• 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 28 December 2020 - 04:07 PM

Seems as if the board here has been abandoned. I do so hate that and kinda feel a loss for friends who often shared stories about lives that really matter. I will agree that life is way too short for brothers and sisters to sit at a table and be lectured...about anything. We all have something to share and that thing may be just what another is waiting to hear.

Has this sort of situation arisen before? Of course it has. The response is certainly not always the same, but different people and different times often lead to different responses. I was listening to Robbie Z last night and he made an "eye opening" remark. "History does not change. It is the same thing(on different levels) happening over and over again. Just happening to different people"! 

How about a comment on that from some serious brothers and sisters? There is only one event in world history that is totally unique and demands a response from us all. In my life I have seen several different responses and only one response makes any sense at all.

Your Brother In Christ,

Charlie

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 December 2020 - 05:27 PM

Hello Charles!  I was pleasantly surprised to see your topic pop up in my email this morning and want to take time to reply.  I miss this forum too, and it is sad it's been abandoned for whatever reasons by many.  Thank you too for praying for Hannah who has Burkitt's lymphoma and is receiving chemotherapy through April.  It is a rough journey.  But, Hannah is a believer and she has a tremendous faith and outward attitude.

Charles, did you mean you listened to "Ravi" Zacharias?  I assume you meant him.  I love Ravi and sad he's left this planet.  But, glad he's home with the Lord. He was a man of grace and love and discernment; super smart.  

History...it does not change and is it the same thing repeated over and over again?  Sort of. ..?

Charles, I pondered this and it led me to the 10 commandments first thing.  The standard of history of human behavior provided by God?  Perhaps most of what we consider history is what is known by many people in a society and it is viewed from a moral perspective attached?   I will just ask that and maybe another brother or sister will have something more in response. I'll keep thinking on this topic and maybe write more another time.   Maybe consider this....

Writer and philosopher George Santayana, likely wrote, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  I don't know who he was, but many people contribute a quote that stands out in time and it is repeated.

Love, Candice

#3 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 30 December 2020 - 03:13 AM

Hi Candice! Yes I was speaking of Ravi. He was certainly a wise man and a respected man. I think his point was about there having been situations as far back as we have history of people having concerns about "how can we get through this bad situation that seems to have suddenly caused such a severe threat"? England in the early years didn`t have COVID, but there were those Viking raiders. Rome had a volcano at Naples. We had a civil war, WW1 and WW2. All of these scared people over and over again. COVID, as well as all these other things seemed to be tragic "end of life as we know it" situations. Very stressful situations that seem to have very little or no adequate response by mankind. 

He was just reminding us that things such a this are not new, just the people are new to the situation.

#4 Tony Davison

Tony Davison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Retired Electrician by trade full time christian by Gods choice.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:18 AM

We could do a little promotion of ourselves by simply sending the link below to all our email/ twitter contacts this might increase the flow of traffic we do have over 900 subjects to read on this forum alone. Just think that if everybody who read just this post sent to 50 of their own contacts there could be close to 2500 people reached.

Deeper Life - The Alliance eCommunity (cmalliance.org)

#5 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:46 AM

Good thought Tony.  A lot of people, in response to a problem, will say "I`ll be praying for you" but I feel that many times that is just a way to end a conversation. I see a difference in that and people on this board that say I`ll be praying for you" because they actually do! I know for sure if you ask me to pray for a situation....I will do what I say. Prayer is offered that day and continues daily for some time.  People here actually pray for each other and that is comforting. I assume we all pray for close friends and family members who ask for it, but for people who only meet on a message board to actually stop and pray for each other...well that`s a unique thing.

This board has in the past been a sort of a family, and we have concern for each other. When praying for some, I actually feel as though we are kneeling together and asking The Lord for healing, problem solving, rest, or whatever. This is something we may need more of in the coming times so I really would miss the fellowship. I hate to even use the term, but we need a group of "warriors" who do pray hard.....and expect results. God hears us and we know what happens when 2 or more pray earnestly, with faith knowing what God has said. 

This is a good place with good people. I would really like to see this become a home for prayer warriors.

Yours In Christ,

Charlie

#6 Jhonpeter

Jhonpeter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 17 August 2023 - 09:15 AM

Although we often feel like people have only been traveling for the last few decades, the truth is that people have been traveling for centuries. Ancient Romans traveled to relax in their Mediterranean villas. At the same time, people in European girl wandered for cultural experiences. I'm so fascinated by the history of travel that I did my own little research on how people started to travel. And here's what I learned.