Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

I have been reading a book by Ravi Zacharias on the subject of walking close with God. The Title: "Cries of The Heart: Bringing God Near When He Feels So Far"

That is the book that I have been reading along with my Bible.  My prayer for the day: "Oh GOD, give me a love for the Bible and an insight into what God is speaking to me through the reading of it. In Jesus' Name........AMEN.

Is anyone reading anything that you would declare is a MUST-READ (aside from God's Word)??? Please share it if you would.   Love and peace.  Kevin

• Ginger, Rick Stein and Tkulp like this

#2 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

I am reading a book now that I would definitely consider a must-read: "100 Days of Right Believing," by Joseph Prince. It is filled with truths from God's Word about His unconditional love, mercy and grace on behalf of believers. The book contains encouraging testimonies of Christians who experienced victory over sin, fear, addictions and other strongholds by focusing on God's love for them.

#3 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

I bet that is a good one Julie!!! I read Prince's book: "The Power of right Believing" and was very blessed by what he said.  True, some of what Prince teaches seems borderline.....but I believe that he has some very good things to say as well.

I have decided that everything doesn't have to be so dogmatically black and white (except for where the Scriptures teach other-wise for instance:  "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" and so on and so forth.  Very good suggestion on reading materials Julie.  Thank you dear Sister.

• Julie Daube and Danny-deeperlifehaven.com like this

#4 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hi Kevin,
I am listening to the audio book on my way to work by Watchman Nee, Release of the Spirit. Also, I just purchased The Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee. It is a significant book and I'm just going to finish the audio before starting it.

You've read Nee too I know and, you'd probably agree that you have to re-read his writings since they are very deep. Simple. But deep too.

I really like Ravi Zacharias's book that you're reading. I read it when it came out back few years ago now. I tend to feel personally that Ravi is a better speaker than a writer. But, he's such a kind, compassionate person. Great man.

Keep on reading!

Love, Candice
  • Kevin Blankenship likes this

#5 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:34 AM

Thanks Candace.  Ya know.....your post has given me a good idea. I am going to go through all of my books today and dig out my Watchman Nee books. If I recall....I have most of them including the one you named.  I cannot walk into a Christian bookstore without FIRST heading to the CLASSICS section of the store. And....it never fails........I ALWAYS walk out with an armload of books!!!! lol  But I confess.....many of the books that I have purchased......I have not read. Especially after I purchased my Kindle Reader.  But I am starting to realize that having the book is better than having the book on my Kindle.  It is far easier to navigate through a real book than to try to find a passage on my Kindle. The Kindle DOES have a proper place though......like when I am going hunting and am sitting in a deer stand for extended periods of time while waiting for some meat to walk by.

Candace......thanks for the good BOOK idea!!!!!! I love Watchman Nee and his writings are easy for me to digest....most of the time. He really makes a person THINK THINK THINK.  And Watchman is a man who clearly walked in close devotion to Jesus.

#6 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

I haven't read much at all, but I like some of the writings by T. Austin-Sparks. Can be found on Austin-Sparks.net

• Kevin Blankenship and CamFultz like this

#7 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

Thank you for posting about the books ....

I go to T. Austin-Sparks site regularly and have daily emails with excerpts from his books can click on the bottom of the page emailed and go right to the book and check it out from the beginning.

The Knowledge of the Holy by Tozer  

http://www.ntcg-ayle...of_the_holy.pdf  and also the audio book

Listening to audios by Chip Brogden currently enjoying from downloads http://theschoolofch...ook-of-matthew/

#8 Jen Rohde

Jen Rohde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

Kevin,

http://www.cmallianc...nding-documents This is a link to our website where, under Publication, you can download and read the book, The Crisis of the Deeper Life by Dr. G. P. Pardington.

http://www.cmallianc...history/simpson This is also a link to our website where we have multiple books written by our founder, A. B. Simpson, available for free download. The following books are available: A Larger Christian Life, Missionary Messages, Service for the King, The Challenge of Missions, The Fourfold Gospel, The Gospel of Healing, The Lord for the Body, Walking in the Spirit, Wholly Sanctified.

I hope that this helps you find more inspirational reading material. If you have any further questions, please feel welcome to contact the Alliance Archives:  archives@cmalliance.org

Happy Reading!

• Julie Daube, Debbi Meyer and Kevin Blankenship like this

#9 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the links, Jen and thanks to all of you for replying. I am quite surprised that more books aren't being read by more forum members about the Deeper Life. Happy Saturday y'all.

#10 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

Several books I have found that bring me to a deeper level of relationship with the Lord..."What Happened From the Cross to the Throne", "Destined for the Throne", "A Different Kind of Love", "The Father and His Family", "The Cloud of Unknowing", "Attributes of the Holy". 

These are just a few that I keep around just to re-read again and again.

There is definitely something very special about taking books such as these, sitting down with the open Bible, and getting into a quiet, cloed room and simply worshiping and reading. 

Charlie

• Kevin Blankenship and Ginger like this

#11 CamFultz

CamFultz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Christ and Him crucified as the ongoing reality of my soul so that His resurrection Life finds present animation in my every motivation and thought.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Mercer Creek Church

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:33 AM

Ever since the Lord has taken me on this "deeper path" He asked me to write about it. He really showed me that He was my life in such a holy way in one of the Old Testament stories seen as an allegory (Galatians 4:24). Through that i began to see how all the OT stories paint the deeper life picture of the cross. That book is The Jesus Pictures.

http://www.amazon.co...z/dp/1479217190

Then God kept on showing me more from a spiritual, crucified life aspect. That just resulted in the book "Spiritual Knowledge"

http://www.amazon.co...e Cameron Fultz

During editing of the second book I discovered the late Major Ian Thomas who wrote some excellent books:

The Saving Life of Christ

The Mystery of Godliness

About a month ago I discovered another author from the late 1800s who had been also seeing many similar things:

Evan H Hopkins: The Law of Liberty in the Spiritual Life

Those would be my top three that the Lord has finally brought to my attention after taking me down the same road.

Next year I hope to publish Behold: A year devotional on seeing Christ by life. I'm truly amazed at how easy it was to come across 365+ Bible passages that opened right up into this specific vein of beholding the crucified life.

#12 robo328

robo328

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading
  • I am a Church Worker

• Church of God

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:21 AM

"Knowledge of the Holy" by A. W. Tozer, is a small book page-wise, but I am re-reading it, now, because it's spiritually deep, and I felt that I just skimmed it the first time.

"Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire", by Jim Cymblya is kind of biographical, but he has great truths for us, as The Church. 

"In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength" -Isaiah 30:15

#13 Jim Slaughter

Jim Slaughter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Retired, Board member, Awana leader, student of the Word. Love the outdoors, fishing, hunting, hiking, boating. We live in one of the most beautiful parts of creation!!! To God be the Glory!
  • I am a Layperson

• Okanogan Valley Alliance Church

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

My Name : Jim Slaughter I attend an Alliance Church in Okanogan, Wa.

I find it very interesting that the posts are from people whom attend other denomenations, I say this because AB Simpson started the Alliance as a nondenomenational organization! That being said, books by AW Tozer, all great reads. One book I am rereading is by Samuel J Stoesze, pronounced "Stayze", a professor the Lord has called home, is titled: Sanctifation an Alliance Distinctive, although the book talks of the CMA, and AB Simpson, the problems addressed are very common with todays Christian church, but that is another subject. Dr.Stoesze has othered many good books to help the pilgerm in our travels. Have a good day!

#14 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:48 AM

Some very good suggestions. Thanks sisters and brothers.

#15 Peter Burgo

Peter Burgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• ClayHouse Alliance Church

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

Kevin,

We recently came across and scanned A.W. Tozer's recommended "deeper life" reading list in the Alliance Archives. I am attaching it.

Attached Files

#16 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:41 PM

So many good reads here. Thanks for all the resources.

I'm going to add one that is a little different but brought me closer to our Lord and how He has worked in America. It's called the Light and the Glory, by Peter Marshall and David Manuel. Tim LaHaye said "It reveals our true national heritage and inspires us to stay on God's course as a nation. I personally loved all the stories from actual diaries of our forefathers. Understanding our history better cut through all the craziness of of nation today and anchored me even more to God.

#17 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

Wow, Thanks Mr. Burgo!!!!! That is VERY useful!!!!!!  I have ALOT of Tozer;s books scattered about the ouse and as many more in my book case.  Tozer NEVER FAILS to inspire me to fan the Spirit's flame!!! Thank you!   Kevin

#18 Phil

Phil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, Holy Bible, Hiking, Photography
  • I am a Layperson

• Northgate Community Church

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:02 AM

I have been reading a book by Ravi Zacharias on the subject of walking close with God. The Title: "Cries of The Heart: Bringing God Near When He Feels So Far"

That is the book that I have been reading along with my Bible.  My prayer for the day: "Oh GOD, give me a love for the Bible and an insight into what God is speaking to me through the reading of it. In Jesus' Name........AMEN.

Is anyone reading anything that you would declare is a MUST-READ (aside from God's Word)??? Please share it if you would.   Love and peace.  Kevin

Sounds great! I've read another book by Ravi and loved it. So this one is now on my list. Thanks Kevin.  B)

#19 Brian Elmer

Brian Elmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Reading/study, music, golf
  • I am a Pastor

• Perrysburg Alliance

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

I would recommend Gospel Wakefulness by Jared C. Wilson.  Although, 'my two cents' Kevin - pray that God would give you a love for Him more than His Word.  We can love His Word and 'know it well', but may never know Him.  Read to know Him.  He wants to commune with you - restoring what was lost in the Garden.

• Kevin Blankenship, Candice, Charles Miles and 1 other like this

#20 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:45 PM

I wish that I had the same determination for knowing and loving Jesus as I have for my daily pleasures, hobbies, etc etc. But the horrible truth is, I simply cannot change me. I have repented no less than hundreds of times.  I was cursed at birth with absolutely no self-control or self-discipline......or, while I'm at it........no ambition.  Not fishing for anyone's sympathy. I have discovered this about myself and I'm certainly not proud of it. In fact, I find it to be loathsome.  I want to change. I pray to change. But change does not come.......although I'm not sure what it would look like if it DID come.  But......I have no choice but to 'wait God out'.  Maybe He will  turn His head towards my plight someday and He will give grace and change and make me normal.  However 'normal' is defined.

Thanks for the book suggestion. Gospel Wakefulness. Maybe it will be a catalyst.

• Tkulp likes this