• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:Missions, Africa, Cleveland and Ohio Sports
  • I am a Missionary

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Northview Alliance Church, Wooster, Ohio

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:04 AM

We hosted a short-term team in Burkina Faso that visited a village to hold a widows' event. The mayor of the village sent a representative to participate in the formalities. After the meeting, several dozen people were seated under a tree, with the team mostly together on one side. But a member of the team suddenly picked up her chair and asked the mayor's representative if she might talk with him. He was delighted. For the next half hour the two of them talked over many subjects from development, widows' programs, to finally Jesus Christ. Serving as translator, it was one of the most amazing conversations I had witnessed. What would compel this older American woman to engage a young Burkinabe man in conversation? Think of the barriers. Not just age and culture, but language, religion, economics, and worldview, not to mention possibly offending or being rejected. But this short termer wanted a long-term impact in Burkina Faso. She made a bold move out of the comfort of her team and took advantage of an opportunity to share Christ, looking for that life-changing impact on this young man's life. Later, he called the pastor to thank him and specifically mentioned the conversation and the things that "the visitor" had shared with him. We are thankful for these teams, though short in their in-country time, are determined to have a long-term impact on the peoples of Burkina Faso.

• Janet Root, Kris Rickert and Upcoming Churches Network like this

#2 Layman363

Layman363

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Greenhouse Community Church

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

It is a blessing to read these testimonials.