• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Patricia Hurt

Patricia Hurt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:24 PM

My Husband and I separated in Dec. He is an Adult Child of An Alcoholic and has many issues he needs to deal with.

My mother had to have her leg amputated in April due to poor circulation. She is currently in Rehab, but not progressing as desired, due to sores on her other leg. 

My older Sister has a very bad back and may have to have surgery in the next couple of months. My younger Sister has Migraines and a bad back. This leaves me to do most of the care for my mother.

My Uncle has Prostate cancer that has spread to his bones. He was put in Hospice today.

My Aunt (by marriage to another Uncle) has dementia and has lost her sight, leaving my 88 year old uncle to care for her. He is not in good health either.

Just feeling over whelmed right now. 

#2 Layman363

Layman363

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Greenhouse Community Church

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

Perhaps you are concerning yourself with too many things you cannot control. From your comments here I would advise you to focus on praying for your spouse and caring for your mother. Your husband can of great help if he resolves his problems.

• Tkulp likes this

#3 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

My Husband and I separated in Dec. He is an Adult Child of An Alcoholic and has many issues he needs to deal with.

My mother had to have her leg amputated in April due to poor circulation. She is currently in Rehab, but not progressing as desired, due to sores on her other leg. 

My older Sister has a very bad back and may have to have surgery in the next couple of months. My younger Sister has Migraines and a bad back. This leaves me to do most of the care for my mother.

My Uncle has Prostate cancer that has spread to his bones. He was put in Hospice today.

My Aunt (by marriage to another Uncle) has dementia and has lost her sight, leaving my 88 year old uncle to care for her. He is not in good health either.

Just feeling over whelmed right now. 

I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through, Patricia! I can definitely understand how you would be feeling overwhelmed. And being a caregiver is one of the most stressful ordeals one can experience. My husband and I went through that when his mom was in terminal stages of COPD. To compound that situation, immediately after she passed away, my dad got terribly sick and died within a month. It was probably one of the most overwhelming times of my entire life.   

One of the things I learned from that ordeal is the importance of getting adequate self-care to promote stress reduction, especially when part of the stress is related to care-giving. The following link is from a secular source, but it contains some excellent advice in that regard:

https://www.verywell...duction-3144729

In the article, the part about having the right attitude is vitally important, and this is where God's Word can help tremendously. Instead of simply making positive affirmations like the article suggests, you can make affirmations based on encouraging Bible verses. For instance, when you start to feel anxious about any of the situations you mentioned, you can say, "I cast all my anxieties upon the Lord, because he cares for me." Or you can say, "God is working this situation for good."

I also agree with what Layman363 said about not concerning ourselves too much with things we can't control. I know when I start to stress about such things, it helps to give them to the Lord and let Him take care of them.

Please know I am praying for you and asking God to show you His mercy, help, and goodness in the difficult situations you mentioned.

Blessings to you in Jesus,

Julie

#4 blschaar

blschaar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Reading, time with my Chi Mix dog
  • I am a Layperson

• Derwood Alliance

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

I am sorry for your trials. I am praying, and though my burdens are different, I know pain of losses and diificult trials. I was diagnosed with MS at same time my Mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. My relationship with my daughter was strained and then I moved to a new area where I am working on letting church community be allowed closer to me. I tend to withdraw and isolate when I am in pain, which is opposite of what I need. Listening to sound teaching on podcasts, reading devotions and praying are my best help beside my doctors. The blessing has been learning to lean on Christ alone no matter what. I don't "feel" the warm feelings, but keep pushing ahead because God is complete answer for me. I commend you for speaking out that you are in need of help and admitting you feel overwhelmed- that was 1st step for me!
God bless and grant you peace in this storm Keep looking to Him for He is faithful. God bless you!!!

#5 blschaar

blschaar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Reading, time with my Chi Mix dog
  • I am a Layperson

• Derwood Alliance

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

I am sorry for your trials. I am praying, and though my burdens are different, I know pain of losses and diificult trials. I was diagnosed with MS at same time my Mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. My relationship with my daughter was strained and then I moved to a new area where I am working on letting church community be allowed closer to me. I tend to withdraw and isolate when I am in pain, which is opposite of what I need. Listening to sound teaching on podcasts, reading devotions and praying are my best help beside my doctors. The blessing has been learning to lean on Christ alone no matter what. I don't "feel" the warm feelings, but keep pushing ahead because God is complete answer for me. I commend you for speaking out that you are in need of help and admitting you feel overwhelmed- that was 1st step for me!
God bless and grant you peace in this storm Keep looking to Him for He is faithful. God bless you!!!