationship with Jesus in a day-to-day experience. However, this knowledge and intimacy with the Lord is obtained by experiencing daily problems and needs. Contrary to popular belief, at least as I have witnessed, genuinely knowing and having a heart that burns with passion to know Christ more deeply, as Paul states it, also entails participating in His sufferings. My generation, especailly, knows nothing about suffering and nothing about persevering or "hard work". My generation has everything fed straight to their mouths, they dont have to work for anything. My generation is totally encompassed with the instant gratification that is at their fingertips. We truly know nothing about pressing on and persevering. However, contrary to popular belief, Paul eludes that he actually desires to share in the Lord's sufferings because they bring him into a deeper and more meaningful relationship. Think about the last time you were really grieved, or depressed, or sad because of a personal circumstance you were presented with. Who was there to help you? Who was there to offer kind and gentle words of encouragment? Chances are you have what you would call a "close" relationship with that person. Brothers and sisters, how be it so much more with our beloved Christ! Companionship in sorrow establishes the most intimate and lasting of ties, afflicted hearts cling to each other. That is precisely what Paul means here, that he wants to share in His sufferings, being made conformable unto Him in that his afflicted heart may cling to Christ's.

Remember always, that in those times when your world seems as if it is crashing down before your eyes, you feel you are blinded and confused, the Lord is still as Sovereign as He was yesterday and will be tomorrow and forever. Take those steps and leaps of faith, in that your trust may abound, rejoicing in all things. For we have not a high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin (Hebrews 4:15).

And please forgive me, this post may be a bit long but I came across something that J.C. Ryle said that I found fitting: (in regards to Luke 14:28)

If any reader of this paper really feels that he has counted the cost, and taken up his cross, I bid him persevere and press on. I dare say you often feel your heart faint, and are sorely tempted to give up in despair. Your enemies seem so many, your besetting sins so strong, your friends so few, the way so steep and narrow, you hardly know what to do. But still, I say, persevere and press on.

The time is very short. A few more years of watching and praying, a few more tossings on the sea of this world, a few more deaths and changes, a few more winters and summers, and all will be over. We shall have fought our last battle, and shall need to fight no more.

The presence and company of Christ will make amends for all we suffer here below. When we see as we have been seen, and look back on the journey of life, we shall wonder at our own faintness of heart. We shall marvel that we made so much of our cross, and thought so little of our crown. We shall marvel that in “counting the cost” we could ever doubt on which side the balance of profit lay. Let us take courage. We are not far from home. IT MAY COST MUCH TO BE A TRUE CHRISTIAN AND A CONSISTENT BELIEVER; BUT IT PAYS.”

We must be careful in our Christian walk as not to be earthly minded, for our conversation is in heaven (Phil 3:20). We must earnestly and diligently ask for the strength to overcome the trials and tribulations set before us, holding fast to the promises of our Lord, knowing that these light, momentary afflictions are storing up for us a greater crown of victory. That day lay ahead of us brethren, in which we shall no longer shed a tear, in which we shall no longer be heavy laden with the grief and sorrow of our wicked hearts. That day lay ahead brethren, in which we shall worship our beloved Jesus with the purified heart in which He so humbly and lovingly served us with, but until that day, we shall fight the good fight of faith, laying hold unto eternal salvation.

Just opening for discussion; well I guess thats a little more than opening.......
TO GOD ALONE BE THE GLORY

#2 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

E.J. I think opening up this topic in a new discussion is perfect. The Body of Christ needs edifying but it often also needs reassuring and lifting up. It is our mandate to do that for each other. I'd like to share something I found in a blog called Herescope. I think it confirms what you are saying. It is a quote from J.C. Philpot:

"You are a poor, defenseless sheep, surrounded by wolves, and, as such, need all the care and defense of the good Shepherd. You are a ship in a stormy sea, where winds and waves are all contrary, and therefore need an all-wise and able pilot to take you safe into harbor. It is in this way that we learn that "we are saved by Christ's life."...

If your feet are in this blessed path there is no difficulty that you can meet with beyond the strength of the Lord Jesus Christ to overcome; no temptation can attack you, no trial await you, no enemy assault you – which He cannot defeat. Nor is there a single thing on earth or in hell which can harm you if you are only looking to the Lord Jesus Christ, and deriving supplies of grace and strength out of Him...."

*Excerpted and adapted for blog posting from J.C. Philpot, "Reconciliation and Salvation," Preached at North Street Chapel, Stamford, on May 16, 1858.

• Lori Smith likes this

#3 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

E.J.......an awesomely edifying topic. I am about to go into town and take off the trash and go shopping, And fresh on my mind is your wonderful posts. Starting a new topic about this is, in my opinion, absolutely appropriate!!!!! We just cannot share enough with one another!!!! And I appreciate every share. There is NOT much time to share at church services as the Pastor and "Minister of worship" does all the sharing. There is NO time set aside for the Follower of Christ to build up ONE ANOTHER!!! This forum fills in THAT gap!!!! And is much needed. I don't have a single shred of Seminary training. Never been to college. But I have immersed myself into the Christian classics for the last few years, and am a student of the Holy Bible. Several different versions. I use KJV as a cross reference, so it is part of my arsenal too. May God bless and anoint you today to share more, There is NEVER enough amongst us lay people. And this is certainly not a put down to pastors who frequent this forum. I value their input as well. But I DO think that lay persons input are of equal value.
  • E.J. likes this

#4 E.J.

E.J.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:A crucified life with Jesus Christ; searching out the mysteries of the love and affections of God in the face of Jesus Christ
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Thank you Meema for sharing that, I'm not familiar with J.C. Philpot but I am definately going to save that one to the archive. Truly we are fish, swimming up stream against the current of our culture and society but we shall not fret, for He has overcome the world. And Kevin, I agree with you also. I'm in a position where I am looking for a church myself and it is rather difficult at the moment with my work schedule (work saturday and a double sunday); so it is extremely edifying to be able to shed some of the light each of us has received, share in some form of fellowship with one another and above all; glorify our Risen Christ. I just got back from a Christian bookstore and one of the things I ended up getting was Thomas Watson's Glorifying God devotional. Fitting what November 15 holds;

Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

"We must distinguish between weakness of faith and no faith. A weak faith is true and may receive a strong Christ. A weak hand can tie the knot in marriage as well as a strong one; and a weak eye might have seen the brazen serpent. The woman in the Gospel did but touch Christ's garment and received virtue from Him. It was the touch of faith.

The promise is not made to strong faith, but to true faith. The promise says not whosoever has a giant faith, that can remove mountains, that can stop the mouths of lions, shall be saved; but whosoever believes, be his faith ever so small. Though Christ sometimes chides a weak faith, yet that it may not be discouraged, He makes a promise: 'Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:3)'

Weakest things multiply most; the vine is a weak plant, but it is fruitful. Weak Christians may have strong affections. How strong is the first love, which is after the first planting of faith!

Weak faith may be growing. Seeds spring up by degrees; first the blade, then the ear, then the full corn in the ear. Therefore, be not discouraged. God who would have us receive them who are weak in faith will not Himself refuse them. A weak believer is a member of Christ; and though Christ will cut off rotten members from His body, He will not cut off weak members"

Each and every part of Scripture is the infalliable Word of God and we must hold onto each and every verse for which as they are....PROMISES. Blessed are the poor in spirit the Lord says, for ours is the kingdom of heaven!!!! The Lord shall never turn away a weak, broken and contrite spirit, for in our weaknesses, His strength and glorification is manifested through us. For He will oppress the self-righteous, those proud in heart, those who contend with God for His supremacy. Brothers, sisters; let us deny ourselves, for our lives are hidden with Christ!!!!!

#5 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

This is one of the scriptures that builds me up and encourages my perseverance. I would like to please God and receive a crown of righteousness. I think our Father instilled that in our beings. God's love is perfect so whether in His peace or His discipline it all works for our good and for those around us.

I pray for Christ's return. I want to be with Him where there will be no more tears and sin. Sometimes I'm impatient with Him because there is so much suffering on this earth. I figure He'll return for us when the last believer is saved.

2 Timothy 4

King James Version (KJV)

4 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

• Lori Smith likes this