• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

Power usually means energy and/or ability. It sometimes means "authority." Spiritual power is usually thought of as God's energy displayed in miraculous ways. For example, think of God's power in parting the Red Sea, allowing the Hebrews to escape the pursuing Egyptian Army. Consider someone like Paul. Could Saul ever be a convert to Christ? Are you kidding me? He's about the most unlikely prospect for conversion that we could find anywhere. God's power brought him to his knees on the Damascus Road and he became a major factor in preaching Christ. It is true that God's power is dramatic at times. However, we far more often observe God's power as Divinely given authority. At the close of Jesus' teaching, in Matthew 7:28-29, Matthew records, "And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at His doctrine; for He taught them as One having authority, and not as the scribes." But what did Jesus teach? He preached the Word of God! Anyone of a mind to do so could preach, teach the Bible and have no results. Unless God activates the message, Spiritually, it reaches no further than the mind, if that. So, for Scripture to be effective, it must have God's authority and enabling. Why, in so many local churches, do we see little or no power in action? Over the next two or three days, God willing,  I'd like to pin-point some reasons why and offer some suggestions as to how we could see more real power. Selah! I don't believe the power has been withdrawn. I believe it has been withheld! Thinker   (Ron)

#2 Nelinden

Nelinden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Biblical Studies, Apologetics, Logic, Philosophy, Christian Counseling, Critical Thinking, Evangelism
  • I am a Layperson

• Lifeway Christian Church

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

"Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself!  Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong."

Most of us do not place ourselves outside of our comfort zones into that ultimate dependence so that the power of God will work through our weaknesses. Paul really did not want to do it… we don't want to either. You are right, God is releasing and enabling His real power for His story. Humility is a key for God's work to begin. That is mighty difficult sometimes. I think that is a root issue for most of us. We just have to continually learn it over and over and over just like Paul. I wonder if those 3x's Paul prayed were all at once, or over much time and reflection? I wonder how long it took for Paul to process this concept? Dependence and humility are two things that are hard to keep current in our thinking unless we have a constant reminder of them. 

• ADVRider, chipped china, Thinker and 2 others like this

#3 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

Simply put, what I think it means is, something will happen. If I am not mistaken, in the passage you cite, the people marveled because there was a manifestation of power connected to Jesus' words. What He said, happened. It was as the books of Acts said, "everywhere they went, the word of God was preached, with signs following." Why we don't see much of that today might be your next point maybe?

• Thinker and radar like this

#4 Vicki C

Vicki C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

Power usually means energy and/or ability. It sometimes means "authority." Spiritual power is usually thought of as God's energy displayed in miraculous ways. For example, think of God's power in parting the Red Sea, allowing the Hebrews to escape the pursuing Egyptian Army. Consider someone like Paul. Could Saul ever be a convert to Christ? Are you kidding me? He's about the most unlikely prospect for conversion that we could find anywhere. God's power brought him to his knees on the Damascus Road and he became a major factor in preaching Christ. It is true that God's power is dramatic at times. However, we far more often observe God's power as Divinely given authority. At the close of Jesus' teaching, in Matthew 7:28-29, Matthew records, "And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at His doctrine; for He taught them as One having authority, and not as the scribes." But what did Jesus teach? He preached the Word of God! Anyone of a mind to do so could preach, teach the Bible and have no results. Unless God activates the message, Spiritually, it reaches no further than the mind, if that. So, for Scripture to be effective, it must have God's authority and enabling. Why, in so many local churches, do we see little or no power in action? Over the next two or three days, God willing,  I'd like to pin-point some reasons why and offer some suggestions as to how we could see more real power. Selah! I don't believe the power has been withdrawn. I believe it has been withheld! Thinker   (Ron)

I have been keeping an eye out for your follow-up.  Is it only here in America where we see little or no power in action?

I look forward to your insights.

Thanks.

Vicki

• Thinker likes this

#5 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

May this be God's agape love flowing through you...from the greatest commandment.

• Thinker likes this

#6 BillyLandahl

BillyLandahl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Coffee Roasting, Rowing, Sailing, Cycling, and power evangelism!
  • I am a Layperson

• North Ridge Alliance

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

I started a coffee roasting company a year ago.  I sell my coffee at three different farmers markets on Saturday mornings. I have helpers working in each market, and I float each week to one of the markets.  Wherever I go, that is where the sales are highest.  The reason is no great revelation. When the owner- the one with authority- speaks about his coffee farmers, and his roasting techniques, and his company, people are astonished at his doctrine, for he teaches as one having authority, not as the scribes.  

When I am not there, my helpers speak about our coffee without having visited any coffee farms, or imported or roasted any coffee.  When Jesus spoke, He was speaking as the owner, He was there at the foundations and He knew what He made when He made mankind- all of it.  Teaching on that, He was speaking as the One who later, wrote the book- which is a sliver of knowledge about an entire realm He created.

So I have a theory that I will implement in my company based on this.  If I want people at the market to be astonished at the things they are hearing from my helpers, I will have to engage my helpers in the ownership of the company- send them to coffee farms to select and purchase coffees, roast the coffees, and have a great stake in the company.  I cannot commission them to speak on my behalf without them having ownership in this way, or they will sound like scribes.  This is the case as it is now.  Next year I expect it will be different.

To bring this all the way home, can we ever speak as those having authority, like Jesus?  I think that cannot come by just saying "we have authority in Christ." Sorry. It can only come by taking greater ownership, a greater stake in the kingdom we seek to represent.  We can do this by deciding what we actually do believe from the word of God, and putting that into thoughtful, risk-taking action, and experiencing the truth of it, and letting that stretch us to believe more.  

We're in school, and if we're not gaining experience, and exercising more authority this year than we were last year, we will only ever speak as scribes.

• Charles Miles and Thinker like this

Then I was the craftsman at his side. I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in his presence, rejoicing in his whole world, and delighting in mankind. -Wisdom (Proverbs 8)

#7 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

Billy,  I could not agree more with your analogy.  Jesus, having been in the kingdom of God from eternity, know about what He was discussing with an intimacy that none before Him had ever known.  As they saw Him, He was a man, but when He spoke of the Father and things in the kingdom, He spoke with the authority of one who had actually been there and was one with the Father.  The day He read from the scroll the Isaiah passage that described who He was, It says the men there just sat in awe for a while after He finished. I know the silence didn`t last long, but can we just imagine what that passage sounded like when read by the Son of God? When the 70 were sent out to the towns to teach and heal, they returned so excited and just bubbling over because they actually healed people and did miracles, Jesus told them that yes, He understood because He saw satan fall from heaven.....He was there!  He knew satan had been defeated and cast out.  He knew who held the power and who was the pretender. 

Why do all of us christians not have this authority?  well, maybe we are not ready to handle it just yet. All authority comes from the Father....even Christ when here on earth said  He didn`t do or say anything He didn`t hear the Father say. When we get there(not saying or doing anything but what the Father says or does), I suspect we will be given that authority.  I for one, am not there yet.

In Christ,

Charlie

• Thinker and BillyLandahl like this

#8 BillyLandahl

BillyLandahl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Coffee Roasting, Rowing, Sailing, Cycling, and power evangelism!
  • I am a Layperson

• North Ridge Alliance

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Well I guess if the question is why aren't we seeing the power of God, I think it's just because we're not going after it.  I mean just get out there- go ahead and pray for someone's migraine to be gone in Jesus' name.  

I've seen quite of few migraines go away and never come back. One woman who I thought had migraines actually had a tumor in her head! After we prayed one night, she woke up the next morning feeling great and didn't need her medicine after that! Her husband was so transformed through that experience he's gone on to a very excited Christian life!  

I'd say don't wait to see someone else doing it, go ahead and test the waters yourself!  You love God. He loves you. It's all good. Go after it! Tear down those works of the devil! Haha! God will laugh from heaven!

PS- Charlie, I like that name for Satan "the pretender"  I have a couple other names for him: "poser" and "footstool" (that one's my favorite)

Then I was the craftsman at his side. I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in his presence, rejoicing in his whole world, and delighting in mankind. -Wisdom (Proverbs 8)