Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Ensley Alliance Church, Pensacola FL

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

What is the Alliance's standing on fasting?

#2 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

The last time I heard it brought up at the Alliance Church I attend, the main consensus was that fasting was neither commanded nor forbidden in Scripture and that it can be spirituallly beneficial if done for the right purpose.

#3 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:31 AM

I'm not sure of an official stance, but if you visit our search page and type fasting you will find many articles and council notes, etc. that mention fasting. Just go to http://www.cmalliance.org/search and give that a try. I will also let some of the staff here know that this question has come up in the forums to see if anyone has some thoughts on the topic.

#4 Dan Wetzel

Dan Wetzel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • I am a National Office Worker

• Front Range Alliance Church

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

The Alliance does not have "position" on fasting, nor is one really necessary. As Kenny has said, it is neither commanded nor forbidden and when practiced in a proper manner in order to give attention to one's spiritual development it can be beneficial. But, fasting is not a magical exercise. Its purpose is to set aside lesser things, even necessary things such as food in order to concentrate upon spiritual need.

• JHallNAC and Sarah Baker like this

#5 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Boulder Street

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

I read a little book I had picked up a long time ago called, "God's Chosen Fast," by Arthur Wallis. It's fairly comprehensive and I think it is considered somewhat of a classic on the subject. 

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

John Albert
Thanks for the resource. I agree that whatever the outcome of fasting, along with continuous praying in the Spirit. (Which can be confusing term ), it ought to increase the glory of God to others and edify His church in some way as spiritual breakthrough can do this. Jesus said. "....when you fast.... " not don't fast nor even "if " you fast. I guess that could be a post in itself!

#7 Gordy

Gordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Ensley Alliance Church, Pensacola FL

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

I asked the question to a friend at a recent retreat.  His response was, "there is none, it is Biblical"  that is all I needed, but keep up the discussion going.