• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Interests:Missions, Africa, Cleveland and Ohio Sports
  • I am a Missionary

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Northview Alliance Church, Wooster, Ohio

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:43 AM

Mark 6.34 tells us that when Jesus saw the vast crowds, he had compassion on them.  We know that his compassion moved him to provide food for thousands of people who had come to hear His teaching.

For us on the Bobo Team, we have seen the huge number of under-nourished children that are with their moms that come to hear us teach.  That same compassion has moved us to include a seminar on food fortification in as many villages where we are asked to come and share the Good News of Jesus. 

Our initial teaching has focused on fortifying the morning porridge that children are given each morning.  By a little bit of extra work and using resources that are available locally, women can grind dried fish, peanuts, beans, and a small amount of salt to give their children some important nutrients.  Our seminars start with a discussion about the physical needs of young children who are being weaned off their mother's milk.  Then we give a demonstration on how to add the local ingredients to provide the needed nutrients.  Then we all troop outside and actually cook some of this porridge that everyone gets a chance to taste.  This is followed by a Q and A time which highlights for us some of the other health issues that mothers with young children are facing.  Then each mom goes home with a bag of dried ingredients to get her started.  Working through the local church gives us a position of influence and allows us the ability to follow-up and see the difference these seminars make in malnutrition.

Jesus demonstrated a ministry of compassion.  He saw the vast crowds that were hungry.  For us in Burkina Faso, we see the huge spiritual hunger but also the many under-nourished children.  Food fortification seminars allow us to show the compassion of Christ in the villages where we are working.  Attached File  food fortification.jpg   63.03KB   0 downloads

• chipped china likes this

#2 BillyLandahl

BillyLandahl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Coffee Roasting, Rowing, Sailing, Cycling, and power evangelism!
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • North Ridge Alliance

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

This a a great story, Andrew and Esther. I like so much that it's compassion that moves you to meet this need. You're being Jesus on the earth.  Its so encouraging to hear what is possible by adding the Love of God to the situation! 

• Andrew/Esther Schaeffer likes this

Then I was the craftsman at his side. I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in his presence, rejoicing in his whole world, and delighting in mankind. -Wisdom (Proverbs 8)