Photo

“The secret of the Lord is with them that fear him, and he will show them his covenant.”

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

I was studying this morning and came to this astounding statement: “The secret of the Lord is with them that fear him, and he will show them his covenant.” (Psalms 25:14)...I have been meditating on this and desire to know you all's thoughts on this matter please.

Thanks!

chris

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#2 Big John

Big John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

Let me first say that I usually dislike posting stuff because it ends up being long most of the time.  I have a real hard time cutting down scriptures so that takes up a lot.  Also, I know I am not a good writer.  My wife always said I was a much better preacher than writer.  So, sorry in advance, for the length.

I believe that the Lord desires to share all of His secrets with His people.  But they aren't the sort of secrets that can be sussed out thru simple reading of the Word and the analysis of it.  I have to say that I always laugh (inwardly) when I read about things like someone finding a system of numbers in the bible or even a formula for when the end times will come or you name it.  Gods secrets are not known like that.  

Hebrews 8-10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: 11 and they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.  

This is His secret.  His new covenant.  He will write His laws in our hearts.  But to understand amd appreciate just what that really means takes so much more than being able read and understand the english.  Hey!  I'm not claiming to have that but I think I am getting hints.  

2 Peter1-2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, 3 according as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: 4 whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6 and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7 and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  

These things are understood by seeing them thru His eyes.  We have to be partakers of His divine nature.  Only thru the knowledge of Jesus Christ.  That is only done thru the sanctification of the Holy Spirit.  

Romans 12-1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.  

Hebrews 12-2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.  3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.  5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:  6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.  

Hebrews 5-7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared; 8 though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; 9 and being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;  

I do believe there are a few keys to taking on the divine nature that we can benefit from.  Ultimately, it is the work of the Holy Spirit.  But here are a couple things, I do believe that we can do.  Reading and study of the Word.  Building a real, fervent and worshipful prayer life.  Finding a true man or woman of God that you can learn from (someone that can respect and accept discipline from),  Accepting the discipline and suffering that comes from serving the Lord.  Learn to truly praise the Lord.

The list, I think, could go on and on but I tried to limit the list to the more primary things.  .  

Also, I am not catholic and have never been catholic but I think there may be something to the whole sufering thing.  Not gonna start flagellating myself or anything, lol.  Just something that has been floating around in my head for a couple of years.  
Big John

• Charles Miles, chipped china and radar like this

#3 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

I really like John`s thoughts in the above post.  To me, fear equals a reverential awe of the Lord and that is missing in many people today. The study of just who God is and how He relates to man is certainly not going to get anyone into heaven, but it will allow a person to, in part, gain that "reverential awe" that helps us to respond to a Holy God as correctly as possible for us.As for the suffering thing, well, we all do suffer to some degree, some more than others, but just suffering won`t get anyone to heaven either.  I see news video of these people who walk around beating themselves, sticking nails through their lips, driving nails through their hands, and other such things.  But what does it do?  Jesus suffered for us and it had an effect on our relationship with the Father because Jesus was sinless and didn`t deserve the torture and death, but we do.  Trials and problems that face us(suffering) can teach us obedience if we allow ourselves to learn it, but self mutilation thinking it will somehow help mankind, is idiotic...and could possibly be blasphemous..  That may be a bit harsh, but I think usually that kind of behavior comes from not knowing exactly who Jesus was or what His suffering and death was to accomplish.

I will forever be thankful for what the Lord did for me, and for the trouble He went through to give me the right to have a relationship with Him. What a perfect solution to a problem that seemed to have but one outcome....death.   Our God loves us more than we can fathom.

In Christ,

Charlie

• radar likes this

#4 Big John

Big John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

Hope the suffering thing isn't a distraction to anyone.  I just look at, of course Jesus, and Paul and many, many of the great people that we read about in christian history.  Suffering cannot be in anyway self inflicted and possibly be effective.  Nor can it be sought out.  

I had another thought that I should have included last night.  It is simply that the time we spend before His face, "behind the veil" that will ultimately change our carnal nature in anyway.

Big John

• Charles Miles and radar like this

#5 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

John,  Your post and thoughts were fine, and certainly no distraction to me, at least.  I cannot consider myself to have "suffered" to any great degree when compared to many others in history who were tortured and died for their belief in our Lord.  The blood of these saints is precious in the sight of the Lord and, if I read right, is kept in a bowl in heaven.  Personally, I can say that the trials and struggles I have had here on earth have taught me to trust and cling to the Lord for the peace and resolutions that I need.  When we stop and think about it, we come to realize that there are very, very few things on this earth that we can control and we learn that we cannot even control ourselves without God`s help. Trusting in the Lord will not eliminate suffering but it will allow us to recieve a peace about stuff, and the ability to "turn it all over to Him" when it gets to be too much. 

Our God is able, is willing, and is a refuge,

Praise God for who He is,

Charlie

• radar likes this

#6 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

Radar,

I like John's and Charlie's thoughts on it too. A verse that came to mind was 1 Sam 2:30 where God says He will honor those who honor Him. God will be faithful (show His covenant) to His servants who are faithful to Him (reverence Him).

#7 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Big John, I thank you that you were bold and came forward with a long article. It takes a lot of work but we go deeper so the replies will contain knowledge that can help one member of the body to see clearly and exhort and encourage that believer to continue onwards. In case you haven't notice, many times I am verbose because a fire it lights in my heart and I can share in that moment what that inspiration brought. An in depth reply helps to see we all go through afflictions and how we use the knowledge we gained in suffering, with obedience and trust (faith)  bringing forth the fruit of Victory. Obedience is victory and victory is life! Selah on that one!

About suffering, seems to be the season I am in, heard a teaching Sunday morning about it, experienced to varying degrees this week as I have for the last few months, I see God instructing me to obedient faith. To get over it and onwards with Him as the forgiven child that I am, seeking His face, and not to listen to the sly murmurings of the Enemy as I have been doing. Deception is such a deadly thing! I found a comforting article on suffering here: http://ldolphin.org/...elief/0471.html

Charles, I really hit on this statement you made: "Trials and problems that face us(suffering) can teach us obedience if we allow ourselves to learn it, but self mutilation thinking it will somehow help mankind, is idiotic...and could possibly be blasphemous..  That may be a bit harsh, but I think usually that kind of behavior comes from not knowing exactly who Jesus was or what His suffering and death was to accomplish." It's the turn it all over to Him that I have a problem with because I then pick it up and get in the way of what God is doing by my impudence and impatience.

Thanks John, I liked that reminder. That verse has been popping up from time to time during this season, but I know afterwards there will be a greater glory for this light affliction now. Keeping my eyes on Jesus!

Shalom,

chris(radar)

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."