#1 Janet Root

Janet Root

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

A couple serving with CAMA (Compassion and Mercy Associates) in Guinea, West Africa, describes the resurgence of a devil society that promotes evil, traditional practices in the community in which they serve. Here is an adapted excerpt from their letter of this week, pleading with us to pray.

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned. (Isaiah 9:2).

God has impressed this verse on my heart; my prayer for this year is that many in N’zao and the surrounding areas will come to know the Light and be released from the grip of death.

While we always know that we fight a spiritual battle, since returning to Africa from home assignment in the fall, we have repeatedly—and vividly—been made aware of this battle.

The prominent religion in N’zao has been the devil society that dominates by fear. In order to join the devil society, boys are “tattooed” and girls are excised (female circumcision). A statistic we heard this year is that of 35 young girls taken from the city near us to be excised, only 7 survived.

Victory and Setback
In the early 90s, two believers confronted the bush society in N’zao, and God gave them the victory. After the chief "devil" converted, the "devil" did not return to visit. However, in recent months the bush society has reorganized in this community.

Recently, the "devil" visited town. For several weeks, a flute was heard playing in the distance; it is considered sacred to the “devil” and is used during the initiation ceremony when children are taken into the sacred forest to be tattooed. They are told by everyone, including their own parents, how wonderful the forest is and how much fun everyone has there.

The night before the initiation there is a big party in the village, and the flute plays all night long. The next morning the children are herded to the forest, then held down and forced to undergo a procedure that leaves them screaming in pain and covered with blood. (The lucky ones are those who don’t bleed to death, or catch infections or HIV from the unsterile instruments.) The boys’ “tattoos” are the scars left from their wounds. (This type of tattooing is known as “scarification”—permanent body modification through etching, burning, or superficially cutting designs, pictures, or words into the skin.)

The "Devil" Gives Birth
The initiates remain in the forest until their wounds have healed. (During this time they do nothing but sit and recover.) The flute continues to play, accompanied by singing to mask the cries of pain. Finally, the children are led back to the village in another nighttime processional to another all-night party. Their graduation from the bush society is celebrated as "the devil giving birth." Sadly, these young people proudly proclaim themselves to be children of the devil.

Some of those participating in this ceremony will find themselves in church on Sunday. Fearing the power of the “devil,” they continue to submit themselves and their children to his rites. They know he is powerful.

Please pray:

For believers in N’zao—that their eyes would be opened to the evils of this practice; that they would know the power of our God, who has already defeated Satan and all of his minions. Pray that they will learn to trust Him and have wisdom to know how and when to confront these wicked practices.

For us—that we would daily put on our spiritual armor and stand firm. Pray also that God will give us wisdom and discernment to understand when we are under attack and to know how to respond.

For our health—in recent months we have been almost constantly sick; not with anything major, just colds and small ailments that keep us from operating at 100 percent. Many of the staff members here have struggled with health issues as well.

Thank you for praying with us!

#2 Laurie Collett

Laurie Collett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Born-again Christian since 4/17/2000. Retired MD neurologist (Laurie Barclay), medical writer. Theatrical ballroom dancer, performer & owner of Rhapsody Ballroom, Tampa, with husband Richard. Adult Bible study teacher. Singer/Christian songwriter.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Fellowship Baptist Church

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

Our prayers are with you for safety and deliverance of the children, for the work of the devil to cease as the truth of God's love prevails, for you to put on the whole armor of God and stand firm in this spiritual warfare, and for your health and safety. May God bless, keep and protect you.

Laurie Collett, Saved by Grace
http://savedbygraceb...y.blogspot.com/

#3 Elizabeth May

Elizabeth May

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Ormond Beach Alliance

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:23 AM