• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

How do you trust a person you have never met personally?

Have you ever met Jesus personally?

Do you trust Him?

#22 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Kenny,

I so get what you are saying and am not disagreeing with you. However, You know exactly what I am talking about. I am clearly talking about people on the web you have never met. Would you just trust them? Or would you use safety? If you want to trust people on the web you never met, that’s on you, but I won’t. To me, that is just not safe. In person before trust and no, I am not talking about Jesus. That is a completely different thought than what I am saying.

#23 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Why do we have to place deep meaning or have strings attached to friendships. Can't we just have moments where we meet spirit to spirit through God's Spirit?
  • Julie Daube and Meema like this

#24 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:03 AM

Why do we have to place deep meaning or have strings attached to friendships. Can't we just have moments where we meet spirit to spirit through God's Spirit?

That's the a golden nugget of wisdom. 

• Julie Daube likes this

#25 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

Kenny,

I so get what you are saying and am not disagreeing with you. However, You know exactly what I am talking about. I am clearly talking about people on the web you have never met. Would you just trust them? Or would you use safety? If you want to trust people on the web you never met, that’s on you, but I won’t. To me, that is just not safe. In person before trust and no, I am not talking about Jesus. That is a completely different thought than what I am saying.

Christopher

Personally, for me, I don't have to trust people in on-line forums. I merely have to enjoy the times of on-line fellowship which I enjoy with other brothers and sisters in Christ. And it also helps to have the gift of discernment.

• radar likes this

#26 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Kenny, good point I did not consider. Thanks. My mind is working with better insight. Blessings to you.

• radar and Kenny like this

#27 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Christopher wrote: "For me to be friends with someone, I need to feel I can trust them. How do you trust a person you have never met personally? Someone who is behind a computer screen unknown to you by any means other than what they want you to know ( or think ) of them? I need to know the person, trust them before I can be friends with them. I don’t see how this is possible to do from behind computer screens."

Christopher, you are not alone in those sentiments. I know many people who are very careful about whom they friend on FB and who only accept friend invitations from people they know personally. As for me, I will consider accepting a friend invitation from someone I haven't met if they are friends with someone I know (I guess I'm assuming that most of my current friends are good judges of character). Also, if a friend of mine specifically recommends a friend to me, I will usually accept such a request (often people do this if they feel their two friends have something in common). But I rarely accept friend invitations, especially on FB, from total strangers who have no prior connection to anyone I know. It just doesn't seem wise to me. For me, it's not so much a matter of trust but of being prudent. I will make exceptions once in a while, especially if I visit the person's page and see something there that resonates with me (this is where the Holy Spirit and the gift of discernment come into play).

#28 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

Befriend many, unfriend those that annoy you.