Photo

Do Christians today really take spiritual warfare seriously?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

#2 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

Spiritual warfare is very much a reality today as it was at the very beginning of man. Some Christians don’t believe it or see it and some do. For me personally, I can see the battles constantly in my daily life and in the world as I encounter it. The battle is real and constant, but maturity as a Christian helps alot. For those who do not believe it or see it, that is sad and scary. Maybe an open door for them to back slide into the fallen walled.

• Julie Daube, elizabethcog and DCRyanJr like this

#3 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:33 AM

#4 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

As an intercessor and a member of the National Office healing prayer team, I experience spiritual warfare every single day. I have been awed and humbled at seeing God's power on my behalf and those for whom I pray. I could spend a lifetime on my knees just thanking Him for all the miracles I've seen Him do. . . of healing, deliverance, provision and more. For the past couple of years, the Holy Spirit has been teaching me to walk in a higher level of authority in prayer, and I have seen amazing results.

That being said, I do feel that many evangelicals are not aware of the authority they have in Christ. Many also don't realize the power of their words; instead of agreeing with what God says, they agree with the devil.

During His earthly ministry, Jesus spoke to the weather, to disease, to demons, and even to the dead and commanded them to obey Him. (See Mark 4:3–9; Luke 4:9 and John 11:43–44.) And his disciples followed His example (see Acts 3:6–7).

John MacMillan, a pioneer Alliance missionary and an associate editor of "The Alliance Weekly" (now "Alliance Life"), wrote a series of articles in the magazine entitled “The Authority of the Believer.” Based on his experiences as a missionary in China and the Philippines, the articles were published in book form. http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/1600660835

The book documents how MacMillan exercised his authority over nature, kidnappers, illness, and demonic powers. In one account, a witch doctor called upon evil spirits. A drum began to beat without anyone touching it and rose to the ceiling. MacMillan rebuked the demons in Jesus' name; the drum immediately dropped to the floor and stopped pounding.

And I agree with Christopher about the believer's maturity in Christ being key. For instance, I've been a Christian for more than 30 years, and it took me almost that long to learn many of these truths about the Christian life.
  • Beth Knight-Pinneo, Merilyn Lauffer, chipped china and 2 others like this

#5 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:50 AM

#6 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

Alan, thanks for your response. I would highly recommend that you research John MacMillan further so you can verify his claims; he is highly regarded in The Alliance and among other evangelicals who have studied spiritual warfare in depth. In fact, you may want to read the writings of Dr. Paul King, an Alliance pastor who did his doctoral dissertation on MacMillan. I had the privilege of meeting Dr. King when he visited the C&MA National Office last year.

Following is a list of Dr. King's books (they are well-documented and may provide the "convincing proof" of supernatural happenings that you have been seeking):

A Believer With Authority: The Life and Message of John A. MacMillan

Binding and Loosing: Exercising Authority Over the Dark Powers

Genuine Gold: The Cautiously Charismatic Story of the Early Christian and Missionary Alliance

God’s Healing Arsenal: A Divine Battle Plan for Overcoming Distress and Disease

Moving Mountains: Lessons in Bold Faith From Great Evangelical Leaders

Nuggets of Genuine Gold: Simpson, Tozer, Jaffray and Other Christian and Missionary Alliance Leaders on Experiencing the Spirit-Empowered Life

Only Believe: Examining the Origin and Development of Classic and Contemporary Word of Faith Theologies

All of these books are available on Dr. King's Web site, as well as Amazon.

http://paulkingministries.com/
  • Alan G Phillips Jr and Joseph Horevay like this

#7 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

• Julie Daube likes this

#8 Rich Ingles

Rich Ingles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

Great discussion, as I started to read your post I thought all would agree. So far the post I have read are coming from a committed few individuals who I'm believing are serving the Lord daily and are battling the anti-christ in all the ways he surfaces. I too have been skeptical of individual accounts from time to time but praise God I have to accept all of his Word or be accused of trying to be Him by picking and choosing which absolutes of His Word are true or not. As we all hold the testomonies of man up against the Word of God may He countinue to be honored and glorified and may we countinue to grow closer togeather as one in Christ. Thanks for your faithfulness in posting regularly.

#9 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

Hi Alan and everyone,

I'd like to give you a brief description of what I personally went through about 25 yrs ago right before I became a Christian.

By the time I was 25 years old I had been through two divorces and the emotional pain was so intense I started self medicating with alcohol. It started one day when I was badly hung over and taking a nap. I thought I heard someone in my front yard so I got up and looked out the front window. All of a sudden I realize I was out of my body and it shocked me so I ended up on my old bed at my parents house. I spent a little time wondering what was going on and then decided it was time to back to my house. I immediately sat up in my own bed and wrote down everything I experienced. After that it happened a few more times and I could feel and hear the sessions coming on. I would be paralyzed and hear loud engines. At first it was kind of cool because the floating was euphoric. Then I started thinking that I should leave my body unattended and I started to be convicted that it was wrong. Over the next couple years I stopped drinking and accepted the Lord. I started fighting not go into these stages of sleep that caused my spirit to separate from my body. As this happened I a demonic presence start visiting me. He was sensual and it was pleasurable, I knew it was wrong so I started praying and calling out to Jesus. I would hear this demon call my name and sometimes in my head I would be speaking vile words. It was a very frightening time but with the help of Jesus I was able to rid myself of "it" He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.

I learned a lot and my faith was increased. I also know we are eternal beings, our spirits will live forever whether with Jesus or without Him. We live in an illusion of time and space. I believe there are more dimensions than we know about. After Jesus was resurrected He had a body that you could feel with your hands yet he could walk through walls. Some day we will be made like Him and we will understand. Princes and principalities run this world. If you study the Jewish people you will come to the conclusion that they are not only persecuted by man but by Satan. He has been to trying to thwart God's plan since Adam and Eve. The world is always trying to get rid of them, but it won't happen because God has plans for them and made covenants with them and many will be redeemed in the last days. Blessings, Betsy

#10 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:31 PM

This is a great topic!  I believe, from my experience alone and reading, observations, etc., that a great deal of the church "evangelical" acknowledges evil, Satan and his minions.  However, I believe that we are so distracted with "churchianity" that Satan has managed to use this distraction to his advantage.  Thus, many are oblivious to the need for warfare - I've been there too; unwittingly.

My observations is that often, starting a conversation that leads into evil and spiritual warfare is viewed as "negative" or, as in a seeker-sensitive church we attended, "talk like that can scare off unbelievers or seekers, so don't talk about it".  Not that I talked about it, but if the topic came up in groups, this kind of response was typical. I think part of "faith" is believing the word and knowing the Lord's view of Satan and evil in general. So, why ignore it?

I would go further than most in spiritual warfare as far as what scripture reveals about the very evil nature of Satan and the realities of how he's messed with creation from the beginning.  Maybe even before mankind was created in the garden.  I support the Nephilim theory that fallen angels bred with women and produced demonic beings, giants, etc.  This is controversial too and can nearly be taboo in evangelical groups.  Also, the following is a very interesting and revealing scripture that I don't believe many really think about and just how this evil has permeated mankind in more than just a spiritual way; but, physically:

Genesis 3:15, "And I will put enmity between thee [Satan] and the woman between thy [Satan's] seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy  head and thou shall bruise his heel".  KJV

Note "thy seed".  Who has ever noticed that it means Satan's fallen angel seed-the serpant. Who says they have "seed"?  I know that Christ would be the one who is to cure this problem that started with Eve's disobedience.  This is the basis of the passage.  However, how can we overlook the term "seed" obviously meaning literal seed of a fallen angel in the garden?

The possible meaning of this verse recently came to me; revealed in bible study.  This has gigantic implications if we take it literally -- for spiritual warfare.  As in the days of Noah, so shall it be when Christ returns.  There were Nephilim in the land then and similar situations exist now IMO.

I know some will not like this answer, but consider it throughout scripture as this is referenced many times.  Even the Lord refers to this.

I think most of the church is distracted and clueless.  As Bessie shares her experience, we ought to know that this kind of thing is taking place all over the world.  Most evangelicals would join with mainstream science and probably say she was psychotic or bipolar or something and put her on medication.  Others would think it was cool or psychoanalyze her childhood to death. 

Maybe psychiatric meds have their place, but not for millions upon millions who are put on them for the slightest nagging of depression, etc.  I have seen psychiatrists, been on meds for anxiety and depression, etc. for most of my life.  Not now..  I can honestly say that it distracts us from even considering its evil origins.  Some have genuine illness like schizophrenia.  They  do and the meds work.  However, for the majority, Satan will work in the lives of all of us who are distracted.  IMO only.  Just observations and impressions from the Lord.

• Michael Gierhart Jr. and chipped china like this

#11 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:02 AM

I think that there are times that not only are we in a spiritual war, but we even surrender to it and open the door up to evil in our lives. Life itself is a battle and as we get burnt out on it or distracted, we neglect the battle and allow the enemy into our lives to take it over. I am certainly guilty of this. I also believe the battle will never be done until we die, have our judgment, and if so blessed, go home to haven. Even than, I am not sure our battle is done. But bottom line, yes, we are in spiritual warfare. It comes with being a Christian.

#12 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

#13 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:03 PM

-

#14 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:03 AM

I think in western countries in particular, this kind of talk has been pretty taboo, even in born-again circles. It's somewhat okay to speak of spiritual warfare and demonic activity in a general way or in a way that kind of acknowledges it, but for the most part, it's not really believed in. I think in part, it's because we do not see a lot of manifestations so therefore, we can dismiss it.

Candace said it well that it is often called something it is not, and our cities and towns are likely filled with oppressed and possessed people who need real deliverance. Society ends up medicating them, because we have sort of been conditioned to think this stuff "does not happen here." Only amongst the pagans. Speak to any Christian that used to work in the former mental institutions and they'll provide some insight.

Another aspect of spiritual activity (not that I have tons of personal experience, but have friends who do), is that demons like to hide. That works real well with the sentiment in the western world that they don't really exist, or that their activity and presence is often attributed to being something else. Perfect strategy for hiding. "You can medicate Susie, but I am still here and having my way in her life" type of thing. If demons can hide, they will. Another thing is, not all demonic activity is as dramatic as another episode. Sometimes, the person is just released by the presence of God and it is evident but not necessarily dramatic. Other times, there can be a huge struggle for control. And not to sound contradictory, but a friend who does have lots of experience said to me that once a spirit is exposed, they actually seek attention. I think we can see that in several stories in the NT where they wanted to talk, etc., and either Paul or Jesus rebuked them. They want to make a show once exposed.

A sad corollary to this is that many of us Christians have not understood angels are real as well, meaning that their activity is real also. Overall, we have somehow been taught to think these things, while scriptural, do not really happen in everyday life anymore. Like Candace said, we have been so influenced by the scientific view that the spiritual world is something we read about, but hardly ever see. Again, perfect strategy for Satan; convince people he doesn't really exist or matter. As Christopher pointed out though, spiritual activity comes with being a Christian. We ignore it at our peril. But we should not dignify or glorify it either. Jesus did not; He just dealt with it because He knew what it was and that it was there.

• chipped china and DCRyanJr like this

#15 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:08 PM

#16 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

'
  • ADVRider and chipped china like this

#17 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

Wow, this is a fantastic post.  I'm blessed by it.

#18 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

#19 Alan G Phillips Jr

Alan G Phillips Jr

Advanced Member