• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

We've heard people (probably done it ourselves) remark on how good it felt to soak in a hot tub. It brings a warm and relaxing pleasure to our bodies. In the Spiritual realm, a soaking in Scripture does the same thing to our spirits. How does one "soak" in Scripture? Along with reading the Bible through in a set time frame (like in a year), single out a small portion or even a single verse. Think on it, write your thoughts down, pray over it, ask a friend how he or she understands it, look it up in commentaries and read some other translations (always checking them by the King James for accuracy). You will be pleasantly surprised by the impact that kind of concentrated investigation will have in your heart and life. Of course this assumes that what you discover, you will apply. The Psalmist evidently soaked in Scripture. In Psalm 119:97, He said, "O how I love thy law! It is my meditation all the day."  Skimming over a portion is like grabbing a few valuable coins out of a discovered treasure chest and leaving the others in place.  Thinker  (Ron)

• Charles Miles, radar and DonnaA like this

#2 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Thinker! This is exactly what I need to do now. God heard my prayer!

Shalom,

Chris

• Thinker likes this

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#3 Annette

Annette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Tozer, Watchman Nee, Leonard Ravenhill, Bible study, country life.
  • I am a Layperson

• Eglise Evangèlique.

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:50 PM

Smith Wigglesworth felt the same too.

"Two things dominated Wigglesworth's life and ministry. Firstly, he had a consuming love for the Word of God. Secondly, he had an overwhelming confidence in the God of the Word.  What the Word of God said on a subject settled the matter as far as Wigglesworth was concerned." Pg.29

"Smith Wigglesworth had learned the secret of the power of God's Word.  He said, "I understand God by His Word.  I cannot understand God by impressions or feelings.  I cannot get to know God by sentiment. I can only know Him by His Word." Pg.32

"Wigglesworth used to say that nothing substituted for the Word of God.  One reason why he was able to minister as he did was that he lived in the Word and the Word lived in him.  Because it lived in him, he was able to minister life." Pg.34

"Smith Wigglesworth - The Secret of his Power"

• Thinker and radar like this

#4 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

Smith Wigglesworth felt the same too.

"I cannot understand God by impressions or feelings.  I cannot get to know God by sentiment. I can only know Him by His Word." One reason why he was able to minister as he did was that he lived in the Word and the Word lived in him.  Because it lived in him, he was able to minister life."

"Smith Wigglesworth - The Secret of his Power"

I used to have this book and maybe still do somewhere. It's been a long time since I read it, but I wonder therefore how he "knew" to punch the lady in the stomach for her healing (if you know the story, he once did that), if he couldn't "know God by impressions." Did he have a verse for that? :D

• Glenn Rogero, Thinker and radar like this

#5 Annette

Annette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Eglise Evangèlique.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Quoting again from "Smith Wiggleswort - The Secret of his Power", Pg.18

"Rough Outside - Warm Inside

Wigglesworth was sensitive to the moving of God's Spirit.  But because as a man he was outsardly rough, some of his actions or words seemedarsh. I remember an aunt of mine who went to him for prayer concerning a stomach complaint.  He punched her in the stomach.  She screamed out, but was healed.  I have never known anyone to suffer ill effects from such seemingly harsh treatment.  Rather, I have known the reverse:  The people subjected to such teatment were healed.  A person ministering in this manner has to know God; otherwise, such actions could be disastrous.

I remember a reply Wigglesworth onc made when questioned as to why he sometimes hit people.  He said, "I don't hit people.  I hit the Devil.  If they get in the way, I can't help it." End quote.

" A person ministering in this manner has to know God." 

How did Wigglesworth know God?

I believe the answer is found on page 30:

Quote:

O how I love Thy law!  it is my meditation all the day ...

I rejoice at Thy Word, as one that findeth great spoil.

I hate and abhor lying: but Thy law do I love ...

Great peace have they which love Thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Psalm 119:97, 162, 163, 165.

These four lines of Scripture sum up the character of Smith Wigglesworth.

Wigglesworth never went more than fifteen minutes without reading the Word of God, regardless of where he was or in whose company he found himself.

Unquote.

#6 Annette

Annette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Eglise Evangèlique.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

Just read what I posted:  My apologies for all the typos !!!

#7 augdea

augdea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:36 AM

Smithwigglesworth was a false teacher.

http://atwistedcrown...-really-preach/

http://www.deception...om/strange2.htm

#8 Thinker

Thinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:34 AM

Could we have gotten sidetracked from the major thrust of my post? I ask that because our enemy would like our minds to not fasten on a thing like deep absorption of Scripture. While some of the discussion is worthwhile, let's not lose sight of anything that motivates us to dig deeper into the Word and then to apply it. Blessings! Thinker  (Ron)

• radar likes this