Photo

What was your Born Again experience like?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

This is not a baited question. It is simply me wanting to know if your 'born again' experience was dramatic? or accompanied by deep and tearful feelings of sorrow because of your sins offending an Holy God?

I didn't have one of those 'deep and tearful' conversions. I really cannot recall a time when I did NOT believe in God. And yet, I still continued to sin and always insisted on having it....MY WAY....no matter the consequences.

I would only cry out to God when things got REALLY desperate....such as the many times that I would find myself without a place to sleep........or...when I would run out of  drugs (opiates) or booze (cheap vodka and cheap beer) and withdrawal symptoms began manifesting with a vengeance. Of course, THEN I would cry out to God for mercy.

I cannot recall a time when I was ....one way....and then, after praying, was all of a sudden.....ANOTHER way.

By the way, this post is just one of my ways of personal growth.

Did YOU have a 'night and day' type of conversion experience? Or did life continue on basically the same after you  were converted.....MINUS the grosser sins?

NOTE: I realize that I am asking a very personal question. If you choose not to answer, I completely understand.  Everyone have  great day.

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

Hi Kevin,
I’ll cut straight to your main statement, as you say, “By the way, this post is just one of my ways of ‘Make(ing) every effort to make my calling and election sure.’”

Sometimes personal testimonies of conversion experiences are great and appropriate. At other times, they can be self-focused and not the exact experience to be shared at a specific moment or in response to a specific question from another believer. Why? Because sharing this conversion experience can, in itself, cause stumbling for either or both parties since “experiences” are individual and ought not be a comparative search effort. I've seen people get upset because they didn't have the big "wow" experience that someone else shares, and it kind of unravels and does nothing to glorify Christ.  Glorifying God is the only reason to share testimonies IMO.

So, my testimony is that I believed on Christ when I was 31 years old, but did not make a commitment of any real type except to go to church, read the bible and pray. I did not have a life-changing event in all ways. I certainly gave up friends who were bad influences. I still sinned; sometimes pretty badly. There were changes.  I was not "sold-out".  Then, about 20 years later, I had the real “sold-out” moment with the real impact on my life. I still sin, yes, but I “believe” and “know” I’m saved after much debate and going back and forth as you are personally experiencing and I know you have been for some time now. I still “go there” sometimes, but rarely any more. Part of this is much prayer and reading the word because “faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God”.  Reading the word from the writer's perspective.  Important I think.

To me, emotions like crying, tears, sorrow, falling over backwards :), speaking in tongues, etc. are experiences and are not necessary indicators of a true conversion. I know that I have cried over my sin and begged the Lord’s forgiveness and changed - really changed. The Lord has taken away tendencies of the flesh that could not have destroyed through my self-effort.  I am still a work in progress though. And, quite honestly, I still get worldly distractions that pull on me and then I have to go to the Lord and repent. I hope my relationship grows until my last breath. Until that moment, I will grow, but also be distracted in my flesh at times and, quite frankly, sometimes not give a rip about reading the bible on a particular day or long prayer time. Like now. Lately, life’s been less prayerful and not much reading of the word because of the burden of 40 hour work weeks and driving an hour a day, cleaning on weekends and distractions like television and helping my son with his homework  .Exercising enough to ward off chronic pain.  Sleeping enough to be rested.  Being a supportive wife and mother and asking the Lord to work through me at work with hospice patients, families and co-workers.  Prayer is now brief-on the way to work for the 30 minute drive of which I have many distractions. Lord forgive me. I'd like this to be different. Again, I hope my relationship with my heavenly Father grows until my last breath. It will because God Himself promised He would do the work in me. Not me doing the work. I know someone who is a new believer who cries all the time, but I don’t know that I see real change there. I'm sure the Lord will work out her salvation with her and she will grow.  It's not about what we do necessarily.  Emotions mean little to me except this: that we laugh with our brothers and sisters when they have joy and we cry when they do (at least some of the time).

I believe for any real change to take place in a believer’s life for Christ means prayer, prayer, prayer. The word, the word, the word. And, in between, there will be fleshly moments. Distractions and the like.

I’m sharing with you some of Tozer’s words on the subject. You can go to these links and read if you’d like. This is a two-part Tozer sermon. I just happened to share this at home church today (before I read your post)  since this topic is a common one among believers. You know, what's a real conversion, what we experience, etc.

http://www.neve-fami...ptChrist-1.html
http://www.neve-fami...ptChrist-2.html

I believe that a major part of "make my calling and election sure" is the very working out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Would you say you are in that mode? There's no comparisons with others because you are working out your own salvation with the Lord.  It's your own journey brother! Just you and the Lord's.  Period.

Hope this helps brother Kevin. I really do.

Love, Candice

• Julie Daube, Charles Miles and chipped china like this

#3 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:54 AM

I love the honesty and real life issues expressed by Candice.  Well, maybe I don`t love them, but I understand her honesty in dealing with them as she does.  Life can often be a "grind" that eats up our days and they pass like a swift runner. I know that there are days when I just get involved in work, life, people`s health problems, family issues, and all the rest of thos worldly stuff and I don`t take time to stop and meditate on the Lord and all His goodness.  All these things though are simply a verneer...my joy in the Lord is always there, but may be just beneath the surface....waiting for me to slow down a bit and revel in the fact that I have a God who loves me and lives in me daily.  Maybe I don`t express this exactly right, but problems and hectic life comes and goes, but my joy over the fact that God loves me never goes away.  Last night, in the quiet, late, I sat down and read much of the book of Romans.  A warm feeling of assurance poured over me like a warm blanket (after the first 5 chapters).  Most any time I feel harried, hectic, tired, or a bit blue,  reading Romans 8 will just blow me through the roof and then put me on my face in sheer gratitude for what God has done for me and all other people with a relationship with Him.

Life changes, stuff happens, problems come and go, but God`s love for us and His assurance is a stable rock....and NEVER changes.  Brothers and sisters, that is where peace and joy come from.

I praise my God for who He is and what He has done for me, although I did not deserve it.

Charlie

• Julie Daube, elizabethcog and chipped china like this

#4 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:29 AM

Hi Kevin,
I’ll cut straight to your main statement, as you say, “By the way, this post is just one of my ways of ‘Make(ing) every effort to make my calling and election sure.’”

Love, Candice

Candace, actually, the Personal Growth statement was just an add-on.  The main question was asking if fellow believers would mind relating their conversion story.   I like hearing conversion stories. I don't base my entire walk with Jesus on conversion stories. I realize that I used a darker font for the two words PERSONAL GROWTH.  But by no means was that the gist of my post.  I was wanting fellow believers to share their conversion testimony. Not make an attempt at addressing what they THEY ASSUME I REALLY mean. 

Not that I don't appreciate your addressing what you THOUGHT was the main gist. So my question now remains unanswered. I thought about starting another post and asking the question again WITHOUT telling folks why I was asking it.  But since there has not been alot of feedback pertaining to my question......it would likely be redundant for me to do so. Everyone have a blessed day.

#5 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

When I open my eyes, I was laying on this metal flat table with little green men around me. Oh wait... Wrong experience. Disregard that.

I went to a church for the first time in my life and I went by myself. I felt a desire to, It was a church I was going to therapy to for PTSD, but never really attended the church. I remember driving into the parking lot at the church for the first time. I was scared and didn’t know what to expect beyond my wrong perceptions. I seen so many people here and there and was so scared. Never the less, the desire to go was so strong I let nothing hold me back. Am I dress right? Will people know I am new and so lost? Will I get burdening people pushing believes onto me? So many things in my head and yet, a desire to keep each step moving forward. So I parked my car, straighten my cloths, and took the step into the parking lot. One step after the other as people were saying hello. I said hello back not knowing who any of them were. Step by step, I walked into church. There was a split directional hallway with so many doors and everyone going and coming from everywhere. Where do I go? Am I on time or late or way too early? I don’t know! So I asked a few people as they walked by me. All of them seem so nice and willing to help me find my way. It was so wonderful. Turned out I was in the right hallway and on time. It’s a miraculous! So I found my way into the worship center and a seat that didn’t seem to be taken. I sat there just looking at everything and listen and so on. I was not the only one who was sitting and waiting for services to start. That was good. I felt a wee bit strange to begin with.

Here’s the kicker. As the band began to play worship music, I stood up with the rest of the growing crowd as it seem to be the normal thing everyone does. It was then that I felt something come over me that latterly brought me to tears and almost knocked me down to my bummy ( butt ). It was something I never felt before ever and it was beyond just beyond great. It was pure and so freeing and so loving and so much, much more I can not find human words to use. It was the moment I knew my life had changed forever and in a very amazing way. I stood there with tears coming down my face and holding myself up from falling as the music played on and the crowd stood. I lost track of time on how long I was standing there. I was caught up in this moment of my life being changed. Finally the music stopped and we all sat down. I listened and stayed for the entire service. After wards, I wanted to go back for more. More, more, (( MORE! )). I ended up taking classes and joining groups and volunteering. I told others what happened to me that first day and they all told me the same thing. It was God’s hand touching you to comfort you in being new to his house. It was God letting me know he was there with me and will always be. I really do believe that is what happened to me. God let me know he was there because I was there and it all was so okay.

Now the other thing is when I got Baptized. The pastor who Baptized me was a friend of mine so that was also a blessings. I was a little scared at first because I had to make a public declaration in front of around a 100 people. Most of them I didn’t know beyond faces in the crowd at church. But my heart was and still is for God that I was ( and am ) willing to face any challenges without hesitation. So I spoke my words as they came from my heart. The tears came down my face and I was gently lowered back into the water. It was faster than I thought is was going to be, but a lot more safer feeling than I thought. When I was brought back up from the waters, I really did feel this cleanness about me that went way beyond just body. It was like something I just don’t know the words for, but so pure and real and so very freeing. I was free of my cage the fallen world put me in, that I allowed myself to stay in. It was more than what I heard it would be, but that is a good thing actually. I felt clean for once in my life.

Okay, I am not sure if this is what you meant or not, but there you go and I hope it helps you someway. Going back to the little green me...They had these really awesome donuts and bacon. Oh, I wasn’t going to talk about them. Sorry.

• Kevin Blankenship, chipped china and Ginger like this

#6 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:25 AM

Thanks Christopher310.   That type of testimony is exactly what I meant.  And I appreciate that.

Candace, I am sure that you meant well.  And you seem to have several folks on your side. So am I to assume that the sharing of personal testimony is taboo??? It certainly seems that way.   I made this thread and it was a very simple request. And what I got INSTEAD was an essay on why what i was asking was not good or not wise. How about letting ME decide that.  If you didn't want to share your testimony......I clearly stated that anyone could feel free to NOT share theirs. 

I am not at all sure of the motive behind all of this. And then, to add salt to the open wound, Charlie, a man whom I saw as a mentor of sorts (so to speak) has decided to applaud your tenacity and efforts.

But still.....no personal testimony.  Except for Christopher310.  Thanks again Christopher.

I woke up that morning (before making the thread) with conversions on my mind. I simply wanted a bit of feedback.  Not an entire essay on why my question was wrong on so many levels.  And then a hearty round of applause by another member......not mention the several LIKES.

I am being as tactful as is possible with this. But admittedly, it is difficult.  I feel like my thread was sabotaged along with several others in agreement.

Now I am afraid to start ANY thread for fear that you will decide that you will explain to me what I REALLY meant by my question/topic. 

#7 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:58 AM

Double post......please delete

#8 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

Kevin
Here I go offending you. I am sorry. My testimony right there. It's abbreviated. But it's there. It's a work in progress. Maybe I misread you.
  • LOVESPELL likes this

#9 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

Testimonies are great. Nothing wrong. I misread your question.

#10 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

Kevin
Honestly, these frequent misunderstandings on your part seem, to me, not to be dealt with in any way that extends grace or even the benefit of the doubt on your part. That's how I perceive it.
Look, choosing to be offended over such misunderstandings hurts me. This isn't an easy thing to say but it is how I perceive it.

#11 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

Kevin
Here I go offending you. I am sorry. My testimony right there. It's abbreviated. But it's there. It's a work in progress. Maybe I misread you.

"Offended" is a bit strong.  Nevertheless,  I made a simple request.  It just seems to me that  I should be able to pose a question and maybe someone will reply TO MY QUESTION or maybe they won't.  Nothing personal, as I don't know you Candace.   I spent part of the day yesterday wondering why you did what you did and then, worse, why I felt the need to express my feelings on someone coming along and telling me that I am asking the wrong question.   I over-reacted.  And for that, I apologize. I am a very simple person (as far as I can tell) and should be very easy to read.  This thread was entirely about me reaching out (while I was going through a period of doubt) and asking other believers about their conversion experience.  I even stated in my original thread that it wasn't a baited question, or rather, there wasn't some mysterious reason for my asking folks to relate their conversion experience.  Evidentally, all but one, must have felt the same as you about my question (asking for personal testimony of their CONVERSION EXPERIENCE).  So I will assume that my question was truly out of order......as was my  response to your reply.  If I was truly offended, I  could simply switch to the weather or news web page. And again, I apologize for my over-reaction....I could chosen my words more carefully while conveying the same meaning. Peace.

#12 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

I have taken some time out in prayer.  And thinking. (meditation maybe).  And I conclude that I was totally and fully OUT OF ORDER towards you Candace and to a lesser degree, toward Charles Miles.

I was like a little boy who didn't hear what he wanted to hear and I reacted like a little boy who does not take well to being corrected.  P-R-I-D-E.   I have been guilty of this foul and revolting sin (and several more).

Candace, Charlie, and all of the others who had the misfortune of reading my rant (I am about to delete it so that newcomers will not be forced to read it).

No one here has done anything wrong.  The other day.....maybe last week?....I thought that I was finally climbing out of this HORRIBLE pit of despair.  I have lost my entire appetite. I have lost 20 pounds in a few weeks.  My physical body is beginning to suffer (evidently, along with my emotional component) from my very very horrid sense of stress.

I am taking ownership of my sin. How can I pray and love and be any kind of a decent Christian when I know that I have offended another Christian. I simply CANNOT.  I made a mountain out of a molehill and the Lord knows that there are enough mountains for us Christians.

Please, I can and will do better. The way I acted was pure hogwarsh. Nothing short of it. I wrote this second reply because I felt that my reply right above this one was lame and not really genuine.  This one IS genuine. It is being prompted by my conscience and by God's Spirit (i certainly hope). 

To be completely frank....I have SO MUCH on my plate right now that I really have no business trying to make threads on a Forum. Especially a Christian Forum. Because, experientially, I know so little about the Faith.

It may be tempting to think that I am now trying to OVER-compensate with a feigned humility.  Who knows. Maybe that is what I am doing. I certainly hope I am being genuine. But I cannot tell anymore.  I make promises to God that I fail to keep. It would likely be very wise for me to go right back to Square One of the Christian Faith and start all over.  There is no peace in my life. No, no, a thousand times NO.....I am NOT trying to counter all of this by appearing all "OH,....I am SO HOPELESS. Please feel sorry for me."  Even I can see the futility in that ruse. But, for what it's worth, and no matter how it is received (hopefully, in the way I mean it).......there it is.  The truth.

• elizabethcog likes this

#13 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:27 PM

Kevin,  I have been out of town for a few days, so I have not been reading any of these notes.  If I responded in any way that caused you worry, concern, or hurt feelings, please let me say I`m so very sorry.  Either I misread what you wanted, or I was just replying to Candice.  Whatever, I am so sorry that you had any anxiety about my reply, or lack of one.   

I have been on this board for a long time now, and my testimony has been given several times.  I just assumed you wanted others to talk who had not already told their story.  I am ALWAYS ready to give my testimony, and again, I have on several occasions on this forum.  I guess I just didn`t want to take up everyone`s time retelling the story about me in my back yard.

Kevin, we have never met, but we have had discussions on this forum about many, many things, so I think you know that I love you as a brother in Christ.  I would never do anything to cause you a problem or any anxiety.  I ask your forgiveness if I accidently caused you any problem.  I really do try and be careful with my replies to people here, because I believe most everyone is sincerely looking for answers and a better relationship with the Lord.  If there is a general question, and I don`t think I have anything constructive to add, I will probably remain silent and just read what others have to say on the topic, but I certainly did not mean to cause you any concern by a nonreply or a reply that didn`t seem to be an appropriate response.  Since I have been away(and my house is having major repair work done), I have not had a computer so I didn`t read your reply before you deleted it.

Peace brother, and please know that we are both children of God and on the same side.

Your brother in Christ,

Charlie

• Kevin Blankenship and elizabethcog like this

#14 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Thanks Charlie. I apologize profusely and am embarrassed at my actions. Thanks for your kind words.  Peace.

#15 reader

reader

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible and life accounts from saints of years past
  • I am a Missionary

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:08 AM

It is hard to believe that a three year-old child can make a decision that affects not only his own life but also has an effect on the lives of others.  Certainly, I was born with strong carnality, having a very selfish desire and extremely strong will to do as I pleased, and had little care whether anyone liked it or not.  While I do not remember the exact date, I do remember that it was a Sunday night that I made up my mind that I wished to live like the people who did not attend the church that I was being brought up in.  I wanted to smoke, drink, dance, play cards, gamble, watch TV, play ball, go to the movies (drugs came later), and not live a life tied down by all the old fogey ways.

God, in His great love allowed me to go the way I chose.  Looking back, I remember times that it had to be the voice of the Lord speaking to me.  Once, sitting on the deck of my cabin home overlooking a beautiful lake, I was drunk, stoned, and having a cigarette, when suddenly a thought came into mind, “You know, it seems like, Christians, real Christians, have something more to live for, a future that is more real than money, sex, and a roaring good time of debauchery, hangovers, and an empty bank account.”  A few years later I met a really pretty lady and shortly after we were married. 

Time passed and there were 2 children in our home (4½ & 6 months).  Again, I was in my usual messed up condition on a Saturday afternoon.  My wife had gone to the grocery store and I was with our 2 boys when suddenly, as if someone walked into the room and spoke, I heard a question, “Look at yourself!  Do you want you 2 children to grow up to be like you?”   I was so stunned I did not respond and again, what seemed like an audible voice, asked the same question again.  This time, I thought, no, I do not want that to happen.

Well, nearly 5 years went by and I continued on my merry way, my beautiful wife and kids putting up with me.   Plus my faithful mother also prayed for me daily, even several times each day, and asked all she knew to pray for me also.  My dad died when I was 10 years old and as an only child, my mother’s focus was constantly my salvation.  At last, I picked up and began to read a book my mother had given me entitled, ‘A Disciple Named Arthur’ by Lavena Crooks.  God had been working on me for a while and as I began to read about this man’s life, the Lord showed me myself.

It didn’t take long and I was desirous of God changing my ways, but I felt like I did not know how to pray, and couldn’t come to God without knowing how.  Finally, after going to church quite a lot with my wife, kids, and mother for some time, I decided we should attend a Christmas service put on by a Bible School at the church we were attending.  There was a skit about no room in the inn for Jesus to be born in, but all I saw was me not allowing room in my life for Jesus.  At the conclusion of that service my mind was made up, I would serve God one way or another.  I didn’t know whether my wife and kids would leave me or stay, but I had reached a point I was going to go with God, no matter the consequences.

I asked the pastor if I could visit with him and he and his wife invited my wife and I to their home, where, even though I still felt as if I knew not how to pray, I kneeled down and said, “God, whoever you are, Jesus, Holy Spirit or whatever, I want you if you will take me,” and in my mind’s eye I saw a man walking toward me with open arms saying, “I will take you.” 

That was a Monday night and I could hardly wait for Wednesday night service to tell everyone what had happened to me, but Wednesday night was Christmas Eve and the Church Board had voted to not have church that night.  We were headed out of state for the weekend to see my wife’s family, so, I thought next Wednesday night I will tell everyone, but when we got back I found that again a decision had been made to not have Wednesday night service because it was New Year’s Eve.  That night, after not smoking, drinking, or drugging for over a week, I was so disappointed that about 8:00 – 8:30 p.m. I went to the closest store, got a 12 pack of beer, some wine coolers, for my wife, and 2 packs of cigarettes for myself. 

I was back where I was before, but the following day, I told the Lord that the next time I was in church and an altar call was made, I would go, pray and get it settled.  We didn’t go to all the services, but on Sunday night March 1, 1998 a man asked at the end of the special song if he could come and pray, and as the pastor asked if there was anyone else, another lady on the opposite side of the church went to pray, and the Lord said to me, “Well?” and I kept my promise and He kept His, and He forgave me of my sins that night.  My wife also prayed that night, and my 86 year old mother who had prayed for me for 46 years shouted for the first and only time that I know of, jumping up and down in joy as I let go of sin and found Jesus.

The conclusion of my story is that the very next day, while our kids set the evening dinner table, and my mother stood at the stove preparing a meal for us all, God called her home.  My wife, standing just a couple of feet away, said she was in mid-sentence and just stopped, falling over backward as Jesus came for her soul.  Today, our boys are grown, both living in FL and God called my wife and I into the ministry.  We pastor a church in southwest Missouri, and cannot thank the Lord enough for all that He has done for us.  

• Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog, chipped china and 1 other like this

#16 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:48 PM

Now, this is what I call real church. The saints triumphing over fallen nature and His love binding us together. Not one person said they were leaving the forum. It was like brothers and sisters rebuking, edifying, and uplifting one another.  Praise God for small miracles.

• Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog, Charles Miles and 1 other like this

#17 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'm 'slow' at times 'slower than at other times'.... Thanks Bets!!!

Just been reading, thinking, and praying (at least sort of).... sometimes I don't even know if I'm praying or just thinking... so I read and now that I read Bet's post I 'get it'.... What started out as a simple question is back to being simplified.

At first I just thought of having a choice to share a being born again post and it being okay if I didn't.... since then I just read and knew the only testimony I had or have is Jesus saved me regardless of what I've been through since....

So many years have passed since going forward with a sincere heart.  Just remember the song was Just As I Am... and now the same song seems to fit in today for each of us being born again and us being in church... reckon this is having an 'online church' and all I can 'testify' to is Jesus loves us and KNOWS our minds and hearts....

Bets, reckon your post makes me shed some tears and have joy too.  The beauty of the Lord keeps coming to mind also....

Maybe I'm having an 'ongoing' thing.... perhaps being sanctified has days or times of being converted too.... converted from limited thoughts to being in spirit and in truth at whatever level of awareness at the current moment....

So if some things aren't real clear to me... well, just know this is why I'm having trouble trying to post ....

Thank you for being my brothers and sisters in the Lord and I praise God for us being His in His church.... a universal church is a huge thing to think of for my brain... and yet this is how I perceive the Body of Christ.... at least in part....

So thank you Bets for making me aware of what your thoughts are and tis so 'refreshing'.... we can have a posting service  and church is open 24/7 to anyone who wants to come and read and or post.

Jesus is so good to give us so very much!  Our day's and life may be personalized and individualized ... and yet each of us are in His Body .... some say local church.  Jesus the Lord is Christ the Lord, King of kings and Lord of lords .... Jesus is the head and we are His Body, this is more than a bit mind blowing for me to ponder....

May Jesus be honored by us and us loving one another Just as we are.... He saved and saves us daily.... He is building His Church because He said He would and I don't have to fret my wee brain about 'stuff'....

Thanks be to God for His Salvation and that He is at work in us....

Thankful for this verse coming to mind too:  Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Thank you brothers and sisters!

Just as I am,

Ginger

• Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog and chipped china like this

#18 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

I appreciate all of the feedback.  And READER....your testimony brought tears to my eyes....a feat not easily achieved.  Thanks for that edifying testimony.

#19 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

I spent all my life running (i thought) to something but all the somethings were not good yet always I chose the not good. I was never diagnosed but have aspbergers,not knowing what was wrong that i was so different caused me to turn this anger at times hatred to myself. I wanted to be someone anyone but me, I tried in every way imagineable to escape from me.I was not allowed to help my Mom cook or be in the kitchen when she was cooking because my brother refused to eat as he told our Mom that i was dirty and would ruin the food with my germs.....I always felt like trash and no one thought to tell me I wasn't. Not knowing anything about God left me no where to turn.I quit school at 16 despite having an above average IQ,I drove to the site to take the GED a few months later and passed easily with no studies in less than two hours. I left home then to live with a marine 900 miles away and began to grow up and have two children that are treasures. I regret I did no better raising them to know of God despite going to several churches but see trash like me belonged no place. the husband I had to divorce after his drunken threats to shoot my brains out. I tried soo hard to be all the things I thought everyone wanted.Another not good relationship left me as broken and defeated as I could be andI cried out for this God I heard of to get me outta here, I cared for my Mother along with my Dad and her weak and dying state she told me about the real God. She cried and apoligized for her errors which I happily forgave her for as I have known many errors myself.Mom became blind in her illness bit there was one day her sight was restored,we were estatic!!!!! The next day blind again Mom said God did this miracle not for her as she already knew Jesus but He did this so we who she loved might believe. God heard my desperate plea as He has known of me before I even was. I went to a church service to hear the Pastor who spoke at my Mom's memorial. As i was leaving the church after service he was at the door,he took my arm and asked me "if you die right now do you know where you are going?" yes I do I told him and walked out the door. To my shock and amazement I turned went back in and told him no I don't know.He took me aside told me all about Jesus,showed me the Bible GOD'S WORD and I turned away from myself and my sin and accepted and believed on Jesus!!!!Thank you God for saving me and now I am learning who I am in Jesus and all he wants me to be and do so others who are lost,hurting and laying broken just wishing they were gone will hear and come to know of Jesus,The Good News! He makes beautiful things and Hemakes them new,He is making me and you new right now!I realize this is long telling here,thank you for the chance to tell how amazing Our God is and how grateful I am for what He did and is still doing. I love you all here everyone of ya!
  • Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#20 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:25 PM

I would say my born-again experience was a definite moment in time, a decision, filled with emotion and God-breathed. I had a conversion that was real. There was a distinct leading-up time to it, where I could look back and see God's hand shaping events and drawing me in, even though I didn't want to "go there," whatever "there" was. But it was as the Calvinists like to say, "irresistable grace." I felt very relieved of the struggle in my soul and that there was someone I could just hand it over to and make it go away. That was the main thing I felt at that moment. Relief.

Hey, here is a good follow-up question. Once saved, why do we often pick the burden back up and try to carry it ourselves? Maybe another topic starter.

Romans 8:3-4The Message (MSG)

3-4 God went for the jugular when he sent his own Son. He didn’t deal with the problem as something remote and unimportant. In his Son, Jesus, he personally took on the human condition, entered the disordered mess of struggling humanity in order to set it right once and for all. The law code, weakened as it always was by fractured human nature, could never have done that.

The law always ended up being used as a Band-Aid on sin instead of a deep healing of it. And now what the law code asked for but we couldn’t deliver is accomplished as we, instead of redoubling our own efforts, simply embrace what the Spirit is doing in us.