Photo

I just recieved a new book: GOD CALLING (edited by A.J. Russell) comments?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

I haven't formed an opinion yet. This book is a compilation of writings of two anonymous ladies in Britain in the 1930's.   They would sit down, with a blank piece of paper before them and would ask Jesus how their day was to begin. And as the thoughts would come.....they would write. After a year's worth of doing this.....they gave the writings to A.J. Russell, who complied them, or edited them, or does whatever editors do.  Is this safe? You can google the books title and see excerpts on Amazon's page or I think that it may be available online in it's entirety. I ain't sure.  I have a friend that I go to church with who really 'talks it up' and he even brought me a copy, saying how much it has helped him. He is a good friend. Older than me. He is evangelical in his beliefs. Seems to be a man with both feet on the ground. Had a successful tire business. He retired from that and now farms. Very hard worker. Very excited about Jesus.  I am going to start reading it and get some idea......some flavor of the book. Has anyone here read it before?:?  Is it helpful? Harmful?    Thanks.......kevin

#2 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

I donít know anything about the book but personally Iíd be careful. Tiny warning bells on that. There are many snares in what can be called Christian Mysticism. Sounds good, looks harmless, but it leads to the craving for more. I recommend The Light That Was Dark by Warren B. Smith. 

Years ago the Conversations With God series that launched a cult started with his ďconversationsĒ with writing like that. 

Just sayiní... use discernment.  :huh: 

For Him,

Meema

• chipped china and DonnaA like this

#3 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Kevin, God grant you His guidance and confirmation in this and in all things.  Personally my idea is only my idea but it seems that some of us have been exposed to what others' say and do to the point that we can be harmed from not hearing what our Lord Jesus has to say.  I pray to be discerning and not just opinionizing so sending you a link with prayer and asking only God's will and His best for you including being protected from mere opinions. Just sharing a link and a prayer for God's richest blessings to you ... http://www.twolisten...testimonies.htm The site has other pages to evaluate if desired or led to... Blessings .... :)  these little old ladies can be a blessing... and so can writing a Dear God note or letter .... it can be interesting and a blessing to not know what to think, say, or do, and experience what comes when writing to God... Take whatever I say with a grain of salt ... Thank you for being a blessing 'brother'... praying for all of us .... hoping in Jesus coz He is the Blessed Hope... you are already blessed and may your blessings be multiplied daily ....Ephesians 1:15-23.

We love you Kevin....

Thanks Meema

PS: these little ladies didn't start any cults and have been helpful in their sharing is what this old lady believes.... <grin>

#4 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

Kevin, I would evaluate the book in terms of whether the writings therein agree with Scripture. I know mature, seasoned Christians who use similar methods to hear from Jesus and then journal what they hear Him saying to them. I honestly don't see any problem with this method when practiced by Spirit-filled, discerning Christians; the key is to filter everything that is heard through Scripture.

On a related note, many of my friends and I read a similar devotional book entitled "Jesus Calling," by Sarah Young. What I like about Young's book is that she included Scriptures for every entry she wrote. I cannot tell you how much the book has ministered to me.
  • chipped china, Ginger and DonnaA like this

#5 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

Thank you Julie.  There is a Scripture at the end of each day's entry in God Calling forgot to check to see if this be true for God At Eventide too. 

One of the entries was about self being dead... reckon was a good devotional for me to read today..... and it surely make it really simple to understand... and was truly a blessing.

God bless. 

• Julie Daube likes this

#6 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Perhaps you haven't finished the book yet, but I'd want to know what kind, if any, fruit came from their "devotions." There probably has been a saint or two somewhere that is really connected and hear(d) from God this way, but I think the reason it's dangerous as a general principle is because most Christians are likely not sanctified enough to trust their thoughts to this degree. Many Christians, I really do hate to say this, are taught in subtle ways to follow the leadings of their flesh. But they do not acknowledge this fact. So then, the process of hearing from God can, in some instances actually be a form of self-deception. I know I've done my share of thinking a thought was God's when in reality, it was just little 'ol me.

But there is a balance too. God can give impressions and thoughts to people that are His thoughts like Julie said. But personally, I'd still be careful of using this as a "method" without also discerning my own motives, thoughts, desires, etc. at those times when I think I heard God whisper something. So, not discounting their experience wholesale, but mine has been a little different. Often, I have found that the times when I do hear God through a thought or still small voice, it's almost always contrary or unexpected to what I would come up with. Not bad, just not from me. And I know it.

• Charles Miles, chipped china and Ginger like this

#7 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

John, I understand what you are saying.  As a rule I take the Scripture that comes and go do a Bible study on it.  Sometimes I just write a Dear God note or letter because I am at the end of my tether so to speak and reckon it becomes interesting that the Lord brings my focus to what is His Word and also has let me come to Him via writing ... perhaps it may be pray-writing... If the Lord lets me write a piece such as "Attitudes of Hands" I thank Him and don't believe I have a word for another person from God... just share and hope I'm not a hindrance to anyone... Reading God Calling or God at Eventide .... well, we read posts and reckon some folks have just blessed us... Thank you for sharing and generating 'thinking'... Bless you.  I am tired and may not make a lot of sense so it's good to have others be here.... maybe others may be more proficient and more discerning than I may be... all in all... well, if I'm not lead to the Word and prayer then it's just folks sharing.... even posting Scripture can send a person down some rabbit trail that is just another's reference and I surely don't want to be hindering or adding anything unnecessary... sorry ... if this don't make sense... Just will pray... hope all to be blessed and protected from anything that is just foo-foo...stuff... Thanks for asking what the fruit has been... well, for today the fruit has been to see what was shared about being dead to self (correction: it was "self being dead", A dead self.  May 3 God Calling [http://www.twolisten.../May 1 - 15.htm]) and in a comforting and enlightening way... I just get something to feed on for today and maybe a bite today and another bite of it tomorrow ... for as long as the Lord brings it to me as something to nibble on and to slowly digest... Hope this may make at lease a tiny bit of sense... God bless.

PS check my motives and realize I only want to come to Jesus and sometimes writing is all I'm able to do to focus... and use a reading program to read commentaries or whatever... have audio Bible versions .... writing a prayer takes on a different hue than thinking and saying.... hope this may make some sense to you... long ago someone said, "Write it"... and well....God just blesses us with posts and other things written.... Bless the LORD O my soul and all that is within me bless His Holy Name....  I b dun.... <grin>

Edited by Ginger, 03 March 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#8 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hi Kevin,

First of all, how are you and how's your mom doing?

I hesitate and really considered my response to this inquiry you are making. Lord, first I pray that it is of You and for You to give any counsel to Kevin. In Jesus's Name.

Kevin, I would agree with John Albert and Meema on this, as it raises red flags for me. I also ask what is the purpose or fruit to come of it? This agreement does not mean I disagree with others. It really is up to you and the Lord, and you ought to seek Him in this.

There is a such thing, supposedly, as "automatic writing." I just happened upon it months ago on the internet. I had no interest; purely accidental. But, maybe not! I recommend simply journaling your prayers and thoughts to the Lord, His attributes and praises to Him if you want to do that.

This method of writing was allegedly used by such mystics as Madam Guyon, et al, and even New Agers like Shirley MacLane. This reminds me of a Wee Gee board (Oijui?) kind of thing.

Now, I have to say that A.W. Tozer himself quotes mystics like Guyon and Teresa Avila (sp?) and this has concerned me more recently. I don't know anything else, and I nor Tozer knew Madam Guyon, et al. So, who knows their hearts. Honestly, I would not go there. New age stuff is creeping into the church at-large. I see it nearly daily and it's so sad. I'd spend my time praying against it rather than risking regret.

I really believe that you have an impression from the Holy Spirit already prompting you of caution. You just need to trust in Him.

Above all, please do not get offended with this man for suggesting this book to you. Just be aware.

Love,
Candice

#9 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

There probably has been a saint or two somewhere that is really connected and hear(d) from God this way, but I think the reason it's dangerous as a general principle is because most Christians are likely not sanctified enough to trust their thoughts to this degree. Many Christians, I really do hate to say this, are taught in subtle ways to follow the leadings of their flesh. But they do not acknowledge this fact. So then, the process of hearing from God can, in some instances actually be a form of self-deception. I know I've done my share of thinking a thought was God's when in reality, it was just little 'ol me.

John, thanks for articulating your concerns so well. Your comments illustrate precisely why we need to evaluate any communication we believe we've received from God in light of Scripture. If it does not conform to His Word, it is not from God. I, too, have been aware of New Agers who claim to have received a special revelation from God that is completely antithetical to the gospel. The difference between these authors and those like Sarah Young is that they had already rejected the God of the Bible.

• Ginger likes this

#10 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

Kevin,

I have not commented on this until now, so I could have some time to ask the Lord about some things.  I think there has been some good advice given in the above posts and what I have to say will merely add to them a bit(maybe). I certainly see no problem with sitting down and asking the Lord about the upcoming day, but I do see a red flag if I expect an answer each and every day that I plan to write down. If we sit and ask to hear a voice or get an idea every day....well, there is always someone out there who is more than willing to step right in and tell us what ever he thinks we might want to hear. He does not have to tell the truth about who he is and many, many times, the ideas seem to be just the right thing at just the right time! I, like John Albert, have asked and received on occasion, but not daily, and the ideas are from a source that is"right".  Now I will always test things such as this with scripture and prayer....and I don`t think the Lord minds us testing.  Almost always the ideas or solutions that are "of the Lord" seem to be things that I had not even considered and seem a bit odd to be doing.  I don`t understand why but this just is the ay it is. 

I know my relationship with the Lord is not anywhere near what I want, and it is obviously my problem, but I just don`t know anyone who asks for daily instructions and writes them down.  I have known some great men and women of God in my life, and although they prayed and talked with God daily, I know of none that asked for stepwise instructions each day.  Could be that some did, but if so, they never discussed that sort of thing with me.  Mr Owen Cooper, my father-in-law, was such a great man of God and had one of the closest walks that I have ever seen, and his life was one of best agape sermons I have ever seen.  But if he asked for daily instructions, I never heard him speak about it.  Maybe he did, I jus never heard him say....his life looked as if he was arm in arm with the Lord every day anyway.

All that verbose post just to say...be careful, test the spirits, read God`s word as you always do, and I would be hesitant to accept a word someone else got from somewhere to be a guide for you unless you prove it to be the "Word of God".  I hope you know that I do not mean to offend anyone at all, especially my brother Kevin, so please take this post as what it was intended...just one Christian being concerned about another.  Maybe this book is good, maybe it is not, I`m sure you will figure that out without any input from an old doctor in Mississippi.  That is why I hesitated before writing anything at all and quite possibly shouldn`t have written anyway.

In Christ`s love,

Charlie

• ADVRider and Ginger like this

#11 Big John

Big John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

I wasn't going to say anything, either but since we have so many opinions I thot I might as well join in.  Woo hoo!!

Seriously, as has already been mentioned, reading something like this does smack (possibly of the automatic writing or other new ageie kind of stuff.  But my caution comes from a different angle.  I also like to write some of the things that I feel God speaks to me.  I think that it allows for time to contemplate and test the words.  But even more importantly, there are simply a lot of things that I think/feel God is saying to me that may NOT be Him.  So, I keep it to myself.  If I choose to share it, it is with one or two christian friends who I have grown up with in the Lord for over 30 years.  People, whose solidity I trust and who know me well enough, to trust me.  And since my chidren are in their 30's and have been founded since their births, I will often share with them. 

I don't trust anyones broadcasts of such things.  I will read or listen but I have to hear Gods voice in it or I dis-regard it.  I think that is a key.  Anyone can use right words but one must try the spirit.

Hope I've managed to confuse the issue some more.  Lol.

Love ya, Kevin

• Julie Daube, chipped china and Ginger like this

#12 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

Back again. Home now and dinner is over, so more time to reflect. I will say I am writing about these two ladies and their book, and I don't even know what it's about. So...

Ginger, I hope I did not imply in my post that God does not speak today or give impressions. I guess my earlier post, being rushed, could give that impression, pun intended. :D I mainly was addressing the topic from a certain perspective that in my mind, is often abused, especially in America where we are affluent and pretty comfortable, in itself, not wrong.

Anyway, I believe God still speaks, I'll use the term, "directly," to His people at times. I don't know much about the mystics either, but I think probably some of them were really plugged-in and heard from God. We must remember that just because something sounds weird, does not automatically mean it is off. Jesus might have appeard weird; they said He had a demon. He spit in people's eyes, etc. So there are strange callings, gifitings, manifestations, etc. But referring back to the point about the perspective that gets abused, I think the main question we have to consider is, What is the person's true spiritual condition before God? Are they broken? Do they truly walk close with the Lord, manifesting the fruit of the Spirit? Do they manifest the love of God? I would trust a person like this to be a good candidate that God leads them. But so few of us have this walk, where God can trust us with intimate knowledge. I don't think it is that God would not want to share things; it is that the things He would share are spiritual, and we are often distracted with our "stuff," even some things we consider important, even spiritual. It's incredibly easy for desires and hopes to get in the way of what God would want to say. And another pitfall could be that we think God wants to talk all the time. Then we start hearing voices! :D I know, I know, there are those that say God is always speaking and we just aren't listening. Not sure that is the case. Think of your spouse here if you have one! We have to learn to be at peace when God is silent too, and not in our impatience and worry, start surmising what He meant or asking, Why is He taking so long?!!

So, a couple of things I am not saying. I am not suggesting that God only speaks to His special, close, children and not to all of them. I am not implying there is some special super-spiritual status (wow, 5 Ss) to attain where one gets to hear more from God, perhaps. Conversely, I am also not saying these women didn't have something special with the Lord. Perhaps they did and God honored their faith, because their hearts were pure. That could be true for anyone of us too. And possibly, what they wrote about was simply their own walk, not to be imitated, just expressed. Man, I am really rambling. Can you tell? :lol: Perhaps this is not Spirit led! :lol:

Bottom line, just make sure when you start flipping Bible pages and/or sitting there in a trance that you weigh very carefully what comes through the old noggin'. I know I am not one where I'd trust that every thought was the Lord. So, better yet, don't do it (even though we all have; admit it! :D). But God bless those ladies (now gone) if they really heard from God that intimately because they had clean and proven hearts. Lastly and most importantly, don't be too anxious to hear from God for your needs or desires. He knows what they are and if we simply seek to love and trust Him, He will do the rest, even if that means telling you directly. But if we trust Him this way, we will not always have to hear Him. We will know Him.

• Julie Daube and Ginger like this

#13 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

I certainly appreciate all of the replies.  I, too, did some internet research (for what it's worth) and I saw the phrase "automatic writing" mentioned many times when this book was mentioned.  I think, (it is late for me, I am usually snoozing by now) that only one of us (besides me, of course) has actually read the book: (Ginger? am I correct?)  Well, I am going to give it (the book) a read. I will begin by praying for discernment. And we'll see, or rather, I'll see what comes of it.  If my faith is strengthened......if my love for Jesus is deepened if my love for my fellow man, and even more-so....my fellow Christians is deepened, then it would be difficult for me to attribute it's existence to the prince of the power of the air. But I will read cautiously.  I mean.....I made it through The Power of Right Believing by Joseph Prince with no lasting damage.  I am reasonably sure that no devils of deceit and trickery went streaming through my eye-gate. 

Here's a little tid-bit: Hannah Whitall's Smith's book" The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life did more to pull me towards Jesus than to drive me away in my early years of being in the faith.  From what I understand about her, she later became a Universalist in her beliefs just before she passed. I think that I am correct on that. And ya know.....that upset me for awhile. I thought about tossing her book in the trash. But it had kept me company for many a night as i read and was made hungry to know more of Jesus.

I guess that what Jesus said  to his disciples when they rushed to Him and said :"And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me."    But this passage may very well not even fit our discussion here.  I sincerely want to thank all the repliers. I sense your heart. And I can sense only love.  And I KNOW that love is the correct direction to take.  I'll get back with y'all on the book.  Who knows. I might read a page or two and something in me will just not bear witness......OR.......maybe I am in store for something awesome.   All that really matters is the Love of God and the fact that He devised a plan to rescue us from the present evil age. HE's just wonderful like that, ain't HE??

• Charles Miles and Ginger like this

#14 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

Thank you John and Charlie and Candice and Julie and Big John and most of all Thank you our Lord Jesus.

y'all,  anything that is 'new age' is 'sickening' to me. Have had to deal with some folk 'up close and personal' over some things that were not in line with what Jesus says.

Over 40 years ago 2 dear friends got into reading some 'Casey' books and they wound up letting me know that I was right to warn them and that the Bible and what they were reading didn't line up.  They became born again and we thanked God for His Salvation and His Word. 

Maybe standing for and with the Bible says is the most sound ....  

Can always meditate on The Lord is my Shepherd....

Anything I'd say or write are only my methinks.... reckon we all have thoughts and the best Scripture about many thoughts has to do with bringing every thought captive to the obedience of Christ....

God bless.

Love and prayers,

Ginger

• Candice likes this

#15 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:33 AM

I read the Preface to thebook last nite (yes, up early again this morn......had a weird dream about bear country LOL....(there ain't a bear for hundreds of miles) and the editor makes it very clear that noone is claiming verbal inspiration to these thoughts, In fact, in the foreward by the ladies, one of the ladies said that she was not at all successful.......that her mind wandered much to much about trivial things, and that she simply wasn't getting anything. She said her friend was, They were both very very poor ladies, according to them, who saw endless hardships and worries, again, according to them, and they were, it would seem from their preface, at their wits end.  I got sleepy and stopped with the forward. I noticed that the things are dated from Jan 1 to Dec 31st.  It won't hurt to read what today's is. I just got through reading Tozer's (which was good and always is....but I am biased and think that everything Tozer writes is/was good). His devotional's are just compilation's from his books....which in turn, for the most part i think, was just compilation's of his sermons over the years.  So far, and this is taking all replies into consideration, things seem harmless.  I have a fair head on me for what is scriptural or what is derived from the Bible and if anything strays from that, I will chunk it into File 13. If not, then perhaps I will be one of the many who are blessed each year by reading this little devotional.

• Ginger likes this

#16 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:25 AM

I am burdened to say this. I see the hesitancy of many to address the angst that comes with discernment. We donít want to seem shut off or  inflexible or hard or un-accepting. After all, God is able to do anything with anyone in any way He chooses. Right?

But as I read each comment I felt an anxiety rising up that I have experienced before. Call it a red flag, a warning bell, a quickening of the spirit. My fear is that we are too afraid of offending to stand up and speak a truth. But is that not what we are to do?

I went to Amazon and clicked through a preview of the book. It starts off okay. Each day goes a bit deeper into the process. And then this:

Hoard Nothing

Love Me and do My Will. No evil shall befall you. Take no thought for tomorrow. Rest in My Presence brings Peace. God will help you. Desire brings fulfillment. Peace like a quiet flowing river cleanses, sweeps all irritants away.

You shall be taught, continue these prayertimes, even if they seem fruitless. The devil will try by any means to stop them. Heed him not. He will say evil spirits may enter in. Heed him not.

Rest your nerves. Tired nerves are a reflection on, not of, Godís Power. Hope all the time.

Do not be afraid of poverty. Let money flow freely. I will let it flow in but you must let it flow out. I never send money to stagnateĖonly to those who pass it on. Keep nothing for yourself. Hoard nothing. Only have what you need and use. This is My Law of Discipleship.

----------------

There is always a tiny seed of truth at the center of good sounding lies. 

Dear ones, please understand that what I say comes from hard knock experience. Satan knows the buzz words. He speaks in a type of code that imbeds concepts and gently adjusts thinking with vernacular we are all to ready to accept. We see what our fallen self is preprogrammed to embrace. 

It isnít the words, it isnít the concepts - itís the process that is the snare. Itís like prescription pain meds. They do the job of dulling the pain but then they hook you so that all you can think about is getting more.

When has God ever said, pay attention even if it seems fruitless? 

For Christ,

Meema

(Thessalonians 2:7) For the mystery of lawlessness doth already work: only [there is] one that restraineth now, until he be taken out of the way.  (2:8) And then shall be revealed the lawless one, whom the Lord Jesus shall slay with the breath of his mouth, and bring to nought by the manifestation of his coming;  (2:9) [even he], whose coming is according to the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,  (2:10) and with all deceit of unrighteousness for them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.  (2:11) And for this cause God sendeth them a working of error, that they should believe a lie:  (2:12) that they all might be judged who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

• Kenny likes this

#17 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:23 AM

I looked this book up on Amazon and read the first 5 days. I liked it. These women come from hard times when they had to trust God even for food. They also get down to basics like not hoarding anything. God will provide if we let what He's given us flow to others. They didn't believe in helping others unless they too paid it forward. Interesting and not something we do today. Sure we all give but mainly it's what we can spare. Interesting, I may buy this book.

Discern the truth with the Holy Spirit and with scripture, discard the rest. Trust the Lord will protect you if you are looking to Him.

Oh, I just read your latest entry Kevin, and you got it under control. :)

Meems, I'll need to think more about what you said. I think the fruitless question is inferred in scripture. Prayer and faith can influence God in things like softening someone's heart. Giving up when something seems fruitless doesn't seem sound either. I may be having difficulty understanding what you are saying.
  • Ginger likes this

#18 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

Was writing a post ....    

Decided to deleted the words I'd written. 

Reminded that I'm to give thanks in all things...

#19 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

I am burdened to say this. I see the hesitancy of many to address the angst that comes with discernment. We donít want to seem shut off or  inflexible or hard or un-accepting. After all, God is able to do anything with anyone in any way He chooses. Right?

But as I read each comment I felt an anxiety rising up that I have experienced before. Call it a red flag, a warning bell, a quickening of the spirit. My fear is that we are too afraid of offending to stand up and speak a truth. But is that not what we are to do?

I went to Amazon and clicked through a preview of the book. It starts off okay. Each day goes a bit deeper into the process.

Hi Meema,

I hear what you're saying here. I really would advise Kevin precisely this: "DON'T GO THERE BROTHER". HOWEVER...We are on a forum, Kevin has free will, and I cannot know what the book says because I'm not even willing to start to read it, even to research it. That's how strong an impression the Spirit of God put on me. Yet, Kevin was simply going to read it. Not necessarily practice it. I wouldn't read it because I just know. Period.

You, yourself, did go to the book and read some of it. That's a step towards knowing with discernment that I did not care to take. Good for you. Now, you can objectively show what it says. I wouldn't even go that far since I already know. Still, I'm not the Holy Spirit to Kevin or anyone else here. Kevin will do as he wants. So will everyone else. So will I. I truly believe, in the end, after all sound counsel, after knowing the Lord, we all do exactly what we want.  Right or wrong.  Good or bad.  Period.

I appreciate your sharing your heart here on this because you're being completely honest and up front about it.

Blessings,
Candice

#20 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

That which has been is what will be,
That which is done is what will be done,
And there is nothing new under the sun. Ecc. 1:9