• 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

So we start 2019! How many of us thought we would still be here? I know that years ago I used to calculate how old I would be at the year 2000, but really never thought about going past that milepost and on into a new millinium. Maybe that jst shows how short sighted we are about many things. 

Last night in my study, I started thinking and meditating on the things I used to call truth. You know, all those things we think are certain about. Then I thought about how many of those things I used to be sure of really turned out to not be true, or only partially so.

As I read Romans 8 again(I check once every week or so just to make sure it hasn`t been removed), I was moved by Paul`s assurances to us about how the Lord looks at us. How He loves us. How His grace is sufficient. And how the Christ`s work on the cross gave us freedom from condemnation by the Law.

I know I am not fully sanctified, but I am destined to be. Anyone who states that they are fully sanctified, yet still live and work in this world, well, I haven`t met them yet! There are a lot of really, really good people out there and I do admire them. BUT if one of them told me that he/she was now fully sanctified and that they no longer sin, are totally living a perfect life daily, and then tell others who occasionally sin that they do not saved.....well, I just can`t understand them and certainly do not agree with them

Who or what can separate us from the love of Christ? "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels not rulers, not things present, nor things to come, nor powers, not height, nor depth, nor any other created thing will have the power to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

This is the message of faith that we proclaim: If you confess with your mouth,"Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

"God`s gracious gifts and calling are irrevocable"

I wish all a happy year that is full of the blessings of God.

Charlie

• Meema likes this

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:21 PM

Happy 2019 to you Charlie.  Isn't it funny how we project our thoughts forward to...what will life be like in such and such a year?  I've done this many times.

I appreciate the content of your post (s) .  I recently viewed some online videos that were just sending folks back to the law.  Nothing wrong with the law.  But, I had to say I really go back and forth a bit and don't like to be wavering about salvation -- if it costs it isn't free.

To steer towards a diversion....But, what about all the evil pastors who are just unbelievably off with so many deceived sheep?  Is Benny Hinn really a wolf in sheep's clothing?  I have to think so. Jim Jones?  How obvious these two are.  So many pastors in what I call cults committing adultery with their own flock.  Then, their flocks refuse to discuss it because they can't admit that!  I don't think it's my business because I refuse to go to any church any more as I see this more and more and can't possibly sit under these types of people or the churches where it's really a country club with the cliques and unfriendly folk.  Or, just fill the seats mentality.  I've struggled for so long, I'm at peace just going to a little bible study weekly with only a handful of people hungry for the word. 

More on salvation....if it is about becoming perfect, then the Lord says you must follow the law perfectly, which no one, except Jesus Christ has ever done.  So it's either freely given with the Lord's blood paid fully by Him or ….?  The scripture is clear.

I have to admit I'm afraid of death and will open up that topic.  It's the transition of this life, leaving it.....I guess it's about being deceived somehow in the end to follow a false spirit.  It's crazy but true.  I'll post this as not to hijack your post here.  I've been wanting to post for some time, but don't want the post waylaid

Charles, you're a brother!  I think I'll move to Mississippi!

#3 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:05 PM

Nice to see you posting again Candice. You are a sister in Christ, so we will see each other some day, but Miss is a great place to live. 

In the post I did forget to mention a matter that just became clearer last night.  If anyone claims to no longer sin and actually feels that they live a perfect life, they no longer need the grace of our Lord! They would "have it made" and could then be seated on the throne. Christ`s sacrifice for us cleared up of all sin, so if one were to never sin again, he/she would no longer have any need for Jesus. Remember when Jesus washed the disciple`s feet? He told them that one who has already bathed does not need to bathe again, but just wash his/her feet. The part that comes into contact with the world. We should "wash our feet" daily by prayer and confession. That is the relationship Jesus died for....we can speak directly to our Father and tell Him our faults and He is quick to forgive us. His children.

The other topic you mentioned is a troubling one for sure. I listen to some of the ministers on TV and cringe at their message. Any message that tells us that God intends for all of us to be rich, have private jets, and never be sick, is just too much and not Biblical. God does want us to live a better life for Him, but just knowing that doesn`t seem to do much good. Many times we might have a problem that just won`t go away and drags on us.  Maybe, just maybe we are to take the adversity and learn from it. Metal is made more pure by a refining fire, and so our belief and faith are made stronger by testing. 

I certainly would not want to name any pastors who preach "name it and claim it" or "you are what you say you are" or "failure is all in your mind and all you need to do is to get a positive attitude". But we know who they are and what they are doing to the Church. Jesus didn`t die to make us rich. make us more popular, or make sure we had a private jet.  He died to re-establish a relationship between God and man that had been lost. The gospel is simple, but some people distort and confuse it. 

Hope you are doing well. I`m blessed but getting better every day with God`s help.

Charlie

#4 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:06 AM

Hi Charles! Happy New Year. I’m sort of catching up in here. Glad to hear you are recovering well.