Photo

A. B. Simpson's Idea of the Deeper Life??

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tkulp

Tkulp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Studying the Word as the Spirit directs.
    Sharing what I learn about the Truth of the Word of God.
    Aquaponics / rooting plant starts / Living on God's provisions
    Learning about wild edibles, Herbs and God's natural provisions for life, both physical and spiritual.
    Raising cattle
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Coop Prairie

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

The Ultimate Concept of the Deeper Life

A.B. Simpson addresses his idea of what I personally see as the ultimate deeper life in his devotional for today (5/7/18).

In order to really understand what Mr. Simpson is saying you will have to know the meaning of one very important word, "incarnate" or "incarnation".

The idea of incarnation is revealed in the Gospel of John.

-------------------------

Here is a modern definition from the online Britannica Encyclopedia; my highlighting for emphasis.

Incarnation | Jesus Christ | Britannica.com

https://www.britanni...on-Jesus-Christ

"Incarnation. Incarnation, central Christian doctrine that God became flesh, that God assumed a human nature and became a man in the form of Jesus Christ, the Son of God and the second person of the Trinity. Christ was truly God and truly man."

---------------------------

The Noah Webster Dictionary, that Mr. Simpson may have used, gives this definition;

Incarnate

INC`ARNATE, v.t. [L. incarno; in and caro, flesh.]

To clothe with flesh; to embody in flesh.

-------------------------

All who follow man's doctrine of the Trinity would state, with varying ideas or understandings, that God became flesh.

This is not the incarnation that A. B. Simpson is talking about in his devotional today though.

The idea that A. B. Simpson is trying to present is that Jesus Christ is to be 'incarnate' in everyone that has truly experienced what Jesus calls, "being born again".

As Jesus many times referred to the Father 'living in Him, Jesus' and directing every aspect of His, Jesus' life, most understand this as "God incarnate"; God living in human flesh.

Just a side note; some would like to carry this idea farther than Jesus did, in the Biblical accounts. They would remove the person of Jesus Christ totally or almost totally from the picture. Jesus choose to do the will of the Father, with all His heart and above His own will.

How ever you have been taught, believe or understand the relationship of 'incarnation' to the verses in John 1:1-4,  A. B. Simpson is applying the word 'incarnation' to every real Christian and the Spirit of Jesus.

Jesus Christ living in Christians, directing all they do, exactly as the Father lived in and directed the life of Jesus.

Christians must have the same passion as Jesus did though, to do the will of the Father!

John 5:30, John 6:38, John 4:34 and Matthew 7:16-24

You will recognize them by their fruit. Grapes are not gathered from thorns or figs from thistles, are they?

In the same way, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit.

A good tree is not able to bear bad fruit, nor a bad tree to bear good fruit.

Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

So then, you will recognize them by their fruit.

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the kingdom of heaven — only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

On that day, many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, didn't we prophesy in your name, and in your name cast out demons and do many powerful deeds?'  Then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you. Go away from me, you lawbreakers!'

"Everyone who hears these words of mine and does them is like a wise man who built his house on rock.

---------------------------------------

Inspirational Readings by A.B. Simpson

Days of Heaven on Earth

Monday, May 07, 2018

It is a blessed moment when we are born again and a new heart is created in us after the image of God. It is a more blessed moment when, in this new heart, Christ Himself is born and Christmas time is reproduced in us as we, in some real sense, become incarnations of the living Christ. This is the deepest and holiest meaning of Christianity. It is expressed in Paul's prayer for the Galatians. My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you.

There will yet be a more glorious era when we, like Him, shall be transformed and transfigured into His glory, and in the resurrection shall be, in spirit, soul and body, even as He.

Let us be, under the power of the inspiring thought, incarnations of Christ, not living our life, but the Christ life, and showing forth the excellencies, not of ourselves, but of Him who hath called us out of darkness into his marvelous light. As a result our lives shall be to all the reliving of the Christ life, as He would have lived it had He been here.

Scripture

I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you —Galatians 4:19

---------------------------------------

A. B. Simpson uses the letters of Paul to share this truth. Jesus taught this truth in a clearer and deeper way as His prayer to the Father is shared with us by John, in John 17:21-23. Net Bible

Joh 17:20  "I am not praying only on their behalf, but also on behalf of those who believe in me through their testimony, that they will all be one, just as you, Father, are in me and I am in you. I pray that they will be in us, so that the world will believe that you sent me.

The glory you gave to me I have given to them, that they may be one just as we are oneI in them and you in me — that they may be completely one, so that the world will know that you sent me, and you have loved them just as you have loved me.

Yes, a real Christian will honestly be able to demonstrate by their speech and actions that, "If you have seen me, you have seen Jesus Christ!"

Paul also taught that real Christians would have the 'mind' of Christ.

Are you doing the will of the Father? Is it your food to know and do the will of the Father?

Have you been in the Church for years, but are what the writer of Hebrews describes as a baby, in your speech, attitudes and actions? 

Hebrews 5 " ....it is difficult to explain, since you have become sluggish in hearing.

For though you should in fact be teachers by this time, you need someone to teach you the beginning elements of God's utterances. You have gone back to needing milk, not solid food. For everyone who lives on milk is inexperienced in the message of righteousness, because he is an infant.

But solid food is for the mature, whose perceptions are trained by practice to discern both good and evil."   .... we must progress beyond the elementary instructions about Christ and move on to maturity, not laying this foundation again: repentance from dead works and faith in God, teaching about baptisms, laying on of hands, resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.