• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

This is actually a personal testimony - I promise to keep it short

Scripture states that obedience brings blessings and disobedience brings curses.

In Church we often sing;

"Trust and obey, for there's no other way, to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Someone once said, we never consider the value of a blessing until after it has been removed.

Having stated that, I can personally say that I have personally experienced the truth of those statements.

I went through a period of backslidding in my faith, and gradually noticed a gradual removal of the blessings which I had previously enjoyed being removed. I experienced financial losses, losses in my health and physical condition, etc. The longer I remained in a backslidden state, the worse my condition became. The more blessings I noticed were gradually being removed. I believe that God as a loving Father was discipling and correcting me out of love just as our earthly fathers have done when we were children. 

Today, because of my loving and caring Heavenly Father's spanking of me, and correcting me out of love can I say that I have learned the lesson of obedience the hard way. 

Therefore I thank and give praise to God my Father for loving me enough to discipline me and correct me and lift me out of my state of disobedience that I might once again experience the blessings He desires to bestow upon His spiritual children.

The Lord truly does discipline those whom He loves

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

Kenny
How do we know we are obeying. Well, that's obvious. But, is it going back to the law if death or getting clean before God sometimes several times daily, confessing known sin and asking "lord, what would you like if me now?" Sometimes to me that's submitting to whom He has me submit to or keep my lip zipped or just say "Your will be done" no matter how painful

I see God blessing before obedience throughout scripture!!

#3 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

I Samuel 15:22  Samuel said, "Does the LORD delight as much in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the LORD? Surely, to obey is better than sacrifice, to pay attention is better than the fat of rams.

Good subject and one that needs to be discussed and not swept under the rug for fear that we will offend. We can surely discuss these things as sisters and brothers since we are all ONE in CHRIST.  I offered my response in bold. But I left out part of it: Kenny, thanks for that testimony.  It was sorely needed during this time. Much obliged!

• Kenny likes this

#4 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

I see God blessing before obedience throughout scripture!!

Candice 

Could you please provide a few examples?

#5 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

I Samuel 15:22  Samuel said, "Does the LORD delight as much in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the LORD? Surely, to obey is better than sacrifice, to pay attention is better than the fat of rams.

I think this verse you quote is very helpful, because of the contrast between obedience and sacrifice/offerings. It's easy to confuse the two, then and now. Often, it seems the fallen nature wants to present an offering to God that we (hope) He will accept, that will put us and keep us right with Him. But He is only looking for obedience, and that usually costs far more than the sacrifice we were willing to make. So in my experience, much of what we think is obedience is our own interpretation of what God wants, and often not what He wants at all. What it looks like is performance, self-directed attempts at holiness, etc. Generally, religious activity or behavior modification that produces no real growth or freedom. On the surface, it looks spiritual, but it is all self conceived and directed. What the Lord asks for usually involves real death to something in us. How do we know the difference? If it is really a question of obedience, the Holy Spirit probably brought it up and presented you or me with it, not the other way around. And the issue is usually pretty clear when He brings it up; you don't have to guess. Then we have a choice to make.

• Julie Daube, chipped china and DonnaA like this

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

I see the sacrifice was made by Christ and our "sacrifice" is as stated in Hebrews 13:15 "By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of [our] lips giving thanks to his name."

The price He paid and my continual gratitude lays the foundation for obedience. Yet, I realize that gratitude and obedience will never equal righteousness since Christ IS my righteousness.

Funny. The Israelites said "all this we can/will do" before they received the commandments. Moses wasn't even down the mountain before they'd broken the first commandment cause they were so sure of themselves and their own self-righteousness and belief that they could obey! This is reassuring that we know it's not possible without Christ. Yet, we want to please our Father and all that He desires by allowing Him to be our Good Shepherd. I see no other way for me personally to obey. I appreciate the cost of all He did and does continually in that role.

I think that our natural humanness cannot fully grasp Gods divine self-sacrifice
  • Julie Daube and chipped china like this

#7 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

More on obedience

"God has made it possible for us to walk in holiness. But He has given us the responsibility of doing the walking. We Christians greatly enjoy talking about the provision of God, how Christ defeated sin on the cross and gave us His Holy Spirit to empower us to victory over sin. But we do not as readily talk about our own responsibility to walk in holiness. Two primary reasons can be given for this. First, we are simply reluctant to face up to our responsibility. We prefer to leave that to God. We pray for victory when we know we should be acting in obedienceThe second reason is that we do not understand the proper distinction between God's provision and our own responsibility. Victory is a by-product of obedience. " (Jerry Bridges)

True discipleship is obeying Jesus Christ and learning of Him and following Him and doing what He tells you to do, keeping His commandments and carrying out His will. That kind of a person is a Christian - and no other kind is. (Tozer)

"Brethren, I would point out that obedience is taught throughout the entire Bible and that true obedience is one of the toughest requirements of the Christian life. Apart from obedience, there can be no salvation, for salvation without obedience is a self-contradictory impossibility." -  A.W. Tozer, I Call it Heresy

If you love me, you will obey what I command (John 14:15)

obedience to the will of God is the ultimate test of our love for God, and the only true response to His love for us.

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he it is who loves me. (John 14:21,23)

If you obey my commands you will remain in my love (John 15:10)

we received grace ... to the obedience that comes from the faith (Rom. 1:5)

The measure of our obedience is an exact measure of our reverence for Him

"If you do not plan to live the Christian life totally committed to knowing your God and to walking in obedience to Him, then don't begin, for this is what Christianity is all about." - Kay Arthur 

If we refuse to obey, the probable cause is we do not believe strongly enough what God has to say about our commitment to His word, and will.

bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. (2 Cor. 10:5)

Heb 5:9 HE BECAME THE AUTHOR OF ETERNAL SALVATION UNTO ALL THEM THAT OBEY HIM. 

• DonnaA likes this

#8 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:18 AM

I think the hardest thing I've had to learn about walking with Christ is the continual surrender, the continual humbling of my soul and spirit. Without Christ we are but filthy rags so any goodness that comes from me is Him working through me. I was disciplined for years and it wasn't fun, but that's what it took to get it through my stubborn pride and worldly desires. I know I've talked about this before but it's so true. Yes, we need to obedient and we need to run the race to win but that only happens by the grace of God. He could have given up on me and hardened my heart, but our loving Savior didn't. Jesus showed me His LOVE, and that's what makes me want to live in His favor. I'm learning not to question His authority because my thoughts are not His thoughts. He knows best and is always with me to overcome difficulties and rejoice in my overcoming. That's why I try to be obedient and not react to life with the old self. It's out of love and reverence that I obey. When I trust, then Jesus can work through me. The good is Him not me. When I go through my day feeling gratitude, I'm usually obedient too. So the conclusion should be; do we know and trust Jesus enough to be obedient through surrender? The fruit produced should help us see how we're doing.
  • ADVRider, Charles Miles and Kenny like this

#9 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

"Scripture states that obedience brings blessings and disobedience brings curses." While this was definitely true for those under the Old Covenant, I think we need to be very careful about making such statements as believers under the New Covenant. Jesus took on the curse for us when He died on the cross. Therefore, those who believe in Him are no longer under a curse, and we will not be cursed if we fail to obey. “Christ redeemed us from the curse by of the law becoming a curse for us, so that in Him the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.” (Galatians 3:13-14).

As believers, we are blessed because of our position in Christ and what He did for us on the cross, not because of works, our performance, or anything we did. See Ephesians 1:3-10, which talks about how Jesus has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. Nothing is mentioned about obedience.

This is not to say that obedience isn't important; it just means that our motivation for obeying God is going to be different than it was for those under the Old Covenant, as several others have pointed out. We obey not because we want to earn a blessing (we couldn’t possibly earn it anyway) – we obey out of love for and gratitude to Jesus. Chipped China said it well, “It is out of love and reverence that I obey.” And the only reason we are even able to obey is because His Spirit is living within us.

"I see God blessing before obedience throughout scripture!!" Yes, Candice, so do I! Most notably in the gospels, where Jesus heals, delivers, and feeds multitudes without any indication that those who were blessed had performed acts of obedience prior to receiving these blessings.

The bottom line: Thank you, Jesus, for your unmerited favor, blessings and grace!
  • chipped china likes this

#10 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

those who believe in Him are no longer under a curse, and we will not be cursed if we fail to obey. 

Hello Julie

Here is the problem I have with that

That doesn't offer any explanation for the reason why many blessings I received from God were gradually being removed one by one. The more I disobeyed, the more blessings I began to notice were being removed. I initially ignored and wrote this off and assumed the same position which you hold to until the severity of their removal gradually increased. This continued right up to the day I said, OK, God, you've got my attention now, I am ready to become obedient once again. I thanked God for for discipling me out of love. Once I came to an obedient state once again I no longer experienced any more blessings being removed. The removal of blessings suddenly stopped the moment I came to my senses and returned to my Father in obedience.

So Julie, should my experience be negated?

Should I get rid of the notion that God was dealing with me and discipling me out of love as Scripture says He does with those whom He loves?

And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:

For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;

And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.  Hebrews 12:5-13

I like what Tozer once said: Tozer said . . . 

To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience. The Bible knows nothing of salvation apart from obedience. Paul testified that he was sent to preach “obedience to the faith among all nations.” He reminded the Roman Christians that they had been set free from sin because they had “obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.” In the New Testament there is no contradiction between faith and obedience.

The Bible recognizes no faith that does not lead to obedience

The two are opposite sides of the same coin. Were we to split a coin edgewise we would destroy both sides and render the whole thing valueless. So faith and obedience are forever joined and each one is without value when separated from the other

The trouble with many of us today is that we are trying to believe without intending to obey.

The message of the cross contains two elements (1) Promises and declarations to be believed, and (2) commandments to be obeyed.

He became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him.

The weakness in our message today is our overemphasis on faith with a corresponding underemphasis on obedience.

Non-obedience has paralyzed their moral legs and dissolved their backbones and they slump down in a spongy heap of religious theory, believing everything ardently, but obeying nothing at all.

"Living for Jesus a life that is true, striving to please Him in all that I do. Yielding allegiance, glad hearted and free, this is the pathway of blessing for me." - Thomas Obediah Chisholm 

Whoever keeps his commandments abides (remains) in God, and God in him. 1 John 3:24

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.  Matthew 7:21

Blessings

Kenny

• DonnaA likes this

#11 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hi Kenny,
I know your above reply is for Julie and I see your points and understand the past chastisement
If you would have died during that time of "cursedness" (for lack of a better word), would you have gone to the Father or hell?

Maybe we ought to study curse v. discipline. Look at Job. Was he cursed? Did he even disobey overtly and intentionally to even be disciplined by The Lord?? Have you or do you know someone who's had blessing seem to be removed who did nothing wrong?? I have seen this. I've also seen those who are in disibedience appear to receive blessings. Now, I would suppose we mostly look at this as a physical manifestation.

I don't like to make assumptions about anyone. So, please know that in my heart I don't think that's what I'm doing.
  • Julie Daube likes this

#12 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

Kenny, I think the problem I had with your original post was your use of the word "curse." I like what Candice said about studying "curses vs. discipline." That was a good word! I do understand that God disciplines us when we are in willful disobedience. It's happened to me, but the discipline ultimately resulted in a blessing. It was not a curse, even though it did hurt at the time. There was a time in my life when I was living in outright disobedience. God disciplined me by taking away a person I thought I loved. Shortly after this, I met my husband - this was undeserved, unmerited favor. Something that seemed to be punishment turned out to bless me greatly. 

Now, I know it doesn't always work out that way. There were other times in my life when I was truly seeking to obey God, and I suffered greatly for it. I think of Christians who are persecuted for following Jesus; they suffer greatly. Are they being cursed?  Have they been disobedient? Has God removed blessings because they did something wrong?

I think a big misconception among many Christians is the assumption that blessings immediately follow obedience. This is not always the case, as both the stories of Joseph and Job illustrate. Likewise, we often think that because someone is suffering, he or she has done something to deserve it. In other words, they are "cursed." This is not necessarily the case. Sometimes, standing up for righteousness and truth can bring great suffering upon someone. When it appears that blessings have been removed from a believer, we should never assume it was because they were disobedient.    

Kenny, I pray that you will continually walk in the favor and blessings of our King! 

• chipped china likes this

#13 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:45 AM

Hi Kenny,
I know your above reply is for Julie and I see your points and understand the past chastisement
If you would have died during that time of "cursedness" (for lack of a better word), would you have gone to the Father or hell?

Maybe we ought to study curse v. discipline. Look at Job. Was he cursed? Did he even disobey overtly and intentionally to even be disciplined by The Lord?? Have you or do you know someone who's had blessing seem to be removed who did nothing wrong?? I have seen this. I've also seen those who are in disibedience appear to receive blessings. Now, I would suppose we mostly look at this as a physical manifestation.

I don't like to make assumptions about anyone. So, please know that in my heart I don't think that's what I'm doing.

Hi Candice

You asked what would have happened if I died. 

Let me state that my post never addresses my salvation or eternity which comes after my Earthly life has come to an end, but rather, my post deals with the here and now, and especially being chastised by God in the here and now for being a disobedient child of His and having blessings gradually removed in the here and now. Secondly, you bring up the stories of other individuals which I have studied and believe. But let me make it clear, that my initial post wasn't about the experiences of other individuals, but rather as I stated in my initial post, what I was relating was my own personal experience and how God was dealing with me. As I see it, God deals with different people in different ways in order to bring about His intended result. 

John Newton once said:

"Trials are medicines which our gracious and wise physician prescribes, because we need them; and he proportions the frequency and weight of them to what the case requires. Let us trust in his skill, and thank him for his prescription."

"Pain is used as God's broadcasting system. It is the only frequency to which some persons are tuned, the only wavelength from God they are willing to pick up. Out of mercy, not vengeance, God uses pain to awaken us to our moral poverty and need. Suffering has provided an occasion for countless numbers of persons to return to God." -   Jon Tal Murphee

And lastly

" Nothing raises the price of a blessing like its removal; whereas it was its continuance which should have taught us its value." - H. More                                                                 

Living for Jesus a life that is true, striving to please Him in all that I do. Yielding allegiance, glad hearted and free, this is the pathway of blessing for me

Blessings

Ken

#14 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

Kenny, . When it appears that blessings have been removed from a believer, we should never assume it was because they were disobedient.    

Julie

I totally must disagree with the "never" in your comment

I can't speak for the experience of other people. I can only speak about my own personal experience and how God dealt with me and chastised me during my disobedience. I can now say for sure that the reason blessings from God were gradually being removed from me personally was because of my disobedience. Immediately when I ended my sin which beset me (Heb 12:1) and turned away from being disobedient was the very moment that the removal of blessings from God came to an end. It was made clear to me by God as He dealt with me.

My Earthly father chastised me and removed things from me when I disobeyed, and likewise my Heavenly Father chastised me and removed blessings when I was disobedient.

"Pain is used as God's broadcasting system. It is the only frequency to which some persons are tuned, the only wavelength from God they are willing to pick up. Out of mercy, not vengeance, God uses pain to awaken us to our moral poverty and need. Suffering has provided an occasion for countless numbers of persons to return to God." -   Jon Tal Murphee

#15 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

"I totally must disagree with the 'never' in your comment."

Kenny, you may have misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that God never removes blessings if someone has been disobedient; I was saying we shouldn't make that assumption about our fellow believers when we see them suffering. I will concede that the word "never" may have been too strong; but quite honestly, I would rather not make that assumption about any believer unless I see some evidence.

I understand that your initial post was not addressing the experiences of others. But I have seen Christians burned by other believers who made unfounded assumptions about the reason for their suffering. This is why I think we need to be careful about such statements.

Thank you for sharing your testimony of how God taught you obedience.

#16 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

"I totally must disagree with the 'never' in your comment."

Kenny, you may have misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that God never removes blessings if someone has been disobedient; I was saying we shouldn't make that assumption about our fellow believers when we see them suffering. I will concede that the word "never" may have been too strong; but quite honestly, I would rather not make that assumption about any believer unless I see some evidence.

I understand that your initial post was not addressing the experiences of others. But I have seen Christians burned by other believers who made unfounded assumptions about the reason for their suffering. This is why I think we need to be careful about such statements.

Thank you for sharing your testimony of how God taught you obedience.

Julie

I understand that other individuals have been or currently are being dealt with by God differently than how He has dealt with me. As I previously stated, God knows how to deal with each individual and the way He does certainly can and does differ among individuals. 

Therefore I personally reiterate the words penned into a famous Hymn . . .

"Living for Jesus a life that is true, striving to please Him in all that I do. Yielding allegiance, glad hearted and free, this is the pathway of blessing for me.

Blessings 

Kenny

#17 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

I must admit that it kinda scalds my behind when I hear church people (around here.....in my town) assume that someone who is having a hard time of it is somehow "on the outs" with God. The reverse logic to THAT type thinking would be that someone who is prospering and in a great mood all of the time must be "in good" with God.

I have seen many folks that appear happy and carefree who readily admit that they have no faith in a Supreme Being.

Right now, we see through a glass darkly, but someday, it will all be made clear.  But right now, all that matters, personally, is that I "make every effort that my calling and election is sure".  Even though everything isn't totally peachy for me right now is of no consequence until God opens my eyes to see that such and such situations are, indeed, chastening of the Lord. For the Lord loveth those He chastises." (paraphrased).   So really, the Bible tells me to have this new, other-worldly PERSPECTIVE in James 1:2 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance."    The worldly system is to get all depressed when trouble befalls us. But the Heavenly system is to be JOYFUL when trouble befalls us.  (Now, I am not referring, obviously, to losing a loved one.)  Anyway........my 2.5 cents. 

• Julie Daube and DonnaA like this

#18 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:29 AM

I’ve held off adding my opinion on this because I am familiar with this kind of discussion. It is a circle, no beginning, no ending. It is much like the tale of the blind men describing the elephant, each defining the whole by the small part he can touch.

Of all the variables, the one thing that is definable in the Christian experience is the reality of individual relationship, thus we cannot determine what a blessing or a chastisement is in another’s life because we cannot fully know the relationship that person has with God. To those who have been given much, much is required, is a concept few truly understand. Hint: it’s not about material things. 

We can toss out Scripture and point to words that have multiple definitions depending on the bits of doctrine that form our use, but ultimately, the only one who knows for sure if he or she is being blessed or tested is the individual. And that is determined by the personal relationship one has with God. 

If you believe you are being chastened, you probably are and only you can go through the process that answers the ‘why?’ question. I, for example,  know for sure when God is disappointed in me. I can look back and count all the times I have had blessings removed because of willfulness or disobedience. I can also cite times when I knew I was being challenged to grow spiritually through some form of tribulation. To an outsider either circumstance might look as though I was being punished. But ‘punished’ is one of those words that can be used in multiple contexts depending mostly on how one feels about being spanked or put in time out. Personally, though it’s both terrifying and humiliating to get a wake up call from God, there is an undeniable comfort in the realization that God loves you enough to correct you and/or call you to new spiritual wisdom. So, is it a rebuke or a blessing?

All I am saying is, ‘is it blessing or reproving” is a topic not easily debated because the complexities of individual relationship cannot be factored in. Frankly, one reason I came out of churchianity was because of the mandate that everyone have the exact same relationship with a doctrine. 

Notice I didn’t say God because it is assumed that if you are bound by the law of a doctrine you will have a cookie cutter relationship with God. Humans like things neat and uniform, but this is so counter to Christ’s Gospel.

For Him,

Meema

• Julie Daube, Kenny and DonnaA like this

#19 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

I’ve held off adding my opinion on this because I am familiar with this kind of discussion. It is a circle, no beginning, no ending. It is much like the tale of the blind men describing the elephant, each defining the whole by the small part he can touch.

Of all the variables, the one thing that is definable in the Christian experience is the reality of individual relationship, thus we cannot determine what a blessing or a chastisement is in another’s life because we cannot fully know the relationship that person has with God. To those who have been given much, much is required, is a concept few truly understand. Hint: it’s not about material things. 

We can toss out Scripture and point to words that have multiple definitions depending on the bits of doctrine that form our use, but ultimately, the only one who knows for sure if he or she is being blessed or tested is the individual. And that is determined by the personal relationship one has with God. 

If you believe you are being chastened, you probably are and only you can go through the process that answers the ‘why?’ question. I, for example,  know for sure when God is disappointed in me. I can look back and count all the times I have had blessings removed because of willfulness or disobedience. I can also cite times when I knew I was being challenged to grow spiritually through some form of tribulation. To an outsider either circumstance might look as though I was being punished. But ‘punished’ is one of those words that can be used in multiple contexts depending mostly on how one feels about being spanked or put in time out. Personally, though it’s both terrifying and humiliating to get a wake up call from God, there is an undeniable comfort in the realization that God loves you enough to correct you and/or call you to new spiritual wisdom. So, is it a rebuke or a blessing?

All I am saying is, ‘is it blessing or reproving” is a topic not easily debated because the complexities of individual relationship cannot be factored in. Frankly, one reason I came out of churchianity was because of the mandate that everyone have the exact same relationship with a doctrine. 

Notice I didn’t say God because it is assumed that if you are bound by the law of a doctrine you will have a cookie cutter relationship with God. Humans like things neat and uniform, but this is so counter to Christ’s Gospel.

For Him,
Meema

Meema, I am glad you chose to weigh in on this discussion - I think you articulated what I was trying to say much better than I did.

Kenny, I apologize for giving the impression that I was somehow trying to discount your experience. That was not my intention. I guess I see red flags when this topic comes up because of my own experiences going through various trials. There were times when I absolutely knew I was being chastened; there were other times when that wasn't the case, but people assumed otherwise. I know others have had similar experiences.

I praise God for the work He has done in your life! Thanks for being so open and transparent. :)
  • Kenny likes this

#20 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Maybe what is going on overall: some of us on the forum may be gifted as teachers or in exhortation, etc. Maybe if one is posting, the goal is to teach or exhort. Then, we may not need to reply to that person who's in teaching mode cause it only frustrates that person who may want to teach and not to engage in an interchange or interaction. Some are here to share and receive wise counsel or to bounce an idea around or to be uplifted. Some don't look for that here because they just want to issue a warning or prophecy.

Maybe we need to ask Gods Spirit to know when to say something or keep quiet (just not reply). Many times I see some as simply wanting to teach. Period. Do any of us sort of sit and wait and desire the last word of our wisdom? Sometimes I do this. This is just my flesh and sin in itself; nothing more. Not telling anyone else their motives.

"To sum up, let all be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a BLESSING instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing." 1 peter 3:8-9

If I'm not a blessing by lifting someone (biblically), then I ought to be silent. "For this is precious in the sight of God. "

I'm not here as the wise teacher. No I am blind and naked. Let those who are prophesying just practice it without a remark from me
I want grace. I've had enough of the rest.
  • Kenny likes this