• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Both Tozer and his wife battled depression. Tozer once told his younger assistant pastor, Raymond McAfee, "If you want to be happy, never ask for the gift of discernment."
Just opening this up for discussion.
Candice
  • Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#2 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

(Ecclesiastes 1:18) For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

I’ve been reading in this forum for many months. I have greatly enjoyed and been sometimes comforted, often edified by the true Christian perspectives exchanged here, which is rare in this age. I do not subscribe to any particular man-made doctrine. I’m just a follower of Christ. I have been on spiritual quest most of my life, seeking Him, desiring to know Him. I’ve had periods where I was stagnant and more involved with worldly things than Christ’s interests. I’ve had periods of profound immersion in the study of the Word and then subsequent increase in knowledge and spiritual growth. Ebb and flow, mountains and valleys. Blindness and unfathomable insight.

I depend on the timeless wisdom of the older icons of the faith, Havner, Tozer, Chambers and a half dozen others to keep my footfalls on the narrow path. It is narrow you know. And sometimes you come to a fork in the road and you have to choose one way or the other to continue. One path points to growth, the other status quo. I reached one of those forks two years ago and took the road that required I let go of some baggage before continuing. Even though I have no serious devotion to any particular doctrine, and, in fact, am quite ignorant in respect to definitions of terms, like “Calvanism” or “predestination” apparently I did have some imbedded concepts that I had to abandon in order to procede. I can’t claim to have shaken everything as I began but I was willing to drop things off along the way. And drop they did.

One step and then another. One question answered leads to five more asked. Things started coming too fast and I couldn’t process it all. I had to quit for a few weeks and then God would put something in front of me and I could not resist the call to know and I’d be off again.

He wants us to know. He wants us to ask. But there are consequences to increased spiritual knowledge. Sorrow comes from wisdom because it separates you. First, you lose affection for worldly things and this separates you from the world in general. Your heart and mind no longer finds joy in anything that isn’t Christ. But most of all, you find yourself isolated because you realize that you are a minority unable to tell the truths you have gained because the majority simply does not want to hear it.

Name a true prophet of God who did not live in a constant state of anguish. Indeed, our joy is in Christ, not in this world.

(2 Corinthians 5:4) For indeed we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened; not for that we would be unclothed, but that we would be clothed upon, that what is mortal may be swallowed up of life. (5:5) Now he that wrought us for this very thing is God, who gave unto us the earnest of the Spirit. (5:6) Being therefore always of good courage, and knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord (5:7) (for we walk by faith, not by sight); (5:8) we are of good courage, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord. (5:9) Wherefore also we make it our aim, whether at home or absent, to be well-pleasing unto him.

I just wanted to share this, to let you all know how much I appreciate this small Christian oasis in the desert that is modern apostate Christianity.

• Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog and 1 other like this

#3 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

First, thanks for a great topic Candice!!!! Excellent subject which ought to, and already has produced some awesome replies.
Meema....that was an awesome First Post. And WELCOME by the way. Glad to have another sister in Christ amongst our ranks. Your depth of insight and ability to communicate it is wonderful. Your FIRST paragraph....about ebbs and flows....and becoming stagnant, or more involved......that's ME right there. But I am becaoming a LITTLE better at staying focused on Christ during the low tides of 'feeling really spiritual'. But I also depend quite a bit on my hobbies to provide ZEST during those stagnant times. Metal detecting, fishing, reading, etc etc. Thanks for saying all of that. I don't feel alone now. And I keep praying that God will give me a heart for Jesus and Him Only. And that my everyday life will glorify Him. And that my deepest joy will be through the satisfaction of an intimate relationship with Jesus. In other words....I think that the goal has become clearer, yet I stumble and bumble along in the general direction of the Goal: To know Him!!
And back to Candace's thread subject: I also read where Charles Hadden Spurgeon suffered from these bouts of deep depression. I think that there is some significance to these diagnosis. I must admit that I dip down into those terribly......blue? ...periods where I just feel like an organism that breathes and eats. And it's during those times that I cry out to God. "God!! I simply MUST KNOW that my name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life!!!" and I had rather die than finish out this life not being SURE that I belong to YOU." Now many of the more seasoned theologians may feel compelled to react to my reaction by saying that I am complicating this and that it is not necessary to do so.
But I really like the scripture verse that Meema started her post out with from the book of Ecclesiates: "For in much wisdom is much grief." I have actually been watching my interest in my LOVED HOBBIES subside to where many times I'll ask myself and maybe God: "Why, exactly, do I enjoy doing this?" after I have spent two or three hours swinging a metal detector over an old homesite. And even finding a few nice relics and old silver coins, if i started off feeling empty, even after being succesful at my hobby, I still feel JUST AS empty inside. Not that metal detecting is a "sin" in and of itself. But the more I learn about : "He that wants to follow me must lay down His life....." (my paraphrase) Anyway....just my thoughts this morning.
  • chipped china likes this

#4 ladyharley

ladyharley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Reading, riding motorcycles, ministering to motorcyclists, teaching Bible study classes, keeping our granddaughter,
  • I am a Layperson

• Faith Assebly of God

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

It is true that life is journey, and that journey includes ups and downs. I like the quote 'Life is a series of interuptions. It's what you do with them that counts.' Being brought up in an alcoholic home and no Christian teaching and lots of conflict made being a leader difficult at times. I HATED conflict and did whatever I could do avoid it, such as take all the blame, tried to be perfect (impossible) and whatever else I could do to avoid any confrontation. This did not help me one bit. One day God led me to this quote. It opened my eyes.... I can never be perfect enough, do enough right things, I am not the one to blame every time there is conflict. WOW..what a revelation. Then God began taking me on a journey in leadership in how to handle conflict... as I look back on the last 12 years as a leader in our ministry, I can see how God has been working on me in this area. He has led me to many great Bible stuides, Bait of Satan, Under Cover, and the study of the temperaments, to name a few, along with just reading and studying the Bible and dealing with family life and children. I have not arrived, but I have grown in this area. I give God the glory for what He has done as He has worked in my life.
Thanks for the postings.. I, too, love Tozer. He is so deep..

I can understand why some of the great classic theologians were depressed. Just think about when dealing with some ofyou friends as issues come up in life. Their responses many times are all about self and against the Bible. And, when confronted with the truth from the Word, they don't necessarily believe it as they say. Many say they wantto grow, but don't really want to grow because it takes work and many times pain and suffering. When strengthening a muscle, it really hurts at the beginning of the exercise, but after time it grows stronger and it doesn't hurt...same with growing in Christ. When faced with something God has put His finger on, it usually hurts. I call it a spiritual spanking. It is not fun. But, after praying and thinking about it, you have to agree with God that you need to clean up that area to grow and change become more like Christ.

Praise His Name.

#5 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome. Kevin I am especially fond of your posts because you are so honest and earnest. I also understand where you are because I was the principal caretaker for my mother-in-law as she declined into the abyss of Alzheimer’s. No one can possibly know what this experience means unless one has lived it. I salute your dedication. You clearly have the right attitude, but if you also believed that you were appointed to the task because He knows you could you be comforted by that? He knows you, inside and out, upside down and backwards. There is nothing you can do or not do outwardly that matters more than the good stuff inside your heart, which He knows even better than you do.

We want to be perfect but we have no idea what that means. We have vague notions and worldly definitions for concepts like good, right, holy, perfect, but, in truth, we cannot see what He sees or know what He knows. This is the snare that stops people from falling into Christ. This idea that we can define God and how HE ought to be and think based on our human concepts of right and wrong. I can dismiss all of this with a single sentence. He is the Supreme Designer of all things so He gets to make the rules, whether we like them or not.

Kevin, if you could but embrace Oswald Chambers’ philosophy that we should stop asking for God’s will and simple start being God’s will, trusting that He can certainly do with/through/by us anything He chooses. Even those who are not open vessels get used by God, Imagine how much easier it is for Him to use us when we are willing.

Don’t fret over the small things you enjoy. I have an artist’s nature and I am a lover of words and therefore I am a writer and I love these things. I have pursued several different careers based on these God given propensities. I simply told Him to use whatever skills I have gained via my interests to His good purpose. Everything I do belongs to Him. I am curious so I trust Him to guide me to things to learn. Enjoy your pastimes and hobbies and ask Him to use them if He wills. Perhaps someday you can feed a hungry man with a fish you caught or find a valuable item for someone.

If everything about your life is dedicated to Him, you should be able to trust that when you step out in faith and trust, He will either make a a step for you to continue or stop you. I am not omnipotent as He is, so I can’t always know if I am doing the right thing or not, but He knows and I trust Him completely to use it or end it. And I’ve had that happen, stopping me in my tracks, which feels like a hug from a loving, concerned, devoted parent.

We may not trust ourselves but we can certainly trust Him, and that’s another teaching by Chambers that sometimes we think we are doubtful about ourselves when we are really doubtful that God can or will count us. The simplest truth is often the best: No matter what we do, we cannot thwart God. Not possible. Rest in that. You have enough of the Word in you to be able to test whether a thought or action is willful or self-interested, or has a hidden agenda. If, in everything you do, you praise and honor Him and desire for Him to be glorified, you are sealed! :-)

• Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog, chipped china and 1 other like this

#6 E.J.

E.J.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:A crucified life with Jesus Christ; searching out the mysteries of the love and affections of God in the face of Jesus Christ
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

I have been reading and checking in on this forum over the past few weeks, just as Candice noted, it is truly encouraging to hear about men and women seeking to live out Christ-centered lives. This particular topic and the initial quote from Candice on Tozer "hit home" so to speak. When the Lord so graciously called me into communion with Him, less than two years ago, I began pleading with the Lord that He would grant me the gift of discernment. Being the babe that I am in Christ, I knew not what I was asking for, but I felt compelled. I am sustained in His grace, and He has given me the courage and strength to walk on the path that He has set before me, the narrow path. I began to love the things I once hated and hate the things I once loved. However, over the past few weeks, my heart has grown sorrowful and dull, where at times I may feel alone and empty. Our initial reaction is to always take it upon ourselves to "fix" the problem, but we must remember that the identity we may be looking for cannot be found in ourselves or this world, our identity is in Christ, our conversation in heaven. I wrote down one of my prayers (as I read Psalm 51), and thought it may be helpful to others, so join me if you will as we cry out for mercy from our Sovereign God:

Blessed be the name of the Lord! O that Your glory would be manifested in the hearts of Your children. Restore unto me the joy of my salvation Lord, as I cry with Psalmist, that thy sins are ever before me. O Father, that You would direct my heart to the love of Christ, that You would most assuredly be the anchor of my being. That I may be rooted and grounded in Your love. Wash me, O Father, thoroughly, with the precious blood of my Jesus! I want my heart to burn within me, that You would create in me a clean heart. In what seems a prevailing godless generation, let not my soul be tempted with the temporal. Guard my heart, O Lord, for You are a mighty fortress. In You I seek refuge, let not the garments be torn. Indeed Father, the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. My soul leapeth for joy, that You have most graciously, awakened thee unto Your calling as the beloved. O that I would spend the rest of my days seeking the affections of Your love. That I would spend the rest of my days boasting of Your mercies, seeking out the mysterious love that You have for poor, helpless sinners such as me. Renew in me, O God, a passion to read Your Word, that indeed, You are the Gospel. May He, the Holy Spirit, be the Light that illuminates my heart to the hidden truths buried deep within the pages of scripture, that every page point to the glory of Christ. My foundation is secure upon You, protect thee with Your rod and staff; for I am weak, easily led astray; may I have ears to hear only Your calling. I am sustained in Your grace, for I am at Your disposal. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

#7 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

I just want to say thank you for starting this post. The discussion here is like a GPS; it reminds me of the peace I had a few months ago but lost. I've been asking God how to return to the oasis of His presence. All things in my life lately have been chaotic, but words here show me the way home. Thanks for answering my prayers. Jesus is enough ... He can teach and guide.

Shalom
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#8 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

It seem that an important issue has been brought to light. As has been pointed out, along with things like discernment and depth in our relationship with God, there are what are perceived as negative side-effects like depression. In thinking about this, there are a couple thoughts that come to mind. First of all is a cycle where as we come closer to God and He starts to transform our lives, we begin to see the reality of the world in which we live. That realization has an impact on us which can cause depression, righteous anger and the likes. I believe that God allows this because in turn, this can be a driving force to help us to press in even farther and continue deepening our relationship and dependence on Him. The hard truth of it is that this is a grace shown to us by God, like Paul's thorn in the flesh. Though it can cause us pain, suffering and hardship, it can also be a blessing in disguise if we can learn how to use it to our benefit.

Secondly, I believe there is a misnomer among many believers that when we are in a right relationships with God that things like depression have no place in a believers life. Because of this false idea, many believers try to hide the fact that they struggle with depression and the likes. It seems that this is a lie breeding more lies. Part of what it means to be a body is that the members strengthen and lift each other up. But when members pretend to be strong when in reality they are suffering, aren't they dragging the rest of the body down by not allowing others to help carry the load? It seems that this can prevent unity and has the tendency of preventing those with potential from stepping into their potential.

#9 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Well it seems God has answered ANOTHER prayer,thank you for your honesty all, I am so right there,as i dwell more in Jesus and seek him and his leading I find such strength and courage while at the same time struggle with depression. It seems the things of this world matter so little to me and at times I find this troubling and I want to care about fashion and possessions and it is like I force myself to try but it is false,there is just not much pleasure in the fleeting temporary things anymore and I feel so out of sorts in that respect but things that bring God front and center make me so happy and full of joy. My husband and I are no longer at the church we still love and pray for but after over a year of our human trying and begging God to let us fit in there we finally just answered his call that so clearly led us to get up out of our assigned pew and follow Jesus,even though most at the church do not get it and frankly neither do we at times,but we know Jesus and trust Jesus and cannot just sit and be lukewarm another second not after all He does for us,when you pray set my soul on fire Lord be ready cause He will hear that prayer at times even before you know that is your prayer and in his mighty loving merciful leading spark that ember=)
  • Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#10 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Each of you has glorified God with your words. We are the Church, Christ on earth. Is that a marvelous, miraculous statement????!!!!! Everyone of you uplifted and edified me by proclaiming the end goal is to know Him and be molded daily into His likeness. We were made by Him and for Him. I cling to that knowledge because it buffers things that happen in this life, and causes me to want to love and please Him.

Hebrews 10 wraps up the gift Jesus gave us on the cross. There is nothing else to be done for our sins and shortcomings. We are forgiven. It is finished!

16 (D)“This is the covenant that I will make with them
in the days to come, says the Lord:
I will put my laws in their hearts
and write them on their minds.”

17 (E)And then he says, “I will not remember their sins and evil deeds any longer.” 18 So when these have been forgiven, an offering to take away sins is no longer needed.

19 We have, then, my friends, complete freedom to go into the Most Holy Place by means of the death of Jesus.

And when we know this kind of love, we can be transparent to others and allow them to be transparent with us.

We are each given a measure of faith. Sometimes when I don't think the Lord gave me enough (HA) I decide I'm just going to trust Him. It's when I get scared that I mess things up.

Oh Lord, how I love the Church!

• Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship and elizabethcog like this

#11 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

Paul said that he learned to be all things to all people. I think part of what that means is that there are times where we choose to do things that have lost value for us. We do them not because they are things we necessarily want to do, but instead so that we can meet people where they are at. When we meet people in their comfort zone, they tend to be more open, receptive and honest. Plus when we do this, I have noticed that God will help us to find value in those things that hold no value for us. but the value we find is in the eternal instead of in the carnal.

For me the verse that says, "wherever two or three are gathered in my name, I am there", is talking about the church. The church isn't about the buildings or the programs, but instead about the people. As we come together with others, inviting God into the situations, we become the church and the church becomes us. In this way the Body of Christ stops being about bricks and mortar, but instead becomes a living breathing entity, constantly moving and constantly evolving.
  • Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog and chipped china like this

#12 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

Some consider depression the direct result of being negative and it is assumed that all one must do to counter depression is to “be happy!” and “think positive thoughts!” I am not a negative person. I never look at whether my glass is half full or half empty; have always been grateful for whatever is in the glass, even a drop. The depression I feel is not physical - it is most certainly spiritual. My spirit is grieving for those who simply refuse to see and hear. I am "positive" that we are in the last days and this reality is somber and should not be ignored nor set aside just because it is a downer. It comes down to this: people would rather cling to their comfort zones than surrender SELF to Christ. So, self rules, that which satisfies self, accommodates and soothes self interest and this often manifests itself as self-righteousness, born of goodness redefined to suit self.

I was recently challenged by the question,”what is the will of God?” I “discerned” this was loaded with the hope of launching a debate regarding a false doctrine that is rapidly growing nowadays. I ignored the bait and gave my response, which the other person then interpreted to suit her own determination anyway but she had no place to go to defend her position because what I offered was a glass full to the top.

I said:

To answer the question, “what is God’s will?” I offer the only answer that satisfies me. It won’t work for others, I understand. But I post it, revealing what I have held in my heart for a long time, praying that, if it comforts someone else, if it gives peace and a place where the noise is turned off, to be able to rest in Him, He will use it to His good purpose.

(John 3:16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

FOR GOD, Holy, Sovereign, Mysterious, Unfathomable Creator of all things, the earth, the heavens, and the Rules, even if we don’t agree with or like them. What child likes his/her parent’s rules?

SO LOVED THE WORLD, all mankind, as any father loves his creations (children).

THAT HE GAVE, He devised the only way the sins of man (as defined by His Rules) could be erased, opening the way for a fallen, reprobated mankind to be reconciled to Himself and then He offered The Way as a gift without price.

HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, the Lamb of God, the Word, the Messiah, the Alpha and Omega, the Savior, The Redeemer, The Light of the world, the Bread of Life. The only One worthy, blameless, sinless, to be the final sacrifice for man’s sins.

THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH ON HIM, whosoever, anyone, (Romans 1:16) For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (1:17) For therein is revealed a righteousness of God from faith unto faith: as it is written, But the righteous shall live by faith. True faith asks few questions.

SHOULD NOT PERISH, should (auxiliary verb qualified by whosoever makes the free will choice to believe) not come to an end, die (away), disappear, vanish, fade, dissolve, evaporate, melt away, wither.

BUT HAVE ETERNAL LIFE, (Romans 10:6) But the righteousness which is of faith saith thus, Say not in thy heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down:) (10:7) or, Who shall descend into the abyss? (That is, to bring Christ up from the dead.) (10:8) But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach: (10:9) because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus [as] Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Again, the ongoing problem is not that we ask questions (to gain discernment) but rather that we ask the wrong questions. If we do not ask correctly, how can we expect to be answered correctly? Instead of asking what is God’s will, which is loaded with presumption, perhaps we should ask, “What is Your will for me, Father? How can I be Your will today, right now, without questioning why?”

(Romans 9:20) Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus? (9:21) Or hath not the potter a right over the clay, from the same lump to make one part a vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor?

• Lori Smith and Kevin Blankenship like this

#13 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

I tried to press the LIKE THIS POST button on all of the post in this thread, but a message popped up that said: ("You have reached your quota of positive feedback today") Or something to that effect. But let me be clear. I like them ALL!!! Lady Harley, I will have to LIKE yours tomorrow, when I get a fresh batch of "Likes". But I loved what you wrote. As I did the others. How can we as Christians, feel alone (though sometimes we do) when we have so many of us (on this forum) who so clearly understand one another!!! We REALLY ARE ONE in Christ!!! I see this as a testimony that my name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life and I SURE like waking up to the knowledge that I seem to have finally found a place to fit in!!!!! Where others are concerned about the things that I am concerned with. It's almost like Jesus Himself posted on here and says: "I am still with you through those dark and lonely times......I had them too!" Jesus had them too!!! I really believe that!!! He was fully human....fully God. But the "fully human' aspect probably felt utter and total rejection. Especially his last few minutes on this earth, after doing NOTHING BUT GOOD DEEDS AND TRYING TO SAVE AND HEAL AND LOVE AS MANY AS HE COULD!!!!! And Jesus was STILL rejected and must have felt awful hurt as the people cried CRUCIFY HIM!!!! The ultimate rejection. CRUCIFY HIM!!!!! Nevertheless, "for the joy set before Him, He ENDURED the cross" But to add to his awful physical agony, the agony of feeling totally alone and forsaken!! That is a meditation that is not pleasant but that is very likely healthy to the spirit. And one day (soon I hope) we will be "changed, in the twinkling of an eye" and our worldy sorrows and concerns will vanish in an instant. And eternal bliss will be our reward. Because we "overcame by the Blood of the Lamb and by the word of our testimony.". What a wonderful experience to look forward too.
Everyone's post has cheered me back up this morning and makes me just want to back away from the computer and begin thanking and praising God for the Church ( each of us). And for the Blessed Hope of the resurrection. Love y'all.
  • Lori Smith and elizabethcog like this

#14 E.J.

E.J.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:A crucified life with Jesus Christ; searching out the mysteries of the love and affections of God in the face of Jesus Christ
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

Kevin,

As I realize now, I should have just posted a reply on this discernment forum but instead I started another Deeper Life topic, Persevere, Press On. I think it would also be helpful and encouraging to you.
  • Kevin Blankenship likes this

#15 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

I just want to add more thanks to all of you who are helping me so much. Each and every one of you have helped me repent and change course. The path I was on turned the sweetness the Lord had given me into bitterness. Sorrow and grieving over the direction of the world is good, but my bitterness was not. In response, the LORD reminded me of His name Jehovah Rapha. I did not know what it meant. This is what I discovered on Bible.org:

Exodus 15:26 gives us the revelation of the name Jehovah Rapha. God says in the last part of the verse, "...I the Lord Am Your Healer." Literally, I am Jehovah-Rapha, the Lord Who makes bitter things sweet.

The name Jehovah-Rapha is a name that speaks to us and our need today. We live in a stressful world and society. Every day new problems confront us and we bend under the load of seemingly unsolvable problems. How can Jehovah-Rapha bring healing to a sick world?

The LORD used each of you to bring my healing, to help me repent and change course, and to turn my bitterness back into sweetness. Thank you so very much; I also want to apologize for a measure of contentiousness in my spirit of late. I have resurrendered, and I'm back to walking in faith. The sweetness is returning, and my bitterness has turned to sorrow for the world. I have optimism that God is still God, and I wait for the Lord's return.

• elizabethcog likes this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#16 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

My heart is lifted to hear so much agreement in the Spirit here. So many are silent out there and I just hope more will see, join and not fear speaking up about the deeper life for everyone.

Grief/Depression - if we can grieve the Spirit of God, then isn't that real grief? Isn't it depression? Can't the Spirit of God become grieved over our sins, our attitudes, our doubts and our lameness? We walk and He forgives our stumbling along. But, I find it comforting to know that we are made in His image and that includes sharing grief!

You are all so beloved!
Candice
  • Lori Smith and elizabethcog like this

#17 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

. Thank you so very much; I also want to apologize for a measure of contentiousness in my spirit of late. I have resurrendered, and I'm back to walking in faith. The sweetness is returning, and my bitterness has turned to sorrow for the world. I have optimism that God is still God, and I wait for the Lord's return

Hi Lori,
You didn't seem to have any contentiousness of spirit in my own perception of your inputs here. I just sensed the familiar sigh, head shake and looking up!
Candice
  • Lori Smith likes this

#18 E.J.

E.J.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Amen Candice, as for myself, I sometimes shy away from witnessing or sharing some of the light the Lord has bestowed upon me for fear of looking foolish or quite often, being ackward. But last time I checked, there is no record of anyone ever dying from awkwardness. Furthermore, we must not be timid or afraid to talk about the "tough" truths as well, i.e.; sin, hell, temptation, lust, contrasting ourselves to the pure majesty and holiness of God and so forth. If we are to be true disciples, we must be willing to teach the totality of the Gospel. In what Tozer titled, "Living Christ's Ethics Requires His Power", speaking on Matthew 28:19-20; he said:

"The teachings of Jesus belong to the church, not to society. In society is sin and sin is hostility to God. Christ did not teach that He would impose His teachings upon a fallen world. He called His disciples to Him and taught them, and everywhere throughout His teachings there is the overt or implied idea that His followers will constitute an unpopular minority group in an actively hostile world. The divine procedure is to go into the world of fallen men, preach to them the necessity to repent and become disciples of Christ and, after making disciples, to teach them the ethics of Jesus, which Christ called all things whatsoever I have commanded you. The ethics of Jesus cannot be obeyed or even understood until the life of God has come to the heart of a man in the miracle of the new birth. The righteousness of the law is fulfilled in them who walk in the Spirit. Christ lives again in His redeemed follower the life He lived in Judea; for righteousness can never be divorced from its source, which is Jesus Christ Himself"

May the wisdom of God abound in you all!

To God Alone Be The Glory
  • Lori Smith likes this

#19 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

I like what Kevin said about "the joy that was set before Him"... Awhile back, I had some difficult times, and some serious questions. The day I found the scripture Kevin quoted was a glorious day indeed. Not that I had never seen and read that passage many times before, but that day Holy Spirit "turned on the light". I actually am the joy Christ saw set before Him and you are the joy He saw set before Him!!! Brothers and sisters, He saw us all the way down through the ages and it gave Him joy to die for our sin problem...we couldn`t fix it, but He could and did! What could I say after that revelation?? The sin problem has been solved once for all and after solving it Christ SAT DOWN at the right hand of the Father. He solved it and then SAT DOWN. Work finished, nothing else needed to defeat sin. When I accepted that fact, my personal sin problem was solved, I was set free, and my worrying about life`s twists and turns simply left.
I still have hurtles to jump and difficulties to overcome, but I simply turned them over to the Son of God who knew me since time began. What a relief!
Depression used to be a constant companion for me, but no more! If depression is, in part, loss of hope and decreased feelings of self worth, then I can re-read this scripture and know for a fact that Christ thought I was worth enough to die for me. He, in fact, considered it a joy to die for me! Who am I to argue with the Son of God about what I am worth? Loss of hope? He just gave me all the hope anyone can possibly obtain and much more than I can even understand...but I will take the gift and rejoice in it.

In Christ,

Charlie
  • Lori Smith likes this